Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Women always wanting men quite taller than themPage 11 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)

My point is “BBW” and “A few extra pounds” – arguably the main physical characteristic men will search on - is fuzzy terminology! It’s not a coldly objective measurement like height

True, but weeding out "a few extra pounds", and certainly BBW -- will do a good weeding. Yes, "Average" is going to contain a lot of bodies that, in many eyes, should be "A few extra pounds". It is fuzzy -- but I think there is some predictability to it. You're not going to find many gals who could use a diet who put "Thin", just as you're not going to find many gals who don't need a diet who put "A few extra pounds" (ie 15-30). The real fuzzy is "Average". But we have pictures, at least. But I think that's your point -- you'll Want to include "Average", even though we all know it'll include chubby folks (girls & guys) who should be putting "A few extra pounds".... but with height being a straight-up #, won't be seen.

Some women put “BBW” and they really aren’t BBWs

I really don't think so. I mean, you can say that they could get away with "A few extra pounds", as we all know that means more than a mere few anyway. BBW doesn't require some truly Massive woman. It should mean "it's going to take more than a summer diet to be good, healthy weight". It basically means "fat", where a-few-extra-pounds means "chubby".

So men have to work harder, spend more time, to weed through womens’ profiles instead of having convenient flush-n-forget tools at their disposal

Women are looking at body-type, too -- not just the more convenience height-weeder. And yes, women are more open for a guy having a-few-extra-pounds in the right way on a guy; but that brings more judgement call.

Men work harder in general online not due to that. Men have to work harder at online because there's 2.5 guys to every gal, and the gals get their messages cumming to Them, not the other way around; the guy has to initiate things and fight thru the sausage-fest to do so, if he's vying for a sexual experience (date). :)
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Women always wanting men quite taller than them
Posted: 3/22/2019 8:16:10 PM
It's relative actually. When I look at a man's photo whose body is not shown, and his profile says 'average' body type, I figure if he is my age, that includes a large belly. lol. Maybe I'm being unfair but it is what it is. I think I have average on my profile although many would consider me slim but I know about the extra pounds hiding under my clothes...sigh. Although.....since I've knocked out the alchol, I've lost almost 10 pounds in 31 days! 5 to 10 more and I might be ready to hit the gym again. Give me a couple of years and when I'm sixty, I'll be able to call myself 'athletic', hee hee. Dreaming...yawn. G'night all my little forumites.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 253
Posted: 3/23/2019 2:27:35 AM
^^^

Waits patiently hoping to see what's under her clothes now that she brought it up.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2019 8:16:42 AM

Waits patiently hoping to see what's under her clothes now that she brought it up.

Thank you for the laugh!!! Out loud and inhaled my coffee. I'll see what i can do one of these days.....
 spectravision
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2019 12:09:32 PM
^^ Adding a drum roll...
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2019 12:57:11 PM

Men work harder in general online not due to that. Men have to work harder at online because there's 2.5 guys to every gal, and the gals get their messages cumming to Them, not the other way around; the guy has to initiate things and fight thru the sausage-fest to do so, if he's vying for a sexual experience (date). :)

I’ve heard that’s not necessarily true. The gender ratio varies by age and geographic location. In my area and age bracket, the ratio between men and women is supposed to be about even. When you eliminate guys who are just out for hookups the number of available men looking for actual relationships is even smaller.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2019 3:25:16 PM
It's not 2.5 around here. More like 8 to 1.

Good thing I decided riding was more important than women.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2019 10:08:24 PM
When someone lists their body type as 'average', what does that really mean?

Here's what the CDC says:

Data are for the U.S.

Measured average height, weight, and waist circumference for adults aged 20 and over
Men:
Height in inches: 69.0
Weight in pounds: 197.8
Waist circumference in inches: 40.3

Women:
Height in inches: 63.6
Weight in pounds: 170.5
Waist circumference in inches: 38.7
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/body-measurements.htm
Msg: 259
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 6:55:34 AM
I never understood why female preference for male height eludes men.

Both men and women have personal preferences. However, both men and women have preferences that are originated from evolutionary instincts and not so much aesthetics. Most of the time the individual is not self-aware of this.

Men optimally prefer women of reproductive age and multiple women if possible. This is a instinctual preference as younger women are most likely to produce healthier offspring.

Women prefer tall men. This is because height conveys strength. That strength equates to healthier offspring and thus more likely to survive. This perception of strength also means the male they would be reproducing with would be more likely to protect the female during the long process of gestation and subsequent child-rearing. Protection from predators and competing males.

