Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FFS38
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 11 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)

She has a father. I have a father, his name is Peter. I have mother too, her name was Mary. I don't deny my father or mother - Peter and Mary are my parents.

C'mon, you know what I'm talking about, the almighty father who breathed life into your very veins and gave you the opportunity to make a difference with your life and not give in to sin and corruption. I think you're inflamed because by existing you're forced to make a choice, and you're angry because nobody gets to be neutral, everybody has to choose which side of the fence they are on.
By the way no idea why you mentioned your parents names (perhaps you have no idea) but they are very Biblical.

If followers can't acknowledge that god causes the bad stuff as well as the good, IMHO, they have a problem

I'm sorry I don't know where you get this information from, but you are at least acknowledging that our mortal lives are all about the balance of good and evil (God and the devil) yin and yang, darkness and light, call it whatever you like, no one can deny it.
 Seamist474
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 4/4/2019 7:44:45 PM
BTW, I know my parents names are very biblical. People gave names like that in the 1920s and 30s, even today unless they are naming them Apple or Krystyn or some silly spelling. I have a biblical name too. So? That means I have to be a Christian? I don't think so. If I was born in Japan I'd have a Japanese name. And choosing a side of the fence has nothing to do with a god or goddess.

I mentioned my parents name because you intimated I had a different father, like Jesus or god or something. My father just just a really nice guy named Peter.

A person can have balance in their lives, know right from wrong, do no harm, know good from evil, dark from light and even the tried and true "do unto others" is known by similar words all over the globe and it has nothing to do with Christianity. I don't steal from a store or steal a car or stab someone because I know its wrong, not because some book written by a bunch of men a few thousand years ago said so.

As you know, Christians do wrong every day, our jails are full of people with biblical names that identify as Christian. Christians don't own good behaviour.

And no one has answered the - if we thank god for all the god, why not blame god for all the bad. I listened to my very religious cousin tell my other cousin, who just buried their 16 year old daughter, that it was god's will and she was in a better place. Where the fck is a better place than home with her parents who love her? This is the religious crap that pisses me off.
 pinesta
Msg: 253
Posted: 4/5/2019 5:28:30 AM
"""I think you're inflamed because by existing you're forced to make a choice"""

You need to make a choice? What kind of choice? There is no "choice" involved if you assume God is who you say he is, he made the choice. Based on determinism, everything was already preordained. And free will is a facade. I was minding my own business in nonexistence when I was snatched into existence. I had no choice in the matter. I became who I was by nature and nurture. I had no choice.

Even my purported free will is exercised as it had to be because of who I am.

And if there is a choice, if I choose to believe in one God or many or none at all, why does it make a difference? If God created this huge universe where our world isn't even a speck. Why would such a God like presence give a damn what little old me decided to choose or believe. That makes no sense. Sorry. It's all complete nonsense.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2019 10:45:13 AM

Huge difference. The consequences for a criminal act are normally proportional to the crime and never for infinity. Nor are you punished for thought crimes or required to worship an invisible man who does not show himself. Moral wrongs are not punished criminally at all.

I punish myself for some thoughts but once I seek forgiveness, I am free. Even Atheists may mentally 'convict' themselves for acts of wrong doing they know are morally wrong. What defines wrong doing or sin but a crime against another, no matter how minor.

It is not God's designated punishment but his warning that we go to Hell if we don't believe and instead he offers us a promise of eternal life and tells us how to receive it and it is not difficult buy we are free to choose. The Bible tells us the story of Jesus and Salvation with many proven historical facts. Although God is invisible today, Jesus was seen by many, many people in those times and some documented his teachings and miracles and apostles were appointed to continue spreading the Word. Many historical facts have been verified. Only a generation after WW11, there are those who would deny the Holocaust yet we know it to be true. One day, there will be those who say that the horror of native residential schooling never existed. All because anyone who actually saw or experienced these things are no longer alive as witnesses. So...just because God is invisible does not mean he did not or does not exist.

