Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FFS38
Msg: 276
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 12 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
^^Jesus rocks! I'm sure Jesus would have been a metalhead if metal had been invented then. It surprises me that a lot of my friends with hair of a certain length hold a similar view to yours and deny his teachings

Let me ask you a question. Is there anything in this world any of your children could do that would make you want to set them on fire?

If they had committed an unforgivable act I guess I would consider it.
Let us not forget that God gave up his only begotten son like a lamb to the slaughter so that we might be saved.
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 4/8/2019 5:03:56 AM

Let us not forget that God gave up his only begotten son like a lamb to the slaughter so that we might be saved.

Define "gave up". Like a lamb to slaughter so that we might be saved? This was the omnipotent "God's" best plan?? Create flawed beings, then hold *them* accountable for being flawed and bring violence into the equation as a grandiose solution?

And God so loved the world, he killed his only son to show us what he's capable of when he's pissed off at himself for making a mistake and wishes to take it out on his creation!
 FFS38
Msg: 278
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 5:25:27 AM

Define "gave up". Like a lamb to slaughter so that we might be saved? This was the omnipotent "God's" best plan?? Create flawed beings, then hold *them* accountable for being flawed and bring violence into the equation as a grandiose solution?

Well the condition we're in now wasn't the state that we were originally in.
We were given one instruction only and that was to not eat from the tree of life, but we chose to ignore that. That gave us awareness, perhaps so much awareness that we decided that we are God's now and therefore deny him.
 Igotthisalso
Msg: 279
Posted: 4/8/2019 6:07:05 AM
"What is preventing your residence there"

Too late for me but not my kids. They see what 40% of this country is made of. The Trump loving portion, which means people who have no issue with his despicable character, mental illness, lack of integrity, empathy, compassion or class, and complete concern only for himself. People who think it's okay to separate children from their parents at the border. It makes me sick to think he is so much what this country is about. If my kids move there, I would be very happy for them.

People who worship Trump are worshipers of Satan not a loving God. So very telling that so many trump supporters have no problem with the concept of suffering eternity in hell.
 Igotthisalso
Msg: 280
Posted: 4/8/2019 6:13:04 AM
"""We were given one instruction only and that was to not eat from the tree of life, but we chose to ignore that."""

What a stupid idea that people believe in. Let's see, God created a man with a lust for juicy apples and then punishes them and all of their descendants for eating one. Its like my commanding my dog not to bark and then beating her when he does and her puppies too. And untold millions buy into this garbage? What does that really say about people?
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 281
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 7:08:36 AM

21 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.
New International Version (NIV)

Perhaps one should not take a verse out of context. It is human nature to doubt. Jesus did not.

"Evidence to support the Bible" is a rather vague claim. Can you point me in the direction of this "evidence" along with precisely what it pertains to and save me from having to comb the internet for it?

If you are truly interested then you will "comb the internet for it" as I do, rather than try to create a forum for argument.

This being created everyone with "limited understanding", but wants to burn anyone who may not believe as a result of this limitation/handicap?? We are expected to have faith in and believe in something we aren't equipped to comprehend?

Again....hell is God's warning, not his desire. He has provided us with the means to believe and billions worldwide, do.
As per your own suggestion, you should perhaps......

please read the Bible front to back.

It truly is a work of amazing proportion.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 282
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 7:13:34 AM

We were given one instruction only and that was to not eat from the tree of life, but we chose to ignore that. That gave us awareness, perhaps so much awareness that we decided that we are God's now and therefore deny him.

....and change His rules.
 Igotthisalso
Msg: 283
Posted: 4/8/2019 7:50:52 AM
How the bible belittles the almighty creator of an unimaginably large universe with untold trillions of stars and planets. That he would concern himself with what the Infinitesimally small man thinks about or believes.
 FFS38
Msg: 284
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 8:17:25 AM

How the bible belittles the almighty creator of an unimaginably large universe with untold trillions of stars and planets. That he would concern himself with what the Infinitesimally small man thinks about or believes.

Please, let's not get into discussing gnat's again, where the gnat is king lol.

