Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 spectravision
Msg: 326
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 14 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)

The force is strong with this one :)

They are talking about God, Not a Goddess
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 327
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 4/11/2019 8:52:55 AM
DAY 51!!!
Tonight is the annual Gala celebration of Teen Challenge and I am attending. I will see my daughter and rejoice with many others in the recovery and changed lives of so many through this faith based rehabilitation program. I am Facebook friends with several graduates of the program who are now living happy, healthy and productive lives in Jesus Christ and I have such high hopes that my daughter will become and remain one with them. So many relapses....sometimes it is hard to keep faith.
Have a great day all!
P.S. For those who are new to the thread, the original post will explain the meaning of the counting of days.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 328
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2019 9:04:34 AM
Shirley
DAY 51!!!

Well done hen. Best wishes from Auld Reekie (Edinburgh).

Post filler
Tonight is the annual Gala celebration of Teen Challenge and I am attending. I will see my daughter and rejoice with many others in the recovery and changed lives of so many through this faith based rehabilitation program. I am Facebook friends with several graduates of the program who are now living happy, healthy and productive lives in Jesus Christ and I have such high hopes that my daughter will become and remain one with them. So many relapses....sometimes it is hard to keep faith.
Have a great day all!
P.S. For those who are new to the thread, the original post will explain the meaning of the counting of days.
 Inicia
Msg: 329
view profile
History
Posted: 4/11/2019 7:28:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

congratulations!!? yahoo!! blessing relapses mean not return, just a little bump/hump/slip in the walk: not a fall, but falter , not a flaw nor fault-human!!
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 330
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2019 9:55:23 AM
"Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that some of these people who don't believe in God are using passages from a book they consider fiction to disprove the existence of God. "

>>>actually, it makes sense. if a prosecutor in court uses witness testimony to prove an event happened, the defense gets to challenge the witness testimony. and the Bible is certainly witness testimony, amongst other things. if people wish to pass laws based on this witness testimony, or withold certain teachings in public school (say, evolution) or conduct other business on the basis of witness testimony...i think its valid to challenge it.
 Inicia
Msg: 331
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2019 7:00:37 PM
testing artistic literature which has dubious standing as non-fiction-does utilize validity testing of the "facts" presented. however literature has nothing to do with G-d or Divinity .
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 332
Posted: 4/12/2019 8:16:54 PM
Did you bother to read what I said. Those opposed to God believe the bible to be fiction yet use it to attack the existense of God. Fiction isn't allowed in a courtroom. Compare it to something else because a discussion is not a courtroom
 fiendfo
Msg: 333
Posted: 4/13/2019 4:24:01 AM
"""Bible is certainly witness testimony"""

No its not, the Bible is hearsay upon hearsay, written down based on gossip passed from generation to generation. It is proof of nothing other than the contradictory writings of flawed men. Witness testimony is subject to cross-examination to test the credibility of the witness. The supposed witnesses from the Bible are long dead if they ever lived.
Posted: 4/13/2019 7:35:25 AM

Did you bother to read what I said. Those opposed to God believe the bible to be fiction yet use it to attack the existense of God.

Which is to be expected and logical. Christians made the assertion a God exists. Many of them consider the Bible evidence to support the claim. There are claims in the Bible that simply don't coincide with reality. Pointing them out is necessary in the process of attempting to diminish the credibility of a "God" existing.

The non-theist argument is: how can something that appears to be fictional be evidence your God exists?

the Bible is hearsay upon hearsay, written down based on gossip passed from generation to generation. It is proof of nothing other than the contradictory writings of flawed men. Witness testimony is subject to cross-examination to test the credibility of the witness. The supposed witnesses from the Bible are long dead if they ever lived.

Correct, and the majority of scholars agree.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 336
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2019 9:56:18 AM
Day 53! Stay strong sister :)
It’s pointless arguing fact and faith, the two should co-exist
Posted: 4/13/2019 3:14:43 PM

They do co-exist, but faith has never been a reliable path to truth.
 spectravision
Msg: 338
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2019 4:50:35 PM
Only 2 times in my Mothers life she snapped at me

1) I swore at her at 14 years old thinking I was badass and she smacked me across the head with a grill pan. Haha don't fook with a Glaswegian lass that had 7 brothers haha

2) When I questioned her faith by saying god was Full of shit, and to be fair she never shoved it down my throat ever. She was a devout roman catholic.

It has been a control mechanism, but it has also been the core of community in it whole existence leading people on a reasonable path.

Oh and smexy Shirley. Awesome. 5 Months soon, Sweety ;) I nearly typed sweaty lol
 spectravision
Msg: 339
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2019 4:54:38 PM
Religion is great in the correct hands. I ain't no believer but what happens when my faith in myself goes awol. Do drugs? Drink? or Choose God.