I believe the term is" born into sin"...

This is more correct although the baby picks it up pretty quickly just by "nature and nurture" as another poster said.

If followers can't acknowledge that god causes the bad stuff as well as the good, IMHO, they have a problem

I've never said that God "causes" the good but in my case, he is helping me to follow my path because I asked him to and I believed. God does not cause the bad either. We do by our own choices. One poster claimed that God has everything preordained but that is not true. He just knows what is in our minds but the power of prayer can make things different.

I think you're inflamed because by existing you're forced to make a choice, and you're angry because nobody gets to be neutral, everybody has to choose which side of the fence they are on.

This is a very good point and could go far in explaining why religion is such a threat to so many.

You answered your own question "Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?"
My answer is no, because I'm an atheist I don't want a bible thumper. Your answer is no, because you want a believer.

It seems we have a few believers on this "bible thumping" thread so it is possible that I might meet a compatible man of faith here who lives close enough to develop a relationship with. Prayers.
 backcreek7
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2019 1:25:06 PM
... I am just glad ~ I'm not one of the bugs or insects that lives less then say > 10 minutes, for discussion sake . I feel we humans are no more or less important say, then a nine minute of life gnat . All life is important & has its purpose & granted, we humans have evolved into an intelligent species, which may or may not continue til' " SHOWTIME " > col.

... I'm thinkin' He / She ( God ) has left us here to our own designs, WHY show up or meddle in any way when, the end result may already be known ? Not only that but, the nine minute gnat may end up being the solution, to the end of all cancers & man may end up destroying himself and everything else .

... Then the nine minute gnat will be ruling the food chain, if there is any ( tear ) But most likely > the nine minute gnat & an ant colony or several, will survive most anything. So , it all may possibly begin again ~ and there is the probability " it's " still going on all over the f-in universe (s) < so that is good news !!!

^^^Thank you for listening, I think it's wonderful that ALL sides ( like my beyond bizarre speculation ) may be heard. And I am real sure ( in fact positive ) > this is Shirleys desire as well ...

... With the utmost respect, for every persons view here ...
... heart / all views / sun ...
... S ...
 Igotthisalso
Msg: 256
Posted: 4/6/2019 2:12:24 PM
There is no hell. It's a made up story. Recently walked through the museum of natural history in nyc. So many peoples the world over. So many Gods. So much arrogance among the abrahamic religions that they are the enlightened ones. Total, unmitigated nonsense.

And no bk, a gnat's life does not have the same value as a higher, more complex animal, certainly not the value of a good human. That is ridiculous thinking. Do you think a gnat has self awareness? A soul?
 backcreek7
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2019 5:17:49 PM

that is ridiculous thinking

^^^ No more ridiculous then thinking a gnatlike insect, could eventually evolve or mutate into a higher organism, if given the correct time span and conditions. I believe there are billions upon billions of universes, billions upon billions of solar systems, billions upon billions of suns, billion upon billions of planets & billions upon billions of species all competing to be the first intelligent life form, to go from a physical being to a pure energy source.

....... And there may be billions upon billions of gnatlike creatures, that we " only " think ~ have dead ended their genetic make- up, and cannot ( or is not capable of ) forming into an intelligent being. No-one knows what kind of lifeforms are existing in the vast petri-dish of space. As for a soul ? Although I recently learned from a friend, that there is a measured form of electrical energy of some sort, that leaves the body upon death. < Might that be considered a soul ? I'm not certain we can absolutely prove this a human soul at the present time.

....... In addition, as far as comparing any type of value to anything ~ I think this is only relative, if we know what the ultimate destination and purpose of the organism is . And it may be valid to say, one human beings thought of value is anothers , thought of a pesky little bug that needs to be stepped on, col .

... heart / gnatlike creature / sun ...
 FFS38
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2019 7:21:53 PM

no bk, a gnat's life does not have the same value as a higher, more complex animal, certainly not the value of a good human. That is ridiculous thinking. Do you think a gnat has self awareness? A soul?

