Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 526
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 22 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
Yep... I am "guessing" making an "educated guess"

Now that is frickin' hilarious

So what you're saying is

You have faith in your "wild guess"despite the fact you have no proof

Isn't that sort of like

A Christian who has faith that God exists despite the fact there is no proof

In order to make an "educated guess" one has to have some education about the topic at hand. Admit it, you made a "wild guess based on your fantasies about psychology. What's next, making up statistics to prove your point.

I never got the mandate.

Let me explain the mandate to you. If you're going to bullshit your way through a post expect someone to call you on it.

it would be pretty pathetic if normal people sought "validation" for their beliefs,

Seeking validation happens to some one everyday. Basic psycholgy. Of course i might be just making one of your "wild guesses
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 527
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 5/7/2019 5:44:39 AM

Yep..rational, normal people are not seeking "conversion", it would be pretty pathetic if normal people sought "validation" for their beliefs, i.e, wanted others to tell them how to think...which come to think of it is where organized religion comes in...right?

I think it is fairly obvious that I am a "rational, normal" person. I sought conversion and I am so thankful I did. When Christians get together for worship and fellowship, they are perhaps seeking validation and confirmation of their beliefs. Pretty normal really when you consider how difficult it can be to continue belief in the invisible, all knowing God who doesn't tell us how to think but how to be saved. I can only speak for myself and my own thoughts and experiences because I really can't say how others feel.....
 jackal44
Msg: 528
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 5:56:38 AM
""""wild guess"""

That is simply you projecting. When you are well read and educated, lots of things can be fairly deduced without having to research it. For example, recognizing psychobabble and recognizing the source for psychobabble is other psychobabble, but you have to use have reasoning ability to use reason. That's why this is over your head.

""" Seeking validation happens to some one everyday. Basic psycholgy."""

Maybe if you are a child or have a childlike mentality Functioning people grow up, but you are right, not all do. Far too many, trump supporters for example, are told how they should think and seek validation from others with the same albeit absurd thought processes. Group think. The more rational and intelligent though are more likely to be capable of independent thought.

Think the fake news mantra. Trump plants a thought in your head, others parrot the thought and before you know it, the less critically thinking believe fake news is the standard.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 529
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 7:55:41 AM
^Have you heard of cognitive dissonance? It is a rather easy concept to understand.

Every normal person seeks validation in a variety of forms as a means to help justify our choices and decisions esp. when it pertains to a belief that may have caused or continues to cause cognitive dissonance. "Conversion" <----notice the quotes...in my earlier post was meant in a persuasion context....which is simply one method by which self-validation and self-justification is achieved.

Not psychobabble. :)

Ps. "When you are well read and educated, lots of things can be fairly deduced without having to research it."

***You are attempting to justify your choice to not research and validate that choice by "persuading" the reader of your self report of being "well read and educated" (appeals to a higher authority) :D

cooldog65
Msg: 530
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 8:24:05 AM

Yes, and they're in my neighborhood nearly every weekend. Neither I or anyone I know has ever had an atheist proselytizer show up at their door.

They knock on my door even though I have a "No Soliciting" sign right there at eye level. I just don't answer. How about respecting my sign?
 jackal44
Msg: 531
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 9:19:28 AM

^Have you heard of cognitive dissonance? It is a rather easy concept to understand.
cog·ni·tive dis·so·nance
nounPSYCHOLOGY
the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.

Your error is believing cognitive dissonance is at play here. You assume so much.

Every normal person seeks validation in a variety of forms as a means to help justify our choices and decisions

Bullsh^t..... "variety of forms" is vague...regardless not all people or even most functioning adults seek "validation" for their beliefs...or choices. I choose to believe or not believe in God based on my own reasoning....I don't give a damn what you or others believe nor do I care what the bible has to say about it. I may seek out scientific explanations for the creation of the Universe....to "justify" my belief but right now there are only theories....I don't really care what Hawking said about it, nor what Dawkins said....but I did read Dawkins's the God delusion and agreed with him, mainly because his thoughts were the same as mine (although he does a far better job of putting his thoughts on paper than could I). At the same time, I have read books by "Christians" to see if any of the information they use to justify their beliefs makes sense and concluded it is all nonsense...that they give up on reason and common sense to justify their own beliefs. You see Ms. Million...intelligent, critical thinking people don't need "validation" to believe what they choose to believe. They need to have only faith in their own reasoning abilities.

esp. when it pertains to a belief that may have caused or continues to cause cognitive dissonance.

