Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cooldog65
Msg: 476
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 20 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
My bad on derailing the topic...

I'm not sure where I sit on this, so I consider myself more of an agnostic.

Too bad it didn't work out. You would have loved Charmin - she was stunningly beautiful and funny as hell.

I remember how beautiful she was from her pictures. I wish I had the required documentation to cross the border at that time, but I didn't. Now I have the enhanced driver's license and a copy of my birth certificate.

Who knows what the future holds?
 Seamist474
Msg: 477
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 5/4/2019 2:44:21 PM

Who knows what the future holds?

Well, you could try and find her. If you gave me a little time, I might remember her name, other than Chrystal.

Back to Mr. Pig - I heard you were a perfect gentleman. I heard Tom was too, he didn't stay long after that meetup and came on here and apologized for his poor behaviour at times on the forums. BTW, I've met up with about 5 people from the forums at different places in Canada and the US and all have been lovely.

Day 20,000 clean and sober and I didn't need a sky wizard or a fairy tale book to get that way.
Congratulations.
 BBEisBack
Msg: 478
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2019 3:08:21 PM

Cool:

I'm not sure, either. I think I lean more towards being a Deist than Agnostic.
 FFS38
Msg: 479
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2019 3:40:33 PM

Cool:

I'm not sure, either. I think I lean more towards being a Deist than Agnostic.

I'm an agnostic dyslexic insomniac....

I lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 480
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2019 6:03:12 PM
I'd have to consider myself a "Latter day Ain't"....

Meaning, I ain't believing in anything.... But am accepting of everything. Including improper English.

Therefore, I do think all can be combined if one realizes we all have our own slant on the world. And others have their viewpoint too.

Live and let live. And let all lives combine. It's slowly happening anyways and POF is a part of it too. JMO.

SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 481
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 9:59:53 AM

Day 20,000 clean and sober and I didn't need a sky wizard or a fairy tale book to get that way.

Well my sincere congratulations to you too for over 54 years of sobriety.....without even any thinly disguised mockery.
 Seamist474
Msg: 482
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 11:56:13 AM
^^^

I just wish you would admit to yourself that YOU are doing this for yourself. YOU are doing the hard work. YOU have made up your mind to lead a healthier life. YOU are to be congratulated. YOU had this in you all the time. And as long as YOU remain committed, YOU will succeed. YOU are doing this, every single day for 70+ days. YOU are far stronger than you thought. I would think that everyone on here, real people encouraging you, applauding your success, giving you a pat on the back, sending you hugs and add in all the people in your real life away from the forums - these folks have done more to assist YOU than any guy from a book that can't even talk to you.
 FFS38
Msg: 483
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 12:22:09 PM

YOU are doing the hard work.

What's your problem with God...spill please.
He has given you free will and doesn't interfere with how you choose to live your life, what harm has he ever done you?
 jackal44
Msg: 484
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 1:05:06 PM
^^^^ what harm has he ever done? You are kidding right? How many have died and are dying in the name of religion, how many have suffered in fear or guilt based on his make believe edicts...on the other hand, what has he done to end suffering and despair in this world? Not to say there are not some benefits to religion, something to hold on to, community get together's, etc...
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 485
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 1:45:55 PM
msg#482:
^^^

I just wish you would admit to yourself that YOU are doing this for yourself. YOU are doing the hard work. YOU have made up your mind to lead a healthier life. YOU are to be congratulated. YOU had this in you all the time. And as long as YOU remain committed, YOU will succeed. YOU are doing this, every single day for 70+ days. YOU are far stronger than you thought.

YOU (more at 'you' this poster' in your scenario here are all powerful.
Have you never not needed a helping hand? Maybe something BIGGER than you? After all else was lost?

Lucky you~
 Seamist474
Msg: 486
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 2:12:23 PM

Have you never not needed a helping hand? Maybe something BIGGER than you? After all else was lost?

Lucky you~

I have needed a helping hand, and I got that from my immediate network of family and friends. I also sought the help of a counselor twice that gave me good advice. What I didn't need was some invisible man created god(s) to give me advice. As for something "BIGGER" than me - nah, I deal with real because I'm real.

I buried a son and a husband within a year of each other and didn't manage to turn to booze, drugs or god(s), not because I'm stronger or better, its just not in me. "Lucky you", none of us have lived to our 40s, 50s or 60s without hitting the wall of life somewhere along our journey.

