Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sock Puppet Culture?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
^^^ 100.... I remember all of the folks you mentioned and thought this....

Just because you miss them, doesn't mean they're gone. Because in your mind and on POF, they will continue to live on....

Carry on, live on, and never be a puppet to a sock.Be more real than your puppets.... And have more soul than any sock.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 5:06:01 AM
One of my favorite posters on the board claimed to have a doctorate in theoretical physics, I forget his name, but he rode a motorbike and obviously knew his physics. He posted frequently on the science thread;

The poster I most despise...Cotter..the essence of ignorance and myopic thinking;

The most mocking poster... mungo..the worst I have ever seen anywhere though I must admit I enjoyed his posts, they were amusing;

KJ was among the more sensitive and compassionate posters here, maybe the only compassionate person who posted here. Her anything trump stance still bewilders me;

The most pig headed poster I have ever seen anywhere jovan, although in truth i agreed with much of his analysis about religion, i agreed with him about little else, still he was highly intelligent and truly believed in what he said, was a far leftist and that did make him irrational and in his mind, always right;

The poster most to feel sorry for..although I don't, screwn8...obviously a guy with huge issues;

The posters I feel almost sorry for, those who have so much going on in their lives that they can't but help wear their religion on their sleeves...rose comes to mind;

The most obnoxious poster. Funchesf; Funchesf was highly intelligent and subtly found the most vulnerable areas he could find, and then repeatedly attacked. You had to pay attention to see what he was doing though. He is my least missed poster.

The most inane poster I have ever seen Ben artflick.

The characters on the board come and go, these are some who have made their mark for me.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 6:42:59 AM
My favorite of all was Cowboy! I really miss his posts. He was smart, level headed, fair and non-judgemental. Really nice man with a great sense of humor.

he was highly intelligent and truly believed in what he said, was a far leftist and that did make him irrational and in his mind, always right;

Brings to mind some others, but we are all different in the way we feel and express ourselves but positivity is always best.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 7:24:12 AM
^^^^^Maybe so, But positive people are a dime a dozen and don't make a mark. These are the people we should marry. But it is the Donald trump's of the world, horrible as he is, who get all of the attention.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 7:41:38 AM
You know, I remember Cowboy. He was positive here...non judgmental, but he was the moderator of the board and it was his job to be that way. As I recall the word "on the street", he committed suicide? If so, he had significant issues which he never exposed on this board....so in the end, you just really never know about people or what is going on with them. Its all too easy to put a false face to the world, to pretend to be somebody you are not.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 8:14:02 AM
^Very irresponsible of you to post "word on the street" gossip about a deceased poster.

Shame on you.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 8:20:14 AM
^^^^^^ Well, by saying it is word on the street, it is clearly something which may not be true...is "hearsay" if you will, but I am not sure why we should not talk about a potential suicide of a member here? Suicide is not something that should be hidden as if it shameful. It should be brought out in the open so that others who are thinking about it might actually talk about it rather than acting on what they are feeling. If he passed for some other reason, maybe somebody can enlighten us? Cancer? drug overdose? accident?
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 8:28:01 AM
^Your reasoning might be acceptable IF you were not relying on "hearsay" to have a conversation about something you are not even sure can be attributed to a former poster who has no way to defend himself against malicious gossip.

Be a man...and just admit...that it was just wrong.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 8:45:48 AM
^^^^ I'm not sure why you are upset about this. Its not like you are the poster who provided me the hearsay or the implication of what happened to Cowboy, its not like your confidences are being violated. I don't even know who you were back then.

Look everybody here liked Cowboy from what I recall, (although there was some sort of thread where people were challenging even that). For whatever reason Cowboy passed, he was missed by most people. If Cowboy died suddenly and unexpectedly through an accident, than his death is far less meaningful than if (and that is a big IF) he took his own life. If he took his own life than his death is even that much more tragic because it was a death that could have been prevented had he sought competent help for his issues. By ignoring what "may" have happened to him, by sweeping it under the rug, is to do him a disservice and is especially a disservice to those who may be in the same position he was in, who it is still possible to reach. That is how I see it anyway. But I will be happy to tell the board I do not have any personal knowledge about how Cowboy passed or why, and to the extent I received information from any number of people here...it was generalized information and I drew my own conclusions from what I heard. That is the best I can do.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 9:23:43 AM
^"its not like your confidences are being violated"

But what of his?

Just because you can...doesn't mean you should.

I'll say no more. If you feel it is appropriate to share real life info of posters without their or their loved ones consent, then knock yourself out.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 9:39:37 AM
^^^ If somebody is no longer here, I doubt they are concerned about their confidences being violated...but you are assuming there was a confidence violated and that is a big assumption on your part. If somebody shoots themself, well they know that people are going to know they committed suicide. Maybe that is what they want people to know. If somebody dies of a drug overdose, there are two possibilities...suicide or an accident. If somebody drives their car into a solid object at high speed, we can assume suicide but we don't know for sure. I have no idea how Cowboy passed. But if people believe it was suicide, well he must have left the clues necessary for people to make that determination.

I know of several people who have committed suicide over the years....and most of the time their families are honest about what happened and why. Sometimes the families are embarrassed and try to hide what happened. Usually when the families are high profile. That is selfish imho....

I don't understand suicide. I've never been so depressed that taking my own life was even a fleeting thought in my head, but I understand not everybody is so fortunate and I understand how devastating it can be on the families left behind. Seems to me that if a family member or loved one commits suicide, that the guilt of the survivors will be tremendous...and they will likely need to talk things over with others to survive that guilt. Hiding things because of public embarrassment may only make things worse.