Men and women have evolved opposite mating strategies because sperm is cheap and abundant and eggs are expensive as is the time/ resource investment. Women who are looking to reproduce (18-early 30's), it still makes sense to desire a tall male.

I think issue arises where post-reproductive and geriatric age (35+) women are still desiring tall men. This I think baffles men as these women are no longer reproducing nor are men competing nor fighting over middle aged women. Additionally while most men realize they cannot or likely not procure a substantially younger woman and adjust their dating preferences accordingly, women still hold onto this preference for height. I think this is due to the fact women are far less capable of engaging in introspection and realize this preference is instinctual and unnecessary at their age/ life stage.

This is why you generally still see female profile preferences for height yet you do not see men's profile preference for youth.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 7:42:15 AM

This is why you generally still see female profile preferences for height yet you do not see men's profile preference for youth.

A lot of women these days are also going for younger men. It’s increasingly common. I’ve seen it women’s profiles. My ex was 12 years older than me, and I tend to get messages from women that are about 5 to 7 years older than me.
 spectravision
Msg: 261
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 7:54:34 AM

A lot of women these days are also going for younger men.

I can say this is nothing to do only with recent times. When I was 18. I was generally having nookie with 27 to 38 year olds. They think we clueless and easily manipulated at that age ;)
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 262
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 7:59:38 AM

A lot of women these days are also going for younger men. It’s increasingly common. I’ve seen it women’s profiles. My ex was 12 years older than me, and I tend to get messages from women that are about 5 to 7 years older than me.

True, and apparently they often will even put up with some of the things they wouldn't in an older guy including being short, overweight, immature and living at home with mom!

Not wholly true. I have seen profiles looking for youth from guys. In addition since men generally initiate it is moot the value to put a preference in a profile. Men often do send messages to younger women, and that might be one of reasons POF doesn't allow big age gaps. But men are more likely to go for what they visually find attractive. We don't need to articulate it in words all the time.

That being said, anytime you see a women's profile saying "tired of players" and "not looking for games"..YOU GO MAN! It is code for "all I meet are game players and subconsciously looking for them". Those headings attract them like white on rice.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 8:53:43 AM
I can't confirm the ratio but I can confirm that there are either not a lot of men with faith on POF or that there are no men seeking a woman of faith. It seems I get messages only from men who obviously have not read my profile and are not invested in actually meeting anyone....like does anyone take seriously a message that says "Hi", or "Hello there" or "You're cute". Like....really? At least in real life, one can create inflection in their voice that sends a message....."Hi" with sexy intonation, or "Hi" with big inviting smile....The written word just doens't do that. One must use a little creativity like "Hi! I notice we have many of the same interests in common. Have you been canoing lately?"
Or....maybe I'm just too particular.
 Peter_Hungus
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 9:31:56 AM

Not wholly true. I have seen profiles looking for youth from guys. In addition since men generally initiate it is moot the value to put a preference in a profile.

Agreed. But just to clarify which maybe I failed from my above post, I didnt mean just younger ( like the typical 3-7 years) I meant substantially younger. That would be beyond the typically age disparity ( 50 male 25 female or 60 male 35 female) that you would only find with men with wealth or celebrities.

I can't confirm the ratio but I can confirm that there are either not a lot of men with faith on POF or that there are no men seeking a woman of faith. It seems I get messages only from men who obviously have not read my profile and are not invested in actually meeting anyone....like does anyone take seriously a message that says "Hi", or "Hello there" or "You're cute". Like....really? At least in real life, one can create inflection in their voice that sends a message....."Hi" with sexy intonation, or "Hi" with big inviting smile....The written word just doens't do that. One must use a little creativity like "Hi! I notice we have many of the same interests in common. Have you been canoing lately?"
Or....maybe I'm just too particular.

I think the big problem with the above is two-fold.

One is that many of the older women with new found faith used to live life with typical self-indulgent lifestyle. One nightstands with hot guys, promiscuity, partying it up etc. Many men of this same age who might have been turned down by these same women have put their nose to the grindstone now feel it's their time to be self-indulgent. The last thing they now desire is being told by a woman who 20-30 years would have given up sex night one if the guy was hot, is now stating to; take it slow, lets get to know each other, lets spend time at church.

