Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LGL1975
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

I was raised in the Christian Reformed Church developed by Dutch immigrants which held to such very strict and devout concepts of religion that I was driven away. Although I always struggled with doubts, I wanted to believe in the promise of Salvation. Somehow just in the past few days, I have managed to develop this amazing, firm committment towards a change in my life which I am going to attribute to GOD!

I was born in Holland. The Dutch protestant religion is a reflection of squarehead society in general. Northern European people are very judgemental and critical of those who don't look, dress, talk or act the way they deem correct. Especially your own family.

In my experience people usually leave the NHK for personal reasons.
 cotter
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 2/28/2019 12:23:38 PM
Seems to me POF and any religion ... or lack of religion ... can be easily combined.

All you have to do is write in your profile what you are looking for and to what extent it's important to you and don't accept anything less.

I personally think POF is lacking in that they do not have a space for people to express their level of political activity or at least their expectation of what they are looking for in a partner. I do not want a partner who is the political opposite of me ... I have no desire to spend the rest of my life in debate mode.

Some folks like to debate every waking moment and in that case then they need to seek someone who thinks and believes the opposite ... then go for it. It would be easier then if there was some place on here that allows us to state our political view ... ultra conservative ... moderately conservative ... conservative ... liberal ... etc. Or how about red or blue or purple ... or no color at all?

As for the OP ... filter your searches for ultra religious (if that's what you seek) and see what you come up with.
 platitude545
Msg: 53
Posted: 2/28/2019 12:49:39 PM

loving New Testament God,

Is that the one sending everybody but a few select Christians to hell left and right?
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2019 6:05:01 PM
Msg: 50

">>>seems like He was ok killing first born children of Egypt, back when Moses and the band were playing there."

He was? How does it "seem" "like He was ok killing first born children of Egypt"?

The rest of your questions can be answered by studying the Bible, preferably, a Bible study group setting if you are really interested....too much of an effort for me to go there.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2019 6:50:33 PM
#54 Million... Your idea about joining a bible study group might just be the type of thing the OP could benefit from.

If she were involved in such a group she could learn more about her faith.... She could share ideas and ask questions from others who shared her interests. She may even meet someone of suitable compatibility.

Bible study.... Good suggestion Million.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2019 10:48:01 AM

Otherwise, if God allows so many millions of non Christians worship falsely...that doesn't seem too fair. And what about the humans who lived before Jesus came to earth, what happens to their souls?

God allows us to make our own choices including the way we worship but we know what it takes for true Salvation. It is not for us to judge.
Your second question is difficult and I sure don't have an answer. This is also something I have struggled with and I may not find the answer but in my heart, I know that God is fair and just and loves us all. It seems that those who never had the opportunity to know him will anwer to God in their own ways. After all, there has always been good and evil.
I don't know these things. Anyone?

On another note......In spite of the hardship of 2 nights of excruciating toothache, I am on the mend and ON DAY 10!
I saw my daughter last night and she is truly an inspiration! One of the girls graduated the program after the year long course and I attended the celebration. So proud of her and all those who have gone from Teen Challenge to live happy, healthy and productive lives devoted to Christ.
 Inicia
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2019 12:44:39 PM
being in the spirit of divine is not relegated to christianity jesus was not a christian.. a telling verse is the parable of the vineyard-sent many and what was done beat and stoned them, killed, sent my son and you killed him, too... i will give the vineyard to others. mark 12

those who honored and still honor the divine or even those who don't :jesus died for all.. even those who refuse religion, have the measure of faith romans 12:3.. skeptics and atheist have Faith in other things Such as their divine science or natural processes. this will be a huge can of worms.. you can eat those without me..