Anyway, if the person who intimated to me Cowboy committed suicide knew, well then so did numerous others, because that person was not a loved one of Cowboy. He/she may have met Cowboy, may have liked cowboy, but He/she was not in the family circle of Cowboy's life. If he/she knew, there were no confidences to be breached, the information was already in the public domain. Just saying.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 9:44:01 AM
So Million, let us say we simply disagree about this. You don't know me. I don't know you. We travel in different worlds with different world views That is what makes life interesting.....we all march to our own drummers.
 Seamist474
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 9:44:30 AM
^^^
"I'll say no more. If you feel it is appropriate to share real life info of posters without their or their loved ones consent, then knock yourself out"

We don't even know his real name, where would you contact a loved one? That just seems silly. I mentioned OyVey and I knew him, knew his name, knew his daughter but I didn't contact her to mention his name in here. You are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Suicide, the issue and not gossip, should be talked about openly. Robyn Williams committed suicide and no one had permission to discuss that. There have been a few posters on here that were suicidal and there were many discussion around that....some even offered their own experiences in the area.

When the name Cowboy comes up, I smile a little and think "so sad". What's wrong with that. He was a moderator on a dating site, he wasn't in People Magazine or the LA Times.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 9:48:01 AM
^^^^ I get the feeling that Million was personally touched by Cowboy's passing, so maybe she feels differently about this than we do. Still you are absolutely right....Robin Williams and so many others, here is a very recent incredibly sad story:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/kelly-catlin-dead-us-cyclist-world-champion-cause-of-death-age-how-did-dies-a8817001.html

Is it wrong to discuss her death because we are violating her confidences? We don't even know her.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 9:50:29 AM
^Are you stating that you know for a fact, that Cowboy committed suicide?

Just trying to make things clear.

kavapaw22
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 10:01:16 AM
^^^ I already mentioned I have no personal knowledge and that I have made certain assumptions based on what I was told. How could I possibly state it as a fact. Do you have any knowledge about the matter?

Why are you so harsh? Is it the board that is making you this way...or is this you?
 PieAlaMojo
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 1:20:47 PM
Good grief you two. Put a sock in it already.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 1:58:39 PM
^^^Who knew what dramas transpired in one's sock drawer!?!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 2:12:15 PM
I only spoke to the geezer a couple of times but i do remember the thread about his passing. So here is the thread. Hopefully it will stop the sniping................

"I have been asked by a personal friend of Cowboy's to let you know he passed away almost a year ago. Although they contacted as many people as they could at the time, they didn't think to add it here even though these forums were a huge entertainment for him for many years.

If there is an afterlife, hopefully, he's tucked away somewhere with a petite blonde and a good bottle of Tequila."

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16405455.aspx
 kavapaw22
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 3:24:17 PM
^^^that was an interesting read Vlad....like I indicated earlier, I remember some posts where he was attacked...and there it was. I don't believe I ever interacted with the guy, I probably only was here for a short time before he left. I just remember thinking to myself he seemed to be cool.

Seems like in the thread you cited, it was hush hush about why he had passed on....but again the implication was suicide...otherwise why so much hush hush? If he died any other way, nobody would have been hush hush about it...so people think it was shameful that he passed on by his own hand or possibly a drug overdose. And yet, especially in to the present, when life expectancy has actually gone down due to drug deaths and suicides, suicide should be brought out in the open and not spoken about behind closed doors. How else is this scourge to be attacked and dealt with if nobody is even willing to acknowledge it happens.

I don't understand why anybody would be upset about this. I am guessing that if Cowboy could help people deal with whatever situations he dealt with, he would do so. People who have attempted suicide and survived and healed can be a huge inspiration to others considering the same way out. Stop ignoring mental illness. Ignoring it does not help the situation. Once somebody takes their own life, it is too late to help.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 3:39:38 PM
Platy
"^^^that was an interesting read Vlad....like I indicated earlier, I remember some posts where he was attacked...and there it was. I don't believe I ever interacted with the guy, I probably only was here for a short time before he left. I just remember thinking to myself he seemed to be cool."

A mutual friend of ours down in florida was quite close to the geezer. I know he had his demons but i can't recall ever hearing he took his own life to be fair.

He must have made an impression on posters though as his thread is five pages long.

It was interesting looking at the posters who used to be on here just a few years back.

It was like when Bob passed away (OyVey) i never knew at the time. It was Trinity who told me.

I sometimes wonder about posters i used to talk to then they get nuked.

But rest assured if i ever get ill yous will all know about it. Like just now where i have the new super strain of Siberian Death Flu.

And i expect gushing tributes when i turn up my toes.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 4:02:20 PM
Vlad, I am speculating. I don't know if it was suicide. Maybe it was a disease that people are ashamed about like HIV. So maybe I should shut up. Its none of my business I suppose. Whatever it was, may he RIP...and I am sorry to his good friends who still miss him.

Everybody is different. I have a very, very good friend who recently died of cancer, but she chose to post on one of the cancer support groups, in graphic detail, exactly what she was going through. If it brought her some happiness to do that, god bless her.

For myself, I would rather remain private....if nobody knows I am gone...so much the better. Slip away from earth quietly without fanfare....that is what I want for myself. I hope that when my time comes my family grieves for a short period of time and then go on with their lives as we all must.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Sock Puppet Culture?
Posted: 3/12/2019 5:08:31 PM
Peaceful rest, Cowboy.

Hey, hey, my, my....

https://youtu.be/PbeIv39s04s

Hey, hey, my, my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture than meets the eye
Hey, hey, my, my
Out of the blue and into the black
You pay for this and they give you that
Once you're gone you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black
The king is gone but he's not forgotten
Is this the tale of Johnny Rotten?
It's better to burn out than to fade away
The king is gone but he's not forgotten
Hey, hey, my, my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture than meets the eye
Hey, hey, my, my
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Sock Puppet Culture?