Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Jesus ~ in laymans terms      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Natey2
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans termsPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Msg: 24

... there is no doubt that many churches, especially in times gone by " have often bent the meaning of religion / Jesus to better suit their selfish wants and needs "

The Lord Himself rates churches: the apostolic churches at Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea are compared in Revelation 2.

The church at Philadelphia is the one to model.
 backcreek7
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 8:11:58 AM

I think Jesus would want people to have fun and be happy too, I suggest that should be made a commandment as well

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have only 4 things too say, concerning that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

... F*ucking A BEAUTIFUL brother !!! ...

... heart / new commandment / sun
 2ufo
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 10:02:25 AM

I find Roman historical records interesting as well. Apostle John was boiled in oil at the coliseum with a crowd there to witness the act. That very crowd indeed witnessed the power of GOD, before John was exiled to the island of Patmos. Nero was one angry dude John was unscathed. John was the only apostle not to die a martyrs death, and lived to write the book of Revelation. This Christmas and everyday it is my choice to practice Christianity, in a world where many choose not to tolerate biblical beliefs.

Mmm, I thought it was the emperor Domitian?
Of course, I didn't find any reference to actual Roman historical records detailing this... nor even in the Bible.
A reference would be appreciated.

What I find interesting is why non believers would wish to post about him.

Because (whether or not he was 'real') he is an ideal that people should emulate much as the virtues in all religions are social virtues embodying humanity's highest ideals.
What I find interesting is why believers find non-believers so fascinating.
Maybe it's the belief that we're moral because we're human instead of being threatened with a fiendish afterlife?

Ah well...
...please enjoy the grace you find in your religion this season and grant me the tolerance to celebrate my joy.

ETA: Have fun! Be happy!
 oldwxman
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 10:54:57 AM

What I find interesting is why non - believers would wish to post about him

Actually, it should be expected because non believers know more about Jesus and his mission. I heard on the news recently that many uneducated people call themselves Christian because they think that it is part of being white supremacist, anti Semitic, anti government, anti tax, pro gun or pro military. Their identifying as Christian really has very little to do with Jesus at all. Most of these people never pray or attend church. They don't read the Bible. These people aren't the same as the people who staff soup kitchens or deliver food boxes to the poor and elderly; living their lives as Jesus directed. It is kinda like people calling themselves Italian when they were born in New York and have never been to Italy.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 3:14:19 PM
I believe Jesus said one thing to his companions and followers. Sometimes called "The Golden Rule"

"Love one another as I have loved you."

Most people confuse this with "Love one another as you love yourself" but this is wrong.
Most people don't know how to love themselves. Jesus if not for nothing else showed/taught us how to love one another and how to love oneself.
 2ufo
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 4:30:02 PM
There's also the 'do unto others as you would have done to you'.

But there are parallels in other religions.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 4:57:38 PM
Oh for gods sake<<<
Is this not an off topic thing?

Also sick of song lyrics.
You all seem to think you can claim them as your own.
My head is hurting.
 moraima
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 5:36:30 PM
I second Clytemnestra's post.

Enough already!

Especially the song lyrics.

I just don't understand people who live in the past with their musical taste.
 MsMicki
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 5:53:08 PM
I am one of those that live in the past with my musical tastes....
because I think today's music sucks - with just a few exceptions.

I was never a hard rocker...was always a "mellow" type of music listener...
so todays rap and the crazy hate music I hear makes me instantly turn my 70's music back on so I can go back to my zen state!!

As for Jesus and religion....
sometimes you just need to believe in the power of prayer and miracles.
I just spent the last 2 days praying my soul out as my great nephew was robbed and shot.
He is alive....and even the doctors have called it a miracle.
So....you can choose to not believe...it doesn't affect me in any shape or form...
and I will continue to believe....without it affecting you in any shape or form...
and I will never feel the need to explain or defend my beliefs to anyone but my God.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 6:41:31 PM
^^^ Ms Micki, your post reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw a few years back,,,. It said...

He said it, I believe it. And, that' it.

I liked that and I respect folks that draw strength from their beliefs and convictions. It has got many people through some tough times and situations.

I say, no explanation necessary if it works for you. Best wishes for your Nephew too.
 athenashelmet
Msg: 36
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 6:49:14 PM
History cannot always be googled, nor found online. Contact the Greek Orthodox, or Catholic dioceses for the information you seek. Much is available about the lives and deaths of most of the apostles is in classical Greek, and Latin.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 8:00:06 PM
I am not a church going person, as many wear 2 or more faces. However I have Faith, which really is believing when there in evidence or not.
 cooldog65
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/19/2018 8:45:08 PM

I am one of those that live in the past with my musical tastes....
because I think today's music sucks - with just a few exceptions.

Who wants to listen to no talent auto-tuned bullshit?
 spot4username
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Airing of Grievances
Posted: 12/20/2018 3:06:33 AM

Is this not an off topic thing?

All of this nonsense belongs in
Stories/creative writing
https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingForum90.aspx

Also sick of song lyrics.

