Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Depression and POF      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Depression and POFPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

clinical depression and just being depressed are not the same

That is exactly right! I suffer clinical depression and will probably take anti-depressants for the rest of my life unless something hormonal kicks in and I can get off them but I have been this way since my mid twenties and I accept it now. Sure I get depressed sometimes at life happenings, same as anyone but like John says, there are ways of coping with that and it doesn't usually last.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 2/24/2019 10:57:31 AM
You'll find no further posts on any threads other than 'Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?' As long as the thread exists anyway and even then I may make another along the same line of thinking providing I stay within the rules of POF.

Can't say I didn't enjoy the posts and the debates but so much of it is negative. I got caught up in it for awhile but am now moving forward, onward.

Best wishes to all.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 2/24/2019 12:24:32 PM

Can they be combined?'

Only an Admin could do that providing they had a thread merge tool. I'd just forget it.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 2/24/2019 8:21:56 PM

You'll find no further posts on any threads other than 'Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?'

I should have specified that you'll find no further posts on any threads.....FROM ME.
God bless.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 2/25/2019 1:04:19 PM
I've taken medication for it for years and many times, feeling much better due to the medication, I would stop and spiral back into depression.

Did you stop taking them more than once? I did once and the consequences were dire.

Keeping busy definitely helps but most business is an attempt to escape the feelings and side effects of depression.

I guess you didn't understand what I because that's what i meant. If you occupy your mind it can even vanquish the feelings and side effects of depression for short periods of time if you're concentrating enough. Do you think coming to the forums helped in some way to lift your depression?

I have been this way since my mid twenties and I accept it now.

Did you find it easier to deal with once you accepted that you may suffer it for the rest of your life? I did. I know asking you such things after your depression has lifted is rude but some people will talk about it when they're feeling good.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 2/25/2019 7:08:59 PM
Hi Rise.
For you I will answer.

Did you stop taking them more than once? I did once and the consequences were dire.

I take only anti-depressants, at the time I'm taking Wellbrutrin daily and anti-anxiety (Clonozapam) when I need it and not every day.
I've tried so many including Celexa, Prozac, Effexor, etc. They take about 4 to 6 to have any effect and it took about the same to be out of my system which is when the depression kicked in. Feelings of hopelessness, despair, lethargy, fatigue, irritibility, thoughts of death and a lot of crying. This happened, oh maybe 7 or 8 times and I finally clued in that I needed them. I had a wonderful family doctor.

Do you think coming to the forums helped in some way to lift your depression?

I actually think it did. It took my mind away for hours, made me tired and expecially realize that negativity produces only negativity.

Did you find it easier to deal with once you accepted that you may suffer it for the rest of your life? I did. I know asking you such things after your depression has lifted is rude but some people will talk about it when they're feeling good.

Once I realized that medication was necessary for me, it didn't bother me anymore. I was just a fact. I have a feeling though when I finish menopause and hormone production slows down, that things might be different. I would definitely give it a try without it. For me the worst that can happen is that I suffer increased depression for a short time.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have further questions.
Best wishes.
 PennyAnte
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/2/2019 7:29:06 AM
Hi Shirley,
I found out on January 3, 2019 that I have small cell lung cancer and the prognosis was 2-6 months without treatment. I started chemotherapy to try to prolong my life on January 29th. I have completed 2 rounds of chemo and will go back again to fight in March with more chemo.

Yes, I am depressed, but I wake up every day and decide again that I am going to battle this disease and I am in the 8% that has a chance of a 5 year survival rate. God only knows when he will take me, but for now I am joyous in the fact that I have family and friends that love me, I do have Doctors and medicine that will help me and that I have another day to live and love this life.

It's easy to be depressive. It's harder to wake up in the face of tragedy and decide you will make the best of the day and find love and a reason to be happy in your life. Don't give up to the waves of depression, embrace yourself and the day and strive in hope and faith that things will get better.

