Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 576
view profile
History
Women always wanting men quite taller than themPage 24 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)
I love car shows. Tired of going alone, or passing them up, because I don't want to go alone.
Went to the Detroit Auto Show once, and the Henry Ford museum. Great experiences!

Got an odd message today- guy 6'5"- My profile says "don't contact me if you're too far away to meet or date."
He messaged: "Either I'm too, tall, too far away, it's always something."

I didn't reject the guy, he rejected himself.
Women always wanting men quite taller than them
Posted: 5/10/2019 3:48:12 AM

Yeah, it might depend on what else is going on at them. Something that's comparable to a bunch of old guys gathering around a Steak-n-Shake on a Saturday night, looking at each other's car engines wouldn't appeal to me, though.

I did go to Bike Week this year, though. It was the first time I had been since the 90s. It was very disappointing. It used to be much better.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 578
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2019 10:58:35 AM
I used to go to classic bike shows with my ex...I really enjoyed those.
Lots of interesting people

Haven't been to too many car shows, but every thursday night during the
summer, a bunch of people with classic cars show up in the parking lot at
one of the malls. Mostly they just chat, but I did get a fun ride in a 60's corvette
convertible.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 579
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2019 2:42:51 PM

The trouble here is we want to apply science to dating when in reality there is no one size fits all type of scenario... I think it's safe to say that there is no formula for the laws of attraction.

But the whole essence of Online dating is creating a math algorithm to set our searches. We are forcing science to make the choice for us.

I fully agree the "Law" of attraction is that there really is no law, but we try oh, sooooo hard to make it so.

Where I think people lose most of their chances is in that initial checklist of searches. Height is always an easy target, because it is a number that can be easily fixed -- but it can also be easily changed. If you like someone that likes to go to car or bike shows, that's cool -- but that is not nearly the majority of people in here. If you eliminate based on that criteria, you are probably knocking out at least 70, maybe even 80 percent of the average Joes. Add to that the tick marks for above-average height, kids or not, age range, and maybe a specific body shape, and you are just hacking off that minority by half or so with every little quirk you decide to check off. It only takes a handful of criteria to whittle a tree of choices down to a couple of toothpicks.

Do you think your chances are still good if you have 35 hopefuls out of ten thousand? Makes me wonder how many lottery tickets you buy weekly. The most brutal part of that math is that the guys are doing the same thing - hacking away choices based on a few check boxes - so your odds get twice as long that you are willing to share the same toothpick.
 Lindatasy
Msg: 580
Posted: 5/11/2019 10:50:18 AM
The thing that I find interesting is that when women have physical preferences in men, men try to come up with "logical arguments" to get them to abandon those preferences. On the other hand, women keep hearing that they have to just accept that men are "hard-wired" to go after youth and beauty because it signals fertility (even though getting a woman pregnant is the last thing they want), but hey, sorry ladies, just the way it is. So I say in return, sorry guys, women are hard-wired for guys that physically look like they can protect us and provide for us (signaled by height and strength/muscles), even though we know that there are no sable tooth tigers running around anymore or mammoths to hunt. Logical or not, attraction is what it is.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 581
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2019 12:15:03 PM

fertility (even though getting a woman pregnant is the last thing they want), but hey, sorry ladies, just the way it is. So I say in return, sorry guys, women are hard-wired for guys that physically look like they can protect us and provide for us (signaled by height and strength/muscles),

