Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do muscles make it easier to attract women (srs question)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Do muscles make it easier to attract women (srs question)Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

It's better than struggling with a hanging middle-girth which hides the best part.

Apparently, some might argue we should be finding that mid girth sexy. Otherwise, we may be discriminating against those who can't find their way to a gym or put down the Big Mac's and beers. Preference be damned! You are required to like beer bellies or else you are discriminating. Or so I read, something to that effect, over in the "short man syndrome" thread.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Do muscles make it easier to attract women (srs question)
Posted: 3/20/2019 6:46:37 PM
I agree with daynadaze and Clytemnestra (sp)

I've found, surprisingly, that there are a lot of muscle-bound men who are chubby-chasers.
But, like daynadaze, an overly muscular/bodybuilder body looks weird to me, and not attractive.

A number of years back, I had a boyfriend who was a competitive bodybuilder. I was attracted by his personality, and gorgeous face.

I know it was really appealing to many women, as they would throw themselves at him. Once when we went out to dinner, a waitress hit on him, and gave him her phone number when I was in the bathroom. He told me about it. One of his neighbors put nude photos of herself through his front door mail slot, with a note inviting him over. He was really turned off by these "chasers."

Since you say trying to bulk up makes you "miserable", why do it?
Seems like only really superficial women would reject you for not being "bulky." Enough.
Depends on what you want, I suppose.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2019 11:56:48 PM

Above/below?.....you only see this through your subjective eyes.

Above/below average -- when it's maybe a little above, a little below -- yeah, that's when the subjective eyes definitely come in. But looks isn't at all purely subjective, though. It's an ingredient in the mix. And beer goggles help blur those lines - lol. We like to think it's as subjective as possible, because underneath it all, it's to avoid negativity on our looks (and others' we respect).

I've found, surprisingly, that there are a lot of muscle-bound men who are chubby-chasers.

I know a lot of muscle-bound men, and they're not chubby-chasers. That said though, they can be very horny, so as far as just hooking up is concerned, yeah, there are some who will not turn down a gal with a cute face & (extra) curves. I think also having a good amount of girth on him (even in a good way) also helps make this not feel like such a leap, VS Skinny Shawn.

He told me about it. One of his neighbors put nude photos of herself through his front door mail slot, with a note inviting him over. He was really turned off by these "chasers."

Yeah, he was really turned off if she had any attractive qualities about her. Sure. (Fake Subtle WINK WINK)

I dated a gal who tell me stuff about guys hitting on her & making moves when I'd be on the other side of the bar with friends, or even a random situation which I didn't need to know about but was told. They Can't be cheating; I mean, come awn -- why would they Tell me, right? :) Found out she was actually fooling around with others. It was a way to diffuse any potential suspicion + due to the yearn to indirectly brag about it. My type of situation turned out not to be so rare from what I heard from others.

Since you say trying to bulk up makes you "miserable", why do it?

If working out with weights, in and of itself, makes you feel miserable & feel like hell, you're going about it the wrong way when you're seemingly already in OK shape like he is. It's not tons of cardio that wears the heck out of you. In the beginning, it's best not to roll out crushing everything -- your muscles aren't used to it. It shouldn't be any more a "negative" experience than just weight lifting in general. But working out (properly) makes you feel better, and you're glad you did after you do it. It's the trying to make it routine (ugh), and getting the ball rolling when you're not in the mood to (ughh) that sucks, before it becomes solidified in routine.

But why do it? It's good for your health, looks, and mood, overall.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2019 2:19:24 AM

I know a lot of muscle-bound men, and they're not chubby-chasers. That said though, they can be very horny, so as far as just hooking up is concerned, yeah, there are some who will not turn down a gal with a cute face & (extra) curves......

I'm not talking about hook ups. I'm talking about very muscular guys who are more attracted to bigger women, than to thin ones. I'm on a pay-only site for larger people, which has a surprising number of muscular male members who seek out plus-size women.

I personally prefer larger, teddy bear, cuddly guys over slim ones, although I have never declined to date someone just because they were thinner than my ideal.

***I know that the majority of ALL men, including muscular ones, prefer thin woman. I'm just saying that more than you would think prefer or are totally accepting of, larger women.***

My husband of nearly 20 years was extremely athletic. He jogged, kayaked, and would regularly hike 20 miles or more with a 60lb pack on his back. He was wiry/muscular.
The competitive bodybuilder I dated, proposed- and gave me a diamond ring. A lot of guys who prefer larger woman do not wants their friends to know this, however, as they are afraid of being judged.

