Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sock Puppet Culture?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 226
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?Page 10 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

I seriously doubt Pig ever did any kind of serious bible study...I could be wrong of course, but who the heck studies the bible for ten years except the very religious or those studying for the Priesthood

Like, for example, going to Catholic school. You study from 1st grade to 12th grade in school about a variety of things. Some Xian schools have you always take a Xian course every year. I studied math for 16 years. I had a math class every year from 1st grade -> senior in college.

I believe that ANYONE who grabs onto a piece of written material from the time of Jesus, and declares it to be horrible and obscene ~ is a fool.

I'm sure some have written some bad stuff around the time of Jesus in the Roman times. That said though, the gospels were written (and modified) well after Jesus died, so technically it wasn't the time of Jesus. A lot of various stupid ideas/beliefs by people way-back-when. Or hell, even in the 1950s when they thought lead was good for you - lol.

But some people get warm-fuzzies over nostalgia, and give false truth to something because it's aged. But nostalgia's for nostrils.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 227
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/1/2019 3:11:39 PM

It tends to be a problem for those of us who are incessantly preached to by Christians and endure their unsolicited attempts to proselytize.

Who does that incessantly in your real world? I only get that when I walk into a Church, religious meeting of some sort, tune into Christian radio.... Key word being "I". lol
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 3:46:29 AM

Who does that incessantly in your real world? I only get that when I walk into a Church, religious meeting of some sort, tune into Christian radio.... Key word being "I". lol

Friends, family, and strangers stopping me to ask about my cross, which has absolutely nothing to do with "Jesus". For reasons I can't even begin to fathom, they find it unbearable that someone can have beliefs which conflict with their superstition. The worst part is when all of the aforementioned do nothing but take the "argumentum ad passiones" route, which I absolutely will not tolerate.

As for the people in this thread who doubted I studied the Bible in Catholic schools for 10 years, can you supply me with a valid reason why I might lie about something rather unimpressive?? It's not like I'm claiming to have a 13-inch schlong here.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 229
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 7:20:24 AM

I can honestly say, not one atheist, agnostic or even a buddhist has ever knocked on my door or handed me a piece of potential rubbish on the streets. Nor have they stood in the way of a gay parade or family planning clinic to push forward their views. They don't get upset when I don't recognize their holidays, unlike christians who get pissy when you say happy holidays instead of merry christmas.

It's interesting to me that a lot of christians seem to think atheists or agnostics are atheists and agnostics because they've not read the bible or are unfamiliar with it's teachings. Usually, the opposite is true. I'm very familiar with the bible. I was a religious (pun intended) churchgoer from when I could walk until I graduated high school. Religion was drilled into me, and believe me, the life I was brought into made me WANT to believe in something.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 230
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 10:07:20 AM
Copied from the 'Sock Puppet Culture' thread.

Message #228

Friends, family, and strangers stopping me to ask about my cross, which has absolutely nothing to do with "Jesus". For reasons I can't even begin to fathom, they find it unbearable that someone can have beliefs which conflict with their superstition. The worst part is when all of the aforementioned do nothing but take the "argumentum ad passiones" route, which I absolutely will not tolerate.

It is universally known that the wearing of a Cross is often a symbol of the Christian faith so when people ask about it's significance to the wearer, it is clear to me that they are looking to confirm that this is the meaning intended by the wearer of the cross. They may be either simply curious or perhaps hoping to engage in a discussion of faith. It is also possible that they are looking to confirm because the wearer does not seem to them to be, or have been told that they are not to a representative of the Christian faith. Hmmm...to cling to the wearing of the Cross in spite of the symbolism could be considered a sign of spiritual superstition or even a devine intervention?

"For reasons I can't even begin to fathom", non-religious people "find it unbearable that someone can have beliefs which conflict with their" own beliefs or lack thereof.

"Argumentum ad passiones"......Can one be so easily manipulated by emotions that one "absolutely will not tolerate" this route when one could simply argue the opposing belief or opinion with their version of the facts?

Message #229

It's interesting to me that a lot of christians seem to think atheists or agnostics are atheists and agnostics because they've not read the bible or are unfamiliar with it's teachings.

Hmmm.....apples or oranges. I've never come across either word in the Bible but I would be delighted to have them pointed out by someone familiar with "it's teachings". I do know however that an atheist and agnostic can be one and the same. One who does not BELIEVE in the existence of any God is an atheist. One who does NOT KNOW if Gods exist is an agnostic and one who CANNOT BELIEVE BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW is an agnostic atheist. Simply put.

I can honestly say, not one atheist, agnostic or even a buddhist has ever knocked on my door or handed me a piece of potential rubbish on the streets. Nor have they stood in the way of a gay parade or family planning clinic to push forward their views. They don't get upset when I don't recognize their holidays, unlike christians who get pissy when you say happy holidays instead of merry christmas.

