Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 501
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 21 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
^You should note....I named neither the religious nor the non religious.

Not "holier than thou" ish. Lol

Just observant of human behavior. :)

Tru_Blue
Msg: 502
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 5/6/2019 7:37:19 AM
A person would have to define just what being a "Christian" is first....I would think.
If it's just having a belief there is a God that makes you a "Christian".....then fine.
But...are there any written standards on being a "Christian" ? You know morals/integrity and such...that goes along with this honour you have bestowed upon yourself?

Are there any rules/manners one should follow or does each individual self impose what works for them?
As long as one says but I am "Christian".....everyone must think they are somehow "better" than non-Christians....
Chosen ones....who because of their "thoughts/beliefs" will be taken to a never ending life after death....as your reward.
Maybe....the reason some people are tired of religions and balk at the belief.... is because there doesn't seem to be any standards....anymore.
Unless "Christians" of today can now lie/steal/rape/mock...…
I really would like to hear something definitive on this question.....not a flippant remark.
Can anyone define a "Christian" for me? Is it merely about belief or is behaviour involved?
JMHO.
 Noftheborder
Msg: 503
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 7:59:12 AM
^sounds typical of the religious, particularly the Christian variety. Religions work well for many in their own personal lives as a way of “dealing” with issues they struggle with. It’s when it goes beyond their own personal lives that you have to question their motivations and where self interests generally lay, which is incredibly often the opposite of being altruistic. After all, attempting to convert makes the converter feel good, which his hardly selfless.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 504
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 8:43:53 AM

This right here is one the most disgusting and despicable things I've experienced myself with Christians. (ones who actually claimed to "care" about me, mind you) I've endured a lot of deaths of people close to me in recent years, and people who knew I didn't want to be subjected to preaching, did it anyway. They're hoping my life will eventually become plagued with enough tragedy that I will finally get on my knees and worship their unfounded deity. That's right, a being that supposedly loves us wants us on our knees, acknowledging our inferiority and demonstrating it with this symbolic gesture for the sake of its own gargantuan ego.

Why would it be despicable to offer one the same hope that brings so much comfort to the other? To wish tragedy upon anyone? No, but we are certainly inferior.

as if God is listening and will Help Shirley cut her drinking but not help the starving child...sure thing...that makes sense.

God's help is measured by the help given by his people. God works in our hearts to generate donations and physical aid.

What is wrong with saying "Oh my, I am strong and I've done a great job."?

Absolutely nothing by the grace of God.

People like to justify their decisions and seek validation by the "conversion" of others.

Christians are very adept at doing this, for some its their calling, their mission.

It really seems that Atheists are very adept at doing this.....would seem they consider it their calling, their mission.

A person would have to define just what being a "Christian" is first....I would think.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life. ... For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16
This belief defines a Christian who then considers the Bible their guidebook to Christianity which offers instructions for life.....the Ten Commandments for instance and many others. Belief is inherent to behavior but before we suggest that Christians are better than others....remember that all are only human and subject to mistakes and failures. The beauty is that we can acknowledge those, truly repent and we are forgiven.

After all, attempting to convert makes the converter feel good, which his hardly selfless.

The conversion of a soul to Christ creates joy, both on earth and in heaven. It may give one great pleasure to have been part of that process but without God, it would not have happened.

I truly wish that everyone could feel the new joy I feel each day, the comfort in knowing that I am not alone and the knowledge that I am saved.
 Noftheborder
Msg: 505
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 9:04:32 AM
The following article by a Christian puts many things rather succinctly. https://redeeminggod.com/10-excuses-christians-give-for-treating-others-badly/

It may give one great pleasure to have been part of that process but without God, it would not have happened.

Said every person of every religion whose beliefs differ from each other and whose strict supposed adherence to their own set of beliefs has caused harm the world over. The inherent problem with religion is the harm done by all the one-upmanship and insistence of their own religion being the "one".
 Seamist474
Msg: 506
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 9:11:18 AM

God's help is measured by the help given by his people. God works in our hearts to generate donations and physical aid.

I've worked with charities on committees and as a volunteer for at least 40 years and continue to do so. I also donate, not only my time but what monies I have to share. I did all this without god or feeling I had to do this because of a god.

