Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FFS38
Msg: 301
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 13 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)

Is there anyone who can honestly claim their every prayer has been answered?

Interesting that you used the word 'every'.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 302
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 4/9/2019 9:49:23 AM

There is nothing virtuous about faith. It is intellectual laziness at its finest, and it has never been nor will ever be a path to truth. It's a point where one stops looking for truth. They give up, and they accept an assertion that simply feels good/appeals to their emotions. As I mentioned earlier, believers never rely on "faith" in the pursuit of truth in matters outside of religion. Ever. I guess they don't have enough faith in faith to do that, eh??

Really. How would you know?

What makes you think other planets are not populated. Given the mathematically huge numbers, it seems certain that there are other civilizations out there. Where do you think God came from? He just was?

Yes, he just was. Perhaps I am too new in my Bible knowledge to have formulated a different opinion but I have always thought that it is very possible that life exists on other planets. God is all powerful. Why not? When God created "the heavens and the earth", who is to say that earth does not also exist elsewhere? A handful of sand on the moon is still sand. There are those who say that I cannot believe in the story of creation if I also believe in evolution? Seems very logical to me that the Bible's seven days could actually be 7 billion years? I'm learning. Give me time but it is not that important to me. My life exists in the here and now and I am content in my faith for the ever after.

Is there anyone who can honestly claim their every prayer has been answered?

I have faith that even when my prayers don't go my way, that God has answered them in His.

I'm still waiting on some examples from you. Do you not have faith in what you can provide??

I have directed you to the Bible to find your own examples because I am not a theologian. There are also many You Tube documentaries on the subject of Christianity. I would recommend Ravi Zachariah. An amazing very learned man. I stated from the first post in this thread that I would not be drawn into an argument about faith or Atheism versus Christianity. I can share my own experiences, my faith and my own limited knowledge as a Christian but I am not qualified to debate God's existence. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to think I am although I too had more than 15 years of the study of the Bible.

I like the "tomorrow" discussion. While I may have had thousands of tomorrows in our lives, I cannot totally trust that tomorrow will come for me nor can anyone guarantee a tomorrow. It is only just likely that it will occur.

I don't feel "threatened" by the Bible as non-believers seem to be nor am I threatened by non-believers who attack the Bible, God and the Christian and I simply continue to state my personal right to faith.

DAY 49 without a doubt in my faith or more than a passing thought about alcohol. I never would have imagined that I could do this. I call it my miracle.
 tomstar
Msg: 303
Posted: 4/9/2019 10:48:48 AM
Per Richard Dawkins:

"Faith is the great cop-out,the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is the belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence"
 Inicia
Msg: 304
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 12:55:43 PM
Truth vs Fact:
personal perception expression of valid veracity: vs tangible reality
faith:
non tangible belief in personal chosen valid veracity
Cop-out:
apathy or disinterest
excuse:
desire to alleviate negative consequences of actions

belief faith in truth of a punitive seeing eye that sends, the unforgiving, merciless, uncompassionate, uncharitable, indifferent, etc unwilling to spread brotherly love to burn for eternity doesn't seem so much a cop out to effecting personal and world change.

however faith in SCIENCE: i know that's not faith, we seek evidence with science, by its failure, in evidence shows it is an equal faith, in an intangible unachievable success': but the hope, prayer(seek)ng a science, that places limits upon the misunderstood brain, and humanity to continue as we are, only accepting resp, for our proven 'limited capabilities, tech advancements, institutional proven corrupt social systems, our failure change to understand, repair proves the delusional faith , in a mythological scientific reality.
Excuse:COP OUT?faith, evidence , prayer, investigation, experiments? cure cancer? end hunger, end war? show me the proof of this science in which We pray to? in whence we draw lines boundaries between divine and natural, dreams and realities?
 backcreek7
Msg: 305
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 12:57:14 PM
" Faith is the great cop - out "

... ^^^ bulls*hit ^^^ ..

... Religious faith is the belief and trust in, a loyalty to God. Although the term faith implies with it, the fact that there is no concrete proof of something, this does not rule out that truth may be present as well. Faith also displays a confidence and strong conviction that " something " does exist, and that a personal confidence has been achieved. There are many things in life that are not totally provable, but that many believe in strongly. A provable faith may be > " I have strong faith " in my spouses opinions and actions ~ the proof lies in the actions demonstrated within a couples relationship together. When the term faith is applied to a religious belief, it simply means to me - the person trusts and believes in the " concept " & general teachings of the Bible. In my opinion, those that denounce all faith as a cop - out ~ denounce the very core, which makes us who we are ...

