Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oldwxman
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Women always wanting men quite taller than themPage 7 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Just wondering... Could it be that the older women get, the shorter available men get? Older women have told me that all of the available men are poor. There is a certain amount of logic to that. If men with money find it easier to pair up, after enough years pass the only men left will be broke. Maybe as time goes by, shrimps accumulate too.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Women always wanting men quite taller than them
Posted: 3/9/2019 8:02:38 AM

Men your age tend to prefer women half their age and slender. They delude themselves into believing that their average existence entitles them to the pick of the litter.

Some women prefer men with stable availability, more money (especially at your age), in better shape and yes, tallers and who who wants monogamy.

So... above average availability, income, fitness, taller AND monogamous is just a "preference" and not a delusion unto itself?
How the hell can you even justify that after what you just said about guys?
Apparently leaving age out of the picture means it's OK.

Realize the smell of what you are shoveling in here, folks. Everyone in here SHOULD be cut down for having this attitude. Wanting better does not mean you deserve it, and never will. Calling it a different name when talking about another person doesn't make you something special or exceptional - it means you are denying your own faults and forcing them on others -- which I believe is what a sociopath does.

Well it depends. I think she might have meant a guy has to have "some of those things" above average if they want those characteristics that are above average in a women. But I digress, because a "thin" women is the average in most of the world and I think average overall. It is only mainly in the Anglosphere where women(and guys are biggish). When they did studies showing that men and women were almost identical in looks who attract they were actually going by body frame mostly(ectomorph to ectomorph)since facial features are more subjective and since in most cultures that are not diverse(most of the world) people are more similar. In china for example, there are 500 million slim women and 500 slim Chinese guys who are dating each other. Same thing in Korea and same thing in Eastern and Southern Europe including France. The MORE north you go on the continent the more diverse the range(bigger and fatter also) and this this is where the preferences become more selective. Incidentally age differences are also more common worldwide. A 15 yr age difference doesn't bat an eyelash in any of the locations mentioned. I believe Malcolm X had an equation for this!!!!

Actually , EVERYONE deserves the pursuit of what they want. The question if you are going to get it depends on many factors. Location,timing, and LUCK /KARMA is a big factor!

@SweetDanimal: what is it with your last paragraph? Are you actually seeking? You might not realize it but that paragraph, IMHO, is kind of negative and if you understood women pysch you would delete it immediately.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2019 11:34:21 AM

Men your age tend to prefer women half their age and slender. They delude themselves into believing that their average existence entitles them to the pick of the litter.

Some women prefer men with stable availability, more money (especially at your age), in better shape and yes, tallers and who who wants monogamy.

I don’t see your point, as I’ve seen overweight and low-income women with tall men. A woman doesn’t have to be above average to get a tall man, so why should a man have to be above average to get a slender or younger woman?
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2019 12:34:51 PM

I don’t see your point, as I’ve seen overweight and low-income women with tall men. A woman doesn’t have to be above average to get a tall man, so why should a man have to be above average to get a slender or younger woman?

Actually , I have an answer for you, one you will not like. In the Anglosphere, plus Germany, women these days date up. You can see with your own eyes. Reasons contributing is 1) thirsty desperate men 2) feminism and diversity(more attention from 3rd world immigrants)...taking advantage and exploiting of thirsty desperate men 3) large % of average and below females who don't have to do much to attract thirsty desperate men. In other words , the REAL reason is the behavior of thirsty desperate men! Online dating compounds this effect due to large % of thirsty desperate men..LOL.
The dating scene is different in Italy, Greece and Spain and Eastern Europe plus France. The more macho countries which have less desperate thirsty men. Exception might be Italy where they are able get hot gals but desperate for sex with anyone.

Conclusion: supply and demand! Why don't you move to Montreal, after NYC it has the second largest % population of hot women in North America. Due to that your own desirability will increase!

