Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly s      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 am70sguy
Msg: 76
view profile
History
What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I don't mind the tats, but tend to feel less is better. Only real reason I don't have any is because I know I'd be tired of it after a while and not like you can swap it out for another.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 77
view profile
History
What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?
Posted: 2/4/2019 7:13:26 AM
Hmmm....."sadly skip past them?" Key word being "sadly".

Good looking man who appears to be fit with appealing expression/eyes but:
Is more than 5 years younger than I cause I don't want to be the older woman he gets tired of,
Is non-religious,
Is very short,
Very short relationships,
Pre-teen children who visit or live with him,
Does drugs,
Separated,
I consider myself as below 'their league',
No real 'About Me' section,
Heavily into personal physical sports cause I'm not although I'd like to get back to the gym on a regular basis,
"Prefers not to say".

Am I too particular?
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 78
view profile
History
What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?
Posted: 2/4/2019 7:16:11 AM
I should have added:
Lives a 40 minute drive or more away, cause I'm not moving.
 happywind
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/7/2019 7:26:39 AM
1. Bad spelling (I actually tried to not be harsh on this, but any time that I've chatted with a man with bad spelling, his reading comprehension was bad too. If I can only speak with him through text at first, bad reading comprehension is not going to work out.)

2. Complaints about how shallow women are in his profile text (You don't need to patronize me by pointing out that you're not the best looking guy. I can determine whether you are fugg or cute myself, thank you.)

3. Arrogance (You're not going to pull it off without the looks and charisma of Dr. House, sorry.)

4. Over 45 (Older men are great, but I'm not even 30, stop being greedy.)

5. No mention of hobbies (Men who don't have their own lives have nothing to do but cling to the GF. I'm fine with you playing Xbox after work.)

6. "If you want to know just ask." (If you've introduced yourself a little before typing this it's okay, but not as the only line on the profile.)

6. Complaints about the lack of responses that he gets from women (If women are so bad, find yourself another guy who doesn't get responses either and you can date each other.)

7. I haven't seen it yet, but mention of criminal activity would also make me pass on a profile.

Those are really the only ones, I'm open-minded and don't expect perfection, lol. I also have reasons for them, so I'm not just being irrational and chalking it up to "preference".
 hemingway234
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/7/2019 7:43:06 AM

1. Bad spelling (I actually tried to not be harsh on this, but any time that I've chatted with a man with bad spelling, his reading comprehension was bad too. If I can only speak with him through text at first, bad reading comprehension is not going to work out.)

- did you know? men are not as good at spelling as women are.

That said, it's better to be picky than in a poor relationship - so there is no such thing as too picky.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2019 10:56:51 AM
Miss Shirley wrote:
Hmmm....."sadly skip past them?" Key word being "sadly".

Good looking man who appears to be fit with appealing expression/eyes but:
Is more than 5 years younger than I cause I don't want to be the older woman he gets tired of,
Is non-religious,
Is very short,
Very short relationships,
Pre-teen children who visit or live with him,
Does drugs,
Separated,
I consider myself as below 'their league',
No real 'About Me' section,
Heavily into personal physical sports cause I'm not although I'd like to get back to the gym on a regular basis,
"Prefers not to say".

Am I too particular?

not at all!
I have pretty much the same reservations.
I look for a smile - good grief, that first photo is the first thing a guy sees and if you're snarlin'...?
The "about me" section: that's your narrative - if all you want me to know about you can fit in one, two lines. How vacant is your life; or, your ability to communicate would bore me.
Here in Montana I've seen more than a few profiles where the woman is doing naught but fishing/hunting - it might be nice to know they have a more traditional feminine side (I'm not lookin' to date a guy).

A narrative that is negative in tone, or a list of what she doesn't want, or a list of all the bad types of blokes she's met; sheesh.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2019 11:00:24 AM
Oh, and forgot a big one:

If she reminds me of mother.
 ssm508
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2019 8:41:26 AM

That said, it's better to be picky than in a poor relationship - so there is no such thing as too picky.

This thread is about dealbreakers on profiles though. Being more flexible in the beginning doesn't necessarily you will end in a bad relationship. If there isn't enough mutual attraction/interest after 1-3 dates, then both people can move on.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2019 12:32:01 PM

so there is no such thing as too picky.

