Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 226
view profile
History
Women always wanting men quite taller than themPage 10 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)

A woman can lose weight. But they can rarely get rid of a rubbish personality.

Yes, a woman can lose weight, but the majority never do so. And if they do, most of the time they will not succeed in keeping those extra pounds off for a long time.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Women always wanting men quite taller than them
Posted: 3/17/2019 5:35:47 PM
Msg:225

Yes. We can select height, body shape, eye color, hair color or none, etc.

But the amazing thing is....we all find different things attractive.

And....onetheotherhand....you are just lovely. :)
 backcreek7
Msg: 228
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 6:55:57 PM

> msg 225 > you are cute as a button, ontheotherhand ~ you're sweet as can be !!

... ps? I posted a song, just for you in playlist ( msg 235 )~ hope you like it ...
... heart / it must be love / sun ...

... S ...
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 229
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 7:05:03 PM
^Watch yourself....S... that woman is mine.
She has already agreed to run away with me. ;)
 backcreek7
Msg: 230
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 7:16:48 PM
^^^ WELL !! Weeze ( meeze & youzzzz ) gonna have to mud wrassle over that one million !! ( puts on nearby tidytite shortypants, goggles, fins, helmet, brass knuckles, mud flaps & tennis shoes with cleats ) ^^^

^^^ no worries 1,000,000 ~ the cleats are plastic, col ...

... & don't be thinkin' your gonna knock me silly cuz >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I'm already there !!!

... so HA !! ^^ take that one, you lil' kitten you ( meow ) !!!
... ( check the song out, bet ya a million you'll like it, col )

... heart / kitten / sun ...

... ;) ...
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 231
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 7:21:40 PM
^Haha! That would be funny!

And puppy? Au contraire....more of a cat. ;)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 232
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 7:53:08 PM

Me either.
But it has been important to some of the women I have encountered over the years, online OR offline, when the subject has come up in any way.

So have you dated and spent a lot of romantic moments with women a 2-3 inches taller than you? Mostly men still make the first moves, have you even asked out many women taller than you?

I loved my first GF, but some things are just more awkward. Like it doesn't fit for her to sit on my lap, sitting on her lap is just plain weird. Most of the time I never even thought about our heights, but since that time I have spent a lot of time with women shorter than me, and some things are just physically easier.

And if she is both taller than me and weighs more, which isn't hard to do, then it's more awkward. I would say, she doesn't make me feel as masculine as a shorter woman would. But maybe I am just insecure?

Most men say they don't care, but it still takes two to tango.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 233
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 10:49:39 PM
Now, now MR and backcreek. You two will give me a swollen head, and that is just silly. Still, thank you.

Back on the subject, the fact remains that men and women have preferences. To be offended because you don't fit that preference is no reason to belittle anyone's preference. I went thru a period where I felt it wasn't fair that I didn't fit all men's preferences - until I learned to like me and accept myself. It was quite freeing.
 fashionchic
Msg: 234
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2019 7:30:50 AM

How many average height men date or are paired off with women a couple of inches taller?

Overall not that often. But I have seen it at beach volleyball events that I attended. Many of these female athletes are very tall. Some of them had boyfriends or husbands that were about the same height or a little bit shorter.
 ssm508
Msg: 235
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2019 7:55:13 AM

To be offended because you don't fit that preference is no reason to belittle anyone's preference.
Having a height preference is one thing. However having strict height requirements often based on stereotypical reasons (such as the ones I mentioned on msg 16) is one of the main reasons why height is a hot button topic on the POF forums.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2019 11:52:05 AM

Back on the subject, the fact remains that men and women have preferences.

To be offended because you don't fit that preference

no reason to belittle anyone's preference.

Once again, "preference" and "requirement" are not synonyms:

From the dictionary:

'pref·er·ence
[ˈpref(ə)rəns]

NOUN
a greater liking for one alternative over another or others.
"he chose a clock in preference to a watch" · [more]
synonyms:
liking · partiality · predilection · proclivity · fondness · taste · inclination · [more]
a thing preferred.
"my musical preferences are blues and swing"
synonyms:
favorite · first choice · top of the list · choice · selection · pick · [more]
favor shown to one person or thing over another or others
"preference is given to those who make a donation"
synonyms:
priority · favor · precedence · advantage · preferential treatment · [more]'"

".re·quire·ment
[rəˈkwī(ə)rmənt]

NOUN
requirements (plural noun)
a thing that is needed or wanted.
"choose the type of window that suits your requirements best"
a thing that is compulsory; a necessary condition.
"applicants must satisfy the normal entry requirements"
synonyms:
need · wish · demand · want · necessity · essential · necessary/essential item · prerequisite · requisite · precondition · condition · stipulation · specification · [more]"

Note that neither word is listed as a synonym of the other.

