Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Women always wanting men quite taller than themPage 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

In the sense that we all have a chance to make a profile - yes, we do share the same opportunity - in the sense that people will respond to it -- that's a different story.

True but the opportunity is that out of the thousands of women viewing said profile, some might be into you.
That being said, as I said before, your profile is probably a turn off to many women , and it isn't your looks. You seem to think it is COOL to ignore that fact. I am being dead honest. Instead of ignoring the arrogant NYer(he once referred to NYers as Arrogant.which is true lol) ). Your literally coming across as if you are trying to preach women on how they should behave. That is a turnoff to them and instead you blame height? Get real.

Hawking n the other hand has legit concerns.

"you can lead a horse to water but......."
 julystorm22
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Women always wanting men quite taller than them
Posted: 3/14/2019 6:55:08 AM
I live in a place chalk full of people of Ukrainian, Polish, German and Scandinavian heritage so I would say that well over a half of men are over 6 feet but what frustrates me is that of the men who contact me locally, most are shorter than me (I get a lot of interest from guys that are 5'7). The tall guys that do message me live a couple hours away or more and I can't date anyone who lives over an hour away. I will be honest, when a guy who is 5 feet 10 or more messages me, as long as his pics are passable, I message him back. If he's shorter, he has to have a pretty good profile for me to message him. If he's below 5'7, I won't message him no matter the good profile. Keep in mind I'm 5'8.5 so I'm not being too fussy I think.
 spot4username
Msg: 203
view profile
History
I'm just a short girl in a tall world
Posted: 3/14/2019 7:27:57 AM
There is not this much whine in all of France nor is there enough cheese to go with it.

Chalk full? Moving on...

A guy asked me out last night. I said yes. I have no idea how tall he is. He is taller than me. Perhaps I will make a reason for us to go to a convenience store so that I can check his height on the markers they have on the doors. Apparently his height is very important. If he is below a certain height what should I do? Is there some sort of policy and procedure I need to follow? I am not well versed in this sort of thing as it has never been important to me. I have clearly been dating incorrectly all these years. *shakes fist*
 ken333
Msg: 204
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2019 7:33:25 AM

Sorry but I don't think the tall guys are having any better luck in the number of online responses.

If you're talking about guys over 6'4" -- I would agree it sharply levels out with shorter guys (with non-tall gals). But guys generally tall (6'0" - 6'4") -- of course they do. OKC stats have shown this, so has common sense. By a Landslide.

I don't know where you're getting these stats but I disagree. If we do get more online responses it's not very much more. And those extra responses are all from ones we don't want. Like the golddiggers, attention whores, anything superficial, those are the ones that demand height.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 205
view profile
History
measuring up
Posted: 3/14/2019 8:08:58 AM
"I have no idea how tall he is."
"He is taller than me."

>>>maybe that was tall enough :) this reminds me when i was at a wedding, and a lady at our table couldn't get her bf to dance with her (he said bad back, but i knew the guy longer than she did--he was always lame :) ) so she grabbed me..and immediately noticed the height diff. tossed off her shoes, problem solved.

ah well, as long as the shoe size is good enough, lol. at least i learned something new today, when a lass takes me to a convenience store, she's not buying condoms in hope, she's checking my size against the thief tape on the doorframe. good to know.
 julystorm22
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2019 8:10:55 AM

A guy asked me out last night. I said yes. I have no idea how tall he is. He is taller than me.

He is still taller than you though. If he was shorter you likely would have notice though...

I think IRL women don't care too much about height as long as he's taller. I sometimes wonder though if men just like shorter women IRL.
 spot4username
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2019 8:20:27 AM

He is still taller than you though. If he was shorter you likely would have notice though...

We weren't barefoot. I was in quite high heels. Perhaps he is not *tall enough* Oh dear. What to do? /wrings hands/

I sometimes wonder though if men just like shorter women IRL

People like what they like.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2019 10:14:15 AM

For a front tooth, many women do give a damn to say the least -- but yes, it doesn't mean you're dateless. But then again, that's a conceptual different subject. One can be "woe is me, what do I do? I don't know!" The other is, "Yeah, I'm short. But you know what gets me? Girls say X, but in reality, Y happens, but they don't admit it."

