Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Double Cabin
Msg: 551
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 23 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
Some of the greatest women I've ever known have been Christians. Unfortunately most of the worst I've known have professed to be Christian as well.

Despite the great works of many ultimately Institutionalized Christian Mythology has unequivocally been the most divisive and thereby destructive force in the history of humankind. The central, unsubstantiated, tenet of the faith, that only an unquestioning faith that Christ is the only means of ultimate salvation, makes it a cult not terribly unlike many we condemn regularly. Inform some "Christians" of this facet of objective reality and you'll likely be condemned to hell if not far worse.

My father killed a lot of fascists and if he were alive today he'd tell you that the deplorable assertion that there are no atheists in foxholes was as big a crock of fecal material as that utterly unsubstantiated let alone proven central tenet. He married my mother and never disgraced her Catholic Faith. He embraced good works but not duplicitous, ultimately divisive tripe. The arrogance and hypocrisy of today's agenda laden "Christians" embracing a deceitful, narcissistic self absorbed schmuck as President is not only unequivocally unAmerican it is without doubt void of any sense of decency and my Aunt that was a powerful Mother Superior would be rolling in her grave.

These inescapable realities and deductive assertions aside I've been fortunate to be intimate with a few genuine Christian women. As day to day critical thinkers these women knew the realities of their faith and the constraints of decency far to many have tragically forgotten. Demonstrate your faith is grounded in good works, inclusion, and basic human decency instead of an institutionalized fear of an apparently quite confused deity that contradicts itself regularly and a good person will look beyond the lack of logic and love you for who you are, not your religious declaration. Demand your partner embrace your mythology instead of simply employing the good character of decency and inclusion you'll likely not leave this world better for having you. Among the greatest of loves is to tell us what we need to hear, not what we want to.
 jackal44
Msg: 552
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 5/8/2019 7:48:43 AM
"Jackal why do you argue against God and religion and yet send me a link that supports God and religion"..

Supports God, not religion. I have always said that if God created our Universe, he is a creation outside our Universe. That only makes sense
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 553
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2019 5:23:58 PM
Nope, I'm not saying that at all, don't put words in my mouth

You wrote the words. Seems to me I interpreted them and that's what the forums are all about.

As for faith, you still miss the point. All religions are based on faith, not facts.

And not all faith requires religion. Stalin, Mao and others. Enough people had faith in them which allowed them to stay in power. Faith is not based on religion
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 554
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2019 5:28:56 PM
Neither I or anyone I know has ever had an atheist proselytizer show up at their door.

What's your address? I have nothing to do this weekend
 FFS38
Msg: 555
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2019 11:05:34 AM

Supports God, not religion. I have always said that if God created our Universe, he is a creation outside our Universe. That only makes sense

So you believe in God but not the accounts of the bible?
 jackal44
Msg: 556
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2019 12:21:37 PM
^^^^ I won't go that far. I will say though that if there is a God, he is not a personal God so yes, I see the Bible as BS and for all intents and purposes, there is no God out there to answer our prayers...I still wonder about some sort of God though because I have trouble accepting the Universe, with all of its rules and matter just exploded out of nothing in a spontaneous matter...but as noted by another poster......sooner or later if there is a God....you will regress to the point of who or what created the creator....I have trouble accepting he always existed, but if there is no flow of time, perhaps that is not an issue either.

The bible itself is a contradictory bunch of fantasy........of that I have no doubt.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 557
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2019 6:57:18 PM

He correctly observed that the whole concept of God sacrificing his son Jesus to the cross is a ridiculous concept for an omnipotent God when he could have cleansed mankind of sin simply by abolishing all sin or any other way he wanted given he is "omnipotent"

Why would God have wanted a bunch of perfect little robots down here? Where is the challenge for anyone in that? Mankind has the freedom of choice, including Trump and the people who elected him.

How can one possibly have faith in something they don't understand?

I have faith in love and I feel God's love for me.

