Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sock Puppet Culture?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?Page 11 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

No offense. I was just awed that someone knew so much about so many or spent the time researching it.

None taken. All were involved in two of the threads I participated in and there were many sock puppet accusations. lol
It was a new term to me two months ago when I came back to the forums.
 Seamist474
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 10:49:00 AM

We've managed to confuse you. I've edited your list with my opinion. Hope this helps.

Lady in Red - Not a sock puppet.
White Rose - Not a sock puppet.
My True Companion - The new profile Blonde Angel had before being deleted again. It was not a sock puppet.
GodlessGal - Possible sock puppet belonging to BA (Blonde Angel).
Blue Moon - Was a deleted and the user created a new profile, Seamist474. Not a sock puppet.
True Blue - Not a sock puppet.
Curvy Lady - Not a sock puppet.
I_am_Constipated - One of Ba's sock puppets. This was an account she was actually using while using other accounts.
Platitude - If I understood him this was a reserve profile he used when another got deleted. Technically it was sock because he has multiple profiles.
Costatmann - the sock used to replace Platitude.
Kavapaw22 - the sock used to replace Costatmann.
Pastas - the sock used to replace Kavapaw22.
Elphatas - the sock used to replace Pastas.
JohnfromZelie - Not a sock puppet.
Hemingway - Not a sock puppet.
Spectralight - Not a sock puppets. He did self delete and came back as Spectravision.
Naistro - I'm not familiar with this poster.

I'm not aware of any others.

Spot on.

As for Platitude, Kavapaw22, etc. He's been around for years and keeps getting deleted. He shouldn't be deleted, he's no different than anyone else posting on here. Actually, Blonde shouldn't keep getting deleted either. No one should be deleting anyone - we learned the hard way playing that game - its juvenile.

And sometimes I add the "Bluemoon" responding to an old forum poster that I've know for years. I'm not trying to hide.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 253
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 11:06:00 AM
Thanks! I have been confused a couple of times with the Blue Moon reference on your posts.
In Platy's, etc. case however I think deletion or at least a detention of sorts is fair when a post is a hateful and personal attack on others and/or uses foul language. Facebook does a detention referred to as "Facebook jail". lol
 Noftheborder
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 11:31:57 AM

I think deletion or at least a detention of sorts is fair when a post is a hateful and personal attack on others and/or uses foul language.

That's where it becomes a slippery slope - where one poster may deem something as hateful and personal the next poster may not or will simply ignore that individual. In fact, ignoring is as good as a deletion or detention when the perceived/real wrong doer is left to look foolish by what amounts to eventually talking to himself because no one else will engage. We don't always need someone to regulate when we're fully capable of self-regulation. This of course, doesn't include such posts that include actual threats of harm, etc. - apples and oranges.
 Inicia
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 11:45:59 AM
I think deletion or at least a detention of sorts is fair when a post is a hateful and personal attack on others and/or uses foul language: And who is adult and fair, and blind, and objective enough; and experienced enough in discourse to determine such? we are adults by the time we are on social media of pof: the oldest- largest surviving free, dating sight on the net, with a forums app, I hope we have heard it all . lol the racism and stereotyping are much more damaging and we can't stop that. "foul language' i am lmao.. sunday school or any school. i graduated many years ago. the foul language i perceive is much different than others idea of foul. but i deal with it. too funny
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 12:09:38 PM
Agree, Nottheborder.

I would rather have "Free speech" than "PC speech" thank you very much!

