Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > DEMOCRATS TAKE THE HOUSE. THE END OF TRUMP?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LeFouGamboj
Msg: 176
view profile
History
DEMOCRATS TAKE THE HOUSE. THE END OF TRUMP?Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Drac

Is he really considered far left?

on the surface he is.......at least socially

"Beto O'Rourke is the new Obama. And that's the last thing we need

I wouldn't agree with that.........if you have to place him in a catagory as such (which I try not to do), then I'd guess that he seems to emulate a modern day version of Robert F Kennedy...........without money.

Beto O’Rourke frequently voted for Republican legislation, analysis reveals

Yes, but look at the state where he is in...........in Texas, you won't last long if you vote like a North-eastern politician.
Besides, that will broaden his appeal to moderate Repubs
Remember that he narrowly lost the Texas senate race to Ted Cruz...something like 48 to Cruz's 50.
Thus, the question that might be asked is:.......did he do well in a close race because he sided with various Repub positions in a highly conservative state.....or did he lose a close race, because he wasn't "democratic enough" for many Democrats

A liberal heartthrob who votes with Republicans

then how the hell could he be the "new Obama"?

If he is the future for american politics

who said that he is "the future of american politics"?
All I said that he is a charismatic man, who is able to connect with people
From what I read about his voting record as congressman...I will agree that he seems to be more right leaning than the "average" Democrat.........but in Texas, he is still regarded as way more left than Ted Cruz.

H0w that will pan out with the Democratic party...I don't know
But I know that if he displays a "kennedy-like" aura....then he won't have too many problems getting people on board.
and when you come down to it.............you win elections by getting more people to vote for you than your opponent, and so I'm sure that Democratic leadership would "look the other way" on certain things he voted on.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 177
view profile
History
DEMOCRATS TAKE THE HOUSE. THE END OF TRUMP?
Posted: 12/26/2018 9:51:44 AM
"Yet millions of white working class voters who voted for obama TWICE then voted for trump. But hey the 'racism' comfort blanket explains that eh?............"

>>it doesn't logically make sense, does it? and yet, let's look at those evangelical trump apologists. They think adultery is a sin, yet they love donald trump. and its not just trump, when Newt Gingrich was a thorn in Bill Clinton's side, they overlooked his serial adulterous ways as well. where's the logic in that? there isn't any. so maybe other trump supporters share a lack of logic. all i can say is, i live in a small homogeneous town, outside a city that is economically poor like many who voted for Trump. unlike them, however, the population is mostly hispanic. when this city is discussed in my small town, the nice folk eventually get around to a sentence that begins with:

now, i'm not a racist.....but....

and then we hear about how "those people" play "their music" too loud, that "no one there" speaks english, that there's a lot of drug dealers (and who do they sell to? oh yeah, the rural kids from my town who can't find anything else to do), and so on and so forth.

but, hey, they aren't racist. racists are people who live down south, and put on bed sheets and burn crosses. you know, those bad people. My neighbors don't do that. in fact, they have nothing against "those people", so long as they act like middle class white people, don't move in and lower the property values, and don't complain about their problems--certainly, don't take a knee during a football game. 'cause that's holy time. as long as "they" stay to "their place", then there's no need to be racist, and so we aren't racists. and they honestly believe that. xenophobia isn't racism to them.

Vlad, you once introduced me to some comedy from your country, so as a late Christmas present, i'll offer to you something you can find on youtube if you have the time. look up "SNL black jeopardy". i liked the episode with Tom Hanks, it was a biting satire about how we are all the same.

as for Beto O'roarke, he could be the new progressive face. which most people think america is not ready for yet. but what followed the great depression of the 1930's was the New Deal. chump could drive america down so far, a real populist gets traction.

caught the movie "Vice" on christmas. it may be depressing b/c its real, but i still recommend it.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 178
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2018 1:08:27 PM
GTO
Merry crimbo mate. I had a beltin day. 11 of us at my lassies. Boss day.

Now.........

""Yet millions of white working class voters who voted for obama TWICE then voted for trump. But hey the 'racism' comfort blanket explains that eh?............"

>>it doesn't logically make sense, does it? and yet'

It doesnae does it? Yet you never had a shot at an answer about the millions of obama voters who then voted for president the donald.

Now i understand the point you are saying as regarding 'I'm no racist but'.

But then i read in the liberal news outlet the guardian about citizens in mexico where the migrant caravans have arrived kicking off and telling the migrants to 'go home'.

Or just today in our press about migrants being attacked in kosovo.

So why do these incidents tend to get overlooked mate?

Are the mexicans and kosovans 'not racist but'?

I can understand citizens abandoning the main stream political parties. When you have nothing what do you have to lose by voting for someone whom you know will piss off people who never cared if you lived or died?

Until you voted for someone THEY hated? The ones who never bothered about you before?
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2018 10:56:29 AM
Vlad, glad to hear you had a wonderful holiday, hope your new years' goes just as well.

"Yet you never had a shot at an answer about the millions of obama voters who then voted for president the donald."