I still wonder about some sort of God though because I have trouble accepting the Universe, with all of its rules and matter just exploded out of nothing in a spontaneous matter...

Seems really contradictory in light of everything else you have said. So you can believe that an Omnipotent Being created the universe and all that's in it but you can't believe in any of the Bible that actually describes creation.

The bible itself is a contradictory bunch of fantasy........of that I have no doubt.

Having been written by some 40 authors, all with their own memories and knowledge, there is bound to be contradiction. The authors were all human and not infallible.

DAY 79!!!!!
My daughter has a weekend pass! I pick her up in the morning and am so excited to see her!
 backcreek7
Msg: 558
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2019 9:26:36 PM
am so excited to see her

^^^ ... daughters are surely a gift from God & a sign that love and goodness truly exist ...

... heart/ daughters / sun ...

... I am very proud of you Shirley, your faith has enabled you, to pursue a miracle within yourself ...

... heart / miracle / sun ...
Posted: 5/10/2019 8:22:33 AM

The authors were all human and not infallible.

The allegedly infallible being leaves getting his "perfect word" out to fallible beings, thus leading to contradictions and inaccuracies.

Yet there's wonder as to why one might be skeptical. Go figure.
 FFS38
Msg: 560
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2019 12:54:28 PM
The bible still remains extremely relevant in our everyday lives, no one can deny that, our whole fabric of society is built upon it, I don't think that situation's ever gonna change.
I think being such a deep and large body of work there's not going to be many here that have given enough study to it, or even read it all, to pass themselves off as authority's on the subject.
Best leave that to the scholars who devote much of their lives studying it and, so it's not biased, the historians who also spend years studying it coming from a completely neutral non religious standpoint.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 561
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2019 1:32:08 PM
^^^msg#560:
The bible still remains extremely relevant in our everyday lives, no one can deny that, our whole fabric of society is built upon it, I don't think that situation's ever gonna change.

Sort of off topic BUT,

I actually read the book War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy(i) this winter.

AND. The more things change, the more they stay the same~

;-)
 jackal44
Msg: 562
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2019 2:55:22 PM
"""The bible still remains extremely relevant in our everyday lives, no one can deny that, our whole fabric of society is built upon it, I don't think that situation's ever gonna change. """

I completely deny it. The bible means nothing in my life and you seem to think morality comes out of the bible. Nonsense
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 563
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2019 6:08:50 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

you seem to think morality comes out of the bible. Nonsense

You really don't have a clue about history and how society developed. Well once upon a time in a land far, far away Jesus was born and he eventually morphed into the Catholic church which controlled all of society for hundreds of year's. Now the funny thing about the Catholic church all their teachings are based on the bible which resulted in

Morals of the time being determined by the church based on the Bible. Of course many morals had been established before this all happened. The Koran also came into being and look at the type of morals it teaches to some people now.

Damn I wish you people would put the number of the post you're quoting up. It would make it a hell of a lot easier to follow the conversations. It also might attract new posters. There are a lot of people who look at the threads and don't post. One thread has only 460 posts yet almost 20,000 views.
 jackal44
Msg: 564
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2019 6:17:21 AM
Fairytales are not history and only the clueless believe the bible is necessary to have morals.

_Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 565
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2019 6:03:28 PM
^^^^^
Well since no one said the bible is necessary to have morals I imagine you brought it up because you were desperate for a reply.

Fairytales are not history

Actually what I wrote was history in the form of a fairytale . I have to say it's pathetic how you couldn't address that because it was so much easier to dismiss it as you usually do.

How did you become so intolerant of others?
 jackal44
Msg: 566
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 12:45:14 PM
^^^^^ When did you stop beating your wife?

Seamist474
Msg: 567
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 5:20:43 PM
Double Cabin nailed it in #551.