Why would it be despicable to offer one the same hope that brings so much comfort to the other?

What is wrong with a simple "I feel sorry for your loss" or "I sympathize with the pain you have endured or are enduring" or "Anything I can do to help you?". Why is it "its god's way". That's bullsh!t "comfort" to someone about to bury their child or mother or partner. As my father said to someone who told him that my Mother was in a "better place" - he said "Nope, the best place for her is right here beside me".

As for the rest of the b.s. about "gave his only begotten son" - that works only if you believe the fairy tale book. Last I read, there were a couple thousand "gods", what makes you think your's is the best? Again, faith is just that - faith. It ain't fact.
 jackal44
Msg: 507
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 9:31:52 AM

People like to justify their decisions and seek validation by the "conversion" of others. Usually means they are still dealing with their own internal conflict whether conscious or unconscious. There are other motivations and lots of contributing factors but this one is quite common. Understanding your motivations and those of others is key to interpreting whether advice or platitudes come from a place of well meaning or self interest.

Truth is, this is nothing but psychobabble. I am guessing they teach this crap in psychology somewhere... People may like to seek validation from others....but conversion? Yea...sure thing.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 508
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 9:47:45 AM
^An easy example to highlight this....

An ex smoker who feels the need to "preach" to a stranger they encounter smoking that they should quit."

BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 509
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 9:51:13 AM
some people say, "they are in a better place" simply b/c they can't think of anything to say. they are trying to feel better themselves, by contributing something. it would be better to say, "sorry for your loss, can i help".

no one knows what lies ahead of us all. we're all just guessing.
 jackal44
Msg: 510
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 9:51:43 AM
^^^ Are you suggesting the "ex smoker" needs validation to accept the healthful benefits of not smoking? And really, who is rude enough to preach to a stranger about not smoking? Who does something like that...other than to say...don't smoke in my face please.
 Noftheborder
Msg: 511
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 10:06:14 AM
^My guess it's the same sort of self-righteous individuals who will spout all kinds of nastiness to people they don't know who are smoking outdoors 50 fee away from them, all the while donned in all the jogging paraphernalia as they run down a busy street sucking back exhaust fumes...or an individual who decries the evils of pot while sucking back their fourth glass of wine in quick succession.
 FFS38
Msg: 512
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 10:14:03 AM

Are there any rules/manners one should follow or does each individual self impose what works for them?
As long as one says but I am "Christian".....everyone must think they are somehow "better" than non-Christians....
Chosen ones....who because of their "thoughts/beliefs" will be taken to a never ending life after death....as your reward.
Maybe....the reason some people are tired of religions and balk at the belief.... is because there doesn't seem to be any standards....anymore.
Unless "Christians" of today can now lie/steal/rape/mock...…
I really would like to hear something definitive on this question.....not a flippant remark.
Can anyone define a "Christian" for me? Is it merely about belief or is behaviour involved?
JMHO.

For me personally I don't belong to or affiliate myself with any group but have a belief in God, a creator. Where you see design there has to be a designer.
I don't do many of the things a so called Christian might be expected to do, I don't go to church, I don't own any sandals, I don't go around trying to convert people people, they make their own choices. I believe my church is my heart, a private place, which I don't need to advertise to others to say "look at me", after all a God would already know what's in your heart.
That being said, some Christians seem to blindly follow what it taught or told to them without fully understanding what it means, these people don't do Christianity any favours, just like the weekend Christians who may go to church regularly but they'd step over a homeless person during the week.

As for the rest of the b.s. about "gave his only begotten son" - that works only if you believe the fairy tale book. Last I read, there were a couple thousand "gods", what makes you think your's is the best? Again, faith is just that - faith. It ain't fact.

You focus too much on religion, or religions themselves, and the infighting of different groups, that's not a fault of God, man being man that will always happen, all the different groups still have to make their choices.
While slagging off the bible you seem to forget about where we all came from, who created life on earth in the first place?
Or do you place your bullsh*t faith in some kind of happy accident, that we just evolved from nothing.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 513
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 10:16:44 AM

I've worked with charities on committees and as a volunteer for at least 40 years and continue to do so. I also donate, not only my time but what monies I have to share. I did all this without god or feeling I had to do this because of a god.

