Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > If looks do matter.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 purplerider1200
Msg: 151
view profile
History
If looks do matter.Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

I concur. I'd say 80% of men on here are looking for NSA & some may lie about their intent.

Uh,oh. I'm slipping. I'm used to being in 5% bracket. (or less) Time to double down on my effort.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 152
view profile
History
If looks do matter.
Posted: 12/15/2018 2:41:14 PM

But I'm sure that wouldn't suit the mandate

(Snicker)
 HUMHUMA
Msg: 153
view profile
History
If looks do matter.
Posted: 12/16/2018 5:06:32 AM
Keep on keeping on!....it will happen just when you least expect it....because jumping into something gets you nothing but heart ache and there's plenty of that on these sights....talk is just that...it's when you face to face that's important because unfortunately it's looks that people see....even though you talk good games...been there and done that....met women who outright lied on their profile and for the life of me don't know why....lol...and after I've seen this have a profile explaining physical only with possibility of long term....course that's a wash also because of the women who talk and dog that idea and have been on here for the longest....lol....always wondered why they never get old with the same pictures....anyway...keep your sincere thoughts cause she's around the corner!....good luck!
 siisaa
Msg: 154
view profile
History
If looks do matter.
Posted: 12/17/2018 4:24:30 PM

I'm someone who does better in a relationship. It brings out a better side of me. I am independent and have been since my divorce 4 years ago. I'm successful, pay my bills, buy whatever I want, and don't need to answer to anyone. None of that changes the fact that I do better in a relationship.

Interesting, and I think many can relate. Being in a relationship brings out the more caring & nurturing side of me. I am OK with being single but I, too, do better in a relationship. I'm not as likely to behave recklessly or engage in self-destructive behavior if I know I have someone at home waiting for me. I've heard similar things from men too. When they were single, they were a bit more careless and wild but for the right woman, they reigned a lot of those behaviors in and calmed the hell down. Meeting the right person can help do that to you.

Also, being chronically single for years can erode a person's ability to compromise and be more considerate. I don't think it's intentional but when you have no one to focus on except yourself for years on end, it's a lot easier to become self-absorbed, stuck in your ways and selfish.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 155
view profile
History
If looks do matter.
Posted: 12/17/2018 11:08:45 PM
Or not.
That’s the negative (again). One positive is you’re less likely to end up in a shitty relationship for the sake of one. Swings and roundabouts.
I spend my day finding compromise. Kids on kids, teachers on kids, teachers on teachers. It’s what I do.
But yes it is nice at times not to have to consider others. That’s normal right.

Of course looks matter but fortunately it’s a very individual and subjective thing.

My friend for the first time has begun dating a guy who she would never normally be attracted to (she has a type) she’s finding something about him to be intrigued/interested in and she’s enjoying getting to know him.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 156
view profile
History
If looks do matter.
Posted: 12/18/2018 12:46:54 AM
I’ll go out on a limb and be bold.
Most people who choose to remain single for a length of time are not hermits. They have friends, families, work......they spend plenty of time compromising and juggling all these relationships as well as any coupled persons.
 Noftheborder
Msg: 157
view profile
History
If looks do matter.
Posted: 12/18/2018 9:37:23 AM

One positive is you’re less likely to end up in a shitty relationship for the sake of one.

I'd take it another step further. People have been made to feel there's some sort of shame to not want to be in a relationship, just as those who are made to feel some sort of shame or are "selfish" for not wanting kids. Take it yet another step further when it comes to looks mattering - too often people take other people's opinions into account of preference of looks over substance of a potential partner - another case of shaming. Wouldn't it be nice if so many people stopped basing their life decisions on what other's opinions are?
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 158
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/18/2018 11:01:42 AM
"Being in a relationship brings out the more caring & nurturing side of me. I am OK with being single but I, too, do better in a relationship. I'm not as likely to behave recklessly or engage in self-destructive behavior if I know I have someone at home waiting for me. I've heard similar things from men too. When they were single, they were a bit more careless and wild but for the right woman, they reigned a lot of those behaviors in and calmed the hell down. Meeting the right person can help do that to you. "

>>>i find this true with us "bachelors" and bachelorettes without children or family living close to ground us. we get more self focused. which is highly ironic...we risk becoming less a mature partner when we're single, making us less of a good choice, but if we hook up with even the wrong person and overextend ourselves, we may learn to be less self centered, and thus a more appetizing choice for when the right partner comes by.

we can't win :)

meanwhile, i think a lady posted about not being able to spot which men in public are single. the big hint is...look at our pants. we bachelors suck at wanting to iron our laundry. if a man has few wrinkles, there's a woman at home (tho it could be his mom) who worries how he looks when he leaves the house.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 159
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/18/2018 3:58:51 PM

meanwhile, i think a lady posted about not being able to spot which men in public are single. the big hint is...look at our pants. we bachelors suck at wanting to iron our laundry. if a man has few wrinkles, there's a woman at home (tho it could be his mom) who worries how he looks when he leaves the house.