Hmmm.... Human beings are murdered before their birth and Christians and other people of faith are being persecuted and murdered all over the world by those who "stood in the way" of their right to life or their beliefs.

I guess Christians could be compared to those who get "pissy" because Christians resent the re-purposing of THEIR religious holiday celebrating the BIRTH OF CHRIST , which is still universally recognized even if not believed. I guess one could say that the holiday remains on the same day purely for convenience and simplicity although a Christian, like me, could believe that this is God's devine intervention so that each year, everyone has an opportunity to revisit their beliefs and possibly come to Christ. If one does not believe however and rejects the Christian meaning, then leave the name and the greeting alone and perhaps celebrate the "happy holidays" on different days. Strangely, Christmas Eve and Christmas are not yet named Happy Holi-Eve or Happy Holi-Day....hmmm....just noticed that the word holiday contains the word 'holi'. Curious....gonna look up the origin.

Holiday - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday
The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg (hālig "holy" + dæg "day"). The word originally referred only to special religious days

Why is it that the "happy holidays" are not celebrated during the Jewish Hanukkah or the Budhist Vesak or the national coming out day for the LGBTQ or any other group's commemorative days? Easy. It is a 'CHRISTIAN HOLY DAY.

Many people or groups share their beliefs or opinions on social media or other methods of proselytizing; for those who love the word in reference to Christians. These groups also include politicians, political parties, charities, LGBTQ, any 'Lives Matter', "Me Too', women's rights, pro-life, pro-choice, animal protection and the list goes on. Each hopes to influence others to join in their beliefs which you have the complete freedom to consider as one poster suggested, "potential rubbish" however in that context is would not necessarily be rubbish. col....stole it BC7

I've copied this over to the 'Christianity and POF' thread where it logically belongs because I'm a bit OCD...lol where I would be delighted to
read other opinions and thoughts.

May God bless you all.

By advice of another poster, I won't apologize for the length of this post even though I find others long posts to be deterring. Makes me a bit of a hypocrite I guess....lol.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 231
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 11:04:06 AM

Hmmm.....apples or oranges. I've never come across either word in the Bible but I would be delighted to have them pointed out by someone familiar with "it's teachings". I do know however that an atheist and agnostic can be one and the same. One who does not BELIEVE in the existence of any God is an atheist. One who does NOT KNOW if Gods exist is an agnostic and one who CANNOT BELIEVE BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW is an agnostic atheist. Simply put.

I wasn't asking for a definition of an atheist or an agnostic...I know what they are.
Perhaps read again what I said and realize it's context.

Again, I say happy holidays to pissy christians during christmas.
I also say happy holidays during hanukkah.

I don't want others to attempt to influence me in their beliefs...that's the whole point.
How can you say it doesn't happen and then say that's what each hopes to do?
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 232
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 11:49:04 AM
^^^^
You'll find my response over in the 'Christianity and POF' thread as this has nothing to do with sock puppets.
My OCD again. Oops! lol
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 233
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 12:27:10 PM

One who does not BELIEVE in the existence of any God is an atheist.

Theist = One who believes that any God or Gods do in fact Exist.
Athiest = Non-theist (not a theist), by language construct, so this core definition cannot change by street-definitions.
Abacterial = Non-bacterial

Yes, one who does not hold the belief that a god does in fact exist -- for whatever reason -- is a non-theist (atheist).

Atheism is Not defined as someone who holds the belief that no Gods exist. That's a Type of non-thiest. Many times called a "strong atheist", or better put, anti-theist. Kind of like anti-bacterial lotion is abacterial, but it's more than just merely abacterial as in lacking any bacteria -- it kills bacteria.

One who does NOT KNOW if Gods exist is an agnostic and one who CANNOT BELIEVE BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW is an agnostic atheist.

This is where things get tricky, as opposed to the above, which is pretty simple. "Gnostic" means having knowledge. So an agnostic = not having knowledge of [whatever-you're-referring-to]. In this case, the actual existence of any Gods.

But here's the thing: When Thomas Huxley coined the phrase in 1869, he meant knowing as a basis of believing or not. "It simply means that a man shall not say he knows or believes that which he has no scientific grounds for professing to know or believe." Also, he said: "Agnosticism is of the essence of science, whether ancient or modern. It simply means that a man shall not say he knows or believes that which he has no scientific grounds for professing to know or believe. Consequently, agnosticism puts aside not only the greater part of popular theology, but also the greater part of anti-theology. On the whole, the "bosh" of heterodoxy is more offensive to me than that of orthodoxy, because heterodoxy professes to be guided by reason and science, and orthodoxy does not."

It's any substantial knowledge that would lead one to Actually Believe that X is in fact true.