Give me back the "Wild West" forums when posters didn't delete others for perceived offenses and "I just don't like you".

~~~Actual threats & doxxing should be actionable offenses, imo.
 Seamist474
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 12:13:52 PM

In Platy's, etc. case however I think deletion or at least a detention of sorts is fair when a post is a hateful and personal attack on others and/or uses foul language.

In defense of Platy's (and the ata profiles), I've sparred with him for a good 6 or 8 years before coming to a "agree to disagree" or "you have a point, I have mine" as well as sharing holiday messages. What you see as a "hateful and personal attack on others" - you have no idea what has gone back and forth for months, sometimes years, with posters on here and what type of "relationship" they have, the history. Topics get heated at times.

As for foul language, nothing like using the F-word as a sentence enhancer. There is far worse out there to worry about than the use of the F-word or the C-word. Blatant racism, bigotry, misogyny, anti LGTBQ rhetoric, anti immigrant/refugee/asylum seeker rhetoric, etc. is far worse than someone using the F-bomb.
 FFS38
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 12:42:15 PM

One who does NOT KNOW if Gods exist is an agnostic and one who CANNOT BELIEVE BECAUSE THEY DO NOT KNOW is an agnostic atheist.

Personally I'm an agnostic dyslexic insomniac..
I lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog
 ForumLurker
Msg: 259
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 3:48:08 PM
Shirley, I was referring to ontheotherhand's detailed information on all the posters you listed.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 5:03:31 PM
Hi ForumLurker. I've only been absent about 3 yrs. I do have a decent memory and sometimes I can be obsessive. That's a good and bad quality.
 Seamist474
Msg: 261
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 5:26:00 PM
^^^

Its odd how we can remember someone who posted 3 or 5 years ago but I can't remember where I put my phone. And I did get your name incorrect Bug. Apologies there. And I never would have guess that Million was KJ.

Sometimes I still have to sing the "alphabet" song to remember ....the alphabet. But forums names...I remember them too. Its interesting reading through some of the old posts and coming across names and going - "I remember that person".
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 262
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/4/2019 8:18:40 PM
'And I never would have guess that Million was KJ."

I'm that good, eh?

What can I say? Frustrated actress. :D

And Ms. Bug? She is just amazing with an amazing memory! So jealous!
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/5/2019 7:32:56 PM
K. Is Bug 'On the other hand'?
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/5/2019 9:22:33 PM
Yes. When first joining in '03 my username was ascuteasabug. I took a break in '07, then came back as thebugisback until I got a POF stalker. POF suggested changing my username and hiding my profile. Being just here for the forums I became theforumfiend. That's the username I used until being nuked in '15. People still call me bug. I like it.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/6/2019 4:04:04 AM
Hmmm.....POF stalker. Did he chase you around the forums or how did that happen really?
Nice to know you Bug....lol.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/6/2019 1:47:26 PM
It started with a message from the guy. I let him know that I was sincere when stating in my profile that I was only here for the forums. Later I saw that he had changed his profile to include part of mine and wrote about me as though we were a couple. He also posted several times right after me. I wrote to POF about it. I think they contacted him. I followed their advice - changed my username, hid my pictures, and profile. I didn't post for a couple of weeks. I was lucky, he went away.
 Igotthisalso
Msg: 267
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/6/2019 2:14:46 PM
""""And I never would have guess that Million was KJ."

I'm that good, eh? """

Or that bad. :-)
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/6/2019 2:15:02 PM

If I understood him this was a reserve profile he used when another got deleted. Technically it was sock because he has multiple profiles.

But does that make it a sock puppet? Correct me if (and where) I'm wrong, but isn't a sock puppet a deceptive identity? Where, yeah, usually a multiple profile is an indicator of it -- but maybe not (one profile in Cali, one in NY since they travel tons; not trying to be a different person). And one could just have a deceptive one, without having a real one, right?

IMO, an identity (profile) used for the actual dating scene, it's easier to call their profile a sock puppet VS an identity/profile made for forum use. Like my profile -- I actually Don't have a raccoon farm that I let wander out at night and herd in before dawn; nor do I bring a raccoon on drive-in dates and demand a gal kiss me every time kissing occurs on-screen. :) But that's to Shoo away potential dates; and it's so obvious it's being funny & not trying to be real, that it's not deceiving. It's just a profile for the forums. A more fun way of filling it out, rather than saying "I'm just on here for the forums."

A profile used just for the forums and explicitly Not for dating -- it's less stringent. Who cares if you live in NJ instead of NY, or NC instead of SC -- or are 40 and not 35. It's not for dating. I would say you're a "sock puppet" if you're generationally or gender-wise different than you claim, or in other ways claiming to be in an entirely different "boat" than you really are that would have an effect on things talked about in the forums. OR, you're claiming not to be OnlinePersonBanned, when you really are. Other than that, it's of no matter, as it's just an exchange of thoughts, ideas, and POVs.
 Seamist474
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/6/2019 5:04:34 PM

It started with a message from the guy. I let him know that I was sincere when stating in my profile that I was only here for the forums. Later I saw that he had changed his profile to include part of mine and wrote about me as though we were a couple. He also posted several times right after me. I wrote to POF about it. I think they contacted him. I followed their advice - changed my username, hid my pictures, and profile. I didn't post for a couple of weeks. I was lucky, he went away.

In all my years on here I was lucky enough not to get some wacko follow me around. I have had some "odd" dates but nothing scary, no lurkers, no weirdo's, no stalkers. I did have one guy that wanted to wear women's clothes and do housework, which would have been fine if he wanted to clean my house but he wanted to dress up and clean his own house.

There have been many name changes over the years and then some long time posters that just disappeared - like Walts, who would delete Walts??? I miss Clooney and his odd way of looking at things. The best name I've seen so far was Anita Lay. That was a good one. I think its still alive but she has not posted in years.

And KJ - you did a good job of hiding. There was one thing you said in response to me in a thread that made me say "I know who that is, just think of her name" and again, I wouldn't have thought of you. I keep telling our mutual "friend" that - nope, not KJ.
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/6/2019 5:29:31 PM
NG, I've never thought of you as being a sock puppet. Maybe this definition from Wikpedia will help clear things up.

A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception. The term, a reference to the manipulation of a simple hand puppet made from a sock, originally referred to a false identity assumed by a member of an Internet community who spoke to, or about, themselves while pretending to be another person.[1]

The term now includes other misleading uses of online identities, such as those created to praise, defend or support a person or organization,[2] to manipulate public opinion,[3] or to circumvent a suspension or ban from a website. A significant difference between the use of a pseudonym[4] and the creation of a sockpuppet is that the sockpuppet poses as an independent third-party unaffiliated with the puppeteer. Sockpuppets are unwelcome in many online communities and may be blocked.

Edit: Wow blue, if he wanted to clean the house I might have gone for it.
 ForumLurker
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/7/2019 1:16:30 AM

In all my years on here I was lucky enough not to get some wacko follow me around. I have had some "odd" dates but nothing scary, no lurkers, ..........

I guess that leaves me out.
 Inicia
Msg: 272
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/7/2019 7:20:18 AM
forumsfriend! now i can place your face with the you i knew! thank you!😎
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/20/2019 9:03:05 AM
Well....it seems that POF finally figured out a way to thwart Platy from posting under any more profiles.....
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 4/20/2019 11:35:27 AM

NG, I've never thought of you as being a sock puppet.

Oh, I wasn't at all implying in any way that you did. I was questioning people's uses of "sock puppet" just because one has another profile. For forum-use-only, there's very little to "deceive" one on, as far as one's profile goes -- apart from age-bracket / gender / race / general location area that may play a role in discussion.

Maybe this definition from Wikpedia will help clear things up.

... or just verify/answer my question and assumed definition. :)

Correct me if (and where) I'm wrong, but isn't a sock puppet a deceptive identity?

A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sock Puppet Culture?