Seems to me what you're saying is that your good deeds are better because a Christians good deeds are clouded by a belief in God. For shame!!!

As for the rest of the b.s. about "gave his only begotten son" - that works only if you believe the fairy tale book.

What an awe inspiring claim. Nothing like stating the obvious

Last I read, there were a couple thousand "gods", what makes you think your's is the best? Again, faith is just that - faith. It ain't fact.

True there are a lot of gods. People have faith in the Green Bay Packers and the New York Yankees. Have you never met a fanatical sports fan. How about White Supremacists? They have faith that so many peoples are inferior.What about PETA, they have a faith centered around animals and that they will change society's thinking. Faith is a fact yet you only belittle Christians.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 514
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 10:24:25 AM
Truth is, this is nothing but psychobabble. I am guessing they teach this crap in psychology somewhere.

You're Guessing? You have the whole internet to find out if it is taught in psychology instead of spouting your meaningless psychobabble. The resources are there yet you didn't bother to find out because it doesn't fit into your thinking .

People may like to seek validation from others....but conversion? Yea...sure thing

An excellent example There 7 billion people in this world and because you're the expert none of them are seeking conversion. Laughable
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 515
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 10:29:37 AM
And really, who is rude enough to preach to a stranger about not smoking?

Are you really that naive? It's happened to me. I reiterate 7 billion people in this world. Was it your psychic abilities that allowed you to preach it's never happened.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 516
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 10:31:12 AM

My line of thinking
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 517
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 10:45:16 AM
That being said, some Christians seem to blindly follow what it taught or told to them without fully understanding what it means, these people don't do Christianity any favours, just like the weekend Christians

Actually nonreligious people blindly follow other things and are easily taught so as children. Examples being, the oppression of the blacks, oppression of unions way back when they were beginning, the Red Scare and so on. Look at many of the world leaders who had minimum support yet managed to ravish various populations, think Khmer Rouge. As for the UK, care to share some examples? Boer war comes to mind.

that's not a fault of God, man being man that will always happen, all the different groups still have to make their choices.

Somebody got it right.
 jackal44
Msg: 518
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 10:47:10 AM

You're Guessing? You have the whole internet to find out if it is taught in psychology instead of spouting your meaningless psychobabble. The resources are there yet you didn't bother to find out because it doesn't fit into your thinking

Yep... I am "guessing" making an "educated guess"..I wasn't aware that I had to support my guesses by making an internet search....is there a rule book here mandating my making the effort? Its possible I never got the mandate.

An excellent example There 7 billion people in this world and because you're the expert none of them are seeking conversion. Laughable

Yep..rational, normal people are not seeking "conversion", it would be pretty pathetic if normal people sought "validation" for their beliefs, i.e, wanted others to tell them how to think...which come to think of it is where organized religion comes in...right?
 jackal44
Msg: 519
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 10:53:33 AM
FFS38..now you seem to be playing a different tune.... you are expressing a belief in "God" but not a personal God, and that is a whole lot different than believing in the Bible or accepting organized religious beliefs as having the answers. I go through the same thought processes. I completely reject things like Christianity, primarily because I believe the teaching of hell and damnation and the threats of going there to be barbaric, and I do not believe there is any God who listens to prayers or really cares what man believes for himself or doesn't, but we do have laws of physics, which may or may not be divine inspired.......there are really only two possibilities....we happen to live in a Universe, one of an infinite number, where the laws of physics developed "randomly" into what they are OR they were designed.....the real question there is designed by who or what?
 Seamist474
Msg: 520
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 11:15:37 AM

Seems to me what you're saying is that your good deeds are better because a Christians good deeds are clouded by a belief in God. For shame!!!

Nope, I'm not saying that at all, don't put words in my mouth. No good deeds are "better" than other good deeds - you just don't need to believe in a god to do good deeds.

What an awe inspiring claim. Nothing like stating the obvious[/quote']

It is obvious to most, its a book, like any other book that was written by men.