The other issue is most older self proclaimed Christian types proclaim to have faith yet adhere to liberal ideals that are in direct, objective opposition to christian teachings, such as homosexuality, abortion, transexuality. Christianity and Liberalism are irreconcilable and most intelligent people don't want to be with someone who is not competent to see the hypocrisy. People fail to realize that religion is modifying your lifestyle to fit the religion, not modifying your religion to fit your beliefs/ ideology.

Lastly, I think when men see older women who have "faith", this is interpreted to them as " no sex". Meaning, postmenopausal women lose their sex-drive and now replace their libido with faith. For most men this is a signal to move on.

I am not stating any of this pertains to you, its just been my observations. But largely I think it has to do with men being deprived in their younger years who have worked hard and want to enjoy/ indulge in the fruit of their labors. They certainly don't want the restrictions that come with religion.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 9:57:31 AM
I believe women look for men that "have a way with words", when reading opening messages and profiles. If men can't inspire that, then they may as well take up more inspiring pursuits to occupy their spare time.

I don't come across too many guys with strong religious beliefs. Men, for the most part won't talk about it in the course of normal conversation between guys. I'll bet, most guys are like me, we'll look sideways at a woman that claims their faith is important. Because chances are good, that religious woman will look at sex as a taboo subject. When I was skimming profiles, that was an automatic skip. I never bothered to read any further.

I use all my creativity up at work. Where it's appreciated.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 10:16:36 AM

I believe women look for men that "have a way with words", when reading opening messages and profiles. If men can't inspire that, then they may as well take up more inspiring pursuits to occupy their spare time.

As I was telling Hawking, he would better off spending time mastering his profile. Witty, individual personalized messages tend to be a waste of time. Sure your response % will probably be better but it will NOT likely be 3x better, certainly NOT worth spending 5x the time. I used to send just "Hi there ;)" or a wink, and it worked well enough. We had these debates here on POF and others dare to try and they admitted the rat of return wasn't that different. Hemingway admitted that much. I did once get a girl say something like" are you retarded or something? All you can do is wink at me? your retarded". I also know there were women who didn't even read messages, or not right away. They went first to photo's and profile.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 12:08:14 PM

A lot of women don’t read profiles either. I clearly stated in my profile that I don’t believe in the traditional idea of men always asking first and always paying for everything. I also asked for more creative messages than short generic ones. That didn’t stop older women from messaging me saying that they’re looking for old-fashioned dating and sending simple “Hi, how are you’s“.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 12:17:11 PM
^^^That doesn't mean they didn't read your profile. It means they just aren't listening to your requirements. LOL
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 2:12:05 PM

Because chances are good, that religious woman will look at sex as a taboo subject. When I was skimming profiles, that was an automatic skip. I never bothered to read any further.

But even the religious man wants sex. A guy who only believes in sex after marriage will still look for a woman who doesn’t see it as a taboo subject within a monogamous relationship.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 2:22:57 PM
@SS4544Spd
Your "profile" is hilarious. Thanks for the smile.

@purplerider1200
Bitter, much?

There are quite a number of male gold diggers in OLD, and men looking for someone to physically take care of them, as well.
I call it Purse or Nurse Syndrome-
The former want you to pay their rent, and the latter are looking for someone to push their wheelchairs, and wipe their bums.

Also, there are MANY male profiles which go on and on about God being the most important thing in their lives, and headlines reading "Seek God-fearing women." MANY.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 3:29:07 PM
Joey said:

^^^That doesn't mean they didn't read your profile. It means they just aren't listening to your requirements. LOL

I feel men and women are guilty of this because, face it, we want what we want whether it's reasonable or not.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 272
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2019 5:15:35 PM
^Very true.

The heart wants what the heart wants....and usually without having a conversation with the mirror first. :)

(And I don't mean that exclusively on an external level)
 julystorm22
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2019 9:32:50 AM
I have gotten lots of messages from guys in their early 20s and I have considered it just for fun but I haven't pushed the play button yet. Maybe this summer when I have free time when my kids are away.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2019 10:13:06 AM
the heart wants to be happy.

hopefully the head knows the healthy way to accomplish that. we feel comfortable around behavior we recognize. the more you respect yourself, therefore, the less time you waste on partners whose behavior makes you uncomfortable.

there is also another organ in you, that wants what it wants. that's usually driven by the biological need to procreate.

hopefully, both organs work in accordance with each others' needs.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 275
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2019 11:46:01 AM

I have gotten lots of messages from guys in their early 20s and I have considered it just for fun but I haven't pushed the play button yet. Maybe this summer when I have free time when my kids are away.

Have thought about what would happen when you have to meet s 20-year-old guy’s mother?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them