Many Women do care. That's a fact. But I don't need many Women. Just one :)

You have to take into account a missing tooth is small potatoes compared to people having IBS, Crohn's, and all other sorts of things going on with their bodies. It's amazing how people act when they have their health compared to when it starts to fail them. Their outlook changes quickly and at some of our ages health is a blessing. Touch wood I keep my health, and I have no problem dating a women with health issues.

If they are child like mentally. I draw the line there.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2019 10:41:04 AM
msg#206:
I sometimes wonder though if men just like shorter women IRL.

You could be right. We have cute little hands and cute little feet and cute little bodies---we're so neat!

j/k

(Smile)
 browneyesboo
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2019 11:41:07 AM
I'm wondering now if there is something to this height thing.
I've had 2 LTR in my life, one guy was 5'5 and the other
was 5'6. I'm mostly 5'4 so I just considered them my size...hahaha!

I can't see passing up someone nice just because they were short.
But I guess there's such an abundance of fish in the ocean, that's
what people are doing.

I've never thought there was a bunch of fish in the ocean...at least
not many that I'd want to catch. I don't like most people, so when
I find someone...ANYONE...I like...I tend to hang onto them.

I realized a couple of days ago that one of the customers at the store
asked me out Sunday night. I always say hello and babble to him when
he comes in, but I don't recognize the "what do you do after work" or
"what do you like to do for fun" questions as anything other than
questions. He mentioned coffee, so of course I said I hate coffee and
he stopped talking. He's pretty short though...so I'm prolly not missing
out on anything...hahaha!
 cooldog65
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2019 6:39:54 PM

I was in quite high heels.

Nice...

People like what they like.

Spot on as per usual. No cheese, no whine...
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 212
view profile
History
don't get short with us
Posted: 3/15/2019 9:06:17 AM
i know the whole "i don't know his exact size" bit was in jest, but still....we can look at someone in real life and decide they're too fat for us to want to see 'em nekkid, and not need to know their weight. we want what we want, and we can't always determine from a profile if we're going to waste our money on a date or not, so yes, some do judge by what they read.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 213
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2019 1:55:04 PM

I don't know where you're getting these stats but I disagree. If we do get more online responses it's not very much more.

They've been everywhere and common sense, and easily seen by observation. Height isn't everything, and nobody should claim it to be so. But it's not small deal. If I showed you stats on what gals say they want and who they end up with, would that change your mind? No, it wouldn't. I can't see how you think a guy being shorter than a gal wouldn't make a real difference, or a guy shorter than a vast majority of guys in the population wouldn't make much a difference. But I can understand if/when a guy's tall and he can't get the action in the dating scene he wants at all, he'd (erroneously) think otherwise.

I've had 2 LTR in my life, one guy was 5'5 and the other was 5'6. I'm mostly 5'4 so I just considered them my size...hahaha!

Online (strangers) -- assuming outside of height they're in the same 'league' & he's not otherwise some hunk + nobody's rich or super-popular/famous -- that's in the small (no pun intended) minority to have any real dating potential. Strangers IRL -- it's still a minority but more of a chance for the 5'4" gal to be open to a guy solidly short. Odds are better when they know each other already and outside of height issue, there would be some sparks anyway.

That said, it's not like I don't see guys who are 5'5"-5'7" (notably short; not just under the avg mark) not have any dates or gals. I think it's easier in environments like college -- and when I see younger guy-girl scenarios, I see the shorter guy with a gal where he only has an edge on height, more often. But when we get older, we rely on more blind-approaches (online or IRL) -- and that's where the "uphill" battle really sinks in for short guys. Online reveals this, hence, the argument more prevalent online.
 zonavar68
Msg: 214
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2019 4:15:15 PM
Nobody disputes that there are underlying reasons why women perceive taller men to be better. It translates to 'taller' being better in bed, better physical attributes, better in life, better job, better car, better house, better friends, better family, and more. Very Mills and Boon-ish.

