Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 351
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 15 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
^^^

It doesn't take much to assume that position of power. The Manson Family comes to mind
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 352
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 4/15/2019 9:52:32 AM
a "witness testimony" is anything someone claimed they saw. it doesn't have to be good or accurate, it just is. its up to an opposing side to prove validity or not. the same thing is true about "evidence".

"the Bible is based on facts...the Bible cannot be proven to be true in all aspects"

>>every time conservative talk show hosts like Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones get hauled to court over the "Facts" they claim in fact are not true, they hem and haw about how they are just entertainers. But once the smoke clears, they rebrand themselves the tellers of truth and no-spin zones. its interesting their followers can handle the schizophrenia, but i forget that other groups tend to catagorize and recatagorize as it suits them.

believe what you wish, and don't be hypocritical. you may swear to God in court, but you probably can't use the Bible to explain your charges. the gospels were used to sell the idea of a Messiah to different groups. And there are passages left out of the Bible that one should take into consideration, if they wish a full view.

"The reason for this is simple, no one could read and the masses had no choice but have the priests to explain it for them. "

>>which gave the Catholic church a lot of power. the level of authority, however, has also changed over time. most voters don't pay attention to the prayer breakfasts in the White House anymore.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 353
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2019 10:15:48 AM
Message 347
Inicia makes a good point in that we all believe in love. I say that like faith, love cannot be proven.

Message 349

Do not be discouraged by the nay sayers! Shine like the light you are in the world!

The Bible's interpretation although having been manipulated over the ages was first translated into English directly from Hebrew and Greek manuscripts in the early 1,500's by William Tyndale who was strangled to death and burned at the stake because of claims by the Catholic Church that Tyndale was a heretic and had committed treason. The Church of England at the height of it's corruption feared that translation would diminish their power over the people. Tyndale's last words were “Lord, open the king of England’s eyes!” The King James version, commissioned by King James of England published in 1611 is recognized today as the true version which includes over 80% of Tyndale's work. Other versions attempt to make the teachings more easily understood with modern language but in essence the Bible has remained the same for over four centuries. Even Richard Dawkins, a renowned Atheist recognizes the amazing work of the Bible and said "A native speaker of English who has never read a word of the King James Bible is verging on the barbarian."
What other literary work has had a greater influence on all humanity than the Bible? One must ask Why?

DAY 55!!!
Posted: 4/15/2019 10:16:37 AM

To begin with it's not an instruction manual anymore, it's a guide book.

A quick glance at a thesaurus will reveal the two terms are synonymous, although, guidebooks are typically thought of as being concise. The Bible? Concise? It's about as concise as I am bald. At any rate, this matter isn't really worth any further debate for me.

The reason for this is simple, no one could read and the masses had no choice but have the priests to explain it for them.

We are far beyond those times. Proper interpretation entails acknowledging the terminology, understanding its meaning, and simply adhering to it. Would it be acceptable to "interpret" the commandment "thou shall not kill" as "kill as you wish"?

Many posters such as myself have been blasted over the years, ridiculed, dissected, insulted, berated, and otherwise referred to as insane for practicing Christianity.

Hey, want to try a neat little experiment? Pretend to be a non-believer for a month, make it publicly known to all of your fellow believers, and let us know what their reactions are.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 355
Posted: 4/15/2019 12:07:46 PM
"We are far beyond those times. Proper interpretation"

Since that was what I was trying to explain and obviously doing it badly I'll leave you to your thoughts Pig.
 Inicia
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2019 2:16:43 PM
R _ A_ T :Wow I like your new profile picture It's cute However It didn't become you until joined with its counterpart ovum
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 357
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2019 6:07:49 PM
I still say heck yes, Christianity, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Hindu, Judaism, or any other IDEA of who we are can be combined. Why not?

After all, if egg and sperm can combine regardless of ideology and make US then why can't we get along after we are born?

Seems to me, our ideas of who we are, and where we are going, and who, or what we should be praising are exactly what is dividing us. Personally, I think it's all a bunch of baloney and is what is keeping us apart.

When, on a cellular level we are really all the same and when you boil it all down to egg and sperm our biology cares not a whit who we beleive in, worship or feel the need to live our lives for. Or, die for, or even kill someone else over because they are different.

This is part of our history and I think POF, the internet and the information we now have access to is our liberation from the separate beliefs of the past that folks worldwide felt the need to fight and die over. So yes, POF and any belief can be combined. As sure as an egg and a sperm can combine regardless of beliefs to make me, or you.

Have faith in that, no matter what you believe IMHO.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 358
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 7:42:32 AM
i do get that, in times of stress (been in one recently) when we've tried every trick and tool we have, its calming to say, "its in the hands of God now" and to let go.