By default, if you Assert that you cannot know if X exists, you're saying you're not going to believe that X does in fact exist. By default, if you're agnostic -- you're not a theist. You're not someone who believes that God does in fact exist.

But one will argue that you can hold the belief that you in fact do not know if X exists, but you can still believe that X does in fact exist. This would be an "agnostic theist". IMO, they're in a strange place by social pressure & emotion. Emotion will make us believe conflicting things about Ex's, current relationships, dating, etc. The imperfections of language also contribute to this.

Again, by the coining of the phrase via Huxley -- it's the lack of having any adequate knowledge To form a belief (come to a any conclusion).

Here's why this is really strange:

Sally: Do you believe there is in fact intelligent life on Mars?
Bob: Yes, I do believe there is in fact intelligent life on Mars, but no, I do not know if there's intelligent life on Mars.
Sally: Wait -- what? Why do you hold the belief that there is in fact intelligent life on Mars, when you just said that you do not know if there is any intelligent life on Mars?
Bob: Because I'm high.

Sally: Do you believe God exists?
Bob: Yes, I do believe God in fact exists, but no, I do not know if God actually exists.
Sally: Wait -- what? Why do you believe that God in fact exists if you do not know if God actually exists?
Bob: Because my mom would kill me. And my emotions would freak out. Plus, there's cute chicks at church. And I don't want to be 'atheist'. Would Kill my dating chances.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 234
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 12:59:20 PM
^^^^
Nothing to do with sock puppets....sigh. ????
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 235
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 1:42:05 PM

Nothing to do with sock puppets....sigh. ????

Okay, good point. I was going along with the off-topic. But I'll try and make up for it: Being a theist is just being a sock puppet, if/when one doesn't believe God in fact exists, but instead believes God very well Could exist. :)

Analogy: A sock-puppet in the dating scene would be someone who goes out on a date acting as if they Do in fact find them attractive, but in reality, they merely believe they Could find them attractive. :)
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 3:32:48 PM
^^^
I think 'off-topic' refers to threads not under topics listed in the thread selections such as 'Dating Experiences' or 'Relationship Issues' although I could very well be mistaken.

The dictionary definition of a Theist is as below:
/ˈTHēist/
noun
a person who believes in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe.

Not representative of your sock puppet theory or your analogy. So handy to have the answer literally at our fingertips!
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 3:48:46 PM

a person who believes in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe.

Theist = One who believes that any God or Gods do in fact Exist.

Not representative of your sock puppet theory or your analogy.

How is mine different? Are you saying a theist is someone who merely believes that a God or Gods Could exist? No, that's not the definition. It's one who believes that a God or Gods do in fact exist. Read the definition.

My sock-puppet explanation is one who merely believes it Could exist, but acting as someone who is an actual theist: One who believes it in fact Does exist.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 3:57:06 PM

My sock-puppet explanation is one who merely believes it Could exist, but acting as someone who is an actual theist:

That would be a 'fibbing' agnostic not a sock puppet with multiple personas.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 239
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 4:01:02 PM

That would be a 'fibbing' agnostic not a sock puppet with multiple personas.

Well, there are multiple personas -- in a technical way, isolated around one's theistic-position. One, he's agnostic, two he's posing as a theist (the sock).

Kind of like one of my friends pretended he believed in Mormonism because he wanted this one cute girl who went to our Mormon friend's church. She called out the sock-puppeting though. It's not like he could have expected to go so far with her even if she bought into it for a longer period of time anyway.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 240
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 4:06:32 PM
Shirley?

Good luck with that^^^^! Lmao!

vvvDon't even try to follow the logic! It hurts! It hurts! Lol! :D
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/2/2019 4:13:54 PM
^^^^
Laughing too!
I dun bin toltd!
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/3/2019 3:46:34 AM

It is universally known that the wearing of a Cross is often a symbol of the Christian faith so when people ask about it's significance to the wearer, it is clear to me that they are looking to confirm that this is the meaning intended by the wearer of the cross.

How many of these Christians know the Bible forbids the use of physical icons to worship and represent "God"? Furthermore, there is no mention in the Bible of "Jesus" being crucified on a cross. Let it also be known the cross as a symbol predates Christianity. For me, it is a decorative piece. Nothing more. Nothing less.

"Argumentum ad passiones"......Can one be so easily manipulated by emotions that one "absolutely will not tolerate" this route when one could simply argue the opposing belief or opinion with their version of the facts?

I'm not sure what you're trying to convey here, but my point is, I have no time for emotion-based red herring responses when Christians find themselves stumped over a point I may make. Either formulate a direct rebuttal or don't bother. For example, telling me to look at the face of a newborn child as "proof" of God as a response is one of the tritest and emptiest ones I've dealt with.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/3/2019 4:26:37 AM
^"How many of these Christians know the Bible forbids the use of physical icons to worship and represent "God"? Furthermore, there is no mention in the Bible of "Jesus" being crucified on a cross. Let it also be known the cross as a symbol predates Christianity. For me, it is a decorative piece. Nothing more. Nothing less."