A headline of "MUST BE AT LEAST 6 FEET TALL" is NOT a "preference".

How many times does this need to be explained?
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2019 12:49:36 PM
If that preference is a requirement in a profile say next. There are men's profiles that say no whales, blondes only, looking for Asain women and other charming statements. Some men even height requirements. The whole thing boils down to you have value. You aren't going to change their minds any more than I can. You know a lot of those women have been on here for years. Love yourself enough to roll your eyes at her and move on.
 Inicia
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2019 12:59:48 PM
i have no height preference as far as i know, and in the past i never did, i am almost 5'11": so ??? lol my inbox isn't chock full of messages from men under five ten.. lol ??? i rarely check the height of men i message, but not getting bunch of responses regardless.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 239
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2019 1:53:01 PM
I have an account at Match that is no longer a paid membership, so it exists basically for browsing only. For those who haven't tried Match, their profiles list the minimum and maximum height preferences openly without needing to do detailed searches.

Skimming through about 50 local ladies this weekend, most could be argued that their height MINIMUM preferences are merely "a few inches taller" -- at least for those in the average to taller ranges. (eg. 5'5" = 5' 8" minimum). Even though keeping search ranges at the same height would be more 'Fair' -- I assume most would agree that is typical.

The oddity is that the petite types - say, 5'3" and shorter -- were far MORE likely to list that above-average MINIMUM preference of 5' 10" up to 6' 3". As a Minimum, not Max. In fact, I'd venture to say the only shorter ladies that did not draw this above-average line were the profiles that did not list any preference at all - which was fewer than 1/4 of them.

So how do you justify to some guy of below-average height that this is fair? How do you tell someone with a straight face that they should only 'bother' attempting to grab the interest of maybe three percent of what is out there - when you yourself feel you deserve a chance with far more?

People can argue that several demographics can be changed to improve attractiveness - body type, income, life achievements, etc... but our height is generally fixed, like our age and race. How can anyone overcome the mechanical, impersonal separations we set inside these search engines - aside from lying about a stat - just to get noticed?

Arguing that a specific category of people are 'vain' with their search specifics and should be ignored - where does that line of vanity start?
Above average? Slightly Taller? Three inches is OK, but taller is vanity?
Face it, MOST people in here are NOT interested in exact matches - because a lot of us can't stand ourselves, much less the idea of having a duplicate.

I just find it amazing how people won't specify what THEY do as any more vain than anyone else. We ALL believe we are 'average' and deserve at least a little better.

If we cannot handle someone who is our equal to ourselves these most basic statistics, why should we believe doing better is our right and 'settling' is a bad thing to be discouraged? If you decide to commit to someone, YOU ARE settling. Demanding that commitment from someone first without being willing to reciprocate is pretty much the definition of narcissism. It's always a leap of faith, and hedging your bets with a loaded set of dice when you start your search means absolutely nothing if you can't walk away happy, win or lose.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 240
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2019 2:35:10 PM

Whenever I have had a "for dating" profile I always listed my height and weight in the body of the profile. I believe the labels (on all sites) are subjective. I figured if a guy liked what he saw and the stats were to his liking he could message me or would respond to my message. /shrug/
Well, you’re in the vast minority. Probably means you’re petite/thin and it’s an advantage for you. Ain’t nuttin’ wrong with that…flaunt it if ya got it!! It’s like some of the taller men’s profiles I’ve seen every once in awhile will say, “6’2”” right in the beginning of the text, even though height is already prominently hard coded into all profiles. It’s kinda like saying, “In case you missed it, I’m tall!” Conversely, you never see a man's profile that says, "I'm 5'6"!"

Men might not care so much about woman’s height, but they will care about her horizontal width and girth.
That’s why a quantifiable measurement reflecting that reality would be equivalent to height. Something that’s an instant “flush n forget” (FNF) button – based on a coldly objective, quantifiable body measurement - that men can use when they want to quickly whittle down search results and move onto more productive (and reproductive lol) endeavours.

Au contraire. There is a corresponding flush button for men on here. You can still select body type in your search criteria. That does help get rid of most of us fat chicks. Most of those that slip thru because they've lied, you can weed out thru pictures. The point remains that men can use search filters as flush buttons to select height and body type (weight) too. It was on all the sites I've tired.
But my point is looking at/assessing pictures takes valuable time though. Pictures aren’t FNF. Ya gotta look at ‘em and think about ‘em. And sure “body type” is a FNF option but it’s nebulous. This is equivlent to having height choices as “needs a booster chair,” “short,” “medium short,” “average” “fairly tall,” “almost tall,” “really really tall,” and “In the clouds” instead of actual height. What is a “few extra pounds” anyways? I mean, is it 5 pounds? 15 pounda? 25? Where is that “extra” deposited? And what’s the weight to start with?... to assess % of “extra pounds?” Cuz 10 pounds is “more extra” on a 110 lb woman vs a 150 lb woman. Makes it more difficult for men to coldly and instantly pare down choices to save time to qualify that next viable target to send that next witty, irresistible message. More time searching, less time messaging. Unlike the height FNF hammer that women wield andt shorter men have to suffer.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2019 7:46:24 PM

Height has never been important to me. Offline or online. Most women will end up being much shorter than me. But I wouldn't turn down a physically attractive fit woman just because she is tall.