Can we have faith without science? Does a dog have faith their higher owner will always feed them, shelter them, and take them to the vet in order to live a long satisfying life? or does the dog simply roll with it? If Adam had not eaten the apple, would we be only as smart as crows (which probably don't understand why things happen, just that things happen and when they happen in a repeatable pattern, that pattern can be used as a tool for their advantage)? in order to have faith, must we first know how to question?

and if we're going to discuss faith, let's see what the master had to say. those not forced to read "fear and trembling" may be interested to get a view on what is faith and how it can be applied to a better life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theology_of_S%C3%B8ren_Kierkegaard
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 359
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 9:43:01 AM
No one has commented on the existence of love and yet it is said that "it makes the world go round". It can't be proven but we believe. How is this different from faith when we have the Bible for explanation and for love, we have only fictional books and movies and warm fuzzy feelings?
Posted: 4/16/2019 11:01:39 AM

No one has commented on the existence of love and yet it is said that "it makes the world go round". It can't be proven but we believe. How is this different from faith when we have the Bible for explanation and for love, we have only fictional books and movies and warm fuzzy feelings?

Actually, I did address this. (along with other issues that were conveniently ignored)

Emotions are a response to chemical changes in the brain, which can be seen via CAT scan or measured in the blood.
 FFS38
Msg: 361
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 11:35:41 AM

Actually I did try to address that too in the post below...

Just because something can't be scientifically observed or proven doesn't mean it isn't real.
I can't see my emotions without a mirror but I know they're real, I've been in love, I can't taste it, touch it, I can't show it to you, but I know it's there.

Emotions are a response to chemical changes in the brain, which can be seen via CAT scan or measured in the blood.

Responses to change can be measured by machinery but that's all they are, a recognition that something's there. You couldn't seriously show a child a visual demonstration of emotions, such as love, on a screen and expect them to understand it.
 purrfectionately
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 11:58:29 AM
https://binged.it/2v6s3E6

For those whom have inquiring minds... Spirituality does change the brain, and that is science.
Posted: 4/16/2019 4:37:29 PM

Responses to change can be measured by machinery but that's all they are, a recognition that something's there. You couldn't seriously show a child a visual demonstration of emotions, such as love, on a screen and expect them to understand it.

Wait until they're old enough to comprehend it, I suppose. Interestingly, most children can't comprehend a lot of what's written in the Bible, but that doesn't seem to keep adults from using it to scare the shit out of them through the indoctrination process.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 364
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 4:39:20 PM
^Hey! I never scared my children! Sheesh! Didn't even make them go to church every week!
 purrfectionately
Msg: 365
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 7:37:45 PM
Umm my kids are adults and its all in good fun to scare the daylights out of each other! I never made them go to church; they wanted to spend time with their friends. Maybe that's why they are both spiritual Christians now? Many of their friends are too though, and mine as well. I think like minded people seek one another.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 366
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 8:05:27 PM

Faith is also subject to emotion.
If your posts were ignored....I apologize but it may seem that a question was not asked or no one deemed them worthy of response? In particular, your suggestion that one pretend to be a non-believer would not be considered by a believer. Further, many of your posts are inflammatory IMO and I and it seems others, choose to ignore those. I am sorry however, that it seems that your experience with religion as a child sounds as if it was unpleasant and even traumatic and I understand.

FFS.....You did try to address the issue of love and you made some great points!

Ms. Purrrfect....I agree but your link brought no results for me.

DAY 56!!!!
Posted: 4/17/2019 6:04:59 AM

In particular, your suggestion that one pretend to be a non-believer would not be considered by a believer.

I didn't mean it quite literally. I had no expectations of her actually doing it. My point was, she would very likely see just how vicious her fellow Christians would be in their turn against her. I would venture to say she would be subjected to everything she claims non-believers have thrown her way.

Further, many of your posts are inflammatory

No, I criticize concepts that have earned criticism. But out of curiosity, do you find Christians telling non-believers they're going to hell ''inflammatory"?

I apologize but it may seem that a question was not asked or no one deemed them worthy of response?

I was just wondering if anyone would explain why Christians take exception to non-believers dismissing their "God", yet have no qualms about dismissing other "Gods" themselves. I dismiss the Christian God for the very same reason they dismiss the others.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 368
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2019 6:58:13 AM
^^^^
If I for any reason, seemed to have lost my faith, I can say with all certainty that my true fellow Christians would not be vicious or judgmental but concerned, supportive and loving. There will always be those who profess to be Christian but may truly not be....always has been but not for us to judge.

Your idea of concepts that have earned criticism seem to be any that you do not agree with concerning God, the Bible or faith and you state your criticisms in what seems to be an aggressive and disrespectful manner, biased possibly by your seemingly unfortunate negative 10 years of religious study and/or your interpretation and lack of faith in the Bible. The OP stated that I will either respond to or ignore such posts in a way that I feel is worthy of God.

It is unfortunate that some Christians are caught in the trap of explaining hell, when really I believe they should talk about the gift of Salvation. After all, hell is not something a Christian needs to worry about nor should a non-believer as for them, hell does not exist. There are those non-believers who love to catch a Christian confused or in the wrong and as we are human, it happens and then the non-believer attacks our faith. No one is attacking your lack of faith? You are free to believe what you will. The Bible is there for you should you reconsider.