Good post..AGREED 100% THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE. But perhaps you haven't seen the trend in the last few decades. Women are attracted to more feminine looking guys in Western society. Pretty boys have replaced the traditional tall dark and handsome. If I recall yo are German, well Germany is a great example of that. The women have been getting heavier and the men more docile and feminine looking there. The only true Alpha cultures left in Europe are Eastern European and some parts of Southern Europe. It is ironic because in studies they show women separate male parts, the women pick the guys with the biggest chins, noses, brows and other cave man features as being attracted to them. However, when shown the whole mans face they chose more "pretty/feminine " looking guys. That being said, SIZE of muscles doesn't translate that bigger muscles means man is more attractive in women's eyes. Universally in almost all studies women pick men who are slightly muscled as in "fit" like a hunter(think African hunter tribes) NOT body builder types. For example Brad Pitts fight club figure where he slimmed down to 155 lbs is constantly voted as the most attractive body in most women's eyes. I linked the study in another thread.
So perhaps you are one of the few who actually want a guy large enough to wrestle a bear with his bear hands, but most women want a guy with endurance to chase a lion and chuck a spear far enough to kill him while keeping safe which signifies strength, endurance, and brains! To this day most police academies and military boot camps emphasize endurance over brute strength. In fact they train us to win the fight which means enduring to the end. The Mike Tyson types and Hulk Hogans of the world get winded after a few minutes!

In the end what is "healthy" should be whats hard wired in everyone's subconscious since that is what is most important to spread the good genes.

he thing that I find interesting is that when women have physical preferences in men, men try to come up with "logical arguments" to get them to abandon those preferences.

I assume you never read those profiles from women that have an overweight women exclaiming how "REAL MEN love curves". If you can show me a mans profile that says something similar I will give you 10 dollars!(oh gee a whole 10 dollars). That being said is it surprising that some men think you can change your preferences? We all have met women who change their "type" more often then their bra and Hollywood /media does have a larger influence on what women attract to than it does for men. You really think Kevin Bacon and Christian Slater , 2 weird looking guys for even Hollywood standards , would be heartthrobs if that wasn't rue? I mention those 2 because there have been articles back in the day explaining that phenomena.

o I say in return, sorry guys, women are hard-wired for guys that physically look like they can protect us and provide for us

Looking at the majority of guys most women are attracting to these days sends your "theory" out the door.
Perhaps it applies to you and your friends in Washington? The Northwest does give a stereotype of big lumberjacks and biker guys, which means women living in those areas might have a preference for them the same way cowboy hats are "hot" in Texas and New Mexico. In NYC a suited business man like Don Draper gets the chicks! Location, location, location.

P.s: I throw sand in the bears eyes ..does that count? lol
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 582
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2019 1:06:29 PM

I've gone out with guys who were only slightly taller than me, but they were still bigger than me because they were ripped.

I think that's a key that shorter guys need to realize. You can make up for being one of the shorter guys in the room by putting on some muscle that's noticeable. Size in another (good) direction. As long as you are at least a bit taller than she (in whatever shoes she wears vs yours). Problem though with short guys -- is they have "less room for error" when bulking up. A guy who's 6'3" has good room for error on doing so (but doesn't need to, to garner attraction as far as body's concerned).

Dunno. My grandfather was 6 "2" big bone

Yeah, but that's what HE told you. Did you ask your grandma if his claim was true? ;)

I used to have crushes on really short women. If they were 5 ft-5.1 I was smitten.

Ahhh, spinners. I think everyone likes spinners. May not be the flavor of the day every day, but it always will be a good flavor to basically every guy.

But the whole essence of Online dating is creating a math algorithm to set our searches.

Need no algorithm for me. I'll take any! ;)

Do you think your chances are still good if you have 35 hopefuls out of ten thousand?

If you can easily cum up with 35 Actual Hopefuls by a mere search, yes. The problem with "out of 10,000" is time spent sifting to find ~35. But if it can be done rather swiftly -- not a problem. Not a problem if they're Actual hopefuls -- not just merely finding them attractive enough.

The thing that I find interesting is that when women have physical preferences in men, men try to come up with "logical arguments" to get them to abandon those preferences.

I think it's more "Whoah, wait -- so now You're allowed to be all about physical attraction?" :)

On the other hand, women keep hearing that they have to just accept that men are "hard-wired" to go after youth and beauty because it signals fertility

I don't think it signals fertility. No more than "Look at the size of her chest! She'd be great at breast feeding a child I want to have!" as what the guy's thinking when staring a large-chested lady down, licking his chops. Youth in relation to older-age is attractive regardless; even without a hard-wired concept of wanting to breed underneath it all.