Choices...
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 340
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2019 8:53:17 PM

Day 53! Stay strong sister :)

Thank you Roxy!
And you too Mr Speck.

Rise is right actually IMHO.
The Bible is a book based on facts, many of which have been proven however cannot witness on it's own behalf. So a court of law example is a non-issue. The comment by Rise is that non-believers seem to quote the Bible when in their opinion, it is fictional. Why? What is their point? We all know that as a whole, the Bible cannot be definitively proven to be true in all aspects, and a smart Christian will not allow themselves to be drawn into a debate that cannot be won. Our faith is enough. Jesus was here. He died for us and saved us from our sins. The Bible of God's Word helps to ensure that the world will read his message. We only need to believe.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 341
Posted: 4/14/2019 3:20:26 AM
Would it be to much trouble for you peoples to put down the post number your quoting from? It would make it much easier to follow the conversations. Additionally when someone quotes just a sentnce it makes it possible to read the whole post the quaote came from to see if it's taken out of context.. It happened recently on another thread for 4 or 5 posts. A shame it stopped.

The non-theist argument is: how can something that appears to be fictional be evidence your God exists?

If your referencing me, he's not my God Pig. Iwas raised cahtolic until I was 9 or 10 when I discovered the Spanish inquisition which wasn't taught in catholic schools for obvious reasons. It was then I bagan to see that the Bible was a fairy tale / fanatasy novel.

Christians made the assertion a God exists.

Actually it was the Jews. Christians just added something more to believe in and interpret.

There are claims in the Bible that simply don't coincide with reality.

Yes and there are calims by many posters on many threads on many subjects that aren't based on reality. It's a book to be interpreted by induviduals. If a person wants to quote one sentence and take it leterally it's not much of an argument. The way some of these anti's makes realise they will die alone in their parent's vasement succumbing to the paronia caused by mankinds belief in God.

Pointing them out is necessary in the process of attempting to diminish the credibility of a "God" existing.
yes and for many on here they're pathetic attampts to discredit the existence of God. One quote does not an argument make when dealing with the most famous book in western history. The bible contains many contradictory passages but to settle on just one in attempt to disprove God is aughable. Id they were to build on their thoughts it would be meaninful. Basically some of them are saying "this passage is contradictoy so the bible is false"

Remember when chirstianity began it was the leaders who interpretted the bible for people since none of them could read and this went on for more than 1500 years. Now most everyone interprets the Boble in their own way
Posted: 4/14/2019 4:28:58 AM

The bible contains many contradictory passages but to settle on just one in attempt to disprove God is aughable. Id they were to build on their thoughts it would be meaninful. Basically some of them are saying "this passage is contradictoy so the bible is false"

One would think "the perfect word of God" wouldn't contain a single contradictory passage, but hey, yes, there certainly *is* a whole host of others.

Actually it was the Jews. Christians just added something more to believe in and interpret.

I was referring to the people in this thread.

Remember when chirstianity began it was the leaders who interpretted the bible for people since none of them could read and this went on for more than 1500 years. Now most everyone interprets the Boble in their own way

What exactly would be the point of having what is considered the instruction manual for humanity "open to interpretation"? A book filled with blank pages could serve the same purpose. Everyone goes through the inevitable process of "interpreting" what they see, read, or hear, but that doesn't mean proper interpretation doesn't exist. Specific words have specific meanings, and if anyone chooses to disregard this, they run into the possibility of not only ''interpreting'' the Bible, but ''manipulating'' it.
 FFS38
Msg: 343
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2019 5:54:45 AM
Post 341

Remember when chirstianity began it was the leaders who interpreted the bible for people since none of them could read and this went on for more than 1500 years. Now most everyone interprets the Boble in their own way

Wasn't this type of behaviour going on in Jesus's time, my recollection being that the pharisee's were always trying to twist the meaning of the written laws to condemn Jesus so they might have reason to lock him up.
 FFS38
Msg: 344
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2019 6:40:27 AM
Post 342

With respect I have to smile at that, and how you distanced yourself from holding that view. I'm sure if that were true this conversation...

Post 335

Christians made the assertion a God exists.

Post 341

Post 342

Would have read....
A lot of POSTER'S made the assertion a God exists....
Or the Christians on this thread made the assertion etc......
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 345
Posted: 4/14/2019 4:19:53 PM
What exactly would be the point of having what is considered the instruction manual for humanity "open to interpretation"?

To begin with it's not an instruction manual anymore, it's a guide book. Ceased to be an instruction manual when the majority of the world learned to read and interpret it on there own. In addition there's hundreds of millions of muslims and hindus who use different guide books.