Incidentally, Roosh V , who you Canadians hate, said the same thing in his interviews with the Media. But your free to pursue who you like.
 fashionchic
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2019 3:32:21 PM

Those 2 words are not synonymous.
"Preference" is first choice, implying another choice is possible.
"Requirement" is the only choice, nothing else acceptable. (see the example above)

Being tall can be a plus or a mild preference. But I wouldn't rule out dating a man just because of his height. A shorter man can have many other qualities that would make him appealing. Attractive face and body, great personality etc.
 julystorm22
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 5:35:11 AM
I once had a huge crush on a short guy. He was a couple inches shorter but so funny and cute too. I remember Grade 11 gym class I could not concentrate on class because I was always so aware of him and in la-la land.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 11:04:27 PM
Taller, shorter, fatter, etc., LOL. Tried OLD for about 3 years.

When I started OLD, I tried to use the search criteria to "build a bear" and quickly learned that wasn't going to work. Too few matches came up, and the ones that did were not at all interested in me. Gradually I came to understand I should be searching for someone who would actually communicate with me.

I got some dates. About half of the men I met were dishonest in some way, height, health, whatever.

I had a few dry spells. Once I decided in a dry spell to search for overweight men, thinking I'm a few pounds over, maybe they would be more likely to respond to me. That didn't work. Men who were grossly obese didn't want to meet me, maybe because they still thought they deserved a thinner woman. Or maybe I didn't appeal for some other reason. But not one of those men wanted to meet me.

I also tried the same thing with short men. In both efforts I looked for someone that had things in common with me. None of the short men wanted to meet me, and I'm 5'4".

I do prefer tall men, and in my brief initial build a bear phase, used that in my search criteria. But never mentioned the preference in my profile,and never went back to using it in my search criteria.

I had the most luck, and the most fun when I decided to meet any man who was polite and respectful.

I started OLD when I was 64 years old, I'm average looking, not photogenic, and overweight. If that wasn't enough, I had a developmentally disabled daughter still living with me. She was well over 18, but needed to be cared for like a small child. I couldn't leave her alone at all. But I got dates despite all that. Not a lot of dates, but several.

I've been with my current BF 3 years now. He asked me to marry him, but if we got married his Social Security would be taxable, so we didn't do it.

To people who don't get any dates, I am not sure what you're doing wrong. If I could get dates, old, fat, child still at home, anyone could.

I don't say that to be mean or insulting, it's really more to encourage you. Don't give up! Hawking, you're not too old. Kids? So what. If I met someone and after a couple of dates & wanted to invite them over, I'd tell them to come after I put my daughter to bed.

Be more open, cast a wider net, keep trying.
 cooldog65
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 11:37:18 PM

Just wondering... Could it be that the older women get, the shorter available men get?

We're all getting shorter as we're getting older...
 browneyesboo
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2019 6:52:12 AM

We're all getting shorter as we're getting older

Yeah, but some of us get hotter and cooler!
I'm looking at you Mr. Cooldog!
 julystorm22
Msg: 160
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2019 8:48:31 AM
I have found that I get dates when I want them if I am willing to overlook something not on my want list. I've gone out a few times in the last year hoping a guy I wasn't super interested in turned out to be a keeper for me and I think if there were more guys in my area I would stumble upon one that I liked eventually. I'm not gonna look online for anyone till the summer though. I figure 6 months from now there will be a bunch of new guys on the shelf again so that the search gets fun again. Right now I think there's only a couple new guys in my area each week. Strangely enough, what I've noticed is there are way more women who sign up to pof in my locale each week than men. 90% of the men tend to be on here forever but most women are only on here a short while. And the 90% of the guys on here have either not been interested (because I have kids mostly) or I've tried at some point to have a convo with but I didn't like them.
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2019 9:17:42 AM
I think the older we get, I'm thinking ~50+, the more we gotta come to terms with "settling" on physical attributes lol. I mean, we look in the mirror and we ain't so hot to look at anymore, either!

John Mellencamp said it best, "Life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone" Or something like that.

And folks who don't settle....stay single a looooooooong time, or forever.

For <50, there's still hope..so don't give up. lol
 cooldog65
Msg: 162
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2019 9:46:58 AM

Yeah, but some of us get hotter and cooler!

I've gotten cooler, so far...

I'm looking at you Mr. Cooldog!