So I say in return, sorry guys, women are hard-wired for guys that physically look like they can protect us and provide for us

I don't think it's Quite like that. No, a woman doesn't want a guy who'd say "Sorry, I couldn't protect you for the life of me, and I can only provide you with a glass of water." Of course. A guy doesn't want a gal who can't provide for herself, and that he'd always have to protect like a 5 year old kid.

We like to think it's because of this-and-that. In reality, gals are by default, into Guys -- the expression of testosterone, which results in masculinity. They'll be bigger. Whether the gal is needy or not, fearful of danger or not. But we're also hard-wired to be shaped by a society -- where danger & being provided for may not mean as much. So the big brutish guy isn't going to carry as much weight in the female world in today's society than thousands of years ago. And also -- what other gals want, another's going to likely want -- due to social value that defines itself within. So it can get "high-schoolish" too -- but "high-schoolish" to some degree, is just being human. Because we're generally wired that way.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 583
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2019 10:50:07 PM

I assume you never read those profiles from women that have an overweight women exclaiming how "REAL MEN love curves". If you can show me a mans profile that says something similar I will give you 10 dollars!(oh gee a whole 10 dollars).

Dude, I get messages from guys with similar memes about liking bigger women all the time.
Some men's profile headlines say "BBW/Thick ONLY" and similar.

I belong to a site for bigger people, and have gotten as much as fifty-something messages in a day there.

Shall I take some profile screen shots from POF for you?

Do I get ten bucks per shot?
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 584
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2019 11:55:32 PM
No sorry the idea of the dare was to show profiles where someone tries to tell someone they should change their preference. I know lots of men like BBW. But a women trying to say a man must like them to be a Real man is a form of manipulation. It would be like a man writing a profile saying real women will date a guy without teeth,etc.
 FFS38
Msg: 585
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 3:15:18 AM

No sorry the idea of the dare was to show profiles where someone tries to tell someone they should change their preference. I know lots of men like BBW. But a women trying to say a man must like them to be a Real man is a form of manipulation. It would be like a man writing a profile saying real women will date a guy without teeth, etc.

Haha, or REAL women will only date a guy who's not blessed in the looks department, has no job, no car, and is only after one thing etc etc.
You might be onto something there!
Posted: 5/12/2019 3:47:21 AM

No sorry the idea of the dare was to show profiles where someone tries to tell someone they should change their preference. I know lots of men like BBW. But a women trying to say a man must like them to be a Real man is a form of manipulation. It would be like a man writing a profile saying real women will date a guy without teeth,etc.

The attempts at manipulation have been going on for quite some time. I've seen the "real men love women with curves" type memes floating around social media for years. I say let them whine, though. Does anyone actually believe a man who is truly a man would be susceptible to caving in to guilt trips and dating bigger women he's not attracted to?? Come on.
 FFS38
Msg: 587
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 4:08:58 AM

Does anyone actually believe a man who is truly a man would be susceptible to caving in to guilt trips and dating bigger women he's not attracted to?? Come on.

If you'd exchanged the word dating with the word banging then I'd say that would depend on how many beers he'd had. Not me personally but I see it happen.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 588
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 10:12:29 AM
I did recently see one meme posted on a guy's profile that I actually agree with. This one:

https://me.me/i/all-women-need-to-read-this-when-a-man-is-12095454
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 589
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 12:50:22 PM

there are no sable tooth tigers running around anymore

It's SABER toothed tigers, not "sable".