Maybe so, but you have to assume somebody has some sort of "cognitive dissonance" for this to kick in.....which I am sure you do by being a Trump supporter....you know deep down he is a cruel man with cruel policies so you have to validate your agreeing with him one way or the other I guess. In my case, I simply have no problem completely rejecting him...no validation necessary..no cognitive dissonance. I am simply right in my opinions about Trump, and you Ms. Million are simply "wrong" in your support of him.
 jackal44
Msg: 532
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 9:27:50 AM
^^^ by the way Ms. Million, your friend Pig has this down cold...he has used his reasoning ability to completely reject the Christian faith...no validation necessary. He correctly observed that the whole concept of God sacrificing his son Jesus to the cross is a ridiculous concept for an omnipotent God when he could have cleansed mankind of sin simply by abolishing all sin or any other way he wanted given he is "omnipotent" . Remember, Pig went through 10 years of religious training where they tried to brainwash him by forcing him to accept their beliefs through the "validation" of the bible. He wasn't buying though...nor should any rational, critically thinking human being. And I don't need any validation to believe this way...I simply believe it...truth is even when I was a child, I rejected the concept of a personal God, primarily because it was obvious if there was a "personal god", there would not be any cruelty in the world....and then along comes Trump. Just saying.

(ah yes.... since a loving, perfect God would not create cruelty, they had to create Satan to account for the cruelty in the world......ingenious thinking but obvious nonsense for any thinking human being without regard to validating the nonsensical nature of religious Bullsh^t.)
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 533
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 9:34:44 AM
Interesting that you can not focus on the topic of religion without skewing into a tirade about Trump.

Just saying. ;) ;)
 jackal44
Msg: 534
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 9:36:58 AM
^^^^because Trump is proof there is no God. A trump could not exist if there was a "perfect" God because a "perfect" God would not allow for the existence of cretins like Trump. Nor would he allow Trumpsters to have so little reasoning ability that they would be perfectly okay with Trump's cruelty.

Of course, Trump is not the only cruel man who has ever existed, but he exists in our world and we have to deal with him...those of us who are rational and reasonable and do not understand how a man like him gets support from so many in our country.........a country I once respected...not so much anymore.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 535
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 10:03:15 AM
I am sorry you don't respect our wonderful country anymore.

How do you feel about Israel in light of them naming town squares and soon an entire town after President Trump aka “mensch par excellence.” ?

Must be rather triggering.
 jackal44
Msg: 536
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 10:46:28 AM
^ More like I have so little respect for the Republican Political party...who show no respect for decency, justice, the rule of law or anything else and I am disappointed in the 40% of the country who see no problems supporting a man like Trump...a pathological liar devoid of decency, dignity or integrity. He is the biggest representative of our country and has hurt all of us...by the way, sure seems like he is now starting to lie about Iran....probably going to try to take us to war with it....just another piece of cr^p President who sees no value in human life. And yes his complete lack of integrity has consequences.... I don't believe a thing that comes out of his admin about Iran targeting America....just a pretext to attack......

As for Israel, we have already discussed that. I am tickled pink that Trump is a big supporter of Israel...that does not change the fact he is a cruel man or I support him.
 Noftheborder
Msg: 537
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 10:56:07 AM
pffft...Trump isn't a big supporter of anything but himself. This was likely a branding deal made just prior to his "support". Replacing bupkes with Mensch would be far more appropriate.
 jackal44
Msg: 538
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 12:05:08 PM
^^^^its not only Trump but his supporters and enablers who are destroying the country and the economy...the same people who obstructed Obama. I will try to give Ms. Million the benefit of the doubt and try to assume she is just completely clueless about what is going on, but maybe she is not clueless, maybe she knows and is cheering it on.
 N2U18
Msg: 539
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 12:07:00 PM
Talking about Israel, that Palestinian Baby that was killed by Israeli airstrikes is horrifying and all over MSM. Nothing like a conversation about decency, dignity, and integrity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hSn4-F4zjE
 jackal44
Msg: 540
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 12:34:43 PM
^^^ yea except Islamic Jihad admits killed by their own rockets....but you know, war is a terrible thing...shoot rockets into Israel and expect retaliation....