C'mon, give the guy a break will ya, he already explained that he's only putting his point of view into the pot, you may not agree with it but no need to shoot somebody down for it as we can often draw conclusions from collective opinions. It's not one I necessarily share but no harm in it being heard. If everybody had the same point of view then it would be a very one dimensional world.

Do you think a gnat has self awareness? A soul?

And how can you gnow a gnat doesn't?

Recently walked through the museum of natural history in nyc.

Shouldn't that be gnatural history museum in gnc?
 spectravision
Msg: 259
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2019 8:28:15 PM
Maybe the gnat in a Parallel Universe is The Almighty.
 Igotthisalso
Msg: 260
Posted: 4/7/2019 5:36:36 AM
Bk, then you can never drive. One day on the highway and your windshield could take out thousands of bugs. You would be a mass murderer by your own definition. And eating vegetables and fruits? Guilty of conspiracy to commit mass murder by killing the bugs that might eat that fruit. You should be locked up along with the birds that eat those bugs indiscriminately. Shame on you killing gods creatures. Gnats have mothers too you know.
 Seamist474
Msg: 261
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2019 7:54:24 AM
"Gnats have mothers too you know."

Some of you "old" folks know that I buried by husband, he was 55 (heart attack). The year before that I buried my oldest son, he was 33 (drowned).

The two friends, a couple, that got me through these two deaths ended up burying their youngest son a few months after my husband died, their son was 28 (snow skiing, he was ski patrol doing a rescue). Three years ago the husband in the couple died at 72, heart attack. I got word last night that their remaining child, a son age 41, died (electrocuted at their cottage). This son leaves behind a wife, 6 year old daughter and 3 year old son.

There is no fcking god. All gods were created by men. All hundreds of gods are created by men. No different that the creators of Homer Simpson or Batman - all creations.

Going on 20,000 days of not believing in a man made god.
 Inicia
Msg: 262
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2019 7:56:56 AM
i get the TIC humor. However, having a lack of respect for all or any life is the HEIGHT HYPOCRISY . To claim "human's superiority" is ridiculous. Every form of life offers benefits to our home planet. Indeed, a superior "soul", from whence, with greed, we feed, gluttonous and lustful, proud of controlling every other soulless "low Life" . Our(that) philosophy has brought us to our current status.

To believe our aggressive hostility to the natural world is ''superior" to "lower" life forms,: Which sustain symbiotic homeostasis in absence of our superior presence based existence .. i guess meek inferior beings like a gnat(seriously harmless gnats ,who in short span of life become prolific and a "problem" existence; in only, prolific brilliant humans attempts to prevent/ avoid dealing, with our burdensome extreme waste. The stupid worthless gnats, providing a necessary correction, initiating the the natural process, we superiorly chose to control and contain we aren't barbarians/animals after all, smell our own shit, god forbid) while insignificant soulless and inferior know and live with a wisdom surpassing the highest human.

better do a soul check find the origin of it, two sides to every coin. give to caesar what is his. figure it out tic-tock, the waters pouring , you got a glass to fill? where did you get it? never mind its fullness quality.. that debate is so over!
Posted: 4/7/2019 9:00:27 AM

Jesus was seen by many, many people in those times and some documented his teachings and miracles and apostles were appointed to continue spreading the Word.

Source?

It is not God's designated punishment but his warning that we go to Hell

Let me ask you a question. Is there anything in this world any of your children could do that would make you want to set them on fire? If not, why worship a being who allegedly has this desire upon its own children for merely not believing in a far-fetched and unproven concept? A jealous, petty, egomaniacal, and bloodthirsty "God" is deserving of your worship? If you're incapable of committing this horrible act on your own children, doesn't this make you more moral than your "God"?

Only a generation after WW11, there are those who would deny the Holocaust yet we know it to be true. One day, there will be those who say that the horror of native residential schooling never existed. All because anyone who actually saw or experienced these things are no longer alive as witnesses.