Blushing...
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2019 11:31:42 AM

Its population at the 2016 census was 4,562, making it Saskatchewan's smallest city.

Good 'ol Melville, where the virgins flow like wine... ;)

I've gone out a few times in the last year hoping a guy I wasn't super interested in turned out to be a keeper for me

That's an odd mentality to have. I think you're suffering from being-in-LTR-by-itself=accomplishment+good. That said though, given your situation living with mom and juggling the 3 kids -- I can understand why that would have a gravitational pull by itself.

Strangely enough, what I've noticed is there are way more women who sign up to pof in my locale each week than men.

Funny thing is though, you aren't in position to know how many women signed up. :) Who shows up in searches is dependent on your profile -- which narrows it based on some criteria.

Up until a couple years ago or so -- I found out a way to search objectively. You go to advanced search page, but click the logout button to spawn in another browser tab. You're still at the advanced search, and you can search -- nothing will hold you back by your locale, gender, age, etc. Can't do that anymore. But in mid-sized cities it was usually about a 2.5-to-1 ratio of guys-to-girls, and in small towns it was even bigger for dudes... although I wouldn't be shocked in a super-small town with a small radius, you could find one pretty empty where the ratio wasn't so lopsided.

Point being tho -- I wouldn't bank on there being more chicks than dudes. :)

90% of the men tend to be on here forever but most women are only on here a short while.

I think that's why when I bring up the 2.5-to-1 ratio of way more guys than gals -- some refute it by saying the # of profiles made was much closer. Which may be true. But in reality, who cares about profiles made in 2007 and last used in 2010, right? One should just count the # who've been online in the last 24 hours to get a real grasp of guy-to-girl activity measurement. I agree -- gals tend to step in the shallow end of the pool and hop out, while guys camp out in the pool. :)
 julystorm22
Msg: 164
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2019 11:54:00 PM
Great news, I mentioned it before on here but I will say again--I no longer live with my mom. I moved into a house at the beginning of February. So that's looking up. And I am now mostly debt free thanks to getting a huge tax return back. I just have my minivan loan and loan to my mom, and the loan to my mom will be paid off within a year so at that point I will be able to start saving for a mortgage.

I am not clingy. Actually, I mostly am the opposite of clingy which is a problem in itself. I think I keep this invisible shield over myself and I try so hard to hide my feelings from guys that I come across as aloof. I'm afraid of being vulnerable. I'm so afraid of rejection that I won't go for guys I know I will actually like. And unfortunately, I really want a relationship so I'm doomed if I can't learn to be brave. I think 9 years of getting put down, belittled, name-called and yelled at by a man kind of damaged me and made me afraid. Really trying to get over it. I don't want my fears and lack of self-esteem prevent me from happiness. I think me sleeping with a few guys off of pof was a way to get my feet wet.

I actually made a profile a year ago posing as a guy. I know, not good. But I was curious about what girls were on pof and that was the easiest way. Periodically I log back in on that account and there are always messages in that inbox from women offering sex for money or gift cards.
Posted: 3/12/2019 5:09:35 AM

I think 9 years of getting put down, belittled, name-called and yelled at by a man kind of damaged me and made me afraid.

Who allowed this to happen and go on? Funny, when you extricate yourself from the situation, they can no longer do this.
You really are NOT a hapless victim.

offering sex for money or gift cards.

LOL gift cards, eh? I wonder how that works. Would you mind paying me in Home Depot cards, honey?. I need to remodel my kitchen.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2019 6:19:39 AM

I think 9 years of getting put down, belittled, name-called and yelled at by a man kind of damaged me and made me afraid. Really trying to get over it. I don't want my fears and lack of self-esteem prevent me from happiness. I think me sleeping with a few guys off of pof was a way to get my feet wet.

Don't keep beating yourself up about this relationship. It wasn't a good one, you stayed in it way too long, but you're out now.
Start looking forward. There are many reasons woman stay in abusive (either mental or physical) relationships, and unless one
has been there, they have no understanding of it. It takes a strong person to decide to change and get out, and since you know you're
a strong person, build on that.

