Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly s      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ssm508
Msg: 26
view profile
History
What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Drinking pictures can simply mean that their pictures were pictures were taken at social events that involving drinking. Whether it's bar, family function, attending a game etc. I don't think you can tell how often someone drinks or goes to a bar based on some pictures. Maybe they go to bars once or twice a month. Or maybe sometimes they have 1-2 drinks after work, going to a movie cinema, or some other previous activity.

Some things that made me skip over profiles were men who described themselves as a "homebody", men who listed "watching televised sports" as an interest, and men who indicated that they didn't travel, or enjoy traveling. I found men with those traits to be boring.

I like watching sports and I don't consider myself to be boring. LOL. It's just one of several interests that I have. Sure I can understand it being a dealbreaker when a person spends most of their free time watching sports. But that can apply to any interest. I have seen very few profiles that "I don't like traveling". I have seen more profiles that "I don't travel as much as I would like" due to [insert whatever reason].
 curvylady1965
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?
Posted: 12/9/2018 7:35:22 AM
^^^ SSM, what I take from your post is that it is a little too easy for any of us to make false assumptions on the very little information we see. It's important for us to keep in mind because if we are truly serious about finding someone, it is too easy to miss potential gems when we are preoccupied with seeking out reasons to discard. That is not to say it is easy to do, and I certainly have characteristics that represent flags for me that I tend to take as reason(s) to ignore.
 ssm508
Msg: 28
view profile
History
What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?
Posted: 12/13/2018 7:35:20 AM
^^^^^
Yes. It's okay to have some requirements or dealbreakers. But for the most part, that should be based on things that are objective or clearly written in the profile. Such as a person stating that (s)he is a smoker in the profile and you want to date a non-smoker.
 whiterose0
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2018 8:11:35 AM

Yes. It's okay to have some requirements or dealbreakers. But for the most part, that should be based on things that are objective or clearly written in the profile. Such as a person stating that (s)he is a smoker in the profile and you want to date a non-smoker.

I disagree. There are certain deal-breakers for me which are not normally mentioned in profiles. Having opposite political beliefs from mine is a big one. I would ask questions concerning my deal-breakers early on to screen out unsuitable prospects.
 ohenryx
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2018 4:15:54 PM

I disagree. There are certain deal-breakers for me which are not normally mentioned in profiles. Having opposite political beliefs from mine is a big one. I would ask questions concerning my deal-breakers early on to screen out unsuitable prospects.

This is unfortunately true. It didn't use to be such a big deal, people could have political differences, policy differences, without being dire enemies. My ex-wife and I often voted differently. And yes, we talked about it, openly, and there was no real animosity, just a difference of opinion. That just doesn't seem to be possible anymore.
 mahwahgirl339114
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/13/2018 4:39:31 PM
I miss those times ohenryx. I think about it a lot. I was at the company Christmas party on Friday and again I had to hear "well im sure there are no trump defenders here" and of course I raised my hand as high as I could. These were heads of a global firm, and they don't know what's appropriate at dinner table.

When I go back to OLD, I will ignore any profile that mentions politics. I will heartlessly drop anyone who mentions it in conversation. If I discover a guy is an "offended" snowflake, im sorry he will lose the ability to turn me on as a man.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2018 5:45:05 PM

This is unfortunately true. It didn't use to be such a big deal, people could have political differences, policy differences, without being dire enemies.
if they have to mention it in their profile, I am not interested. not because I disagree with their views but because if they felt it an important issue in dating, their extreme bias (prejudice) would eventually be directed at me. I have an ex friend that disowned any that voted trump, totally hates them all. while I never voted, I added myself to the list anyways.
 curvylady1965
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2018 6:16:09 PM
Henry, my ex and I always made an effort to vote the same so that we didn't cancel one another's vote. There were some elections that required a lot more discussion than others.
Politics is important to me. I grew up in a family in which it was important. My father ran for office. Many of the people we had over to house parties were politicians. Interestingly, I grew up to be an adult who usually voted different than what I was raised to do.
While politics is important to me, I would be content with someone who voted different from me but who could engage in respectful discussions about our perspectives. In other words, I am fine with two signs on the lawn at election time :-).
 ssm508
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2018 7:52:10 PM