Yes, there is.
When you're too picky about the wrong things.
And not picky enough about the right things.
Which leads to so many of the disastrous date and relationship stories on here.

it's better to be picky than in a poor relationship

Of course, but are the only choices a "poor relationship" or the greatest relationship there ever was on planet Earth?
Nothing in between?
 HawkingJr
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 1:33:06 PM
I actually just mentioned this in my last post in an unrelated thread, but:

Just like I will SADLY skip by any otherwise awesome profile that includes preferences that eliminate me from consideration, I will also SADLY skip by profiles that include any physical preferences that I meet. Because there's no normal, sane woman on earth looking for a man who looks like me. I am the complete antithesis of the prototypical physically attractive man.

Muscles excluded. But I have to tell you, I'm having trouble remembering any woman ever saying in her profile "I like/prefer muscular men" -- rather I've seen quite a few profiles in which the woman said she was not interested in dating obese/overweight men. Those I've sent messages to, so long as they were polite about it -- that's completely different from race and height and eye color and whatnot because being muscular and being obese/overweight are largely (not completely and always but largely) controllable and part of one's personality, not some completely uncontrollable physical trait. In fact, quite a few women in these forums have said that muscles on a man are indicative of what they consider a NEGATIVE personality trait, and it's not really about the appearance they have issue with.

Anyway, on the rare occasion I do come across a profile in which a woman indicates a preference for some physical trait I have, I immediately start wondering about her psychological makeup, because that's just not normal to have a preference for any of my uncontrollable physical characteristics. (You may ask, who do I expect to date me if not someone who is attracted to my physical characteristics? That is the million dollar question, isn't it? As far as I can tell, the women who did date me, long long ago, did so DESPITE my physical characteristics. For example, my ex-girlfriend knew me for a year before deciding she was attracted to me -- she definitely didn't look at me at first sight and say "This is the hot hunk I've been looking for all my life." And I'm not just reading her mind -- she actually said something like to me when I finally asked her, more than a year into our relationship, why she decided to date me. I got a similar impression from others I've dated.)
 GodlessGal
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 7:15:16 PM
Happy Wind posted a great list.
I would just change it to read: not dating anyone over 55.

I would also ad: stating their longest relationship was under 5-7 years (by my age, if you haven't had a long term relationship, there are commitment issues there that I am not dealing with)
No gainful employment. If you are on SSI or flipping burgers, that means I'll have to pay your rent and I can't afford another dependent.
Religious - I'm as atheist as they come.
Economic conservative - if you lack general compassion for your fellow humans, I can't respect you.
Any kind of weirdo fetishes like cross dressing or being submissive (these types tend to flock to me cause I got that goth kinda look)
Not having a photo, being "polyamorous" or other non conventional stuff - all of it just frankly reeks of someone who is trying to cheat
Talking about sexual innuendo right away. I'm not a hooker and won't be treated like one.

I have a long list LOL its part of why I'm still single. But by my age, you learn what you can't tolerate and you don't mind being alone, so it works out no matter which way it turns out.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2019 6:17:17 PM

Because there's no normal, sane woman on earth looking for a man who looks like me. I am the complete antithesis of the prototypical physically attractive man.

I don't know how you came up with that self observation but if you are the man in your photos, then it turns out that in my opinion, you are quite attractive!
 ssm508
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 8:24:41 AM

I don't know how you came up with that self observation but if you are the man in your photos, then it turns out that in my opinion, you are quite attractive!

Yet based on your dealbreakers that you mentioned here, you wouldn't date him because of his height (5' 4").
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 9:04:31 AM

Because there's no normal, sane woman on earth looking for a man who looks like me. I am the complete antithesis of the prototypical physically attractive man.

I don't get this. I checked your profile and there is absolutely nothing wrong with you appearance. I think you need to give yourself more credit.
 ssm508
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 9:23:36 AM

I would also ad: stating their longest relationship was under 5-7 years (by my age, if you haven't had a long term relationship, there are commitment issues there that I am not dealing with)

Being in a longer relationship doesn't necessarily mean it was a better quality relationship or that person is better at relationships. A person in a 7 year (or more) relationship may have content at best to outright miserable for much of that relationship. (There could have been abuse, infidelity etc.) But stayed in the relationship because of the kids, didn't want to be alone etc.