Congratulations on your new home! Concentrate on building yourself up and stop worrying about a relationship right now. I know
you want one, but you don't need one to be happy. You need to get your confidence back and your feeling of independence.

Stop being so pitiful, seriously. You've got a lot going for you.
 julystorm22
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2019 7:42:53 AM
I do. And sorry for acting pitiful, don't mean to, honestly. I am just reading all these posts short men can't find women and I can see that the problem isn't the women, its them and their poor self-image and how they keep saying its cause they're this or they're that they can't get dates. And I find myself falling into that same trap of self-pity and poor self-image. People of less desirable physical qualities find love and happiness every day. And what I've noticed is that when I've tried to date these guys with less desirable physical qualities it is usually not those things which turn me off but its a poor presenting image or problems with their character. Guys who use racist language constantly, who f-bomb constantly, who talk about how other women were the problem, who complain too much, who lack communication skills, etc. Because bottom line, it is what's on the inside that counts and can build attraction. When life gives you lemonade (less than good looks), a person needs to make lemonade by adding sugar (work on their presenting character). And unfortunately, a lot of people are clueless about their presenting selves and those character flaws that flow out of them tend to get more pronounced over time.

I know we always tell people that they need to be themselves and I think the problem with saying that is that some people really do need to change if they want to be happy. We can look at ourselves and find our good qualities and keep those but at the same time we need to try and realize our bad qualities and figure out ways to improve. Self-reflection, self-improvement, present ourselves better to ourselves and to others.
 Inicia
Msg: 168
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2019 8:45:54 AM

LOL gift cards, eh? I wonder how that works. Would you mind paying me in Home Depot cards, honey?. I need to remodel my kitchen.
lol i' m in, sex and remodel money, wow can't beat that with a stick! despite the legalities-or does it actually cover the monetary exchange problem??? one way to dodge prostitution charges?? hmmm? there might be a market, for a nonsense talking, confrontational, incontinent granny ? just a very specific niche!? lol
 julystorm22
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2019 9:52:25 AM
7 different messages asking for gift cards. One woman told me in very few words that she had F-sized boobs and would let me bang her in return for a $75 Walmart gift card and she needed the money to pay for her kid's piano lessons. Another woman said she'd let me have her for 3 hours if I gave her a new playstation because she needed it for a Christmas gift for her son.

I looked it up and apparently women ask for gift cards cause then they can't get charged with soliciting and the guy can't be charged with buying sex because actual cash isn't exchanged.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2019 9:56:58 AM
Ms. July,
I don't think POF is a barometer for what is available, at least in my area.
I know you live in a smaller city and your prospects are probably smaller (no pun intended...hahaha!),
but I do agree with you about presenting a poor image.

It is difficult to get a list checked off and it usually means compromising one thing to gain another.
I've found people in general, especially with the political atmosphere around here, to be really off putting.
It's difficult to find someone you can talk to without getting exasperated. Unfortunately, you'll find the older you
get, the more difficult it is because people are having experiences, dealing with issues and coming out of environments
where they are less apt to compromise in the future. Think of yourself as an example. Your spidey senses are on the look
out for anything at all resembling your ex...you might not know exactly what you'll "settle" for, but you do know what
you'll not tolerate (hopefully.)

Anyways, you're young, you're attractive, you're very well spoken and articulate...give yourself some credit and start
telling yourself that. Reach the point where you know your worth and expect others to be worthy of you...not the other
way around.

And frankly, the f-bomb comes in handy. "Behold the field in which I grow my ****s to give. Cast thine eyes upon it and you
shall see that it is barren". Stop worrying about what others (especially in here) think of you. Be someone your children
can be proud of and look up to...they are the only ones you need impress.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2019 9:59:20 AM

I no longer live with my mom. I moved into a house at the beginning of February. So that's looking up.

That's great! Hopefully it was done in a timely manner (not haste) to be able to handle it indefinitely without any real worry. A loan to your mom for a minivan isn't bad, because it's your mom -- and just for a year, that ain't no thing. As far as mortgages are concerned -- like being in a relationship, owning a house by mortgage (loan/rent) by itself isn't necessarily better. Depends where you can rent from VS buy-by-law-but-still-renting-from-bank. And what Canadian law allows in terms of mortgage tax write-offs, etc -- and how long you'd Definitely Stay, and the area you're in, whether it's growing or dissipating (the latter's house price won't be going up so much).