I don't even consider other Gods much less dismiss them because to me they don't exist. I don't feel the need to prove it and no one can accuse me of relentlessly trying to disprove their existence. It is anyone's God given freedom of choice to dismiss the Christian God and I take no exception to that but I wish that all could experience the joy I feel in my faith. The more I focus on my faith, the less dependent I am on other things to provide my pleasure....material things and alcohol for examples. I pray more and worry less.

"I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete." - JOHN 15:11

DAY 57!!!!!

Have a blessed day!
Posted: 4/17/2019 7:37:20 AM

Your idea of concepts that have earned criticism seem to be any that you do not agree with concerning God, the Bible or faith and you state your criticisms in what seems to be an aggressive and disrespectful manner

Aggressive and disrespectful? How about I play the "open to interpretation" card here? Remember that one?

I don't even consider other Gods much less dismiss them because to me they don't exist.

"Dismiss" actually means "to consider something unworthy of consideration". So, yes, you *do* dismiss them.

Other Gods don't exist to you? Fascinating. I'm curious, what burden of proof did your God meet that other Gods *failed* to do? Did you even give them a chance?

but I wish that all could experience the joy I feel in my faith.

By the same token, I wish all could feel the joy in not feeling they are "nothing" without an unproven and excessively violent "God".
 Inicia
Msg: 370
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2019 10:34:23 AM
to all, That claim nobody has mentioned the intangible love in comparison to the intangible God , I do with consistence, Every time the existence of a God is brought up .Without fail in past philosophy discussions in past religious discussions when it was pertinent Etc etc My poetry consistently address this ideology of faith. these are of my mindset and I share that concept consistently. do I claim that anybody's God does not exist? no !!Do I claim that anybody's love does not exist? no! do i disrespect atheist? No?.

And if we wanna talk about disrespectful, hostile and aggressive?? Try typing with Lack of punctuation or proper grammar . Something that many know only the bare necessities, lacking the intrinsic rules included in this language: very few understand many rules, such as, how to properly use a; or a colon. Often do not know where to place prepositions, or even proper definitions,including the value of their origins, etymology-and/or archaic uses. With hostility, aggression exclude, And dismiss The person utilizing the poor grammar and punctuation As valueless . pffft go on now look In the mirror.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 371
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2019 12:12:56 PM
Some people just want to argue and purposely 'misunderstand' a point and yes....you come across to me in my interpretive opinion as aggressive and disrespectful. Further, sarcasm always fails for me unless it is meant in light hearted humor. Finally, I am not "nothing". I am loved and saved by a kind and loving FATHER.

Inicia....I have often commented on astute points that you have made in such as your most recent post as noted above. I too have also expressed my frustration in trying to decipher some of your posts lacking the proper punctuation, etc. If this is something that is difficult for you, I sincerely apologize. Perhaps you could just put a space between differing thoughts? I really don't think that I have ever been disrespectful to you about it though.
Posted: 4/17/2019 12:49:57 PM

Some people just want to argue

Wait a minute. Didn't you claim to be bowing out of this "debate" several posts ago? Considering you voluntarily returned to it, wouldn't "some people" include you?

you come across to me in my interpretive opinion as aggressive and disrespectful.

Or it could simply be you don't like what I'm saying. Big difference.
 backcreek7
Msg: 373
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2019 1:12:52 PM
" Christianity and POF - Can they be combined ? "

^^^ The answer to this question > is yes ! The combination though, can be volatile > as well as calming, self reflecting and extremely substantive. Especially when there is a faith involved, as faith is not something that can be necessarily proven in " earthly " terms but, none the less exists in many. I also believe, that religion can paint some with a brush of negativity & disconcertion within their lives. It has happened & certainly this point is one of a very real validity, with those who have felt the religious brush and felt tainted, for whatever reason.

....... Also, I can totally understand why some may feel negative concerning faith, which "can" & " has" sometimes been projected wrongly upon a person, in one form or another .... I'm sure that a certain negativity, may arise from previous true life happenings as well. I personally, do not support or deny ones thoughts on the subject, but listen to each side carefully. I believe each and everyone should be heard, and their viewpoint should be retained, respected and appreciated.

....... The right and necessity to speak up, we all hold dear. For it is " silence " that kills and destroys, never helps solve a problem & never brings about a shared conclusion. Does each side here ( sir pigs say ) and ( surelys say ) have an equal weight, so to speak ? Yes would be my answer, to the question ~ " Can we rationally speak together, concerning each others ideals ? " > this being evidenced, by this very discussion.

....... Thank you Surely & thank you Sir Pig, I personally have become enlightened by both of you !

... heart / enlightenment / sun ...
 FFS38
Msg: 374
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2019 1:29:57 PM

Some people just want to argue

Wait a minute. Didn't you claim to be bowing out of this "debate" several posts ago? Considering you voluntarily returned to it, wouldn't "some people" include you?

Come on people, this is a time for peace not war.

Think the two of you need to get laid.
 Inicia
Msg: 375
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2019 4:38:33 PM
As offered previously my sincere apologies for being difficult to decipher , additionally there is a post In the off topic explaining what the problem was and is
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?