-And as a plus size woman, who has never had a "hook up" or any relationship based mainly on sex, I speak from experience.
Posted: 3/29/2019 2:12:58 PM

Apparently, some might argue we should be finding that mid girth sexy. Otherwise, we may be discriminating against those who can't find their way to a gym or put down the Big Mac's and beers. Preference be damned! You are required to like beer bellies or else you are discriminating. Or so I read, something to that effect, over in the "short man syndrome" thread.

Let me know when we ever see a media whinefest over "body shaming" directed toward garnering sympathy for men. The spotlight has been solely on women for ages now.

We're never going to see memes with John Goodman's fat a$$ captioned with "Beautiful MEN come in all shapes and sizes!!!" plastered all over Facebook. Ever.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2019 2:33:41 PM
msg#80:
We're never going to see memes with John Goodman's fat a$$ captioned with "Beautiful MEN come in all shapes and sizes!!!" plastered all over Facebook. Ever.

Actually I know quite a few women who have celeb crushes on John Goodman. Myself included~ (Blush)

Welcome back Mister Pig!
Posted: 3/29/2019 2:49:46 PM
Heeeeey, thank you.

John Goodman was just an example I used as an overweight man not *typically* thought of as a "heartthrob". My point is, men are accused of being "body shamers" for rejecting overweight women and expressing not being attracted to them, yet women typically get away with ripping on overweight men.
 backcreek7
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2019 4:42:05 PM

... oink ... oinkk ... oinkkk ... oinkkkk ... oinkkkkk ...

... the bacon is back in the pan ~ it's about F*UCKING TIME !
... heart / GOD LOVES A PIG / sun ...
... col ( chuckle out loud ) ...
 cooldog65
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2019 8:13:53 PM
The Pig is back! *high five*
Posted: 3/29/2019 11:44:33 PM
Thanks, guys. I see a lot of people have checked out since I was last here, eh?

adventurejoe70
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2019 6:19:09 AM
I once read someplace that only about 10% of women liked or found bodybuilders attractive as a "type". That being said, since only 1% of the population were bodybuilders there was 10x more women who appreciated bodybuilders, more than their were body builder obviously.

My husband of nearly 20 years was extremely athletic. He jogged, kayaked, and would regularly hike 20 miles or more with a 60lb pack on his back. He was wiry/muscular.

Well apparently in studies where they just show photo's of men's bodies.. wiry/muscular is the most preferred. There was a study used multiple times where photo's were shown of different muscular body types based on size/definition. The wiry one was actually Brad Pitt from the movie fight club. But respondents didn't know it was Brad Pitt.

Brad Pitt was/is an actual ectomorph( hard gainer/smaller bone) so since it would be extremely hard to get him really built size wise for the movie they put him on a workout regimen that actually reduced his weight to 155 lbs, but so cut up that he had extreme definition. This is the body women seem to choose more than others.

Ironically, Hollywood then bulked him up for "Troy"

A lot of guys who prefer larger woman do not wants their friends to know this, however, as they are afraid of being judged.
Perhaps but slim guys have a similar problem. Heavier women don't want them often because they are afraid being side by side will make them look heavier due to the comparison.I had a short petite friend who had this trouble constantly since he liked heavier women . I ca honestly say that, unlike all the guys on here always complaining of being written mostly by heavier women, my experience is the opposite. I generally get only thin and athletic girls initiating with me. I even had a women once sent me some message similar to this" God you are handsome but you need to gain weight at least to 200lbs." Discrimination works both ways or is it preference?lol
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 87
Posted: 3/30/2019 6:30:00 AM

I once read someplace that only about 10% of women liked or found bodybuilders attractive as a "type". That being said, since only 1% of the population were bodybuilders there was 10x more women who appreciated bodybuilders, more than their were body builder obviously.

I'm not sure where you learned math thhough it was yet another day where no one used algebra on the forums
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2019 11:14:46 AM

Brad Pitt was/is an actual ectomorph( hard gainer/smaller bone) so since it would be extremely hard to get him really built size wise for the movie they put him on a workout regimen that actually reduced his weight to 155 lbs, but so cut up that he had extreme definition. This is the body women seem to choose more than others.