As for faith, you still miss the point. All religions are based on faith, not facts.
 FFS38
Msg: 521
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 11:35:43 AM

you seem to be playing a different tune.... you are expressing a belief in "God" but not a personal God, and that is a whole lot different than believing in the Bible or accepting organized religious beliefs as having the answers. I go through the same thought processes.

@Jackal44 -
I am not, as you describe, playing a different tune, I dance to my own.

As I expressed, I do see my God as a personal God, that's why I said there's a place in my heart, not everybody gets to go there, only the things that mean something to me. I hope I'm explaining myself succinctly and you understand where I'm coming from.
 jackal44
Msg: 522
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 3:13:20 PM
^^^ well this guy is on your side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6AHcv19NIc
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 523
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2019 8:15:55 PM
Way to Rise above This!
You make some very valid points. I really like the way you play the Devil's Advocate and call out the very real flaws and flak in some of the reasoning in these post without getting personal.
Posted: 5/6/2019 10:59:18 PM

I think you're viewing the whole concept in the wrong way....as in no one's gonna tell ME how I should live my life. I don't think God is out to get people to massage his ego, more like a father wanting the best path for his potentially wayward children.

I'd hate to think of any father threatening his children with the "worship me or burn" ultimatum, but that's what we have, along with being responsible for the genocidal act of drowning his "children" in a flood. Interestingly, this act was committed by an allegedly "perfect" being, which admitted regret over creating human beings. A perfect being made a mistake? It's awfully peculiar an allegedly omniscient being didn't see this coming, as well.

These Christians who offered you words of comfort were just trying to help in the way they knew best, it can be imposing, feel annoying and you may feel patronised but if they didn't offer you ANY words of comfort you'd probably shoot them down for it, so they can't really win.

These were people who knew me well enough to know their speaking of "God" would only be antagonistic. A simple offering of their condolences would have sufficed, and they knew it. It was essentially their way of saying "so, are you ready to submit NOW??"

Christians are very adept at doing this, for some its their calling, their mission.

Yes, and they're in my neighborhood nearly every weekend. Neither I or anyone I know has ever had an atheist proselytizer show up at their door.

Why would it be despicable to offer one the same hope that brings so much comfort to the other? To wish tragedy upon anyone?

Hope can be offered without the religious preaching they KNEW I had no use for, but insisted on puking in my lap, anyway. Much worse shit was said behind my back and revealed to me by a blabbermouth.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life. ... For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Yes, this omnipotent being chose bloody sacrifice out of the infinite ways it could have dealt with the matter. I honestly don't know how anyone can find anything beautiful and loving about this. I truly don't.

No, but we are certainly inferior.

No, you might feel inferior, but I don't. People can say and think whatever they want about me for my disbelief based on lack of compelling evidence, but I can honestly say I am not the bloodthirsty bully the God of the Bible is portrayed to be.
 FFS38
Msg: 525
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 1:56:55 AM

I'd hate to think of any father threatening his children with the "worship me or burn" ultimatum, but that's what we have, along with being responsible for the genocidal act of drowning his "children" in a flood. Interestingly, this act was committed by an allegedly "perfect" being, which admitted regret over creating human beings. A perfect being made a mistake? It's awfully peculiar an allegedly omniscient being didn't see this coming, as well.

Pigofyourdreams ~
Though I defend religion I do not claim by any means to be an authority on the subject and I would say there is much I don't understand, or perhaps that could be much WE don't understand or comprehend with our limited human thinking. If you read post 512 I give an indication of how I feel about religion.
Now I know that the Bible is often a victim of passages being cherry picked for scrutiny and ridiculed, it receives a lot of flak on that, but nonetheless it is probably the deepest piece of literature ever written, the fact that it is so prevalent in our lives to this day proves this. I can't provide answers for you as I have never read the whole of the Bible but I do understand that some of it's translation may have been lost or perhaps corrupted by men over the centuries to suit their own agenda as such is the way of man.
So my point with religion really starts with God, I believe in a creator, as I expressed earlier, you can't have intricate design without a designer.
That means I have to take the bible seriously even though I don't fully understand all of its complexities, it would be an odd position to be in to believe in God but reject the bible.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?