I'm not sure the size thing is relevant here. WE may not be able to understand why other planets aren't populated but that doesn't mean they don't serve some other purpose.
Seems a loose argument to claim God doesn't exist just because we are a tiny part of the universe, if all the other planets were populated would you believe then?
 Igotthisalso
Msg: 285
Posted: 4/8/2019 8:54:23 AM
What makes you think other planets are not populated. Given the mathematically huge numbers, it seems certain that there are other civilizations out there. Where do you think God came from? He just was?
 FFS38
Msg: 286
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 9:26:48 AM

What makes you think other planets are not populated. Given the mathematically huge numbers, it seems certain that there are other civilizations out there. Where do you think God came from? He just was?

Perhaps beyond our comprehension my friend, beyond the limits of human understanding, for all we know maybe you just answered your own question, he just was?

As far as other planets having life, so far space exploration has provided no evidence for that.
 backcreek7
Msg: 287
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 11:05:44 AM

Where do you think God came from ? He just was ?

^^^ Ahh, I think you hit it right on the head !!! God just was & is . In other words, the very existence of TIME is based upon ( the big bang ) - it is what determines when our birth, life and death occur. IF ( & this is possibly a big if ) there is no such thing as " time " in Gods world, then being born may have never occurred. God may be an entity, that sheer human thought, cannot perceive of. Does this mean God does not exist possibly ? < Not in my thoughts, as the minds of we humans only perceive things from our own slant < this being one limited by our history, the universes history, sheer mortality, make - up and desires.

People who worship Trump are worshippers of Satan

... ^^^ First of all, I don't " worship " anything . Someone here ^^^ has allowed their hate, to overcome their sanity, congratulations ! ^^^

But I would kill a gnat

... ^^^ No problemo sweetheart, the ones were swattin' now are nothin' but pesky, annoying little critters. They don't have the brain, God gave a slug ! It is the ones that will survive, that may evolve into something wondrous, who is to say ? God maybe ?

... heart / GOD loves a gnat / sun ...
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 288
Posted: 4/8/2019 11:09:46 AM
Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that some of these people who don't believe in God are using passages from a book they consider fiction to disprove the existence of God.

Yes some passages contradict each other because The Bible was written by more than one person. Each would interpret things differently and that's when their opinions would become part of their writing. Later these different interpretations become the ideology of countries which led to Religious Wars. French Wars of Religion, catholics and Huguenots. Thirty Years' War, catholic and Protestants.

Likewise these interpretations determined how the people of the Americas were treated when they were encountered. The Spanish decimated the Aztecs even though they were welcomed with open arms and did this to so many peoples in the Americas all in the name of God. The British, French and The Netherlands did not (maybe a few?) though there were wars. I haven't a clue how the Portuguese treated the peoples they met.

Remember all of Europe was catholic until 1517 when Martin Luther wrote his "Ninty-five theses" because he interpreted The Bible differently.
 Seamist474
Msg: 289
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 11:46:27 AM

Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that some of these people who don't believe in God are using passages from a book they consider fiction to disprove the existence of God.

Yes some passages contradict each other because The Bible was written by more than one person. Each would interpret things differently and that's when their opinions would become part of their writing. Later these different interpretations become the ideology of countries which led to Religious Wars. French Wars of Religion, catholics and Huguenots. Thirty Years' War, catholic and Protestants.

Likewise these interpretations determined how the people of the Americas were treated when they were encountered. The Spanish decimated the Aztecs even though they were welcomed with open arms and did this to so many peoples in the Americas all in the name of God. The British, French and The Netherlands did not (maybe a few?) though there were wars. I haven't a clue how the Portuguese treated the peoples they met.

Remember all of Europe was catholic until 1517 when Martin Luther wrote his "Ninty-five theses" because he interpreted The Bible differently.

Totally nailed it. A book written by men to control and oppress mankind. The bible should be in bookstores and libraries along with other science fiction books or self help books.

Interpretation - exactly. Every one for years has "interpreted" and changed the bible along the way to fit their own narrative.

Its a book, created by men, no different than a book written by Stephen King or Agatha Christie J.K. Rowling.
Posted: 4/8/2019 12:13:39 PM

Perhaps one should not take a verse out of context. It is human nature to doubt. Jesus did not.