Photo and video evidence is the major difference here.
 Igotthisalso
Msg: 264
Posted: 4/7/2019 9:19:04 AM
Inicia, I suppose if we are Ssuming bugs have souls and equal human beings in value, why not plants...which begs the point, how do we eat without destroying other entities equal to ourselves, which is everything carbon based or organic.

The holocaust has not only video testimony and photos, but physical evidence and some still alive who lived through it. When it comes to jesus or God, zero evidence, thousands of years of hearsay and inference upon inference, not to mention utterly ridiculous, contradictory and illogical writings in the holy books.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2019 9:54:20 AM
Msg: 263

"Is there anything in this world any of your children could do that would make you want to set them on fire?"

The opperative word here is "want".

For example....

If I set the punishment of murder as death by fire....for all my children and one intentionally kills another....do I give the one who murdered a pass? What does that say about my love for both children?

There is nothing my children could do that would ever make me love them less...but if they break the law with foreknowledge and intent....they must own the consequence.

But I do not want or desire that they "die by fire"....so I work very hard to give them the basis in which to make good choices. :)
 Igotthisalso
Msg: 266
Posted: 4/7/2019 10:14:05 AM
^^^^^so you have no qualms about your kids exercising their free will and not believing and their consequently suffering eternity in the pits of hell? That is justice from a loving God? Sure thing. How do you know you are not actually worshiping Satan?
 backcreek7
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2019 10:38:40 AM

they must own the consequence

^^^ a loving mother, stating a sad but necessary > god given truth ^^^

maybe the gnat in a Parallel Universe is the Almighty

^^^ yeah yeah !!!! What he ^^^ said, col ... Love the way you think, my friend !!!!

gnats have mothers too, you know ~ you should be locked up along with the birds

^^^ Welp !! Then I would be a bird of a different feather, but still > I & they > would flock together, laugh !

..... Each and everyday, I thank many factors ~ for the way my life has turned out. I do not take this, or anything else for granted. And yes, things can be worse and often are for many of us. I realize this, and act accordingly, by helping others in my own particular way. I also > thank God ( not necessarily the religious one ) for every moment of happiness He / She has allowed me to experience. Saying that I have been blessed, is a gross understatement > much of this I attribute to my great country, the greatest country there has ever been ~ since the beginning of time ....

....................................................... THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ....................................................................
... heart / my country / sun ...
 Igotthisalso
Msg: 268
Posted: 4/7/2019 10:50:55 AM
^^^another myth, that the USA is the greatest country in the world. Only for the winners. This country offers nothing for far too many, a stress filled home for the struggling filled with the ignorant and the psychotic. Give me Norway or the Scandinavian countries any day of the week.
 backcreek7
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2019 11:27:25 AM
... ^^ You are welcome to leave for Norway at any time, but move fast ~ so the door doesn't hit you on the a-ss, on the way out ^^

... lmao ! ...
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 270
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2019 11:29:26 AM
Msg:266

^^^^so you have no qualms about your kids exercising their free will and not believing and their consequently suffering eternity in the pits of hell?

---Free will comes with a price.

That is justice from a loving God?

----Imo, God is not seeking justice and His loving nature is evidenced by Jesus. :)

Msg: 268

"Give me Norway or the Scandinavian countries any day of the week."