A lot of people have trouble seeing being the outward appearance of someone perhaps because they have grown up in a situation where aspiration towards perfection is engendered as baseline human behaviour.

My most recent ex always used to tease me about being just shorter than her. 99 pct of the time I just ignored it but it ended up being a symptomatic indicator of her narcicism and almost psychopathic 'perfectionst tendencies' which exploded into complete hate and disregard as an 'equal human' when our baby daughter was born just over 18 months ago now and I was sidelined into a position of insignificance.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2019 5:03:07 PM

Nobody disputes that there are underlying reasons why women perceive taller men to be better. It translates to 'taller' being better in bed, better physical attributes, better in life, better job, better car, better house, better friends, better family, and more. Very Mills and Boon-ish.

A lot of people have trouble seeing being the outward appearance of someone perhaps because they have grown up in a situation where aspiration towards perfection is engendered as baseline human behaviour.

My most recent ex always used to tease me about being just shorter than her. 99 pct of the time I just ignored it but it ended up being a symptomatic indicator of her narcicism and almost psychopathic 'perfectionst tendencies' which exploded into complete hate and disregard as an 'equal human' when our baby daughter was born just over 18 months ago now and I was sidelined into a position of insignificance.

Perhaps correct. Forgetting PC nonsense and all, I suspect it is part evolutionary. Tall translates to DOMINANCE. Lets be honest, even among males this holds true. There is a reason cops are more intimidating high up in the saddle of a horse.Even when ordering people around, I found as long as someone was shorter than myself , there was less chance of resistance. Sure a 5" 4" guy might have a great right hook, but he won't generally intimidate anyone. That being said, among guys, I find 5"7" short compared to myself, but I never consider them to be short in general . 5'4" is different.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 216
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2019 6:08:07 PM

I suspect it is part evolutionary. Tall translates to DOMINANCE.

I don't think it really goes that far, although one's environment can call more upon that, yeah.

I think it's pretty common sense why a gal by default at least Strongly prefers a guy who's taller than she, nothing else being out of the ordinary. Much the same as a guy by default feeling off-base if a gal is notably taller than he flat-footed, nothing else about the two being out of the ordinary (nor for a mere pump-n-go). Or that a gal having broader shoulder structure than the guy.

Not a surprise men & women's baseline tastes reflect the basic default difference between men & women's physique. No mystery there.

But I think environmental/social conditioning can take it further. Like a 5'2" gal not wanting a guy under 5'11". Or a 5'8" gal not wanting a guy just 1-2 inches taller than she, even if his body structure is definitely more robust than hers. Just like Concepts people can end up being more picky about -- due to lack of self-esteem or other issues underneath it all from past experiences -- same can be said about body type.

That said, in the minority, it can go the other way. A 5'4" gal could end up having past experiences not great with a notably tall guy, and a good lasting experience with a guy who wasn't much taller than she -- and then, her pickiness about height is less than other gals (kind of reflecting having a 'short' dad).
 SS4544Spd
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 9:51:21 AM
Dan can correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I’ve read, I think most of Dan’s height complaints pertain to the fact that most OLD sites provide an easy flush handle for women to er, eliminate short men from any consideration at all. It’s a huge “You do not exist!” button they can push…that streamlines their search and saves time. But there is no corresponding flush button – reflecting a physical attribute - provided for men to flush women accordingly. Such as weight. Un PC? Maybe, but it would be fair. The only quantifable physical characteristic men can search women on, height, but how many men really care about a woman’s height? Men have nothing quantifiable, only nebulous considerations like, “a few extra pounds,” “athletic,” etc. etc.

And sure there are pics but everyone knows pics can be fudged many ways, so that remains subjective too, and you can’t filter on pictures. And so men have to sift at all these pictures, analyzing them, wasting time, instead of being able to flush based on weight, or some other physical attribute that matters to them.

For some reason I would surmise the PC pushback from women to any site that allowed weight filtering on would be fierce, fair enough, but then why is it fair or PC for short men to suffer the same?