Out of context? In what regard?

He has provided us with the means to believe and billions worldwide, do.

What does billions believing have to do with anything? You're walking into bandwagon fallacy territory there.

Again....hell is God's warning, not his desire.

What?? This makes not a single iota of sense. If the ''believe or burn" stipulation was willingly implemented by "God", yes, it is most certainly his "desire". How exactly do you define the word?

If you are truly interested then you will "comb the internet for it" as I do, rather than try to create a forum for argument.

You haven't clarified what you meant by "evidence to support the Bible". Do we have evidence that Gods exist? No, we most certainly do not, and it's not debatable. The Bible is a claim, not evidence. If we had this "evidence" you speak of, it would make "faith" unnecessary, wouldn't it??

you should perhaps......
please read the Bible front to back.

I've made it abundantly clear I studied it in school for over 10 years, and I've got very compelling "evidence to support the fact I did. I also noticed you opted not to answer many of the other questions I raised. It's ok, though. I understand.
 FFS38
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 2:17:27 PM

Do we have evidence that Gods exist? No, we most certainly do not, and it's not debatable. The Bible is a claim, not evidence. If we had this "evidence" you speak of, it would make "faith" unnecessary, wouldn't it??

Let's look at this a different way, you probably have faith that tomorrow will come, but do you have evidence? No because it's simply not available at the present time, and this is where science can only provide an explanation on what is able to be currently observed.
Just because something can't be scientifically observed or proven doesn't mean it isn't real.
I can't see my emotions without a mirror but I know they're real, I've been in love, I can't taste it, touch it, I can't show it to you, but I know it's there.
 Igotthisalso
Msg: 292
Posted: 4/8/2019 2:38:00 PM
^^^^^you misapprehend evidence. Evidence need never be to an absolute certainty, and yet from a scientific point of view and understanding of tomorrow, we know tomorrow will happen to about as high a probability as could be measured. Belief in a God or Gods cannot even be speculated on because speculation requires some evidence and there is as little credible evidence of a God or gods as can be quantified.
 FFS38
Msg: 293
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 4:09:04 PM

Every one for years has "interpreted" and changed the bible along the way to fit their own narrative.

Of course throughout history MEN have changed all kinds of things to suit their own narrative, when people gain power there is always opportunity to abuse that power, that is nothing to do with God, that is man.

Its a book, created by men, no different than a book written by Stephen King or Agatha Christie J.K. Rowling.

Whether you believe in God or not the Bible is the most important piece of literature written, a very complex work, that's why many scholars have devoted their lives to transcribing and attempting to understand it, a massive work that requires more than a casual glance, or some commonly taken out of context quotes (that have been passed down from generation to generation), to ascertain what lies in it's pages.
 Seamist474
Msg: 294
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 4:29:40 PM

Whether you believe in God or not the Bible is the most important piece of literature written, a very complex work, that's why many scholars have devoted their lives to transcribing and attempting to understand it, a massive work that requires more than a casual glance, or some commonly taken out of context quotes (that have been passed down from generation to generation), to ascertain what lies in it's pages.

Yet a bunch of dudes with a 4 year theology degree or who learned at their father's pulpit are out there telling people what to do, how to live their lives and interpreting "god's words", yet god never wrote a word - men did. Uneducated men.

Of course throughout history MEN have changed all kinds of things to suit their own narrative, when people gain power there is always opportunity to abuse that power, that is nothing to do with God, that is man.

So why do so many followers take men's word as gospel? Men, and women, have been dictating to people their narrative from pulpits for eons. And the "faithful" follow along blindly. No one on here is a scholar, no one has devoted years of their lives attempting to understand it - they take pap from the pulpit or read it themselves and make it up as they go along.

The bible has everything to do with man and not god, man's interpretation of what they think god did or said.

