Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you feel you have run out of fish in your area?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ssm508
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Do you feel you have run out of fish in your area?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

There are plenty of women in his age group whose kids are already grown and have left the nest.

That is true for some women in his age group. But that still eliminates a large percentage of women. Even if her kids are grown, there are many people in their 20s that still live with their parents. If the OP was around 60 and/or was looking to date relatively older women, then this requirement would probably eliminate fewer women.
 hemingway234
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Do you feel you have run out of fish in your area?
Posted: 12/13/2018 7:28:06 AM
There are advantages to many things, if you'll just open your eyes and see. Kids are extra little people to love you.
 HUMHUMA
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2018 5:10:39 AM
There are more in more populated areas....and then there's the daters that stay on here thinking there's something better coming along....they look at face value rather than the insides....older act like the younger crowd rather then acting their age....trend of the times and NOT a good one!....I call those who stay on CERIAL daters.....to bad....good luck!
 siisaa
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2018 10:25:46 AM

I pretty much only filter out women with kids(at home), obese and lives more than 15-20 miles(don't do long distance).

Being too picky & not as open as he claims to be comes to mind. Everyone is entitled to their preferences but don't complain when those preferences don't garner you favorable results. Most women around his age are going to be have children still living in the home. Just because her children may be 18+ does not mean they've left the nest, especially in present society.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2018 12:36:14 PM
OP wrote:
I'm not trying to be funny here but are you saying there are that few women 32 - 64 who are single, kept themselves in decent(not perfect) shape who's kids have grown up and moved out or never had kids, within a 20 minute to half an hour drive?
I'd say that, for the most part, is true. There is also a problem for those ~late 40s' - ~50s (of both sexes) that have taken care of themselves and look good. And that problem is they expect someone who, likewise, has taken care of themselves and look good But we all know that once you hit late 40's those folks become rare. Most people are content to just let themselves go. That is if you're looking at the same age range. So that's another thing you have going against you because it looks like you're in good shape and maintained your looks. I think if you were average looking, ugly, or fat, you'd probably find it easier because your expectations would be more modest.

Also if I were you I wouldn't be so dead set on the "Looking for LTR only" mindset. Sometimes I think that may add some pressure or undue expectations on the woman - and you. And why don't you go for the "nothing serious" crowd, too which would open up things for you, because ya never know, you may grow on 'em, or each other.. Have some fun. After all dating should be fun, whether it ends up in a LTR or not. "LTR or bust," in my view, kinda puts too much of a businesslike vibe to dating, something like it's on a "Goals" list.

Just my 2c
 pfif
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2019 11:38:01 PM
There's a large number of obvious filters** applied, long before
subtleties are selected for. They also have to be online and
participating in a behavioral pattern that doesn't make much
sense to anyone who tries it (and so not much effort invested
to try to make sense of it).

Compulsive tapping on a handheld screen does not equal
looking for human relationships (the two activities are
orthogonal to one another and often mutually exclusive).

. . .

Handhelds have really (and semi-permanently) broken
the online cultural exchange modalities.

All that context-switching has its price, in further
fragmentation of the user's experience.

(deleted excess verbiage here ;)

. . .

It's best to treat OLD as almost entirely orthogonal to its
stated goals (bringing people together into 'matches' (we
don't even say 'couples' anymore).

Language and vocabulary go a long way towards determining
probable outcomes, in affairs that have their basis in .. culture!

. . .

Constant pitting of photos of attractive people not even in your
dating pool (quite on purpose) further fragmenting the user
experience (not towards any healthy psychological goal or
state of mind) during interaction with the host system.

So if there were 'matches' they went away, out of simple fatigue.

________
** age, gender, height, religion, sexual and emotional availability,
geographic proximity, communications skillsets; financial
attainment, ethnicity, education, political affiliation, safe/sane
set of friends/family, niche subcultures/counter-culture
affiliation (12 step/motorcycle club/tatoos, piercings/compulsive travel/
wanderlust/fad diets/multilevel-marketing/gymnasium overuse/
social climbing/pursuit of status symbols or power) as well as
drug/crime-free status, STDs and presumption of shared definitions
for normalcy .. to name several.
 Tech30
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2019 9:08:34 AM
I love going through and searching people in my area, just to see how many familiar faces are still on pof from years ago. Its insane how many of the same women with the same profiles and pictures are still online.

Some of them I went out with years ago and they are still around with the same profiles.
 daynadaze
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2019 12:22:54 PM
What's funny about men or women being here a long time?
 Tech30
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2019 12:47:46 PM
First of all, having the same pictures for 5+ years ... maybe their dates see someone different than what they saw in the 5+ year younger pictures for one.....

There is a lot funny about it. To me anyway. I dont care if YOU find it funny or not.
 siisaa
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2019 2:00:27 PM
^ it's more funny (but not really) if they're still actively trying to date with a profile & pictures that are years old. One of the things about OLD is the newer profiles get more views, date opportunities and if they're a good catch with the right attitude, they won't be on here long.
 moraima
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2019 3:36:22 PM
"I love going through and searching people in my area, just to see how many familiar faces are still on pof from years ago. Its insane how many of the same women with the same profiles and pictures are still online. "

Wow! Just married and spending your time "going through and searching people in my area, just to see how many familiar faces".
Seriously! Newly married,and you have nothing better to do?