While a person with a 3 year relationship may have simply preferred to be single instead of continuing a relationship after it fizzled out. I would need to know more information about the circumstances the reasons before making any type of assessment based on length of longest relationship.
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 10:05:32 AM
Hemingway wrote:

did you know? men are not as good at spelling as women are

The last few posts I saw by Hemingway before his departure were all claims women are better than men, women don't make bad choices, and other unrealistic nonsense. One of his post implied women are always good pickers. New posts occur all the time showing they're often not good pickers, such as the one this month in which she walked on the guy in her bathroom doing cocaine! The dude sounded totally whipped. If he was just saying that stuff as a line to get chicks, it's doubtful he succeeded with the beta lines.

I probably have already posted on this thread, but one dealbreaker I may not have mentioned is the military. Any photo with a person in military garb, I choose no on the swipe sites or hit the back button here, no matter how good the rest of the profile was. I don't mind if her dad is a vet because he could have been drafted rather than choosing to join the service. But if the dad isn't a jackboot, he won't be flaunting his vet status. Have seen quite a few "military" photos / profiles in recent days. Anything supporting police is a dealbreaker too.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 10:27:55 AM

Yet based on your dealbreakers that you mentioned here, you wouldn't date him because of his height (5' 4").

I said he was quite attractive and he is and may very well meet someone's preferences. I did not say mine so why would you just try to diminish him more?
 cooldog65
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 10:49:01 AM

The last few posts I saw by Hemingway before his departure were all claims women are better than men, women don't make bad choices, and other unrealistic nonsense.

Agreed. I saw a lot of beta cuck pandering...
 oldwxman
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 11:13:06 AM

I probably have already posted on this thread, but one dealbreaker I may not have mentioned is the military. Any photo with a person in military garb, I choose no on the swipe sites or hit the back button here, no matter how good the rest of the profile was. I don't mind if her dad is a vet because he could have been drafted rather than choosing to join the service. But if the dad isn't a jackboot, he won't be flaunting his vet status. Have seen quite a few "military" photos / profiles in recent days. Anything supporting police is a dealbreaker too.

There is a lot to what he is saying. Risk is that you get a soulless, authoritarian creep. I don't think that is as big a problem with women. Women don't usually volunteer to kill people. They join to get married and live off of a cement head. That's bad enough to avoid them but they aren't full blown killers.

The cops? Well, jeeps! There really isn't much difference between a big city police department in the US and a right wing paramilitary, terrorist group in an unstable third world country.

I'm not being hypocritical here. Yes, the hat tells you that I am a proud navy vet. I loved being a sailor at sea. I despised the military and it's C.S.. There is a big difference between being able to tie 100 knots or knowing how to handle a skiff in rough water and; knowing how to slaughter brown people. In hindsight, I should have joined the merchant marine.
 frankiej2018
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 11:26:46 AM
I know exactly what you mean MsMicki. This statement is so true.
 ssm508
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 1:18:24 PM

I said he was quite attractive and he is and may very well meet someone's preferences. I did not say mine so why would you just try to diminish him more?
I have nothing against him. He may be a great person. But his height works against him. It's not a put down or "diminishing" him. If anything, it's more about the nature of OLD. I have defended short men when some women (not necessarily you) have made stereotypical comments about short men on height threads.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2019 2:32:18 PM
He feels he is unattractive and I don't think he is. I prefer a taller man but there are plenty of short girls who might be attracted if he were not so determined to put himself down. No man or woman is ever attracted to someone who thinks negatively of him/her self unless they think they are below anyone's standards. Sad.
 Inicia
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2019 5:09:42 PM

In hindsight, I should have joined the merchant marine.
tooo funny old wax!
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2019 5:16:47 PM
a pig with lipstick. a fat cow with her tits hanging out and hooker boots laying in bed, "buy me a cheeseburger and take me home".
 Inicia
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What are things you see in dating profiles that will make you sadly skip past them?