Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > blocked      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 26
view profile
History
blockedPage 3 of 2    (1, 2)

The only way to know you were blocked is that you sent another email after not getting a response.

Please remember that online, no response, is the response. Don't email them over again.

This is why some ladies block, they don't want to get emails from the same people over and over again if they are not interested.
but I have had first messages blocked! 'maybe' one was someone I messaged long ago but I really don't send out that many and unlikely all that blocked me were second messages. almost as if they scrolled threw the profiles and blocked anyone they didn't like. I totally get blocking after they cant take a hint, but that isn't the case.
 moraima
Msg: 27
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/17/2018 3:44:00 PM
"unlikely all that blocked me were second messages."

Have no idea how it would be possible if it wasn't second message.

"almost as if they scrolled threw the profiles and blocked anyone they didn't like. "

??? Impossible

??? Who would have time or interest to do that, if it was possible???
 purplerider1200
Msg: 28
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/17/2018 3:59:37 PM
If someone blocked me, they just wasted their time doing it. I'll never know, because I don't bother to message anyone. Is it some sort of power trip? Could be. How can you claim power over the blocked person, when the blocked person had no intention of messaging them in the first place?
 spot4username
Msg: 29
view profile
History
you are all blocked bah humbug
Posted: 12/17/2018 4:12:29 PM
There are lots of threads about blocking in the Suggestions/Help section.

There is a work around for blocking a person who has not messaged you but I won't post it. Suffice it to say that the average user won't know how to do it.

Being blocked and not meeting a person's set parameters are not the same thing. I see that a lot of men get the two confused.

The first post in the following thread explains blocking.
https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts4910100.aspx
 Spectrallight
Msg: 30
view profile
History
you are all blocked bah humbug
Posted: 12/17/2018 4:56:48 PM

There is a work around for blocking a person who has not messaged you but I won't post it. Suffice it to say that the average user won't know how to do it.

That was far to easy to accomplish on one of the bot signups.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 31
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/18/2018 6:47:20 AM
The Christmas tree is beautiful and your cats are cute but none of those pictures show you. You should try to be in all of the pictures even if there are less pics. Do you have a friend that could help take some natural looking pictures of you. Just you. Especially for the main picture. If your main pic is the tree it can be reported because it does not have your face in it. POF has a system here where people who are inclined to self police are given random pictures to rate and either reject or approve of them. Your tree will be zapped.

Ask a friend to help you with pictures or your Mom or your Sis or preferably a female relative. They can capture you in your best light and take more candid pictures.
If you want a profile review. Go to the PROFILE REVIEW forum here. It's a couple of floors up ^^^^^^^That way.
 Natey2
Msg: 32
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/19/2018 2:21:49 AM
The system here is flawed: Abusive Blocking has no consequences to the blocker, but can adversely affect the blockee's account if blocked too many times.

I got blocked after a nice and cordial chat exchange simply for being a little sympathetic to one of Trump's policies.

I wouldn't block someone who mis-dialed my cellphone number any more than I'd block someone on initial contact. Unfortunately, many POF women are not like that. And these are the women who state in their profile to contact then via a message instead of a Meet Me request because they are not upgraded users on POF and can't see Meet Me requests! I'd stick with a Meet Me; they receive too many messages to read them all anyway: UNREAD DELETED.

And there's also no easy way to find out if you've been blocked.

I've requested user statistics to be made public so people know who the blockers are and can choose not to contact them at all: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16734078.aspx

I'd like to see a Leaderboard of Blockers on POF, like they have for high-scores in some games.

And POF should sell blocks, e.g. 10 blocks cost 1 token, or something like that.
 HUMHUMA
Msg: 33
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/19/2018 4:02:50 AM
Depends on how and what you said to them....and then there's the idiots that just won't converse because ….the nemesis of on-line dating....sucks but if they did that then they aren't worth the time....move on!
 daynadaze
Msg: 34
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/19/2018 7:59:33 AM
Is there any known reason to believe that getting too many complaints will get you kicked off here? I know it's talked about a lot but I don't remember ever seeing any proof.

I do not think showing how many people someone has blocked is a good idea, that seems awfully intrusive, am I misunderstanding? Wouldn't you have to have proof that someone was harassing them as apposed to just not wanting someone contacting them? Wouldn't someone who keeps turning people in for petty reasons also be kicked off?
 Spectrallight
Msg: 35
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/19/2018 1:03:36 PM
No wonder women block. I was just reading a profile and the woman is seeking permanent weekend buddy and obviously she has kids and works which stands to reason. I seen a screen shot saying this:

You want to see someone at weekends only no wonder why your ex left you for a real woman who cant do sex, you fat old sexless freak of a c*nt.

https://pics.pof.com/dating/1157/26/37/4fcc3e1b8-5e00-4429-b943-2de5ce669fff.jpg

That's a first message 0_O. Gentleman or what lol?
 MustangGuy81
Msg: 36
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/19/2018 6:42:32 PM
Is there a way to block someone that hasn't replied to a message and your message is marked read deleted?
 Spectrallight
Msg: 37
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/19/2018 6:50:09 PM
^^ Why bother doing that move on.
------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
 MustangGuy81
Msg: 38
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/19/2018 7:31:22 PM
I don't want to contact them again and I could forget as time passes they could complain i'm bothering them.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 39
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/19/2018 7:39:57 PM
I don't want to contact them again and I could forget as time passes they could complain i'm bothering them.