I think adding weight (to both sexes) would be only fair. A guy who likes petite women could come in, and set his choice at “<130 pounds” (Or whateer he considers petite) and would save him a load of time, just like a woman filtering at “6’+”
 dragonbytes
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 10:30:16 AM
IMO the thread ignores the important position of men on this issue.

IMO very few men actually want a woman that is significantly taller than them. Even prince Charles at 5.10 had pictures where Princess Diana appeared to be 3 inches shorter than him, despite the fact she is the same height.

How many average height men date or are paired off with women a couple of inches taller?

I am the same height as hawking’s, 5.4, but I have the “advantage” if it is an advantage, of being white.

Personally, I am rarely attracted to women taller than myself. And it’s not like I don’t have significant experience with taller women, my first GF of 10 years was 2-3 inches taller than me.

I always suggest that the most correct analogy to height preferences in women is men’s age preferences. All things being equal, most men desire a younger woman. Like height, women can’t do anything about their age. Like height, there are a lot of products that claim to make a people, especially women, appear younger. Weight is variable, one can always gain or lose weight, it’s to a great degree under our control.
 spot4username
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 12:41:12 PM

For some reason I would surmise the PC pushback from women to any site that allowed weight filtering on would be fierce, fair enough, but then why is it fair or PC for short men to suffer the same?

I think adding weight (to both sexes) would be only fair.

Whenever I have had a "for dating" profile I always listed my height and weight in the body of the profile. I believe the labels (on all sites) are subjective. I figured if a guy liked what he saw and the stats were to his liking he could message me or would respond to my message. /shrug/
 julystorm22
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 1:19:35 PM
The bottom line is that there are so many things that we can filter for. Yes, height in men is one filter. Another big filter is women who have kids. Yet another is age. Another is "a few extra pounds". We all use the stats to filter people out. The big issue though is whether a person should eliminate some based on a certain stat.If, for example, a 42-year-old man only wants a woman ages 28 to 38 and he can't get a date based on these parameters, he either needs to change his filter to let in more women or he just needs to risk never dating and staying alone forever.
 ssm508
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 2:38:50 PM

I sometimes wonder though if men just like shorter women IRL.
Height has never been important to me. Offline or online. Most women will end up being much shorter than me. But I wouldn't turn down a physically attractive fit woman just because she is tall.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 2:53:10 PM

but how many men really care about a woman’s height?

I suspect that it's a much smaller percentage then the percentage of women who care about a man's height.

How many average height men date or are paired off with women a couple of inches taller?

That's because:

A) A lot of people, both men and women (but a smaller percentage of men), still cling to the antiquated notion that the man must be taller than the woman in any given pairing.
B) Some guys, knowing that such a sizable percentage of women discriminate on the basis of height, don't even bother approaching a woman who is taller than them, because they suspect that they will just receive another rejection.

Height has never been important to me. Offline or online.

Me either.
But it has been important to some of the women I have encountered over the years, online OR offline, when the subject has come up in any way.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 4:16:25 PM

I suspect that it's a much smaller percentage then the percentage of women who care about a man's height.

Men might not care so much about woman’s height, but they will care about her horizontal width and girth.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 224
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 4:22:01 PM
^^ A woman can lose weight. But they can rarely get rid of a rubbish personality.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 225
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 4:53:55 PM

I think most of Dan’s height complaints pertain to the fact that most OLD sites provide an easy flush handle for women to er, eliminate short men from any consideration at all. It’s a huge “You do not exist!” button they can push…that streamlines their search and saves time. But there is no corresponding flush button – reflecting a physical attribute - provided for men to flush women accordingly. Such as weight.

Au contraire. There is a corresponding flush button for men on here. You can still select body type in your search criteria. That does help get rid of most of us fat chicks. Most of those that slip thru because they've lied, you can weed out thru pictures. The point remains that men can use search filters as flush buttons to select height and body type (weight) too. It was on all the sites I've tired.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Women always wanting men quite taller than them