Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 purplerider1200
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Women always wanting men quite taller than themPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Gee, if it wasn't for the argument, this thread would be boring.

Just another version of the same old , worn out gripe.

And I still have the same old opinion. It's the height of your wallet that makes the grade.
 jerseynative7
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Women always wanting men quite taller than them
Posted: 2/11/2019 9:44:56 AM
Arent most men taller than women anyway? So why all the fuss if a woman prefers it?
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2019 9:48:52 AM
^^^

It gives some of these people something to whine about. There's another thread with pages and pages about this.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2019 11:31:30 AM
To answer the OP - Yes, it is a very common theme.

To make it ABUNDANTLY clear - this is not a gripe about being 'taller' in general - it's about having a MINIMUM preference that is ABOVE AVERAGE for virtually any nationality on the globe. Trying to minimize the damage by falsely assuming 'taller' only - sounds a lot like Fox News trying to spin some azzhole's racist remark as a positive.

We are ALL guilty of wanting more, or better than we previously had. Get hit with enough rejections or bad matches, and it pretty much becomes a requirement out of our own insecurity. Are there tons of profiles out there lying about their age or height? Heck, yes -- because it's a number, and frankly is about the easiest thing to be proven false. There's a bajillion other claims made in profiles that are probably not true as well, but proving them takes more than a 1st grade math problem.

But WHY do people lie? Out of spite or malice? Or maybe, just maybe, they have realized their target audience demands that number more than anything else?

Lying about a number like age or height is really no different than placing a bunch of well-cropped photos with the 'MySpace' angle, or in front of stuff you don't own, or a bunch of photos from the ONE vacation you took five years ago. It's ALL false and misleading. We portray ourselves as we WANT to be seen, not necessarily as the way things actually are. It really doesn't matter how much you want to guilt trip the other side into being truly honest --- this is ADVERTISING, and the demand created by the IMAGE matters more than truth ever will.

If you want people to stop lying, then you have to accept the truth. If you continue to believe you are above average or deserve 'more' -- people are going to do what they can to make that happen. If it requires a lie, or a false image, to sell it to you -- then that is exactly what you will get.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2019 12:13:12 PM

Arent most men taller than women anyway? So why all the fuss if a woman prefers it?
I didn't take the o.p.'s statement as a fuss. more of a theme becoming more common in requirements. he did say 'quite taller'. 5'1" tall only dating 6' or taller? ya, her choice. no different than dirt poor only dating wealthy men or overweight only wanting physically fit. realistic or not, I can see the attraction in an extremely wealthy woman with a perfect body. taller, I get that but I do not get why women want a man a lot taller. i prefer shorter women but wouldn't be attracted to one 10" shorter. 20% taller means 20% longer body parts? even if true, just say you want a man with a big ****. i am content at my height so not 'whining' but do wonder why a women would exclude men that are not 10" taller.
 GodlessGal
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 3:50:48 PM
I'm sure many fat women, tall women, women with thinning hair, women with bad teeth, women with flat chests, women with many kids, etc are also put off by hearing how they arent desirable, just like short guys are. We all realize by the teenage years there are attractive and unattractive traits and we must compensate for them. Complaining, rather than addressing, does nothing but make one look like a self pitying narcisisst.
 johnfromzelie
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 5:18:22 PM

Complaining, rather than addressing, does nothing but make one look like a self pitying narcisisst.
how can one be self pitying AND narcissist at the same time? if being short truly bothered the o.p., how would he address that? just shut up and grow taller?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 5:30:43 PM

Complaining, rather than addressing, does nothing but make one look like a self pitying narcissist.

So where exactly do you draw the line between "Complaining" and "Addressing"?
I'll give you a clue -- it depends on YOUR attitude - more than the words they use.

Much like the opinions made after reading the exact same profile by 2-3 different souls, or read 2-3 weeks apart.

I wonder how much self pity and narcissism could be defined by someone lamenting their dating failures on Facebook or in texts to their 'besties', when their list of bad picks for dates might as well be clones of the exact same type of loser. Can't see the forest because of the trees.

There are plenty of women and men that are undesirable for cosmetic and behavioral reasons. Some things can be controlled or changed. Others are nearly impossible to change. Height is a fixed number. So is age. Attitude is not. The point of this argument is not about changing what people consider desirable. We ALL have a pretty good idea what we find attractive, and that doesn't change. The problem we are trying to 'address' by 'complaining' in here is how much variance people are willing to consider 'acceptable'. Because the answer right now sure as hell seems like it's next to zero. Any variance from the fantasy match is untouchable. So, people have to LIE to fit in that elite club - whether it's a number being changed, or a bunch of cleavage photos taken at flattering angles. If you can't be yourself, you can't expect anyone else to be obligated to be more honest.
 GodlessGal
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 7:46:09 PM

how can one be self pitying AND narcissist at the same time? if being short truly bothered the o.p., how would he address that? just shut up and grow taller?