... heart / faith / sun ...
 FFS38
Msg: 306
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 1:23:15 PM

Faith is the belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

In order to maintain the highest quality forums you are restricted to having no more then 2 of the last 10 posts on a thread.
Since 2 of the last 10 posts are yours you can not post to this thread
 statfa
Msg: 307
Posted: 4/9/2019 1:41:24 PM
^^^ Maybe not, but most of us would not jump off a cliff just because there is no evidence we will be hurt.....look you can convince yourself of anything you want. Could there be a God given no evidence? Sure. The question is though what are the probabilities of there being a God. Would you bet your life on a one percent chance of anything happening? I doubt it..unless you had no other options.
 statfa
Msg: 308
Posted: 4/9/2019 1:44:51 PM
Religious belief is based on a conspiracy theory. No evidence to back it up, but people are convinced anyway..just like they believe that the earth is flat.

Faith is meaningless. Would you have brain surgery by your plumber because you had faith he would do it right? Strong convictions, confidence, in something does not make it true. Only truth is true. And we only know what is true based on reasonable evidence. Sorry. Really not hard to understand.
 statfa
Msg: 309
Posted: 4/9/2019 1:49:34 PM
Btw, the moderators and I are in a ferocious struggle. They are doing everything the can to prevent me from posting. I am fighting back though...so far I am winning...but..I will limit myself to one series of posts per day from this point forward, to sacrifice only one profile per day.

The moderators are actually doing me a favor...I should find better things to do with my time.

Thanks moderators... and we do miss your posts and the pretty colors you use. The prettiest posts ever on POF.

Trolloata signing out? :-)
 spectravision
Msg: 310
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 2:52:49 PM
^^ They're likely just not all that bothered about completely blocking you to be fair.
 statfa
Msg: 311
Posted: 4/9/2019 3:08:25 PM
^^^^ yea....not being all that bothered would be an understatement. Actually, they must be snoozin about now or this profile would have been gone by now.

Believe me, they have done everything to block me that they could. Even so much as requiring phone verification when I created new profiles from particular local public IPs... for which I found an easy get around.

Not sure why they have it in for me given how lovable I am....but I've been going through this for years now...Most people when deleted quietly fade away. That's not in my nature though so here I am.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 312
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 3:34:49 PM
"Would you have brain surgery by your plumber because you had faith he would do it right? Strong convictions, confidence, in something does not make it true. Only truth is true. And we only know what is true based on reasonable evidence. Sorry. Really not hard to understand."

I trust scientists to explain to me how a rainbow occurs in the sky....but not why it is beautiful. :)
 spectravision
Msg: 314
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 4:26:30 PM
^^ You had to go and mention rainbow. Get some drugs and enjoy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUar1UbeIJs
 Seamist474
Msg: 315
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 6:58:38 PM

I trust scientists to explain to me how a rainbow occurs in the sky....but not why it is beautiful. :)

I trust a scientist to explain rainbows to me too and I'd expect them to say "wow, how beautiful", just like I do. What I don't expect scientists to explain to me is how a rainbow occurs and then follow up the scientific reason with "or and by the way, god did that".

And yes, I know there are scientists that also have faith. Faith comforts many people. Nothing wrong with faith, its just not facts.
 Inicia
Msg: 316
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 7:17:29 PM
Exactly, faith offers a desire to achieve/change/find/make/doesn't matter Whether it is intangible Opening on provable thing like Love Or whether it's a scientific theityLol we'd like to find a real
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 317
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2019 8:56:13 PM
Many people label faith as many things....blind, comforting, an excuse, laziness, ridiculous, a cop-out.....I call it strength.
Posted: 4/10/2019 1:14:54 AM

Really. How would you know?

How would I know what?? I made several points in the paragraph you quoted.

I have faith that even when my prayers don't go my way, that God has answered them in His.

Well, that's just it, they're supposed to go your way according to the Bible, for simply being a believer.

I don't feel "threatened" by the Bible

Let's not sugar coat things here, okay? Your "God" issued a threat, and part of the reason behind your belief is fear. You didn't come into this world with an innate love and belief in "God". You were introduced to it like anyone else via indoctrination.

and I simply continue to state my personal right to faith.