If people need to believe in a hell and heaven as reward and punishment for whatever reasons it is a personal choice..for myself my faith lies not in reward or punishment-yet in reverence And awe of the divine energy that we all contain.. if by others beliefs i need go to hell for their peace of mind, i am blessed in a will of G-d if that would assign such a gift unto me and in an eternity i will be back around in the blink of an eye...

the "OMG Chronicles" by Peter Rodger is an interesting reflection upon some of these questions..
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2019 1:03:02 PM
"He was? How does it "seem" "like He was ok killing first born children of Egypt"? "

>>since you don't have the effort for Bible study, you can google "what is Passover". Or we can get technical, and point out there had to be infanticide during the Great Flood. don't worry, during my years in Catholic schools, I asked the nuns and they couldn't really answer it either. I mean, they had an answer, but not a very logical one. Just like Jesus dying on a cross isn't a willingness to take one's own life (suicide is a mortal sin) if He knew He would rise again (which makes it not a sacrifice if He knows the outcome, then its just a task to perform), or why did He need to die when God is All Powerful and can create the laws of nature. I think it was Nietzsche who wondered, if an adult treated their child as God treats His, would that be parental neglect? "One of God's mysteries".

"God allows us to make our own choices, including the way we worship....I know that God is fair"

>>>but what if a person in a third world country does not get prostelatyzed? i too wish to believe God is fair, and considering the similarities in what the religions of the world request of their followers...perhaps God truly is All? If there can be a Holy Trinity, can be there also be multiple forms? The Muslim religion does consider Jesus to be a prophet...
 platitude545
Msg: 59
Posted: 3/1/2019 1:25:21 PM
" I know that God is fair and just and loves us all."

And yet, did not your God invent Hell? How does a just a loving God invent a place where he can torture his creations for all eternity? Does that seem like a fair and just and loving God?

Think of it like this...I am minding my own business enjoying the peace of my non-existence...next thing I know, I am plucked out of non-existence, momentarily crushed, and then placed on a cold table.......and before I know it, I am given all of these rules and regulations I need to follow that I never agreed to...and if I don't follow to the letter of those edicts...my Father sends me to hell for all eternity. Wouldn't it be a little more just to simply deny me entrance to Heaven and send me back to non-existence? That is pretty much what the tyrant of the Old testament does. Why does the supposedly improved, kinder and loving God have to be so cruel? Serious question by the way.....the whole concept makes zero sense to me. (or maybe the Calvinists who made this stuff up are full of sh^t?)
 platitude545
Msg: 60
Posted: 3/1/2019 1:30:37 PM

Just like Jesus dying on a cross isn't a willingness to take one's own life (suicide is a mortal sin) if He knew He would rise again (which makes it not a sacrifice if He knows the outcome, then its just a task to perform),

Yep....I still don't get the dying for the sins of mankind bit. Thousands were crucified by the Romans back then....God just had a bad day on the day of his Crucifixion, and it was a day he planned for himself. He decided...before he even created the world, that he was going to die at the designated time and place on the cross for people who were not even created yet, had not even sinned yet...and this was going to be for the sins of mankind, which hadn't been created yet either.

I mean...he creates Adam.....gives him all of these desires like hunger for really tasty apples...and then punishes him and Eve for doing what came naturally from the attributes he gave them to begin with. If he didn't want them to eat a damn apple, why did he create apples to begin with?

Really strange stuff.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2019 2:53:30 PM
"Yep....I still don't get the dying for the sins of mankind bit. "

Pure self-sacrifice is the ultimate expression of love.
 LGL1975
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2019 3:10:48 PM
Christianity was invented by the Roman aristocracy.

Remember kids... turn the other cheek, give Caesar his due, and we's all gon be pals in heaven
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2019 3:14:59 PM
^Incorrect.

Inicia
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2019 6:22:18 PM
there was no punishment the first couple wanted knowledge and hid in shame(feeling dirty and fvil-which they knew not prior to chewing to the core must have been the arsenic in the seeds)separating human flesh from the divine and evil(cause they knew what it was now) blame game began its crystal clear, jesus card was planned and still offered immortality even though the death was the punishment supposed to be carried out if in they ate of that tree. all sin is mortal separation from the divine..lol that is why we die lol. venal mortal f-in hysterical.
the pistis sophia, gnostic and nag hammadi text can flesh it out little clearer.
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2019 6:33:20 PM

Christianity was invented by the Roman aristocracy.

Christianty came into being when Jesus began to spread the word of God. It's based on his teachings and life.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2019 6:35:19 PM
I am learning a lot just from following this thread. In fact, this is in many ways POF's version of bible school.

So,deep in the synapses of my curious mind.... I think Christianity and POF can be combined.
 LGL1975
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2019 6:57:31 PM
Oh sure Jesus was "real" and your 2000 year old kool-aid is better than fine wine.
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2019 8:54:26 PM
this topic was about help.

believe in a higher power or dont.

help. or dont.