He embraced good works but not duplicitous, ultimately divisive tripe. The arrogance and hypocrisy of today's agenda laden "Christians" embracing a deceitful, narcissistic self absorbed schmuck as President is not only unequivocally unAmerican it is without doubt void of any sense of decency and my Aunt that was a powerful Mother Superior would be rolling in her grave.

I don't think that anyone who supports Trump is a true christian. IMO, fake christian.

B.S. You put everything you think you know as to coming from the bible, you do know that there were others around prior to the bible, great intelligent people from other parts of the world doing amazing things in creating, building, thinking, making, doing and those folks had gods too or beliefs or many gods. The bible is nothing compared to what other civilizations were doing at the time of Jesus, if Jesus was even a real person. Do you not think that other civilizations had a bearing on how we think today or belief today? Christians were damn stupid compared to others around the world, those not living in the desert and following that sky wizard.

Do you not think other religions and those non religious didn't have the basics of "do no harm" or "do unto others"? Geez. The arrogance and ignorance of some christians.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 568
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 5:27:39 PM
566 jackal44

When did you stop beating your wife?

That's it???? That's the best response you could come up with??? That one sentence pretty much proves how pathetic and pointless your comments on this thread have been.
 jackal44
Msg: 569
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2019 5:37:19 PM
^^^^over your head I see..its an improper assumption, a false premise...how old are you? I thought everyone got this. It was in response to your intolerance accusation, also based on a false premise although its possible the allegation is/was factual?
Posted: 5/13/2019 4:39:12 AM

he bible still remains extremely relevant in our everyday lives, no one can deny that, our whole fabric of society is built upon it, I don't think that situation's ever gonna change.

In what regard? In terms of morality? Morality predates Christianity.

I think being such a deep and large body of work there's not going to be many here that have given enough study to it, or even read it all

We were forced to read it in class throughout my schooling. Every student in class had to read a section of it out loud until the teacher decided it was another student's turn. To this day, I still recall having to read a section of Exodus out loud and pausing several times due to the utter shock of what I was reading. I implore anyone who hasn't read this rather colorful section of the Bible to do so.

Best leave that to the scholars who devote much of their lives studying it

Not all of them are Christians or subscribers of any other religions nor do they agree on everything.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 571
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2019 1:25:56 PM
I watched the Netflix movie based on a true story by Lee Strobbel entitled 'The Case for Christ'. Very enlightening and information. Basically a journalist who is a true believer in FACT, sets out to prove that God does not exist and he could not.
DAY 83!!!
 FFS38
Msg: 572
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2019 1:31:32 PM

Morality predates Christianity

That goes without saying, just like God predates Christianity.

To this day, I still recall having to read a section of Exodus out loud and pausing several times due to the utter shock of what I was reading. I implore anyone who hasn't read this rather colorful section of the Bible to do so.

It is a book of the harshness of life and all that comes with it,
what were you expecting...everything watered down and diluted?

Not all of them are Christians or subscribers of any other religions nor do they agree on everything.

In my post I did state that (see below)

Best leave that to the scholars who devote much of their lives studying it and, so it's not biased, the historians who also spend years studying it coming from a completely neutral non religious standpoint.
Posted: 5/15/2019 5:26:33 AM

It is a book of the harshness of life and all that comes with it,
what were you expecting...everything watered down and diluted?

I was honestly not expecting the endorsement of slavery, frankly. The slaves are referred to as "property", so there's really no way for anyone to pull the "but you're taking it out of context" argument. It also states they can be beaten with a rod as long as the slave does not die.

I watched the Netflix movie based on a true story by Lee Strobbel entitled 'The Case for Christ'. Very enlightening and information. Basically a journalist who is a true believer in FACT, sets out to prove that God does not exist and he could not.

I don't understand why he even bothered considering the burden of proof is on those making the assertion something exists.
 jackal44
Msg: 574
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2019 6:20:52 AM
^^^^^^ how could somebody prove God does not exist? That doesn't make sense, though Hawking did argue God does not need to exist to explain creation. He did just that.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?