^^^ dude ya are WAY overthinking this
 whiterose0
Msg: 40
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/20/2018 7:59:28 AM

Sounds like a low self-esteem issue to me. Put on your big boy pants and get over it. Blocking those women for that reason is childish.
 Natey2
Msg: 41
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/20/2018 8:05:55 AM
MustangGuy is right. Sometimes women change their pics and we think it is a new person we haven't contacted and not the same old person.
Maybe blocking isn't the solution here, but I think POF should leave old messages there and not remove them from the sender's view, so we know we already contacted someone a while ago.

I would also like to see a Leaderboard of Unread Deleted people in some public statistics display on POF, so we know who not to waste our time contacting.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 42
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/20/2018 8:10:36 AM
If you use the site via desktop. It tells you that you have messaged the user in the search results. It won't if you change account though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 43
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/21/2018 4:01:18 AM

I asked from above,

quote]Since I have never been blocked, I do not know how one discovers that they HAVE been blocked...……………..unless...………...one sends an initial/1st message, receives no reply so ………….attempts to follow up with a subsequent/2nd message? It is THEN the sender realizes they were blocked by the receiver?

Inner Circle replied:

The only way to know you were blocked is that you sent another email after not getting a response

Thank you Inner Circle for the info. Makes perfect sense. Can anyone dispute this?

I can easily dispute the above. Inner Circle is wrong.

Anyone who goes to their inbox within 30 days of the most recent message in a conversation can notice the disappearance caused by a block.

Last week I knew a psycho blocked me. She DID respond to me in the past, and I did NOT send her another message as a reason for the blocking. The reason I went to my inbox is my spam folder from real email said I had a new message. Instead of one additional line in the inbox, there was one fewer! Apparently the new message had been from a spammer who had already been deleted.

The other missing conversation: I had messaged her, she replied, we exchanged about 5 more messages and I suggested we go to texting and she agreed. Few things are stupider than blocking someone on POF after the conversation moved away from POF, but that's what she did several days later. Our texts were positive midday the first day, then she said she wasn't feeling well and was going to take a nap and would text me when she woke up. Because I shut down my phone rather early, I sent her a text about an hour before shutting down, saying hope she feels better and that I shut down my phone by 9. Her reply was extremely rude: "Go ahead and shut down your phone now. I really don't care". Of course I was done with her as soon as she wrote that garbage.

Overnight the psycho sent a text "Good night lover". Clearly I should have been the one to block her on POF, but I tend to let conversations auto-delete after 30 days. When I logged onto POF the next morning, she had sent me a new message "Good morning". I replied on POF saying that things were done because of her text last night about not caring. Her reply was a non sequitur and I didn't write anything to her on POF or text. Several days later I got the notification about the new message from the new user, logged on, and noticed that the conversation with the psycho was gone. Later that morning, psycho sent me a text saying "Good morning". This proves it's not true the blocker doesn't want communication. I texted back, saying I knew she blocked me on POF. Her reply was "yup". Then she sent another unsolicited text "You never loved me". I replied that she's right, I never loved her, and for her to go away. She sent a couple more abusive texts and finally disappeared, at least for now.

Often the blockER is the inappropriate person, not the blockEE. She blocks because she's mentally unstable, falling in love with a screen, then getting angry when her delusion about him is shattered. She might rationalize that if she hadn't blocked him, he would have tried to contact her again. If she didn't block him, she would know he never tried to contact her again.

Has happened before. Three years ago a wacko bible thumper messaged me first on POF (didn't realize she was wacko or overly religious at first). After several rounds of POF messages, I suggested we take things to texting. We then spoke on the phone and arranged a first meet date for the next day. When I woke up the next morning and turned on the phone, she had sent a text overnight saying she saw my profile had an interest "Freedom from religion" and that she needed to be with a believer. Next time I went to my inbox, I noticed that our conversation was gone. Obviously the Jesus freak had done the block in a fit of rage after losing her delusion that I was Christian (stupid beeyotch should have viewed my profile BEFORE messaging me, instead of viewing one image and none of the settings, interests, about me, etc). At least she actually communicated _why_ she didn't want to continue, a rarity.