This poster did this herself, all by herself and why can't she give herself credit for this? Some find the meaning of life in a book written by men about a god created by these same men; some find the meaning in life from watching the Simpson's. Whatever works I guess. I choose real over fantasy or created. I like science.
Posted: 5/5/2019 3:19:06 PM

Strangely, a man I met once through POF contacted me again and even stranger is a member of the Church hosting the function and who also attended. I don't think that is simply coincidence.....

What process did you implement to rule out coincidence as a possible candidate for what occurred? What process did you implement to reach the conclusion a supernatural event is the most likely explanation for what occurred?

Discovering someone you met on POF is a member of a church you're affiliated with doesn't exactly defy any laws of the natural world. In fact, it is precisely the very kind of coincidence we can expect to occur in life.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 488
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 3:41:01 PM
Whenever anyone tries to impose their beliefs and subvert the will of others...conflict always ensues.

And interestingly....it seems to be the non religious....doing just that in this thread.

Where is the tolerance??? Why must it be YOUR way?
 Seamist474
Msg: 489
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 4:04:56 PM

Whenever anyone tries to impose their beliefs and subvert the will of others...

I think its more the other way around. I haven't had any atheists knocking at my door and wanting to talk to me about the lack of god(s). I don't seem to see them around town selling Don't Watch Tower. I don't see pairs of them wandering around the neighbour hood spreading the non-gospel. I haven't had an atheist say something stupid at a funeral like "its god's way and they've gone to a better place".

Tolerance for christians appears to be forgiving a man for cheating on all three wives. I don't tolerate that, I call and a$$hole an a$$hole.

I've simply stated to the OP - give yourself a little more credit for the hard work you've done.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 490
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 4:29:06 PM
"these folks have done more to assist YOU than any guy from a book that can't even talk to you."

hmmm....

"I've simply stated to the OP - give yourself a little more credit for the hard work you've done."

Yeah....ok. lol

But Shirley? She is right that you should give yourself credit. The decision to live your life in relationship with God is not an easy one. But you did it....with the free will we were all given. :)
 Noftheborder
Msg: 491
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 4:53:08 PM
Pointing out hypocrisy of thought and deed is hardly being intolerant. The fakeness of Christianity is underlined by the ability to be governed by the same written word over centuries and changing the constant of that written word to suit one’s own purposes at any given time in history, very often with the end result of intolerance, followed by a forgive me father for I have sinned...over and over again.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 492
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 4:57:16 PM
^So don't be a Christian.

See how simple that is?

But....you don't get to choose for others....sorry. :)

N2U18
Msg: 493
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 5:15:36 PM
I’m sympathetic with atheists and their frustrations with Christians but I view that as a walk in the park in comparison with Liberals. I can’t remember the last time a Christian knocked on my door, but I have a Liberal Poltergeist crawling around on my ceiling 24/7. Actually, that Liberal Poltergeist is quite the stalker because it’s already in my home, work, school, tv, movies, car, politics, etc. and it’s something I can’t escape (help me). I can’t even buy a razor without that Liberal Poltergeist telling me how shitty my gender is………does it ever end? Sigh!

I view this as somewhere between chronic spousal abuse and the movie “The Exorcist”.

https://twitter.com/som3thingwicked/status/1115318818002407435
 backcreek7
Msg: 494
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 8:22:17 PM
... Simply put ~ if a person is aided in becoming a better person, by whatever means > I think this is good. If a person chooses God to help them become stronger, this is also good. The focus on which direction for help people choose, is up to the individual. To insist that a way of life is working for someone, only because they are doing it themselves > in my opinion is to deny reality.

... I would make a bet right here, that if Shirley was hooked to a lie detector. When asked " Did God guide you in the path to a much better life ? " I think her answer of yes, would pass every time. The means she uses to change her life should be respected, especially because they can work .

... Obviously I need to point out, it is the result which is important, the means achieved may be speculated upon but the result is a minor miracle. I see nothing wrong with anyones thoughts, but when it becomes agenda driven ( the agenda being to persuade against or deny a persons belief in something ) I wonder of the motive ?

... heart / Shirleys Journey / sun ...
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 495
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 8:45:30 PM
I think I can respond to all of the atheists in the previous posts very simply.
God gave us all the freedom of choice not to believe....or to believe which is actually is a more difficult path because as you say, God is not visible, His Word is centuries old and terrible things happen.
Regardless, I CHOOSE to believe and I know that my faith has given me a strength that I would not possess without it.

DAY 75!!!
I attended a dinner/dance last night where pretty much everyone, including my date was drinking and I was not even slightly tempted. That is truly a miracle and I thank God every day.