>>>if you google "obama trump voters" (every time i try to pull up multiple screens here at the library, i lock up the computers, so no long quoted posts like i used to do. i'm sure everyone's unhappy), you'll find articles attempting to explain why people who voted Obama then voted for the man who questioned his birth certificate (interestingly, Trump never asked to see McCain's birth certificate, even tho he was born in the Panama Canal Zone--tho the whole argue is flawed b/c the constitution is a little vague in explaining exactly who is ok to be president--ted cruz, for example, was born in canada). some say the obama voters were really "obama republicans" who have troubles with immigration and multiculturalism. is that prejudice? if so, is prejudice based on skin color of immigrants (no one is asking for a wall around where Melania came from) or culture, racism?

if i truly wanted to stick it to the Establishment and wall street during the election, i'd trust a populist like bernie sanders before a rich dude promoting nativism like trump (i'll argue that trump promoted not populism, but nativism, and people do get the two confused). but back to the point above, if you look up the articles, you'll see some that say it wasn't an issue about race, and others that say it was. i think the findings rely on how exactly you ask a voter a question. i posted before about white people i knew who have no problem with "other" people, as long as those people don't live near them. but if you point out the south used to do it, and when that sentiment is institutionalized its labeled "segregation", then those same people once again tell you they aren't racist.

racism apparently comes in varieties. if Obama had been darker skinned and didn't have his midwest accent (over here, we pick news anchors who have a midwest accent b/c it doesn't have any sense of "regionalism" to it) but spoke like some inner city rap star (or whatever other voice grates on their ears), i do want to hope those fine people would have still voted for him over McCain the "RINO" and Romney the elitist. Interestingly, Vlad, you brought up the point about migrants getting the backhand in Mexico. but if you research it, you'll find...that happened in Tijuana, while other cities welcomed them with open arms (or at least futbol stadiums). so yes, hate can be in certain places yet not others, and only half the story comes out. hatred and violence seems more exciting than Christian behavior.

on an off topic, the don's pullout of Syria is interesting. this guy is supposed to be the fart of the deal, yet he didn't do a deal to save the Kurds or anything else of value? he just tossed in his trump card (pun intended) to get his voting base back on his side? we'll probably still do drone strikes and the occaisional roadtrip by special forces, but without our footprint on the ground, how long until another story of "gas attack" by the Turks or the Assads?
 vlad dracul
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2018 5:15:21 AM
GTO
Crimbo was boss mate. 11 of us at the table for food. My lassie and her man done us all proud. And i hope you are looking out for the Hibees score today at the football?

We play our city rivals the merricks down at our place. 5.30 kick off. My mate will be here soon and we shall be hitting the Iona Bar down Leith.

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/iona-bar-edinburgh

If you ever visit my way we can have a pint in there.

Anyhow

"Interestingly, Vlad, you brought up the point about migrants getting the backhand in Mexico. but if you research it, you'll find...that happened in Tijuana, while other cities welcomed them with open arms (or at least futbol stadiums). so yes, hate can be in certain places yet not others, and only half the story comes out. hatred and violence seems more exciting than Christian behavior."

Yes the migrant caravan did get looked after. But in towns that they were passing through and not stopping. I'm sure some of the caravan will find work in tijuana and they will be payed less than locals. Which in turn will lead to resentment.

In both our nations the gulf between rich and poor is getting larger every year. Throw economic migrants into the equation and you reap what you sow. Again i will state that citizens who struggle by week after week having nothing to lose by voting for candidates who the elites and the lying press hate..............

"on an off topic, the don's pullout of Syria is interesting. this guy is supposed to be the fart of the deal, yet he didn't do a deal to save the Kurds or anything else of value? he just tossed in his trump card (pun intended) to get his voting base back on his side? we'll probably still do drone strikes and the occaisional roadtrip by special forces, but without our footprint on the ground, how long until another story of "gas attack" by the Turks or the Assads?"

I think he has made a move that will benefit shermanland eventually. Turkey is a nato member. And nato rules state one in all in. Assad is the winner of the civil war. Only the russians (i think) are legally there because assad asked for handers.

Perhaps we should have just let them all get on with it instead of bombings and regime changes (which i also believe is illegal under international law) which the neo liberal globalists craved.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2018 10:48:34 AM
"if you ever visit my way, we can have a pint in there"

>>>thanks for the offer, and if you're in my neck of the woods, I'll buy two pints...i'm told our beer is weaker than your's :)

"in both our nations, the gulf between rich and poor is getting larger"

>>>it is, sadly, and mostly due to attempts by the elite to kill off the middle class. Tax cuts for the rich, for example, mean the middle class pays more (the poor pay little to nothing in taxes). the middle class used to form by rising up in the military (thru promotions on the field, getting benefits as veterans) or working for local governments or getting a union job at a factory. as the factories disappear, wealth is now generated in service or tech jobs. over here, a large amount of the wealth isn't created by creating a new company, its inherited wealth, with tax laws to protect and promote it being passed on to the next generation (as opposed to, say, getting taxed away and spent by the government. we can debate the merits of that, but there's a lot of government services we all take for granted).