Life on life's terms is never easy but there are many rewards when you have acceptance for what is. Acceptance is key as the first step to solving any problem or dilemma you face. God bless you Shirley and may you find a way through Him to overcome your depression.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/2/2019 3:00:08 PM
I'm sure the beautiful Penny will be triumphant. Now don't go letting me down now. OK. I really hate to be disappointed!!!
 purplerider1200
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/2/2019 4:30:31 PM
You fight it like you fight us, you'll beat it six ways to sunday.

Keep up the killer attitude.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/3/2019 5:04:52 AM
msg#32:
It's easy to be depressive. It's harder to wake up in the face of tragedy and decide you will make the best of the day and find love and a reason to be happy in your life. Don't give up to the waves of depression, embrace yourself and the day and strive in hope and faith that things will get better.

Words to live by, regardless of your circumstance~
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/5/2019 7:48:35 AM
Penny, i wish you the best of luck in your fight. also, thanks for reminding us all that, whatever we labor under, someone has it worse.

on a tangent, an older coworker of mine once lamented that life should have seniority. if you make it a certain age b/c you didn't do something fatally dumb, life should be smoother. Less of the BS we put up with as kids, less of the things that should work logically yet still do not. oh, if only life were thus.
 Spectrallight
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/5/2019 8:28:41 AM

Words to live by, regardless of your circumstance~

For sure. I ended up going out solo Saturday night drinking(I don't much nowadays) on the pull. Instead of Procrastinating or saying to myself what's the point after getting dressed.

It was words I needed to hear. It's been a while since going out on pull never mind solo. But after initial nerve's. It was a decent night.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/5/2019 4:09:19 PM

Life on life's terms is never easy but there are many rewards when you have acceptance for what is. Acceptance is key as the first step to solving any problem or dilemma you face. God bless you Shirley and may you find a way through Him to overcome your depression.

In spite of your trials at this time, I feel blessed that you still have room in your heart to care for me. I will add you to my prayers. I feel confident that God is not finished with you yet.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/5/2019 8:52:15 PM
Shirley said:

I feel confident that God is not finished with you yet.

Penny, a few of us are pulling for you. I'm no prayer warrior, but I'll be praying for you.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/6/2019 5:10:23 PM
Penny.....

Live in each moment....really live. See...taste...touch...hear...say....feel....absorb....everything.

The moments are everything.

Love, hope, faith and prayers. :)
 BBEisBack
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/9/2019 4:33:34 AM
PennyAnte
think about changing your distance for emails. I was going to send you an email but your filters wouldn't let me.
Those filters stop some of us from sending a private message.
I may mentally cuss you out over some post. that doesn't change that I hope you beat the cancer.
For 7 years I watched my late wife fight her cancer and I hope you give yours a good fight, too.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/10/2019 8:36:11 AM
Good morning all!
I must share with you that with God's help, I am on Day 19 without alcohol! Not one sip and no cravings! It's a frickin miracle! And.....guess what? I feel so much more positive, motivated, so much less depressed! I am no longer controlled by the desire for a drink and I love it! It's even better than when I once smoked a pack a day....oh back up to my mid thirties. That was another slave master I was happy to lose. Addiction is the worst kind of motivator.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/11/2019 3:44:42 PM

I feel confident that God is not finished with you yet.

My mom used to say that to me all the time -- but not in a good way. I would always reply with "Good luck trying to catch me! Muhahahaha!" (while rubbing my hands together in a sinister fashion)

I am on Day 19 without alcohol!

That's good! Yes, drinking beyond just a few drinks will slow one down and put them into depressive-ville if they're prone to be depressed. Personally, when it comes to drinking, my urge is that I never want to drink again. Well, on Sunday at least. Then when Friday comes around, I want to go out to the bar and chase tail (which includes drinking beer to give me courage and wit - lol).
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Depression and POF
Posted: 3/15/2019 7:42:32 AM
^^^^^
Your obvious wit, good looks and infectious charm will carry you through....no need for liquid courage!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Depression and POF