For the most part, comparing how a guy feels about height in a woman vs vice-versa is comparing apples & oranges. I think the main Underlying motivator for short-to-average guys (merely) not preferring women noticeably taller than he (mutually flat-footed) is because guys prefer to not chase/approach women with a high degree of rejection. It's not difficult to find an average or taller guy say he's really attracted to tall women with long legs, even taller than he. But it becomes like an Easter Egg hunt on Memorial Day to find an average or taller gal saying she's really attracted to short dudes.

Guys generally speaking Are attracted to (attractive) gals taller than him; he likely will be less attracted to the notion of making a move given the high failure rate (but alcohol helps).

most OLD sites provide an easy flush handle for women to er, eliminate short men from any consideration at all. It’s a huge “You do not exist!” button they can push…that streamlines their search and saves time.

Which is why some ladies don't think they're about looks as much as they may be. It's quick & simple weeding; no thinking / analyzing required. It's a number. The focus goes on feeling them out in other depts. Reminds me of when I was in one of the other forum section by State/Province here, many eons ago -- and one (avg height-ish) gal was talking about how she's not into looks, but did mentions she needed a guy 5'11" or taller. She claimed it wasn't about looks - lol.

But there is no corresponding flush button – reflecting a physical attribute - provided for men to flush women accordingly. Such as weight.

You can by body-type. One can weed out "A few extra pounds" & "BBW" in their search. But as stated, people have control over what categories they can end up (Actually) falling into. One can't with height.

The only quantifable physical characteristic men can search women on, height, but how many men really care about a woman’s height?

Again, IMO, it rests mainly on rejection-probability. A 5'10" guy hitting up a real cute gal who's, shoot, 6'1"? Yeah, it'll happen, it's dudes online (lol), but if he's rational, he shouldn't expect a response. But IRL? More intimidation to do so. He'd be willing to mingle, but, like expecting a response online, he shouldn't be expecting 'sparks' unless he's otherwise out of her league.

That's not to say a guy for an LTR wouldn't prefer a gal who's not taller than he. But that's more along the lines of a 5'4" gal preferring a guy who's not Too much taller than she. Ymmv.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2019 8:19:52 AM
^^^All this talk about "SEARCH" but do most people use search? Back in the day I basically wrote women I saw online and I think they did the same to me. In fact, while I am online is when messages seem to come in.

As for Hawking, always worried that women exclude him in search results..does it matter? Since majority of women WILL NOT initiate messages it is irrelevant what search attributes they use.

FULLMOON you got me in trouble once for defending you ...lol.

Once again, "preference" and "requirement" are not synonyms:
A headline of "MUST BE AT LEAST 6 FEET TALL" is NOT a "preference".

How many times does this need to be explained?

Couldn't say better myself. But online dating preferences can become requirements for women due to the "candy shop" phenomenon. I suspect women realize the numerical advantage eventually they have her,e and increased their standards to become requirements. It is human nature . I have seen it overseas with men who work there. An expat guy in Poland has no interest in the expat women while he lives there. In fact those same women who he would "have settled for" back in USA and who would reject him, are often alone at night with their cats while the men realize their dating market value has increased. Sadly dating opportunities are linked with supply and demand of HOT bodies. See how you fare as the only man on an island of women...unless they go lesbo! :P
 Inicia
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2019 11:04:30 AM

If we cannot handle someone who is our equal to ourselves these most basic statistics, why should we believe doing better is our right and 'settling' is a bad thing to be discouraged?
i think this kinda sums up a huge amount of the difficulties; dare say i for most heterosexual pairings.
We aren',t necessarily looking for a good relationship; rather, we consider only what meets our criteria of good masculine or feminine counterpart. Who are not always those our personality would be suited.
Indeed this can centered on a weak personal ego, not sure if it quite meets vanity requirements-however, many people do not have healthy gender identities and indeed this choice necessary to assuage insecurities by pairing self with only expressed "good" sic.*masculine/feminine qualities, . With how the media portrays tall women, i wouldn't doubt that some shorte, RL women need claim the "prize" lol.. in order to level the playing field.
for ex. :"that's the type you play with, not bring home to meet the family"?? often a "loose" *sic. woman can't be wife or partner.. that is just one that comes easily to mind. tons for both men and women
 purplerider1200
Msg: 244
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2019 4:55:39 PM
Oh get real for once.