I still will.
even though my God's are different.
makes no difference to me.
 platitude545
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/2/2019 10:30:51 AM
^^^^Nobody here expects everybody to share their belief in the bible and I suspect every rational person has some doubts. Huge difference between challenging the literal translations of the bible or questioning the existence of God or proclaiming, as Jovan did, that each and every believer is mentally ill. Everybody here is supportive of OP and wishes her well.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2019 7:55:49 PM
Some very interesting posts.
What with the toothache and medications, I've been out of commission for a few days. Feeling much better finally and can busy on some responses soon. Day 13 tomorrow! With God's help. Night, night.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2019 5:25:19 AM
Shirley
"What with the toothache and medications, I've been out of commission for a few days. Feeling much better finally and can busy on some responses soon. Day 13 tomorrow! With God's help. Night, night."

As someone who is like a big bairn when it comes to dentists you have my sympathy missus. I see all dentists as being like steve martins dentist character in the little shop of horrors.

That's very good going regarding the drink. ANYTHING that can get you through is worth trying.

Have you been following The Red Right Hand Files? I went to see Nick Cave and Warren Ellis twice when he played Edinburgh. I went with my mate Terry. He is another casualty of heroin alas.

Anyway as i said i am an athiest. But as Nick Cave read this out to the audience it was plain to see how The Book Of Mark had got to him.

This is the foreward he wrote. I have shown the opening part only. Would you be so kind as to comment on it for me? Cheers...............

Nick Cave: An Introduction to The Gospel According to Mark

When I bought my first copy of the Bible, the King James version, it was to the Old Testament that I was drawn, with its maniacal, punitive God who dealt out to His long-suffering humanity punishments that had me drop-jawed in disbelief at the very depth of their vengefulness.

I had a burgeoning interest in voilent literature, coupled with an unnamed sense of the divinity in things and, in my early twenties, the Old Testament spoke to that part of me that railed and hissed and spat at the world.

I believed in God, but I also believed that God was malign and if the Old Testament was testament to anything, it was testament to that.

Evil seemed to live close to the surface of existence within it, you could smell its mad breath, see the yellow smoke curl from its many pages, hear the blood-curdling moans of despair. It was a wonderful, terrible book, and it was sacred scripture.

http://www.nickcave.it/extra.php?IdExtra=78
 Inicia
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2019 6:35:26 AM
SIS how's your tooth, a whole clove seed placed on the aching area is very effective for pain-analgesic like anbesol however keeps releasing the analgesic until clove is empty(sic) lol so won't wear off as quickly as a topical.
 platitude545
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/4/2019 6:49:30 AM
You are right Vlad, the God of the old testament is vain, proud. stubborn, violent and malevolent. But that God does not send people to hell for eternity for thought crimes, so the God of the New Testament is just as bad imho.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2019 7:25:07 AM
Platy
"You are right Vlad, the God of the old testament is vain, proud. stubborn, violent and malevolent. But that God does not send people to hell for eternity for thought crimes, so the God of the New Testament is just as bad imho."

I'm not familiar with the old or new testament to be honest. My dad got told not to go back to church because he worked a communion sunday to put food on the table. So going to the kirk was never really pushed on me.

But the new testament is about the teachings of Jesus is it not? And his dad allows him to be killed.

But if believing helps our Shirley escape the drink then go for it. I've had lots of family died through drink, mates as well, so ANYTHING that helps is a bonus.

When my mate Big Granty died aged 34 through the drink the minister at the funeral said Alec had the choice of life or death and Alec chose death.

Shirley, you also have that choice my friend. Go for the right choice missus.

I'm sure most posters on here are willing you on to beat the demon drink. I know here in Edinburgh that i certainly do.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2019 8:06:38 PM

I personally think POF is lacking in that they do not have a space for people to express their level of political activity or at least their expectation of what they are looking for in a partner. I do not want a partner who is the political opposite of me ... I have no desire to spend the rest of my life in debate mode.

I enjoy a good debate any day of the week, but I would not want a partner who is the political or religious opposite of me either. Relationships are difficult enough sometimes without throwing such major differences into the mix.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?