I’ve never understood what women saw in Brad Pit. To me he has squinty eyes and five o’clock shadow. He’s not a huge guy, but being on film gives one the appearance of being bigger.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2019 11:25:37 AM
^^^Women get manipulated by media as to WHO they like often enough. In my era they wanted Christian Slater and Keven Baker..TWO men that even are weird looking by Hollywood standards. I once wrote a whole essay on this phenomena an a few of the wise women here said I was right. That being said it was his shirtless image in Legends of the Falls that made him. But I don't know many women who like him. But women of my cultures (2 actually) don't sweat him. But he was actually VERY small in fight club but looked strong due to his low body fat. Think Bruce Lee!
That being said studies show women think men with 5 oclock shadows have sex appeal and squinty eyes is masculine, like a hawk. Those are valued traits.But for Brad since he is more pretty boy type it has made him look weird in his older years.
 cooldog65
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2019 12:14:49 PM

Keven Baker

Never heard of him. Do you mean Kevin Bacon?
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2019 12:21:53 PM
^^^
You will have to forgive my typo, this is some weird auto spell correct going on but Baker sounds funny though don't it?

Here is link to study: https://foxhoundstudio.com/blog/fitness-lifestyle/the-ideal-male-physique-%E2%80%94-what-girls-want-want-guys-want-to-be/

According to it the guy who looks from starvation beats the body builder.
 julystorm22
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2019 12:30:14 PM
I was really into Brad Pitt's character on Legends of the Fall but I don't usually like blonde guys. I think the way the character was written made me like him lots. I tend to like outdoorsy guys.

I am not attracted to super skinny guys and what was said above regarding a heavier girl being self-conscious with a skinny guy applies to me. Just like how I feel with a shorter guy. But when I say skinny, I mean non-muscular. Thin guys with a slight build are very attractive.

I have been interested in a lot of guys and what frustrates me is that though they are my type, I am not their type. I have gotten a fair bit of interest from indoorsy office-type guys and the attraction factor is just not there. But a guy wearing construction clothes or outdoor-work clothes gets my interest. Suits and tuxes make someone rather unattractive and boring to me. Uniforms are something that makes a guy attractive too. I have spent plenty of time fantasizing about the paramedics who share our office and when I was at a client's and I had to call an ambulance yesterday, the two paramedics that showed up I was tongue-tied with I was so attracted. A certain kind of attire can turn a guy I wouldn't typically notice into a hot guy immediately. Maybe its just because I really respect those type of jobs and I admire a guy who works hard and isn't afraid to get his hands dirty.
Posted: 3/30/2019 12:49:00 PM
Useless factoid for the day - one of my early POF usernames was Brad Pittiful.

Carry on.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2019 1:21:08 PM

Useless factoid for the day - one of my early POF usernames was Brad Pittiful.

Good one but I thought I had you beat on comparing crack heads to Xenomorphs from Aliens.

I have gotten a fair bit of interest from indoorsy office-type guys and the attraction factor is just not there. But a guy wearing construction clothes or outdoor-work clothes gets my interest. Suits and tuxes make someone rather unattractive and boring to me.

Where I live the "indoorsy" type usually is buffed underneath while the outdoor type is overweight. I always believe it is better to be overdressed than under dressed for men. Like in the movie scene I link below, my experience is being in a suit get me "laid" more often in a non suit up place then wearing denim in a place suited up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x3-d7_GxNk

Uniforms are something that makes a guy attractive too.

As I said once before , Guys in emergency services, we are WARNED to avoid the groupies and badge bunnies. They are trouble and usually crazy. I hadthese chicks that use to do weird crap. One I dated use to try dominate me and another was stealing my cuffs and stuff and then wouldn't give it back. Luckily, I kept my dept. issued ones away from her.
 FFS38
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2019 3:07:24 PM
Isn't it true that these muscle-bound types are often making up for a lack of something in other areas?
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2019 8:23:24 PM

I'm not talking about hook ups. I'm talking about very muscular guys who are more attracted to bigger women, than to thin ones. I'm on a pay-only site for larger people, which has a surprising number of muscular male members who seek out plus-size women.

First, if you're not talking about hookups -- then you cannot assume at all that on a "big girl" site, that there's somehow a lack of hook-up desire by guys on there. So I wouldn't use that as the measuring stick. :)

Second, a guy can be very muscular but the opposite of being ripped/cut and be overweight in the negative way, too. Yes, I can see them also liking gals like guys who aren't muscular but just big, liking bigger girls too. Many times our tastes of what we optimally desire are shaped by what we can more easily get and have had positive fun experiences with said types. That said -- no, there is no trend of muscular/ripped (competitive body builder) types liking "big girls". At all. Opposite direction. I can see them not liking notably skinny gals, and liking some meat on a gal's bones as do many of the good-in-shape gals at the gym have, but that's a far cry from "big girl". But I know many of said guys, and I've observed guys over my many years at various types of bars and public places -- that trend of more-than-chubby chasing simply is not there among them.