However it was an instruction manual during most of the catholic churches existence and it was the church that interpreted the bible. The reason for this is simple, no one could read and the masses had no choice but have the priests to explain it for them. I imagine the theme would have been heavy with the resurrected in heaven concept after all one had to give hope to their flocks whose average life expectancy was maybe 30 years

Everyone goes through the inevitable process of "interpreting" what they see, read, or hear, but that doesn't mean proper interpretation doesn't exist.

Ok who decides that the right interpretation has been found? Galileo realised that the earth traveled around the sun but the catholic church didn't see it that way. Likewise if the catholic church had ruled the world was flat Columbus probably would have never left port. They didn't and he did

As for proper interpretation existing, who decides what it is. Throw the lyrics to a song on backcreek's thread that is defined by the writer and see how people view it. There is no right nor wrong view of that song if it's meaning hasn't been shared by the composers.

Specific words have specific meanings, and if anyone chooses to disregard this, they run into the possibility of not only ''interpreting'' the Bible, but ''manipulating'' it.

And that is the operative word, "manipulate" though it applies to all religions and beliefs and this is done by the ones doing the interpreting and is still done to this day to people who can be suckered in because of their faith.

Which brings to mind Peter Popoff's "miracle spring water." In the commercial someone will claim "I drank the miracle spring water and the very next day I received a cheque in the mail for 36 thousand dollars. From who is never mentioned. Now you realise he is explaing his version of God's teaching in order to fleece those of faith and they follow unquestioningly. Sorry I can't remember where I was going with this so I'm going to just stop
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 346
Posted: 4/14/2019 4:28:54 PM
Wasn't this type of behaviour going on in Jesus's time,

Actually it's been going on through the history of mankind. The Anglican church was created because Henry VIII wanted a divorce and the catholic church didn't allow it. Modern reference would be the anti-smoking nazi's and the SJN's
 Inicia
Msg: 347
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2019 5:33:59 PM
some Choose to believe God exist In for adults or anyone that is a personal assertion. i can assert my own beliefs for myself. It is pointless To argue or debate beliefs or personal truth .To claim my personal understanding of the world Is a fact Is ridiculous -You know things like I believe in love I mean can one person say that love is a fact or that's tangible no . we determine these beliefs for ourselves think about how many cynical hardened people do not believe in love, loyalty , for another to say these exist for all across the board is assumptive and irrational.
 backcreek7
Msg: 348
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2019 7:52:47 PM
^^

... All this religious discussion is great, and don't get me wrong. I'm of the opinion that we should keep a careful eye & ear > on EVERY pertinent human action and discussion goin' on ! We should take care of our planet, and its people as well.

... There are many things about the internet, that are great and many that are horrible ( kind of like we humans huh ? ) This is the thing though, the internet is possibly going to provide us a direction & a doable path to achieve >>> THE NUMBER ONE MOST IMPORTANT THING ~ FOR WE HUMANS TO DO PERIOD !!!

... And this is, to get off this f*ucking planet before we either self implode > kill each other, die off from a virus or disease , or the earth gets hit by a small meteor ~ sashaying through space.

... When this happens ( a matter of when - not if ) > for SURE , discussions over religion / or living off earth > will fall upon dead ears ...

^^ Just a thought ^^ A little backcreek interjection here ( won't mind his f-in business ever, col ) of an important topic > But back to religion now ~ congrats Surely, hugs Surely ~ !!! Keep up those good spirits, hopes, desires, dreams and goals a comin' your way girl !!!

!!! ( heart / go Surely / sun ) !!!

&ps? > ( somethin' about these !!!!!! and ~~~~ and >>>> and ^^^ and <<<< and ...... and ((((( and ))))) really gets me excited !!! ( ha ! Not that kind of excited, col )
 purrfectionately
Msg: 349
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2019 6:56:41 AM
Dear original poster:

Praying the best for you, and enjoy seeing this thread. Many posters such as myself have been blasted over the years, ridiculed, dissected, insulted, berated, and otherwise referred to as insane for practicing Christianity. Yet many of them tolerate other religions, and forms of spirituality. I stand true to my convictions for Christ, firmly planted upon the foundations he laid for mankind.

Do not be discouraged by the nay sayers! Shine like the light you are in the world!
 FFS38
Msg: 350
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2019 7:26:06 AM

Actually it's been going on through the history of mankind. The Anglican church was created because Henry VIII wanted a divorce and the catholic church didn't allow it.

Yes I was aware of this, as Henry VIII came after Jesus.
Positions of power can corrupt some men to do all sorts, as history has shown.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?