Narcissists always pretend to be huge victims when someone doesn't comply with their grandiosity delusions

Again - learn to compensate. We all have our merits and demerits, part of growing up is learning how to adapt and thrive in the face of adversity. Plenty of short men out there are in loving relationships, they got a companion by honing on other traits that are just as important, if not more so, to women.

Do women like short men? Its not a preference typically, but many women will date a 5'6 man with strength & muscle tone over a 5"10 man who is skinny as a rail or morbidly obese. Many women would prefer a guy over 6 foot, but give them a 5'8 handsome doctor and she won't give a single sh*t how short he is. We all do this in our own way.

I'm a single mom and I'm old. It doesn't effect my dating, know why? Because I make damn sure to take care of my appearance and I went to school to get a kick ass job, so now I don't have to worry about being a liability or looking like a sad sack. People need to work with what they have, just whining and not trying to offset it is a major turn off
 GodlessGal
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 7:52:15 PM

So, people have to LIE to fit in that elite club - whether it's a number being changed, or a bunch of cleavage photos taken at flattering angles. If you can't be yourself, you can't expect anyone else to be obligated to be more honest.

Immoral people lie, "elite" behavior is having honor, there's a reason why so many profiles say: "no games", because rarer than a tall man, a sexy woman, or a millionaire, is a truly good and honest person.

BTW: My cleavage looks good from EVERY angle.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2019 10:30:41 PM

But what about your backside?
No, scratch that _ I don't even care.

My point is that these profiles are being manipulated BY US to sell our best sides, best appearances, best hopes, best potentials to another person -- it is NOT the whole picture.

A job resume sells us as an employee in much the same way -- but a resume must contain provable, researchable facts - dates, numbers, job positions - things that can be proven true or false. Most of what is in a dating profile is vague at best.

The other HUGE difference nowadays is that many employers are getting pressured to examining these resumes and databases 'blind' without knowing the physical appearance, race, sexual or political preference of the candidate involved. Online dating puts ALL that crap under a microscope - and really throws a lot of provable facts out the window.

With all the cosmetic and downright phony crap women put themselves through to keep up appearances - it's often laughable thing to be accused of being a liar over one number. Tell me again how the 'height in heels' thing is such a requirement if you wear them about 10% of the time...

Honorable people can live lives of the highest moral sensibility, be outstanding in their field, be amazing parent and role models -- but the truth of online dating is that if they have below average height or income, above average weight or age -- they might as well be the homeless bum sleeping on the park bench for all anyone else cares.

People cheat the numbers NOT ONLY for their own statistics, but more often - and far worse - for what they 'need' in a partner. What people want for a 'equal' match is usually, absurdly, even ridiculously - above average. We have an ocean of fours, fives and sizes all believing they DESERVE an 8.5 or higher.
 GodlessGal
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2019 4:05:20 PM
You seem to think everyone lies. Maybe because you are trying to justify your decision to do so?
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 8:57:39 AM
I simply feel more feminine holding the hand of a man who is even just slightly taller than I. Pretty sure I'm not the only one. Good thing there are a good number of short, shorter, tall and taller people out there in the pool.....lol.
 ssm508
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 10:17:49 AM

To be fair, the OP was talking about women who want men that are much taller. Such as women that are 5'4" or less stating on their profile they want men that are at least 6 feet tall. Many of these women probably couldn't tell the difference between a man being 6 feet tall vs 5'10" or 5'11". Another reason why this is a hot button topic is there are women that want tall men due to stereotypes. Such as the ones I mentioned in msg 16.
 cooldog65
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 10:42:52 AM
I've dated about 50 women over my lifetime. Height differences diminish when going from vertical to horizontal...
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 10:48:09 AM

I simply feel more feminine holding the hand of a man who is even just slightly taller than I. Pretty sure I'm not the only one.

That's probably the most truthful statement in here. And there's NO reason why people should try to defy nature just so a guy can get a date.

The stink gets made when people put artificial barriers up -- such as search engine settings - that coldly, mechanically separate people without review -- and use numbers or choices that are clearly dismissing anyone within an 'average' range. Matching someone has never been, and never will be, an exact science - but trying to 'error' on a superior level does not promise a better match - most likely a more clever level of criminal.