I am not clingy. Actually, I mostly am the opposite of clingy which is a problem in itself.

I don't think you're clingy, but like a clingy person though, you can get overly worked up about the other person liking you. That "ingredient" has been the staple of your issues due to your past horrible LTR.

I really want a relationship so I'm doomed if I can't learn to be brave.

I understand. You want to prove to yourself, that feeling of relief, that you are Wanted -- and not just as friends, or for a short-term Spring Fling. And at the same time you don't want to get hurt -- you're vulnerable (hence, not actually clingy either).

I think me sleeping with a few guys off of pof was a way to get my feet wet.

Among other things. ;) But I agree, experiencing the dating scene, even if in the uber-casual realm, is better than nothing. If you're not conditioned that sex-without-romance-under-the-stars is emotionally harmful -- then it's a good thing to get some batting practice in. Notably while you were still living with your mom and lining things up.

I actually made a profile a year ago posing as a guy. I know, not good. But I was curious about what girls were on pof and that was the easiest way.

That is a good way. Problem is, POF is littered with Spam now. POF isn't on the up-and-up preventing robotic spam from infiltrating to hit up dudes.
 ken333
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2019 11:16:58 AM
I am 6'3" or 190cm in Australian, I can tell you that most women don't really care if the guy is tall. I've noticed when I dated women that bring it up, they'll keep saying things like "oh I love a guy who's tall", they are usually stuck up. I never get a long with them so it doesn't last long anyway. The women that don't mention it or seem to not care about height, are much more down to earth and respectful.

If you're 5'7" just try not to think about it, if she gives you crap about not being tall then you don't want her anyway. A tall guy wouldn't want her either, so don't worry about being in competition with taller dudes.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2019 2:55:59 PM

I am 6'3" or 190cm in Australian, I can tell you that most women don't really care if the guy is tall.

No offense - people of all heights should be allowed to put their comments in -- but a guy over six feet tall saying that height is no big deal is kind of like a guy who takes a helicopter to work saying that rush hour traffic is no big deal. If you are not being discriminated BY it, you really won't see it as a problem.

I agree that women who make too many public comments about a guys' appearance tend to be a bit conceited themselves, but that's true at any height.

The 'tell' with height being an issue can usually be found on these online sites by lying about it. Fib on the high side, and the number of views and hits and messages to a profile definitely increases. Change it to a below-average number, and you're nearly invisible. Changing Body Type from Athletic to BBW has pretty much the same effect for women. It's the mechanical separation happening based on pre-set preferences in these dating sites, not based on real life encounters or any 'true' preferences someone may have.

Taller, more athletic, more attractive people usually tend to complain about "Quality" in online dating - because they GET attention, GET to meet people, GET to make attempts and succeed or fail. People sorted 'out' by these check boxes online don't even get the chance to TRY quality -- because there is NO quantity. THAT is how decisive that one little check box becomes.

People always like to rip on the current photos or text or anything displeasing in the current profile, arguing that there is a hundred other things that can hook someone's attention. This is true. But try changing One Little Thing, and see what happens. Ladies' height may not be the check box that matters, but it may be Age or Body Type. Guys can click stuff on and off - income, religion, hobbies -- a lot of what changes is barely measurable. Height (and maybe kids or not) are the big things that set women on their search path. Try it.
 PieAlaMojo
Msg: 174
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2019 3:40:49 PM
Oh Dan... you're really hung up on this height thing, aren't ya?
Being that you are soo short, how in the world did you manage to find a woman to marry you and stick around for over ten years?
Another curious question I have...
You have your age settings at 12 years younger and only 8 years older.
Isn't that discrimination? Oh wait, it's just a preference... right?
 Inicia
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2019 3:45:50 PM
-12:+8 way better than-25:-5 or -10 lol dan's preferences would pass my scrutiny-well aware that is no great reward lol
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them