I also believe that the 'coincidence' of meeting this man through POF with whom I attended a meeting to 'Celebrate Recovery' was God's way of preparing me for last night's potential temptations. City of 135,000? The Church is two blocks away? He lives within a 5 minute drive? Contacts me two days before? He has been a recovering alcoholic for 25 years! What are the odds? Not just one coincidence but many.

Christianity and POF really can be combined!
Posted: 5/5/2019 9:05:13 PM

So don't be a Christian. See how simple that is?

I wouldn't say it's simple, especially if you live in a country where Christians are the majority. As a non-believer, you've got two choices - play it safe and never make it known or reveal it, then face endless preaching and attempts at proselytization.

I haven't had an atheist say something stupid at a funeral like "its god's way and they've gone to a better place".

This right here is one the most disgusting and despicable things I've experienced myself with Christians. (ones who actually claimed to "care" about me, mind you) I've endured a lot of deaths of people close to me in recent years, and people who knew I didn't want to be subjected to preaching, did it anyway. They're hoping my life will eventually become plagued with enough tragedy that I will finally get on my knees and worship their unfounded deity. That's right, a being that supposedly loves us wants us on our knees, acknowledging our inferiority and demonstrating it with this symbolic gesture for the sake of its own gargantuan ego.
 jackal44
Msg: 497
view profile
History
Posted: 5/5/2019 9:42:56 PM
^^^^ well yea...isn't that what religious services are always all about in all religions? Telling God how great he is and how much we love him and thank him for everything he has done for us...while many of us are on our knees...and then the praying...the incessant praying....as if God is listening and will Help Shirley cut her drinking but not help the starving child...sure thing...that makes sense.
 FFS38
Msg: 498
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 3:05:59 AM

I haven't had an atheist say something stupid at a funeral like "its god's way and they've gone to a better place".

So, aren't you the lucky one being privy to what actually happens when we die...I thought that question was the BIG question....and unanswerable in the physical world?

So what would an atheist say? Something along the lines of "oh yeah, sh*t happens, his/her whole life was meaningless, there is no God blah de blah etc etc.

I've endured a lot of deaths of people close to me in recent years, and people who knew I didn't want to be subjected to preaching, did it anyway. They're hoping my life will eventually become plagued with enough tragedy that I will finally get on my knees and worship their unfounded deity. That's right, a being that supposedly loves us wants us on our knees, acknowledging our inferiority and demonstrating it with this symbolic gesture for the sake of its own gargantuan ego.

I think you're viewing the whole concept in the wrong way....as in no one's gonna tell ME how I should live my life. I don't think God is out to get people to massage his ego, more like a father wanting the best path for his potentially wayward children.
These Christians who offered you words of comfort were just trying to help in the way they knew best, it can be imposing, feel annoying and you may feel patronised but if they didn't offer you ANY words of comfort you'd probably shoot them down for it, so they can't really win.
What is ego anyway, it's something you can't see just like pride, that's something that gets in the way of a lot of decisions too.
The trouble with atheists is they're victims of their own self fulfilling prophecy, in the bible it says they will deny God, become lovers of pleasures rather than god, and mock those who choose to believe...that is strongly evident reading some people's posts. They make a choice to not believe, why not leave it at that, rather than to suggest anyone who believes there is more to our lives is completely wrong.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 499
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 5:19:07 AM
"but when it becomes agenda driven ( the agenda being to persuade against or deny a persons belief in something ) I wonder of the motive ?"

Mr. Backcreek.....you're so smart! :)

People like to justify their decisions and seek validation by the "conversion" of others. Usually means they are still dealing with their own internal conflict whether conscious or unconscious. There are other motivations and lots of contributing factors but this one is quite common. Understanding your motivations and those of others is key to interpreting whether advice or platitudes come from a place of well meaning or self interest.
 Seamist474
Msg: 500
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 7:05:03 AM

"but when it becomes agenda driven ( the agenda being to persuade against or deny a persons belief in something ) I wonder of the motive ?"

What is wrong with saying "Oh my, I am strong and I've done a great job."?

People like to justify their decisions and seek validation by the "conversion" of others.
Christians are very adept at doing this, for some its their calling, their mission.

Usually means they are still dealing with their own internal conflict whether conscious or unconscious. There are other motivations and lots of contributing factors but this one is quite common. Understanding your motivations and those of others is key to interpreting whether advice or platitudes come from a place of well meaning or self interest.

Sounds a little "holier than thou"-ish.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?