BTW, even Las Vegas bookies will take bets that there will be a tomorrow, just because of what we see, what we know, there is proof of today and yesterday so odds are, we will have a tomorrow. There is no god, other than the one created by a bunch of men.
 backcreek7
Msg: 295
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 7:06:17 PM

backcreek said > " Does this mean God does not exist possibly, not in my thoughts"

^^^ What I meant by this is that, in my mind > God ( the creator, supreme being, big Kahuna ) >>> in my op , " something " cannot come from nothing. My poor wittle dried up bwain just keeps on a tellin' me " something " very unusual, has created a fishbowl like place, for what purpose > I do not know ? So for the good, or for the bad, or for the ugly > we are all here together.

... After saying all that ^ " anyones " thoughts, ideas ,visions, guesses, religious or supernatural thoughts are worth listening and debating to. What I do object to, is anyone who would ridicule, demonize, scoff at, or HATE on someone who believed in something. The same with someone seeking a better life by following, what they thought was best for them . I think it is safe to say though > there is not much wiggle room for those that believe & those that don't. You either believe and live your life that way, or you feel religion is some kind of a hoax. In addition, it is true that there has been much bloodshed , mayhem & death associated with it. Just goes to show you, religion is a touchy and volatile talking point, to say the least ...

... heart / sun ..
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 296
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2019 9:57:56 PM

Very good point, Rise.

It's utterly fascinating how many people reject God's Word even having been presented with the miracle of the Bible's structure, survival, integration, historical veracity, archaeological evidence, scientific insights, outside corroborating records, and hundreds of fulfilled prophecies. When analyzed alongside other ancient historical writings, people are very eager to discredit the Bible before any other. The critical double standard is obvious. Why are so many so threatened?
Posted: 4/8/2019 10:04:18 PM

Let's look at this a different way, you probably have faith that tomorrow will come, but do you have evidence? I can't see my emotions without a mirror but I know they're real, I've been in love, I can't taste it, touch it, I can't show it to you, but I know it's there.

I have *trust* tomorrow will come. Why? Because I've experienced literally thousands of tomorrows. Emotions are a response to chemical changes in the brain, which can be seen via CAT scan or measured in the blood.

There is nothing virtuous about faith. It is intellectual laziness at its finest, and it has never been nor will ever be a path to truth. It's a point where one stops looking for truth. They give up, and they accept an assertion that simply feels good/appeals to their emotions. As I mentioned earlier, believers never rely on "faith" in the pursuit of truth in matters outside of religion. Ever. I guess they don't have enough faith in faith to do that, eh??

a very complex work

Complexity does not equal evidence.

You know, I also can't understand why believers have such an issue with non-believers. Do believers not realize they're just as guilty of dismissing Gods as atheists are, they simply make an exception for one? Perhaps they need to take this into consideration before they start subscribing to their own sanctimony.
Posted: 4/8/2019 10:17:20 PM

It's utterly fascinating how many people reject God's Word even having been presented with the miracle of the Bible's structure, survival, integration, historical veracity, archaeological evidence, scientific insights, outside corroborating records, and hundreds of fulfilled prophecies. When analyzed alongside other ancient historical writings, people are very eager to discredit the Bible before any other. The critical double standard is obvious.

I'm still waiting on some examples from you. Do you not have faith in what you can provide??

Why are so many so threatened?

Threatened?? You have been threatened by a BOOK into believing in the existence of a "God". Truth needs not threaten or demand belief.

It. Doesn't. Have. To.
 FFS38
Msg: 299
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 1:44:25 AM

I have *trust* tomorrow will come. Why? Because I've experienced literally thousands of tomorrows.

That is the same as *faith*, unless you can provide evidence that tomorrow will come.

You have *trust* that tomorrow will come because you've seen so many tomorrows? Below I've replaced the word *faith* with *trust*...see how it reads.

What about those that have *trust* in God's word, and in their hearts know he'll answer their prayers and provide guidance as he has done so many times before, or does that not count?
Posted: 4/9/2019 4:59:39 AM

That is the same as *faith*, unless you can provide evidence that tomorrow will come.

There are many usages for both terms, but in the context we're speaking of, faith is often applied in the absence of compelling evidence, while trust can be a revocable willingness to believe on the basis of evidence. I've been provided with evidence of tomorrows occurring, therefore, my trust was earned.

What about those that have *trust* in God's word, and in their hearts know he'll answer their prayers

Is there anyone who can honestly claim their every prayer has been answered?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?