I once read someplace that only about 10% of women liked or found bodybuilders attractive as a "type".

I think 10% is awfully low to mere potential attraction. I can see 10% being an Optimal desire tho, sure. What one says VS does are two different things. Things like this is where you tend to see variants between the two concepts. I also think picturing the cover of a body building magazine with a guy in a speedo flexing & pumped up ripped with his veins popping out all over -- probably makes them say no over the phone in a survey. But that's not at all required for a body builder, and not what they're going to be interacting with IRL when their attraction is tested.

wiry/muscular is the most preferred. There was a study used multiple times where photo's were shown of different muscular body types based on size/definition. The wiry one was actually Brad Pitt from the movie fight club.

Personally I wouldn't call Brad Pitt wiry from that movie. More like slender/ripped/muscular; his arms weren't small. That said, I would assume that if they Were told it was Brad Pitt, their Yeses would go down, because it's k0Ol not to be attracted to Brad Pitt, even if it just showed his body. :)

Link to The Brad from that movie (+ some guy's pic trying to look like his body):
https://discourse-cdn-sjc1.com/tnation/uploads/default/original/3X/d/9/d9c4cdf4bf0e60e491ef0557d26f499450ad5ed0.jpg

A lot of guys who prefer larger woman do not wants their friends to know this, however, as they are afraid of being judged.

I don't think so; not from my experience at all. I think a lot of avg-slender guys who just end up having a liking to jump on a large gal for a roll in the hey-hey-hey (usually after drinking a lot and/or really horny) will have a desire to keep it on the down-low, yeah. But guys who prefer large-women who are not at all large themselves, will tell their friends that. Us guys like that! He's willing to "jump on the grenade" when mingling with some gals -- no returning of the favor required! ;)

Heavier women don't want them often because they are afraid being side by side will make them look heavier due to the comparison.

I think it's mostly a default assumption they won't be found attractive by said slender guys -- or just wanted for a pork-n-go. Through my life, my large-gal friends & acquaintances were attracted to guys who were in good shape & relatively slender but not skinny at all. But gals, large-gals included, aren't the ones who pursue the others. Online it can happen more -- with Likes & some initial messages. Gals are less apt to send initial messages than guys By Far. And when they do, going for someone clearly out of your league is going to happen a lot less. So I wouldn't use that as a measuring stick. But I do think if the guy is on the slender side, and she's a large-gal, the height comparison means much more; and they are going to be more picky than avg-body Jane about him having some meat on his bones, yes.
 nba24
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2019 11:47:40 PM
I would think so just like I think big boobs or butt is going to attract more guys.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2019 7:11:32 AM

Personally I wouldn't call Brad Pitt wiry from that movie. More like slender/ripped/muscular; his arms weren't small. That said, I would assume that if they Were told it was Brad Pitt, their Yeses would go down, because it's k0Ol not to be attracted to Brad Pitt, even if it just showed his body. :)

HAHAHA..I knew you were thinking that. Minus points for being Brad.

So what type attracts to the Xenomorphs? Do do haveface huggers ya know?
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2019 10:08:45 AM
Joe, thanks for the link to that study. i think the takeaway (judging by how they repeated it) is that a body style like Brad Pitt's in the movie Fight Club looks normal. its not too fat, its not too buff. it just looks like someone eats sensibly and is active. As for the character he played in Legends of the Fall, i saw that with a female friend who saw me a a friend and thus had no issue telling me what made the character, Tristan, look so hot (and if you check out the wikipedia definition, she wasn't far off).

Tristan was a bit more than an alpha male or an outdoorsy type, he was a wild spirit. he went to war not for glory, however, but to protect a vulnerable family member. he broke rules like Prohibition, he wasn't a suit, but he was loyal to family. he was a bad boy in a way, and the cultured women who had something to offer couldn't catch him, but the native girl did it simply.

as for the movie clip of the bar scene, what lass who thinks she can do better than a wifebeater in a hick bar wouldn't find a well dressed Big City dude with confidence sexy? :) but i get the point.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2019 10:52:42 PM

So what type attracts to the Xenomorphs? Do do haveface huggers ya know?

I don't understand what you're getting at (flies over my head)...

is that a body style like Brad Pitt's in the movie Fight Club looks normal. its not too fat, its not too buff.

Pretty broad category described that way. Pitt's body was super low fat %, yet having a 'buff' body in a more slender way. He could have put on 10lbs of muscle and I believe his results wouldn't have really changed; if anything an uptick higher. But 10lbs doesn't put on a whole lot of volume when you're average height & it's just muscle (dense).
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do muscles make it easier to attract women (srs question)