Yes, you have every right to worship any unproven beings you desire, no matter how ghastly they are depicted in the instructional manual for all of humanity, known as the Bible.

I would recommend Ravi Zachariah.

Are you even remotely serious? The man who lied about his credentials and has repeatedly put his foot in his mouth in many of his speeches? I'll pass.

but I am not qualified to debate God's existence.

How can that be when you've taken it upon yourself to inform us of what "God" is and isn't? Will one of you FINALLY explain how one can possibly tell us all about what "God" is and isn't, yet claim he's beyond our understanding from the other side of their mouth when confronted with questions they can't answer? Please. Anyone.
 FFS38
Msg: 319
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2019 1:40:31 AM

Well, that's just it, they're supposed to go your way according to the Bible, for simply being a believer.

I think as far as prayers go it's not a case of ANY prayers being answered (such as asking for riches etc.) more a case of getting help in what you need rather than what you want.
I fail to see why you question the power of prayer when you yourself made a post stating "who can honestly say their EVERY prayer has been answered".
 Seamist474
Msg: 320
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2019 7:28:39 AM
{quote]I think as far as prayers go it's not a case of ANY prayers being answered (such as asking for riches etc.) more a case of getting help in what you need rather than what you want.

I'll remind my friend of that, she prays and is a believer, I'll remind her of that when we bury her son this weekend - she's buried both children and a husband in the last few years. I will tell her "you didn't pray enough" or "you should have prayed for what you needed, not wanted".

The "power of prayer". Geez.
Posted: 4/10/2019 7:50:35 AM

I think as far as prayers go it's not a case of ANY prayers being answered (such as asking for riches etc.) more a case of getting help in what you need rather than what you want.

Really? Where in the Bible is this clarification mentioned?

I fail to see why you question the power of prayer when you yourself made a post stating "who can honestly say their EVERY prayer has been answered".

By the same token, I fail to see why you found the question peculiar. It was actually rhetorical, mind you, because I don't believe anyone can honestly make the claim of having all of their prayers answered, which is contrary to what the Bible says about prayer.
 FFS38
Msg: 322
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2019 7:52:59 AM

I'll remind my friend of that, she prays and is a believer, I'll remind her of that when we bury her son this weekend - she's buried both children and a husband in the last few years. I will tell her "you didn't pray enough" or "you should have prayed for what you needed, not wanted".

The "power of prayer". Geez.

Lol, I sympathise with your friend but we can't control our own mortality, death comes to all of us sooner or later (even Jesus), there's no escaping it, it's a human condition.
By the way I never made no claim that she didn't pray enough or that she should have prayed for what she needed not wanted. If she's a believer then perhaps God is answering her prayers and giving her strength to cope with her loss. Only she can answer this.
Peace. x
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 323
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2019 8:11:21 AM
The force is strong with this one :)
 Inicia
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2019 8:27:08 AM
the overarching and Consistent Understanding offered by any means of biblical interpretation indeed god's will be done..We As humans Have no concept or understanding of that Regardless period...
the spirit Of divine law does not entail with it a promise of any reward . Therefore biblically There are no guarantees Of your heaven or hell or Answered prayers . So living life for a reward provided At the end of our life or during life I would not say is the goal Or guide of the christ ideology, message, but that of a fear based christian theoretical pharisetic corruption. Imho Regards To all
 Inicia
Msg: 325
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2019 8:44:50 AM

Will one of you FINALLY explain how one can possibly tell us all about what "God" is and isn't, yet claim he's beyond our understanding from the other side of their mouth when confronted with questions they can't answer?

To answer The The Posited Question or idea: No- No one can tell The US lest it be God. What Is she/he/it is or not. As just each we individual Can only explain from our standpoint what ;we Are or are not .
We consider love, from such a standpoint, to discuss, talk and share personally our ideology Or concept of (love)God is or is not, Certainly: But no way I can explain my God to another, assuming it is for you, as for me; the same: The height of hubris and arrogance.
it it's never gonna happen .. as with any concept "We can lead a horse to water but we can't make them drink" No Do not drink the kool aid -We each need to decide What our personal water is or colored, sweetened poison. lol

BTW a horse knows when thirsty, if we lead it to water it is not a free horse" it is one we have bridled. put our yoke upon.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?