will immigrants perform in service and tech sectors better than the citizens still trying to get into mining and factory jobs? that may be a salient question in the near future, assuming service and tech are the new growth fields. there's a city near me i've mentioned before, they turned themselves around by investing in art and entertainment. the city hosts a small event (discoverputnam.com if interested), people who are sick of staying home in winter go, they notice the restuarants and the antique shops and other things, and before they know it, they've spent money. so not all towns need a big business to move in (amazon in new york) to put people to work.

but we all are going to have to think outside the box. things are changing, no matter what. i think voting against unions doesn't help in the least, that thinking higher learning is either the silver bullet or something of scorn doesn't help (its in the middle, and its not for everyone), and i wouldn't trust a rich investor to save me from the rich. but i may have mentioned these before :) if we as a nation return to the 1920's of super rich Gatsbys and everyone else, we shouldn't be surprised a New Deal democrat gets traction in an election. but what also came out of the 1920's was isolation and nationalism. we'll see how things go in our lifetimes.

as for the syria thing, i'm honestly torn. i never supported the republican neo con push into Iraq. some of the Kurdish groups do engage in what we label as terrorism. i'm not certain pulling out Assad results in anything less than Beriut 1983. we don't belong there, but to quote colin powell, you break it, you buy it. or in this case, you make allies, you better have their back, and america has a long history going back to the Hmong in Vietnam of fvcking our allies who fight for us so we don't have to send so many body bags home. the big problem is the Kurds sit on a rich oil field. still, it would be nice to have a diplomatic solution over a military one--we tried the latter, and now we're declaring "mission accomplished!" when its probably really starting (i'd be pleasantly surprised if syria gets peaceful again in the next 3 years)

on that note, happy new year to every one of us :)
 platitude545
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2019 8:53:58 AM
You and I think somewhat alike GT...we both recognize the Grifter our President is, we both recognize how in the United States....equal opportunity is BS...that we are far down the spectrum when it comes to such opportunity compared to Europe...we both recognize the issue with growing inequality and the BS Republican Tax Plan that almost completely favors the elites and Trump himself, doing nothing for the working man, and we both have issues with the US War Party.

Vlad I think just doesn't understand. In a sense, he is part of Trump's base. Things may be tough in Scotland for the working man and that Translates into Vlad and other Trump supporters wanting to burn down the system...and they see Trump as the bomb. What Vlad does not understand is that Trump is and always has been a total fraud and that he is not burning down the financial system...he is burning down the financial protections that protected the workers and benefiting for himself and his family. Trump, as we both recognize, has nothing but contempt for the working man and almost anybody but whom he considers other elites.

He is also the most short sighted President ever....breaking down environmental protections responsible for clean air and water, for short term profits....killing the economy through trade wars and tax cuts...contributing to rising interest rates....but its all the Feds fault of course in the Trumponian world.

A despicable man...a grifter, manipulator and Narcissist...and yet Vlad supports him because he doesn't understand the trump psychosis.....no accounting for American Born Trump supporters though

although, in my opinion, his taking on the war party is a good thing. So he is not all bad.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2019 9:34:01 AM
America's economy has long been a zero-sum game. even in the 1950's, when we think there was a job on every corner, we forget it was best for the WASP male. Rosie the riveter did a fine job building our war machine, and when GI Joe got home, pushed her out of the workforce and into the role of Baby Boom generator. Vlad does come from a society that has much more safety net than we do here in the States. but chump has a long history of screwing the working man, and hiring "non citizens" for Mar a Lago. And too many voters confuse "populism" with "nationalism/nativism". One pretends to be the other. the last election we had, did chump promote the economy?

did he promote the unemployment rate?

nope.

he said, "omg! look at all those dangerous barbarians outside our gates! some of them may even be mideast terrorists, tho i have zero proof of that and what terrorists we find, we get from other entries to america"

oh yeah, no identity politics going on there! just a classic case of Republicant diversion. don't worry about the tax break for the rich failing to trickle down to you, just be afraid of those people who are coming up to legally apply for immigration, like they do every year when the summer heat won't kill them. chump said he'd take responsiblity for a government shutdown, and what happened? as soon as he could, he passed the blame to the dems. how childish.

taking on the war machine isn't bad, tho of course, look at how he's raised defense spending (ie, every time he discusses what the Saudis are buying). i would suggest, however, pulling out of syria without even first discussing it with the Pentagon, ain't how you give the working class soldier a sense of morale. WHAT he's doing may take a back seat to HOW he's doing it.

funny thing, tho...the republicants said Obama didn't do much in Syria, now they think chump pulling out everything is great. ain't it the same outcome? and announcing the pullout...when obama does it, its warning the enemy and its dumb (as chump announced on the campaign trail). when chump does it, its nobel prize time.

just saying, is all.
 platitude545
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2019 11:12:44 AM
agreed...taking on the War party is one thing. . . but increasing our already very bloated defense budged by 50 billion plus is an entirely different thing. Trump is a fuking MORON. He should cut back on the needless defense expenditures.. preferably by several hundred billion per year instead of increasing that budget.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > DEMOCRATS TAKE THE HOUSE. THE END OF TRUMP?