A tiger with sable hanging from its upper jaw would be much less of a problem for a guy who's not Andre the Giant:

"The sable (Martes zibellina) is a species of marten, a small carnivorous mammal primarily inhabiting the forest environments of Russia Historically, it has been hunted for its highly valued dark brown or black fur,"

-Wikipedia

women are hard-wired for guys that physically look like they can protect us and provide for us (signaled by height and strength/muscles), even though we know that there are no sable tooth tigers running around anymore or mammoths to hunt. Logical or not, attraction is what it is.

If the reason for the hard-wiring no longer exists, it's time to call in an electrician for some RE-wiring.
Posted: 5/12/2019 1:39:30 PM

I did recently see one meme posted on a guy's profile that I actually agree with. This one:

This 1950s mentality means nothing in the year 2019. I hope someone puts a bullet in me the day I feel I have to post ass kissing memes like this to get a woman's attention.
 2ufo
Msg: 591
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 2:12:50 PM

A tiger with sable hanging from its upper jaw would be much less of a problem for a guy who's not Andre the Giant:

"The sable (Martes zibellina) is a species of marten, a small carnivorous mammal primarily inhabiting the forest environments of Russia Historically, it has been hunted for its highly valued dark brown or black fur,"

Nonsense. A sable is a large (500 pound) antelope. And a saber tooth tiger with one of those hanging out of its mouth is probably quite attractive. To a female saber tooth tiger.

Not to mention that those Russian sables have lots of sharp teeth as well.

women are hard-wired for guys that physically look like they can protect us and provide for us (signaled by height and strength/muscles), even though we know that there are no sable tooth tigers running around anymore or mammoths to hunt. Logical or not, attraction is what it is.

I'm not sure it's hard-wired into our brains.
Otherwise NO man who doesn't look tall/muscular would EVER have a date. Or wife. Or kids to pass on those non-tall, non-muscular genes... and there would be no non-perfect guys complaining on the forums about a lack of dates.

Almost everyone is perfect for someone -- some people just have a greater pool of choices due to their genetics and activities which enhance those characteristics. Some people may be 'hard-wired' to believe that they won't settle for anyone who doesn't pass their 100-point checklist of perfection. Other people simply toss that list into the trash. My hard-wired criteria would be intelligence, integrity, and kindness. Everything else is negotiable.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 592
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 7:58:40 PM

I'm not sure it's hard-wired into our brains.
Otherwise NO man who doesn't look tall/muscular would EVER have a date.

I merely think what's "hard wired" in the heterosexual female is being attracted to the by-products of testosterone in another human. Which, I agree -- produces taller, more muscular individuals. But it doesn't mean one wouldn't get a date if they weren't on the high end of that "stick". It's the direction of where attraction goes. Men are attracted to women with above average breasts, and curves in the Right places. It doesn't mean a flat-chested woman can't get a date.

Also, what we're attracted to can change thru time, from experiences (or lack thereof). I will have a higher level of attraction, ie motive, to a gal who symbolizes the type of gal I can more easily get. Which isn't going to be a model. But with positive association in life experiences, it draws me in more. I think that's why we see some guys specifically want gals who are leaning on the BBW side. Less drama for them to 'catch' one, doesn't seem like an uphill battle -- and positive associations locked in successes with them.

Problems with this:

When a man is truly interested in you, there will be no need for you to do the pursuing. Men are born to pursue women.

Women are also born to pursue things they like. I think it's much more how we're raised in society, more of a self-fulfilling prophecy, that guys are to do the pursuing. Much the same as the shame in women fooling around with too many men (but not so much the other way around).

What this should say is: When a guy who you've initially been acquainted with is truly interested in you, he won't LACK pursuing you. There will be no need for you to do the sole pursuing. Same advice for MEN, too. If you have to always do all or the vast majority of the pursuing after you've gotten acquainted with her (exchanged #s) -- she's not that into you.
 _Cinnamon__Girl_
Msg: 593
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 11:55:03 PM

What this should say is: When a guy who you've initially been acquainted with is truly interested in you, he won't LACK pursuing you. There will be no need for you to do the sole pursuing. Same advice for MEN, too. If you have to always do all or the vast majority of the pursuing after you've gotten acquainted with her (exchanged #s) -- she's not that into you.