Of course you can find out additional things during conversations and/or dates that are objective dealbreakers. But my previous comments and this thread are about people making initial decisions based on small pieces of subjective or inconclusive info on the profile and/or pictures. As I alluded to earlier, there is a difference between a person directly stating that they often go to bars on a profile vs assuming a person often goes to bars and drinks a lot because they had some pictures with an alcoholic beverages. That was my point.

As for politics, I can date someone with different political views. Unless their views were extreme or they tried to shove their views down my throat.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2018 10:49:17 PM
When I was dating I'd pass on unnecessarily rude and/or hurtful comments - no matter the context.

Shirtless pictures. Same with men showing off their possessions.

Rotten teeth.

All their pictures being them wearing sunglasses and hats.

Profiles with pictures, but none of the person.
 ssm508
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2018 11:34:50 AM

All their pictures being them wearing sunglasses and hats.

There have been multiple threads about this topic. While it's possible a man wearing hats is hiding a bald spot, that's not always true though. Some men may simply like wearing hats. A woman can simply ask for a picture without a hat if/when she likes the rest of the profile. As for sunglasses, it's probably very rare for an attractive person wearing sunglasses to look much less attractive after removing the sunglasses. Perhaps his/her pictures were simply taken on days with bright sunshine
 2fuzy
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2018 9:07:27 PM
Cliche pictures that say things like if you can't handle me at my worst you don't deserve me at my best etc.
Pictures at bars or any mention of how they like their booze I don't drink and have no desire to compete with a sailor named Jerry or being the cheap uber
Any mention of god or church
Any mention of the desired height as although I fall into the percentage of those over 6ft I see it as shallow as me stating a cup size ( bet that would go over well)
 whiterose0
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2018 7:47:20 AM

Any mention of the desired height as although I fall into the percentage of those over 6ft I see it as shallow as me stating a cup size ( bet that would go over well)

Women will also see it as shallow for you to set your age filter to "Younger than 20" when you're supposedly 51. Not that it will get you anywhere, since you can't contact women outside the site imposed +/- 14-year age restrictions.
 spot4username
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2018 1:05:57 PM
^^^
Perhaps he was confused about how the math works. He filled in 51 (his stated age) + 20 (how old he wishes he is) = 71 (actual age).

He looks like he has at least a B cup himself. Oooo la la !!
 2fuzy
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2018 6:43:05 PM

Women will also see it as shallow for you to set your age filter to "Younger than 20" when you're supposedly 51. Not that it will get you anywhere, since you can't contact women outside the site imposed +/- 14-year age restrictions[/quote ]

it's not nor does it matter as my profile is hidden anyway and has been for quite some time now as while this site is where I found my second wife I have found it is now a disappointment but I occasionally find the forums amusing in its display of the self-righteous
 curvylady1965
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2018 6:57:14 PM
A second wife since June, 2018 when asking for a review is pretty impressive. Congratulations.
 MsMicki
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2018 7:04:57 AM
MsMicki
You take the time to get to know someone - you might find love.

morta1ez
But did you not say in another thread "The smart thing to do.....resist the urge to spend every frikken waking second with a new partner...."? so which is it?

One can very easily take their time getting to know someone without spending every frikken waking second with them....
it's not rocket science.....it is common sense.
 Clear_River
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2018 3:44:06 PM
Marital status-Separated
Yes I agree with this. The last few guys that admitted they were separated were still living at home with the wife lol.

Guys exposing their bare chest.
I just move on, I don't even bother look any further.

Posing in the high end cars
It looks so thirsty, not to mention the car could easily not be theirs anyway.