What is preventing your residence there?
 Inicia
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2019 3:06:24 PM
Well I was on a roll, was all fired up over things that comrades shared. Unfortunately That's all dead because, I had to edit Intel-for ease and brevity.it became mush, and lukewarm, getting spit out, hotter or colder, you hearing anything, getting a rise or drop in energy?equivalent values to the cycle of life/death and all the contributing, necessary spokes to perpetuate natural/divine stability ceasing the circumcision of flesh/fleshly life btw this hell fire faith are beaten dogs returning to the pharisees' yeast filled vomit of faith that fail to understand what messiah is.
btw if you feel comfort knowing god is purposeful. please as a christian do not share these feeling to be adopted by the one you attempt to offer Christian compassion . Is not the time Or the event for an opportunity to show your obligations or reaffirm your membership contract with religion, or the religious ideology you have adopted.
 Inicia
Msg: 272
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2019 3:48:00 PM
all are blessed, named usa with any boundaries, or naming any other boundaries all these lands have been here since before the beginning of ourtime, blessed by sharing it gogether; prosper. i do not suffer any tragedy by my own hand as i walk free on this land, i may be harmless as a gnat, but i would kill a gnat, and can understand the choices of my own hand.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2019 5:53:11 PM
Heaven and Hell are both here on this earth. Folks now alive, are living both.... By luck of birth.

Especially when you realize there are people starving and dying from lack of foodand clean water... And there are also folks who are experiencing everything money can buy and are living lives free from want and who are indeed living.... Heaven on earth.

Both happening here and now. Just something I've noticed and again... Yes..... All ideas can be combined . Christianity and the phenomena called POF too.... IMHO....

Realization is the first step.... Keep eyes, ears and minds open.

Again a opinion... Much like this entire post [smile].
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2019 9:01:09 PM
Message #256

There is no hell. It's a made up story.

Do you think a gnat has self awareness? A soul?

How can one believe that hell is a made up story and yet ask if a gnat has a soul? Both hell and soul are biblical terms.

Message #261
I am truly sorry for your loss and also those of your friends and all here who have suffered the devastating loss of a loved one but God does not cause those deaths. Death happens, tragically. Photo and video evidence is the major difference here.

Message #263

Photo and video evidence is the major difference here.

So then accounts of history before photography is not true in spite of other physical evidence? There is actual evidence to support the Bible that you can read about online.

Message #271

btw if you feel comfort knowing god is purposeful. please as a christian do not share these feeling to be adopted by the one you attempt to offer Christian compassion

This was the purpose of the original post and stated as such.

Message #273

Yes..... All ideas can be combined . Christianity and the phenomena called POF too.... IMHO....

It certainly seems so. The interchange of ideas is amazing.

I would strongly recommend Ravi Zachariah to anyone who wants to listen to a true and very learned Christian.

End of Day 47!
Posted: 4/8/2019 4:01:24 AM

But I do not want or desire that they "die by fire"....:)

Right, but the alleged "God" *does* harbor this desire, which is utterly despicable. Now, before anyone wants to defend this with the typical "but he's beyond our understanding/he works in mysterious ways"/'you can't judge God by human standards", let me ask..

Why is it Christians will speak endlessly on their Bible-based understanding of "God", but will suddenly play the "Oh, but wait!!! He's actually beyond our understanding card when posed with a difficult question they can't answer? Talk about a flip-flop of epic proportions.

How is their claim this being is wonderful and loving any less based on ''limited human understanding" than that of a non-believer claiming this alleged "God's" behavior is that of a bloodthirsty tyrant? Let's also keep in mind this being is allegedly "omnipotent", which leaves it capable of solving matters in an incalculable number of ways of its own choosing, yet seems to have a penchant for grotesque violence.

This being created everyone with "limited understanding", but wants to burn anyone who may not believe as a result of this limitation/handicap?? We are expected to have faith in and believe in something we aren't equipped to comprehend? Astounding.

It seems we have a few believers on this "bible thumping" thread so it is possible that I might meet a compatible man of faith here who lives close enough to develop a relationship with. Prayers.

Ah, yes. Prayers. Interestingly, Matthew 21:22 22 specifically states: "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."
Unfortunately, we all know this to be untrue, and anyone who believes the untruths end there, please read the Bible front to back.

There is actual evidence to support the Bible that you can read about online.

"Evidence to support the Bible" is a rather vague claim. Can you point me in the direction of this "evidence" along with precisely what it pertains to and save me from having to comb the internet for it?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?