If you keep believing you deserve someone above 85 percent on that Bell Curve of desirability, you are not distinguishing yourself in any way -- because most everyone else is doing the same thing. If you want results to change, the only factor you can control is yourself - and that starts by drawing more reasonable lines of 'compatibility'.
 oldwxman
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 11:43:34 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that the very premise of this thread is completely untrue?

Women only ask for tall. What they want is a man who can project a sense of presence. Like Carly Simon used to say, "You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht." If a man can do that then it doesn't matter how tall he is.

Take it from a cripple. Women are much, much more forgiving of physical defects than a man would ever be. Height included. Different women are impressed by different things but they are hardly ever physical things.
 2ufo
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 1:13:45 PM
^^^
I agree.
 ssm508
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 1:51:08 PM

Women are much, much more forgiving of physical defects than a man would ever be. Height included. Different women are impressed by different things but they are hardly ever physical things.

In my experience, for the most part women care about looks just as men do. In particular with OLD. The biggest difference is some women may date men that aren't overly physically attractive because these men have money, fame, power, and/or prestige.
 oldwxman
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 2:39:58 PM

The biggest difference is some women may date men that aren't overly physically attractive because these men have money, fame, power, and/or prestige.

Sorry man. Those are the laments of a nobody. Ordinary, everyday men who are good with women outnumber the societal kingpins hundreds to one. Those guys don't need money or power or fame. They know how to capture a woman's imagination. You might say that they have a certain form of prestige. They are somebody and they know it. So do the women.
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 3:10:27 PM
I have lived with a guy that was 5'5". I'm 5'4". We used to hear a lot of jokes about hiring ourselves out to stand on top wedding cakes. He didn't like a single thing in my wardrobe when we were going to a wedding. So I wore one of his suits and dress shoes. 😂
I just feel bad for tall people when I'm flying economy.
I do prefer husky or solid men. I guess it is because the skinny ones usually tell me I need to lose weight. 🙄
 ssm508
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2019 4:36:15 PM

Sorry man. Those are the laments of a nobody. Ordinary, everyday men who are good with women outnumber the societal kingpins hundreds to one. Those guys don't need money or power or fame. They know how to capture a woman's imagination. You might say that they have a certain form of prestige. They are somebody and they know it. So do the women.

Offline, average ordinary men may have a relatively better chance because a woman may get to know him over a period of time and vice versa. But with OLD, these men may often not have a chance to show their personality. They are often immediately dismissed because of their height or education level or they don't have the greatest looking pictures. Just like many men may turn down a woman because of her weight or pictures.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2019 12:56:27 PM

Women only ask for tall.

Not every online search engine online has the ability to gauge the difference between 'Maybe' and 'No Way'. Some of the algorithms used in these sites throws in a certain percentage of random 'ballpark' matches because people get so specific that their laundry list would only find a half dozen exact matches out of several thousand people. Putting that preference into a mechanical separator won't give you emotional maybes - it spits out the size and content that matches - period.

Every preference we put into these search engines - may seem like we are 'asking' a machine to give us what we want. But in truth, it's more like covering up what we think we don't.

But with OLD, these men may often not have a chance to show their personality. They are often immediately dismissed because of their height or education level or they don't have the greatest looking pictures. Just like many men may turn down a woman because of her weight or pictures.

I fully agree that meeting someone in real life should always be a blank slate for you to try to work your best on that success - but online separations are NOT real life. Not even remotely close. You simply cannot know what you are missing online if the software does the blocking for you ahead of time.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2019 12:58:49 PM

I don't know how this got into a discussion of height but I will say that enormous breasts that hang near to the waist when unencumbered have never appeared attractive to me. A photo of a very large breasted woman will be flat chested lying on her back until you look under her arm pits.....lol.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2019 1:14:54 PM
[quote\Am I the only one who thinks that the very premise of this thread is completely untrue?

Women only ask for tall. What they want is a man who can project a sense of presence. Like Carly Simon used to say, "You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht." If a man can do that then it doesn't matter how tall he is.

Take it from a cripple. Women are much, much more forgiving of physical defects than a man would ever be. Height included. Different women are impressed by different things but they are hardly ever physical things.

Back on topic. I'm not sure of what you are trying to say here although you seem to imply that in spite of height or physical deficiencies that the objective manner of "presence" is a key factor. Hmmmm.....if that is the statement, I'm inclined to agree. Any man with whom a woman feels any kind of chemistry is going to be further intrigued by a self confident and independant personality with a definite 'air of presence'.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them