Noftheborder
Msg: 541
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 12:47:25 PM
^Everything about this and any other conflict based on religion is disgusting. Although there is more to the Israel Palestinian conflict than religious concerns, once again, religion is a large part of it. https://www.washingtoninstitute.org/fikraforum/view/religion-and-the-israel-palestinian-conflict-cause-consequence-and-cure

A large faction of humans seem to be self-serving and more often than not use religion as a basis to back up their self-serving interests. However, if it weren't for religion, the self-serving among us would probably be waging war and other atrocities in the name of something else. As has been stated by many, many times, religions in and of themselves aren't the evil - it's the atrocities committed in the name of them that are by evil peoples.
 jackal44
Msg: 542
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 2:15:58 PM
Yeo... targeting Europe's Jews for extermination is beyond disgusting, as is every other genocide perpetrated for national or religious interests. Like our exterminating indians...therein lies humanities evil.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 543
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 2:21:21 PM
Based on evolution theory.....why does "evil"....in the non spiritual sense, of course....exist?

Population control?

Posted: 5/7/2019 2:24:10 PM

Now I know that the Bible is often a victim of passages being cherry picked for scrutiny and ridiculed

Which is justified in many cases. The Bible is inundated with contradictions that can't be rectified with contextual clarification.

or perhaps that could be much WE don't understand or comprehend with our limited human thinking.

This goes back to my point regarding the "beyond our understanding" notion so many Christians offer when presented with difficult questions they can't answer. How can one possibly have faith in something they don't understand? What sort of "God" would hand down an infinite punishment for non-belief based on the handicap of limited understanding? Such a sadistic trap that I simply can't fathom being a reality.

So my point with religion really starts with God, I believe in a creator, as I expressed earlier, you can't have intricate design without a designer.

But we run into the problem of infinite regress when the question of "who designed the designer?" enters the equation. I have never professed science has the answer for everything or that it ever will, but at least a continuous effort is made. As a result, so much has been learned and advancement in technology has been made possible, which is more than I can say for religions that harbor a "thou shall never question this" mindset over a book of claims.
 jackal44
Msg: 545
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 2:25:28 PM
^^^^how about survival of the fittest and competition for scarce goods? Still, there is no accounting for psychopathy is there? The brain is a highly complex organ and is easily corrupted is my guess. Simpletons do not dream of world conquest.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 546
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 2:36:47 PM
^Are "goods" really scarce at this point in evolution?

Should't some of humanity's negative traits disappeared by now?

vvvvvThat was a good video clip! Thanks, Mr. Jackal! And you Mr. FF. I din't watch it until I saw your post. :)
 FFS38
Msg: 547
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 2:45:55 PM

how about survival of the fittest

Haha, that went out of the window when better health care *evolved.*

Jackal why do you argue against God and religion and yet send me a link that supports God and religion?

Very good video by the way.
 Noftheborder
Msg: 548
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 3:23:48 PM

Are "goods" really scarce at this point in evolution?

Should't some of humanity's negative traits disappeared by now?

That would depend on the nature of the "goods" that are scarce. They aren't comprised of strictly food and water but any merchandise or possession.

I would imagine some of humanity's negative traits have disappeared - what hasn't is self-interest. Self-interest would appear to be a lingering inborn trait just like reproduction is an inborn trait, i.e., even though there is no longer a reason to reproduce due to over-population in some areas, even though there is under-population in others. The self-interest takes over in that regard because of a fear of intermingling the nationalities/races because of a misguided fear of slowing down evolution - likely the basis for racism without realizing it. The brightest among us are not as evolved as we think they are - apparently evolution has a long way to go yet and religion isn't necessarily helping in that regard.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 549
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 7:25:03 PM
I still say yes. Christianity and any idea of who we and God are [If there is a God] ... Can be combined.....

As long as you keep this thought [And song lyrics by Blood, Sweat and Tears] …. In mind.

I can swear there ain't no heaven, but I pray there ain't no hell.
And I'll never know by living, only my dying will tell, yes only my dying will tell....

With this in mind, your idea or philosophy of life on this rock is every bit as good as mine. I am always willing to listen until my common sense is overwhelmed. Or life is threatened by extremism in a belief, or thought... Expressed in violence.

Live and let live, till we no longer are able to do so. It's our lives I say why not enjoy it together? I say we can do this if we want to.

After all, we all are here and now. Why not try making the trip more enjoyable for everyone? Our collective abilities to do this are better now than ever IMHO.
 jackal44
Msg: 550
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2019 8:22:37 PM
***Should't some of humanity's negative traits disappeared by now?***
The point of your query? Isn't a far more important question that of why so many are so easily conned by the Grifter in chief, even you ms million? Btw, no shocker to me that Trump lost billions in business. He is doing the same to the country.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?