Guys who pose with someone else
Just why? Folks will probably be disappointed when you reveal who you are lol

Guys with just sunglasses pictures. I don't mind sunglasses pics, but not all of them.
I like to see a man's eyes.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2018 2:01:17 AM
I, too, bypass the separated guys. For many reasons- and the bare-chest guys, guys whose pics show them with strippers and Hooters girls, lol.

Also guys who are very religious, because I'm not. Guys who don't have a car. I am not going to drive someone around.

Someone who is super into sports. I don't like sports. Blaring football games on TV was the soundtrack of my childhood, and I can't stand that sound. I am always perplexed when I see a man shouting at the TV when sports are on. Some men jump around, and act crazy over sports on TV, showing more emotion than at any other thing that has ever happened in their lives.

Also, pass by men whose longest relationship has been very short. I think if you haven't had a relationship lasting at least a decade by the time you're in your mid-fifties or above, something is wrong.
 whiterose0
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2018 10:25:41 AM

Someone who is super into sports. I don't like sports. Blaring football games on TV was the soundtrack of my childhood, and I can't stand that sound. I am always perplexed when I see a man shouting at the TV when sports are on. Some men jump around, and act crazy over sports on TV, showing more emotion than at any other thing that has ever happened in their lives.

Bingo. This was what I meant in message 22 about not being interested in men who watched televised sports. I personally find men heavily into watching sports to be boring.

Maybe they don't think they're boring, and there are plenty of women out there who are sports fans who don't think they're boring. Let the sports fans find each other. I just happen not to be one of them.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 46
view profile
History
What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sad
Posted: 12/28/2018 11:16:24 AM
"one can easily take their time getting to know someone, without spending the time"

>>.the more curious we are about our surroundings, the faster we notice what's going on. as a side issue, i once debated with someone the way to learn the sexual technique of a new partner before having to jump into bed with them on the third date was to make out with them. were they too fast? passionate? energetic? did they let anticipation build?

but of course, for someone who doesn't really know what makes for good lovemaking...this isn't going to work. they'll just have to go all in (pun intended) and then find out too late they aren't a good match.
 ssm508
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2018 12:25:40 PM

Also, pass by men whose longest relationship has been very short. I think if you haven't had a relationship lasting at least a decade by the time you're in your mid-fifties or above, something is wrong.

I know a 55 year woman whose longest relationship was 7 years. After she got divorced, she didn't date much because she was primarily focusing on raising her young children. She began to date more when her children got older. She is now engaged to a man that she has been dating for 3 years.

This another example why people shouldn't assume "something is wrong" with a person based on a small piece of info. Even if someone had been in a relationship for 10+ years, it doesn't necessarily make that person better relationship material. (S)he could have content at best to outright miserable. But stayed in the relationship because of the kids, didn't want to be alone etc

As for your sports comment, I agree some people can become obsessed with sports. But as mentioned before, that can apply to any interest. I have seen some people become really excited and invested about the outcome of TV shows having fake characters and plots.
 ginghamgal
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2018 2:54:22 PM

Bingo. This was what I meant in message 22 about not being interested in men who watched televised sports. I personally find men heavily into watching sports to be boring.

Maybe they don't think they're boring, and there are plenty of women out there who are sports fans who don't think they're boring. Let the sports fans find each other. I just happen not to be one of them.

To each their own. People that have very few interests can be boring. But I'm fine with men that like sports and can carry a conversation and/or take part in other things.
 2fuzy
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2018 5:22:39 AM

A second wife since June, 2018 when asking for a review is pretty impressive. Congratulation

june 2018 is when I came back to the site after number 2 as when I married I left the site and as I stated before I now find the fishing not worth the time here
 hemingway234
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2018 6:11:02 AM

- I watch football sometimes - it just depends on what I'm doing. Today I'm going fishing so I will miss most of the games.

I had a date a few weeks ago on football Sunday.......the woman asked, "So you mean you missed football to be with me"?! I think I got some extra brownie points there.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?