Art/Music
https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingForum20.aspx
Airing of Grievances
Posted: 12/20/2018 4:58:53 AM
I Definitely fall into the atheist camp. My own thoughts are, people need something to believe in. That's fine by me, as long as they don't try to force me to believe it. Makes for interesting conversation, when my daughters boyfriend, who is a staunch catholic, comes over for dinner.
As for music, I don't understand people who say there is no good music out there today. I know there is, because I have heard it! Lots of good rappers, mainstream, and rockers. I won't comment on country music, because to me, it all sucks!
 CBGB77
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Airing of Grievances
Posted: 12/20/2018 7:35:45 AM
I have one question:

Was Jesus MGTOW or an incel?
 backcreek7
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/20/2018 8:22:54 AM

~ also sick of song lyrics ~

^^^ I wish to apologize to everyone here concerning my " song lyric " posting, in forums having nothing to do whatsoever with music. I think I must have lost my teenie tiny wittle bwain at times. And yes, there is a place for posting such things, which I chose to ignore.

........ Anyhoo, I hope you all can forgive me ~ I do admire & appreciate each and everyone of you !

........ Heart / I was a dumb a-ss / sun

........ Steve
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/20/2018 8:44:12 AM
great post/topic, thanks for starting the thread. probably doesn't belong here but 'off topic' would be worse! you would surely start a riot in there. post away, I can ignore anything I don't like.
 2ufo
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/20/2018 8:55:51 AM

History cannot always be googled, nor found online. Contact the Greek Orthodox, or Catholic dioceses for the information you seek. Much is available about the lives and deaths of most of the apostles is in classical Greek, and Latin

Ah, but you insinuated Roman historical records - which covered a lot of temporal territory.
Latin as an official language was used until around the 1960s. Maybe it's still being used by the Holy See as their official language (not sure about that) but I'm still not going to trust gossip/myth/urban legend just because it's written in Latin. Cave susurrone subtracto. (I love Google translate - it makes me sound so erudite.)
Anyway, still nothing written regarding John boiling in oil until the 2nd half of the 2nd century CE and then only 'by early Church writers' writing from the 2nd to the 6th century. They also wrote much of the manuscripts that are NOT accepted canon.

Religious figures are usually imbue with extraordinary power and grace long after their deaths. In fact, they actually have to die to be so kindly regard.

From Rudyard Kiplings 'The Disciple':
He that hath a Gospel
Whereby Heaven is won
(Carpenter, or cameleer,
Or Maya's dreaming son),
Many swords shall pierce Him,
Mingling blood with gall;
But His Own Disciple
Shall wound Him worst of all!

As for music, nothing good has been written since the death of Rimsky-Korsakov in the early 20th century.
*sigh*
Except John Williams 'Star Wars' and Hans Zimmer 'Pirates of the Caribbean'.
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Jesus ~ in laymans terms
Posted: 12/20/2018 9:49:10 AM
With some restraint...

Mr. OP started a POSITIVE, upbeat thread.

I appreciate that.

If others didn't/don't, that's on them...

If thy POF FORUM READING EYES OFFEND THEE, scroll down, or click on a new topic, easy peasy!
 PennyAnte
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Airing of Grievances
Posted: 12/20/2018 11:48:01 AM
"I have one question:

Was Jesus MGTOW or an incel?"

I think he was probably married. The Gnostic book of Mary Magdalene shows she was a prominent member of the early church.
She was probably partnered with Christ. She is not a prostitute in some discarded books by the Catholic Popes and Constantine.
Books that have been found last century such as the Dead Sea scrolls. He also revealed himself to her first when he rose up from
the dead which suggests she was more important to him that his disciples. We don't know I think he may have had children. Jesus
had brothers too so Mary didn't remain a virgin though out her life .

MGTOW is a backlash of third wave feminism. It was perhaps not part of this ancient culture. Unfortunate it is mainstream in ours.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Airing of Grievances
Posted: 12/20/2018 12:05:56 PM

Books that have been found last century such as the Dead Sea scrolls

5 of them were considered to be fake.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/10/22/us/bible-museum-fake-scrolls/index.html

MGTOW is a backlash of third wave feminism. It was perhaps not part of this ancient culture. Unfortunate it is mainstream in ours.

I wouldn't exactly call them mainstream.

Feminists and MRA's are mainstream, but MGTOW is just a bunch of guys that sit in a circle and have a w@nk. I'd take them serious if they weren't just internet based. One MGTOW on youtube made me laugh. He was renting a whore for sex HMM funny stuff.
 oldwxman
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Airing of Grievances
Posted: 12/20/2018 1:12:08 PM

Was Jesus MGTOW or an incel?

Incel? I doubt it. If he was celibate, there is no evidence that it would have been involuntary.

MGTOW? Definitely not. He led a movement. He could hardly have been going his own way and have so many followers.
 2ufo
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Airing of Grievances
Posted: 12/20/2018 2:11:41 PM

Books that have been found last century such as the Dead Sea scrolls

5 of them were considered to be fake.

Lots of manuscripts (and other artifacts) found in the Middle East are considered fake.
It's the default position until proven otherwise.
What else are people to do when rich tourists come into town and buy up those old papers that were being used for firewood?
I've even heard that the famed bust of Nefertiti is a modern re-creation.
Hmm, I wonder if the Pyramid of Cheops is a forgery?
 PennyAnte
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Airing of Grievances
Posted: 12/20/2018 6:34:29 PM
@Spec. Off topic: I wouldn't call the MGTOW community mainstream. I was saying it's unfortunate that third wave feminism is mainstream.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Jesus ~ in laymans terms