I knew this. :)

"For example, telling me to look at the face of a newborn child as "proof" of God as a response is one of the tritest and emptiest ones I've dealt with."

Come on! Have you held a baby recently? They are about as close to God as you can get in this World! (Except when they are crying or pooping or have green stuff oozing out their noses :/)
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/3/2019 4:56:44 AM

Come on! Have you held a baby recently?

Yes, within the last few months, actually. As joyous and wonderful an experience as it may be (and it really is), it's not compelling evidence for the existence of a "God". Why do so many Christians demand ironclad proof for any other claims under the sun, yet will rely on "faith" when it comes to "God"? There is nothing virtuous about faith. It's an acknowledgment a particular notion hasn't the capacity to stand on its own merits. If "God" is "truth", truth doesn't demand or even request belief. It doesn't have to.

Can you imagine if the police and doctors operated on faith?? How many people would like to be dragged out of their houses in the middle of the night by the police, placed into the back of the car and told they're being charged with robbing the neighborhood bank despite there being zero evidence to link you to the crime? Police claim: We have FAITH you did it.

A doctor wants to open your head via surgery, although no testing has been conducted to indicate you have a condition that requires this procedure. Doctor's claim: I have FAITH you have a brain tumor.

Why is compelling evidence SO crucial in one regard, but not even a consideration in the other?
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/3/2019 5:09:30 AM
^Stop being such a flatlander! :D

And unfortunately, this Dreamer has to go to work....can't play with you anymore, right now.

Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/3/2019 5:31:30 AM
I have "faith" you'll play with me again. :)~

SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/3/2019 10:16:09 AM
So, in the last 60 days we have lost a few notorious sock puppets.
I don't know all of their puppet personas but here are some posters that I have noticed missing in that time.
Lady in Red
White Rose
My True Companion
GodlessGal
Blue Moon
True Blue?
Curvy Lady
I_am_Constipated
Platitude
Costatmann
Kavapaw22
Pastas
Elphatas
JohnfromZelie
Hemingway
Spectralight
Naistro

By Costatmann

I am kind of like the undead of the board. They keep killing me and I keep coming back. I'm thinking I am the only person here they actually programmed a script to attack my ata profiles so I just stopped using ata profiles. Sorry admin....I have too much fun here so here I am.

^^^ I will survive (maybe not elphatas....but plenty more where elphatas comes from

I hope he is OK....lol
Did I miss any? Any new socks?
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 248
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/3/2019 11:29:54 PM
We've managed to confuse you. I've edited your list with my opinion. Hope this helps.

Lady in Red - Not a sock puppet.
White Rose - Not a sock puppet.
My True Companion - The new profile Blonde Angel had before being deleted again. It was not a sock puppet.
GodlessGal - Possible sock puppet belonging to BA (Blonde Angel).
Blue Moon - Was a deleted and the user created a new profile, Seamist474. Not a sock puppet.
True Blue - Not a sock puppet.
Curvy Lady - Not a sock puppet.
I_am_Constipated - One of Ba's sock puppets. This was an account she was actually using while using other accounts.
Platitude - If I understood him this was a reserve profile he used when another got deleted. Technically it was sock because he has multiple profiles.
Costatmann - the sock used to replace Platitude.
Kavapaw22 - the sock used to replace Costatmann.
Pastas - the sock used to replace Kavapaw22.
Elphatas - the sock used to replace Pastas.
JohnfromZelie - Not a sock puppet.
Hemingway - Not a sock puppet.
Spectralight - Not a sock puppets. He did self delete and came back as Spectravision.
Naistro - I'm not familiar with this poster.

I'm not aware of any others.
 ForumLurker
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 1:32:32 AM
^^^^
WOW!
To know all that you either have a photographic memory or you spend way too much time here. Or, you spent too much time and effort researching those names.

No offense. I was just awed that someone knew so much about so many or spent the time researching it.
 Inicia
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 6:28:30 AM
"sock puppets" if names change as well as no consistent photo, as well as attempting to create different personas, ok that is the way they enjoy social media. i guess the other end is those who enjoy uncovering and tabulating socks lol pairing the puppets with their mates. it is entertainment, some choose books, tv, sports, music, gaming, art, crafts . the computer and tech, www, offer plethora. maybe sock puppets frustrated actors working mundane reality jobs but get the fun and attention of being red carpet fodder. of choice. and these keeping tabs frustrated private eyes. isn't it fun to proactively entertain our brains? you FL obviously cameo . 😜
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sock Puppet Culture?