Which is why they invented "Permanent press".
 Carnival_Fishing
Msg: 160
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/18/2018 4:08:42 PM
So that's where I'm going wrong. When I do laundry, if something comes out of the dryer and it's wrinkled, I iron it.
I should be wearing wrinkled clothes to let women know I'm single. Maybe I should wear mismatched socks or mismatched shoes also, to drive home the point.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 161
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/18/2018 4:44:05 PM
do people still iron clothes? I haven't even seen one in 40 years!
 daynadaze
Msg: 162
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/18/2018 7:01:00 PM
I used to love to iron, even back in days of yore when we had to fill up a cleaned pop bottle that was fitted with a head to wet the clothes and bag them them iron them. We still have an iron and a board plus a steamer, also a dryer that steams, mostly the only things that needs ironed is the rare occasion that requires a suit or fancy dress. Even my son-in-law doesn't iron his uniform, just take out of the dryer and folding them. I can no longer stand up to iron. And now back to the subject ... lol
 daynadaze
Msg: 163
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/18/2018 7:01:34 PM
double post
 julystorm22
Msg: 164
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/19/2018 2:16:28 PM
I will confess that I've never ironed anything in my life. And actually, I'vd found single men often dress better than committed men. I guess cause they are trying to look good in case a single lady comes along.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 165
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/19/2018 2:33:16 PM
msg#162:
I used to love to iron,

Love to iron! The heat of the iron and the hiss of the steam.The smell of the starch. The sharpness of the collar and cuffs. Pleats. Cotton garment's dream~
 purplerider1200
Msg: 166
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/19/2018 3:15:10 PM
Last time I ironed something, it was the end cap on a new kitchen counter.

By the way- Can anybody suggest what brand of iron gets really hot? The ones I've tried don't. That last good one I had came from a garage sale, and it was older that the hills.
 2ufo
Msg: 167
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/19/2018 4:31:42 PM
Iron?

Isn't that a metal in the transition series? Code name FE ?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it.
 curvylady1965
Msg: 168
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/19/2018 6:22:40 PM
Lol 2ufo.

I discovered that form fitting tops require no ironing so most of the tops I own are form fitting for that reason. Still have to iron pants and some of my dresses though. I used to enjoy ironing. Now it seems to be a chore.

Purple, the last two irons I've had have not heated up like previous ones did. Seems odd to me that they don't. Safety thing maybe? I would also be interested in learning about the ones that still heat up well.
 daynadaze
Msg: 169
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/19/2018 6:46:10 PM
Safety sounds right, hot irons were for cotton, and pure cotton wrinkles like crazy. We had to iron everything, from sheets to jockey shorts tablecloths to pleated skirt. And that was after washing the clothes, hanging them out to dry and then sprinkling them with water and bagging them up to iron after they got all damp. You had to get them ironed soon or they were covered in mildew. I remember when we got pants stretchers, they were metal rods that adjusted to pants legs size then you add more size until the pants legs dried unwrinkled with a firm pleat in the front and back. It was amazing technology!
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 170
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/20/2018 1:33:00 PM
msg#169:
I remember when we got pants stretchers, they were metal rods that adjusted to pants legs size then you add more size until the pants legs dried unwrinkled with a firm pleat in the front and back. It was amazing technology!

Thanks for the memory Daynadaze. Had not thought of those 'things' for along time. My Mom used them for my Dad's pants. Never really knew what they were called and they always sort of mystified me. She'd hang the pants with the stretchers inserted from a closet type pole in our back porch. Kind of unnerving for a little kid, playing on the porch with these seemingly giant stretched pants hanging high above our heads.

Good Times~

;-)
 purplerider1200
Msg: 171
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/20/2018 2:39:52 PM
My aunt used to put my uncles pant on a pants stretcher out on a clothesline. The outer sides would fad in the sun. Great way to have two-tone pants.

No, those newer irons don't heat up very well. That's why I asked. Guess I go hunt up another old iron.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 172
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/20/2018 3:30:22 PM
^^^The newer irons are very light weight. I think it's one of their selling points.
The older ones had heft to them, which helped to press out the wrinkles.
My mom and her sisters growing up, heated flat irons on the kitchen stove.
Made of Iron, I believe! Imagine that~
These might be better suited for your purposes.

;-)
 cooldog65
Msg: 173
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/20/2018 7:25:12 PM
My first love from over 30 years ago taught me the basics of ironing which I still use to this day when needed.

On the other hand, my former wife's idea of ironing was dampening the item and running it through the dryer on high heat...
 siisaa
Msg: 174
view profile
History
#looksmatter.
Posted: 12/20/2018 7:39:50 PM
I hate ironing but I have fond memories of the practice since my father ironed his clothes every single morning while I was growing up and I'd watch him.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 175
view profile
History
If looks do matter.
Posted: 12/28/2018 2:46:56 AM

JulyStorm's ex has a 9 year live-in relationship in his history.

Would you want HIM?

I know nothing about him. We all have deal-breakers, things that we don't respond well to in profiles. Very short LTR history is one of mine.

I'm in my mid-fifties. If a guy's (my age or older) longest relationship has only been a couple of years long, that's a red flag for me.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > If looks do matter.