You can also find out if someone who didn't respond blocked you without trying to send them an additional message. If they're not in sent messages (and you didn't delete the sent message) but still in contact history, you might have gotten blocked. Not that it's likely someone would check unless they thought the site was buggy and the message didn't go through. But it shows the claims are dead wrong about the only way you know you're blocked being sending another message after being ignored.

Two of the senders deleted their profiles, created new ones on POF, to send me ANOTHER vile message.

This shows the futility of blocking. Shows POF's method of deleting users who have been blocked a certain number of times is flawed, because an abusive spammer might create a new account after being deleted, and send new messages from the new account to previous victims.
 MeramecRiverRat
Msg: 44
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/21/2018 6:10:48 AM

Sometimes women change their pics and we think it is a new person we haven't contacted and not the same old person.

An option to hide profiles from searches would be great, not just to avoid messaging someone twice, but to avoid re-reading the same profiles of people we already viewed and determined are not a match. OKC had a good hide feature (they since made you open the profile to have a chance of hiding). POF somewhat hides people you've messaged from New Users; a good idea but it doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. I realize we cannot expect any new functionality on POF since the Match acquisition.

If you use the site via desktop. It tells you that you have messaged the user in the search results. It won't if you change account though.

You're referring to Contact History, right? What I do before messaging someone for the first time:
1) Right click anywhere on the POF page to open a new tab (so I can keep the profile in the existing tab).
2) Go to Contact History.
3) With "I Made First Contact", set both the lower and upper age fields to the age of the person I am considering messaging.
(4) Bisexuals might have to do a 4th step of selecting the gender of the person they consider messaging.

This should bring up all the active profiles you've messaged with that age, so it will show the person you want to message if you already messaged them. If you don't see that person, go to the other tab and send a message.

At least once this strategy showed I had already sent her a message. Had sent the message over 6 months before.
 whiterose0
Msg: 45
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 12/21/2018 10:38:44 AM

Sometimes women change their pics and we think it is a new person we haven't contacted and not the same old person.

I didn't usually block men who messaged me again after I didn't reply to their first message, assuming a few months had passed between messages. I didn't change my pictures very often, so that excuse wasn't there.

If I received multiple messages from the same man that were just a few days or weeks apart, I might block. I'd figure he remembered me, but was just overly pushy - OR he mass-messaged a lot of women. Either way, he'd come across to me as a pest.
 ssm508
Msg: 46
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 1/1/2019 10:10:50 PM
I have contacted women a second time on occasion. Usually after I added new pictures or revised my profile 2-3 months later. There is also a chance that a woman was taking a break from OLD the first time he contacted her. Or she was talking to other men at the time and it didn't work out with any of them.

I wouldn't block someone because when someone gets blocked a certain amount of times ( unknown) POF systems deletes your whole profile. Blocking is for rude and persistent messages. I rarely if ever get a man here that is rude or abrasive or disrespectful. I personally think that would be the only cause to block someone.

Agreed.

Instead I would just choose to ignore. Some people think this is "rude." I think it is the most gentle way to be turned down or rejected. With silence.

For the first email, I don't care if I get "No thanks" or no response. However if 2 people had at least 1 date / meeting and then I think it would be rude to ignore someone. In particular when there was some discussion of another date and the other person changed his/her mind.
 MyTrueCompanion
Msg: 47
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 1/2/2019 7:15:05 AM

There is a trick I have learned to block people who haven't messaged you yet. If you know her username just make sure she is offline when you do this. If your an upgraded member you can see the times if not you'll have to wait till the online now is off. Go to your mail settings and select no for users to be able to see you viewed their profile, save the settings. then visit her profile send a quick message with one word, quickly go to the sent msg tab and click view message you will then have the option to block that profile. After you can then change your mail settings back so people see you viewed them if you want.

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16542147.aspx

when i googled the question this was one of the links that came up...
 19Harry55
Msg: 48
blocked
Posted: 1/2/2019 10:03:51 AM

Am I wrong for reaching out first?

Very possibly. I think you should get to know know someone a bit before you start reaching out for them.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 49
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 1/2/2019 2:29:21 PM
^^^^how would you get to know them in the first place if you or they didn't reach out and say hello first? that defeats the entire reason to have dating sites.
 happytobealive2
Msg: 50
view profile
History
blocked
Posted: 1/3/2019 7:19:43 PM

Why is it I notice that when I reach out to someone and say hello , hi , how are you , or some type of greeting , to introduce myself , some , like 33% block me ?? AND all I did was reach out first and say hello . Am I wrong for reaching out first ??? is there something about me that is that bad for you to block me??? it is discouraging to me . any ideas on how to rectify this?? thanks guys and gals for any input .

Welcome to O.L.D.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > blocked