"Its insane how many of the same women with the same profiles and pictures are still online. \"

Still here since mid 2005 - same profile with updates.
Deal with it!
Like my single lifestyle, and not planning to change it.
In fact, first thing I tell a man asking me to date him is, "I don't do marriage or cohabition".
I so enjoy my 2005 profile ID, because it annoys many folks.
Just like I enjoy my tattoos, because they annoy many folks.

I have to giggle.
 Tech30
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 7:29:17 AM
^ it's more funny (but not really) if they're still actively trying to date with a profile & pictures that are years old. One of the things about OLD is the newer profiles get more views, date opportunities and if they're a good catch with the right attitude, they won't be on here long.

Yeah thats kind of my thinking here, and you're right when you say "its funny(but not really)"
It makes me wonder why some people have no luck and get stuck in the dating loop for so long. Is there really no good fish left in the sea? or are these people the problem and they dont want to see that?
 Tech30
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 7:34:59 AM
Wow! Just married and spending your time "going through and searching people in my area, just to see how many familiar faces".
Seriously! Newly married,and you have nothing better to do?"

I have lots to do. This is just ONE of them.

"Still here since mid 2005 - same profile with updates.
Deal with it!
Like my single lifestyle, and not planning to change it.
In fact, first thing I tell a man asking me to date him is, "I don't do marriage or cohabition".
I so enjoy my 2005 profile ID, because it annoys many folks.
Just like I enjoy my tattoos, because they annoy many folks."

I dont need to deal with it. No one cares. Not one person. We want you to stay single. Men appreciate you staying single. Its best for everyone. Please do not marry or co habituate. And thank you for making the right decision.
 moraima
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 7:45:46 AM
" And thank you for making the right decision."

You are welcome.
 dinno76
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 8:04:38 AM
Trying to find a lady who has her sanity. That makes the dating pool even smaller. Their are some scary crazy women on these dating sites. I guess years of dating bad men messed them up in the head. Sad.
 moraima
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 8:24:06 AM
"I guess years of dating bad men messed them up in the head. Sad."

Nah! Many of us had a good marriage, so now we know what to stay away from.

We don't constantly have to run around proving we are loveable. We already experienced it.

Easy to say no to what we know won't work out.

2 posts blah blah
 dinno76
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 8:59:38 AM
No that's not it. Women are just crazy in the head.The older they get the more crazier they get. They do not have to prove they are lovable they have to prove they are not crazy.
 moraima
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 11:43:06 AM
"Women are just crazy in the head.The older they get the more crazier they get."

What an attitude!

Women aren't crazy, they just don't want to be with you.

in order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 pfif
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 3:20:07 PM
People misbehave online - there's no consequences for doing so.
 daynadaze
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2019 11:16:24 PM
I agree, if I was here to date I would be adding new pictures, since I am only here to read the forums, I rarely add new picture. Of course men can be just odd about pictures, some people do things differently than I do. LOL
 abc123drm
Msg: 71
Posted: 1/5/2019 4:33:23 AM
Been on and off this site for a time...then just took a full year off of online dating altogether and I concur with the OP. I keep seeing the same faces on here of the woman I'd already emailed (but didn't respond).

There's one I recall that emphasized that she only dates in the area, closeby...and complains why she can't find a decent guy, just weirdos and pervs. lol. I sent her an email, leading with how I could relate to her situation and introduced myself...but no response.

Often times, their profiles get *Updates* added to them, complaining about the behavior of the men that contact them, some of which includes about communication styles that only say, "Hey" or "Hi" or "Hi cutie!", but ignore that gentlemen that take the time to craft an email that doesn't have "hey" or "hi".

Come to find that their laundry list of expectations in a partner are unrealistic and unwavering.

I'm sure men voice the same thing, but being on the side of "men seeking women", I can only see that view point.

I wonder if some of them get out of the house much to meet other singles? But I'm kind of like the OP, live in a area not as populated by unattached people. Mostly married or co-habitating people in these parts. The ones that are unattached remain on these dating sites...indefinitely. Sometimes I'll see a new face pop-up as they are new in the area , and I find THOSE ladies may be receptive. It seems that the longer someone's been on here, the longer they wind up remaining.

I often wonder if you're limiting your geography, would it be best for such a person to relocate if the dating options in the area aren't to your liking?
 hemingway234
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2019 8:23:21 AM
Just because you see a profile with a picture does not mean there is a real person connected to it. Some of the profiles are abandoned (some people use disposable email addresses and forget about them). There is no expiration date on profiles.
 spot4username
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2019 8:43:10 AM
^^^
I know a man who passed away over 5 years ago. I actually took his profile photo for him. His profile is still here. I have reported it and messaged CSR repeatedly. /shrug/
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2019 9:12:03 AM
I was gone over 7 years and cancelled mine, it was still here when I returned! if/when I search without using last online, many profiles show no activity for 30 days or more.
 MusiKyle
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2019 9:15:16 AM
I always look at who's online for people to message. Otherwise
1. Women get too many messages and yours gets buried, and
2. Many of those people will never get online again
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Do you feel you have run out of fish in your area?