Exactly, norwegianguy.
We agree on this one!

I did not at all see it as telling men they should kiss women's asses, as POYD did.

I saw it as telling women not to be thirsty, and make fools of themselves.
 SomeWhereInTheStratosfere
Msg: 594
Posted: 5/13/2019 5:41:41 AM

Exactly, norwegianguy.
We agree on this one!

I did not at all see it as telling men they should kiss women's asses, as POYD did.

I agree too, Cinnamon and Norwegian. I will say this again, "interested men, act interested.
Posted: 5/13/2019 6:31:22 AM

That's not what I said. The ass kissing came by way of the fact a man was compelled to post that meme as a profile picture. Was he so worried he couldn't get over on his own merits that he had to resort to pandering in an attempt to earn brownie points?

Speaking of thirsty, the adage of "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink" comes to mind. All the advice in the world is futile once a woman has reached the point of obsession with a man who presents a challenge.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 596
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2019 7:44:49 AM

I can see a difference between being thirsty and being desperate.
I don't see going after someone I'm interested in as making a fool of myself.
I don't understand why "making a fool" of oneself is gender oriented, and
I don't think the fear of rejection should make one a hostage.

I stopped worrying about what others think and it's a pretty good feeling actually.
 julystorm22
Msg: 597
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2019 8:18:52 AM
I do not see the point of chasing. I have never ever chased. If I read even the subtlest sign that someone isn't into me I move on. However, there have been a few instances where guys have given me mixed signals. When I have no idea what he's thinking I fish for clues to answers of questions I have in my head which I am not brave enough to actually ask directly. But those times I suspect either he isn't completely into me or he is but doesn't want to show his hand. And because I'm guarded and won't give up any vulnerability to showing my true feelings I wonder if he actually thinks I'm not into him...overthinking is definitely my downfall. It was like a standoff, neither one of us saying anything and both of us withdrawing with me feeling heartbroken cause I was into him but couldn't let him know. If I'm to ever have success at this game I need to risk myself more by telling someone how I feel. I've only ever done that once in my life though. And my rejections should toughen me up a bit more hopefully rather than make me fortify my wall more. So maybe in fact a little chasing is good to do. Cause who knows if he is trying to play the game too.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 598
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2019 10:15:25 AM

Nonsense. A sable is a large (500 pound) antelope

Do they make expensive fur coats out of those too?
 Lindatasy
Msg: 599
Posted: 5/13/2019 11:17:17 AM
Sabre, sable, blame it on auto correct. Im sure you got the point.

I have to agree with the "BBW" only profiles, I 've seen quite a few of those lately too. There are always exception to every rule. All I can say is that I have dated guys that were not much taller than me, but they had amazing physiques, big arms and chests, and I felt very "safe" with them. I also don't particularly like tall guys that are super skinny. I want some muscle, not body-builder freakishly big, but some biceps and chest and sturdy legs.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 600
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2019 11:57:22 AM

I'm glad we agree on what it 'should' say. But it was in a sense telling women that men are to have to kiss your a$$ in some way, otherwise he's not interested.

My 'correction' on it, is that pursuing is a 2-way street. The quote you put up there was about it being a 1-way street -- and that men do it, you as a lady shouldn't have to do it one iota. That -- I highly disagree with. Once the ball starts rolling, it takes two to tango. Unfortunately, that quote basically told the ladies that all the weight's on the guy.

I do not see the point of chasing. I have never ever chased.

Depends on the context of "chasing". There's everything from stalker-chasing to being into someone emotionally chasing someone -- where you'll be prompt to respond to their texts, initiate something once in a while to keep the new fire going, etc. We don't think of this as "chasing" so much as being into them. But we chase down the ideas on what to do next with them -- and don't sit on the sidelines waiting for them to say & do everything or most everything.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them