Women what only one thing. A tall guy that has a pile of cash that equal to his height.

Preferably in $20's and $50's.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2019 9:28:14 PM

But online dating preferences can become requirements for women due to the "candy shop" phenomenon.

That's why I always say there's a difference between scoping online, scoping among a crowd IRL, and scoping within an extended circle of friends, etc. What can be a Requirement online can be a mere preference when it comes to people you end up getting to know. Online is more stringent for most women -- as there's tons o dudes knocking at their inbox door, and they're all Strangers to boot. Because this usually isn't any conscious decision -- some people find it insulting that you point it out to them.

Another example is how one expresses their alleged tastes VS what they really are, when they come to touchy subjects that can make them look bad/shallow. Like who-pays or height-in-guys. Many times when the convo comes up (like in forums; but certainly IRL) -- a gal's expression of how she feels/sees things isn't necessarily as bad as it Really is. Not that one's lying, but it's more an internal conflict when the concept's brought up, as it sounds/feels more shallow when you really think about it, if what you truly do desire or expect is too stringent.

Same can be said for guys if having a convo, even without gals in the mix, about looks. If a guy is too stringent on looks in a gal when it comes to having the fully-rounded desire to Date her -- his expression in how he feels isn't necessarily going to be as bad as it Really is. Again, not that he's lying to others, but it brings the potential shallowness to light. I would also say gender vice-versa.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 246
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2019 11:23:14 AM
NG wrote:
You can by body-type. One can weed out "A few extra pounds" & "BBW" in their search.
My point is “BBW” and “A few extra pounds” – arguably the main physical characteristic men will search on - is fuzzy terminology! It’s not a coldly objective measurement like height, arguably the main physical characteristic women search on. I’ll argue, for the hoot of it, that a fair comparison, instead of BBW and a few extra pounds, would be circumference. Some women put “BBW” and they really aren’t BBWs, so circumference would be a convenient tool to weed out BBW impostors if you want efficient means to find true BBWs, or hit em with the flush and forget if you don’t prefer them. Like women do with shorter men.

Sure, I get it though…OLD sites need to attract as many women as possible, because an OLD site that gets a rep as an online hot dog convention dies quickly. You don’t see bars and clubs giving away free drinks to men! (Unless it’s a gay bar, and that begs the question, do gay bars have “ladies’ night? Would it be called “receivers” night, or “bottoms” night? And for the trans community, could a “man” claim he “feels” like a woman that night to get free drinks? But I digress.)

Thus, in the end, wisely, OLD sites are gonna be as “nice” as possible regarding physical appearance filters applied to women to attract said women.

So men have to work harder, spend more time, to weed through womens’ profiles instead of having convenient flush-n-forget tools at their disposal, such as weight, or circumference, for their search. But then again, men enduring obstacle courses to find women, such is the way of the world.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2019 11:31:28 AM
Purplerider wrote:
Women what only one thing. A tall guy that has a pile of cash that equal to his height.
That’s two things.

Preferably in $20's and $50's.
”Preferably?” But not required. A $1 bill is cash, too.

So your assertion has a lotta moving parts here. What’s “cash?” what’s a “pile” and what’s “tall?”

Let's play mythbuster here. Let’s just say, to meet the bare min of your assertion, it’s a stack of dollar bills, and “tall” is 6’ tall. Then, according to the website below, a stack of $1 bills, 6’ high is $16,776.00.

While I have seen profiles that require 6’+, I haven’t seen any that require that a man be 6’+ AND possess $16,776. So I call BS on your assertion here.

https://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_thickness_of_a_dollar_bill
 purplerider1200
Msg: 248
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2019 6:41:59 PM
It's called a joke. Remember those?
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2019 9:48:18 PM
Not funny, honey.
There are a few women around these here parts......
 2ufo
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2019 10:41:13 AM
^^^
… who have a sense of humor.

So men have to work harder, spend more time, to weed through womens’ profiles instead of having convenient flush-n-forget tools at their disposal, such as weight, or circumference, for their search. But then again, men enduring obstacle courses to find women, such is the way of the world.

Men don't have to work any harder than women and this simply means that you need to either ask for a recent photo or meet them in person.

Let's play mythbuster here. Let’s just say, to meet the bare min of your assertion, it’s a stack of dollar bills, and “tall” is 6’ tall. Then, according to the website below, a stack of $1 bills, 6’ high is $16,776.00.

Oh, feh…. just make it quarters. That would be a pile of cash worth about $250 for a six-foot tall man.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them