Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Platitude....Your posts seem to reflect that you too have had bad experiences in the Church and perhaps even raised in the 'fear' of God like I was, rather than the 'love'. Anything worth doing as a teenager or young adult was a surefire invitation to the fires of hell. LOL. I get it. No drinking, no gambling, no dancing, no sex of course!
I began reading the Bible at Matthew which is the first book of the New Testament and there are many stories of the life of Jesus. I am finding this reading very enlightening and I know that this committment is giving me a sense of peace and happiness that I have not felt for a very long time. I would wish this new found feeling for anyone. If it can put the sparkle back into the eyes of all those young women at Teen Challenge and give them hope for happy, healthy and productive lives, then for sure there must be something to it and I'm willing to give it my best efforts.

Inicia.....Thank you for your concern about my tooth. Much better. Still some pain but the large doses of Advil and the antibiotics seem to be doing the trick. Still some discomfort in one tooth but much, much better!

Ending Day 13! Thank you Lord for giving me the strength to succeed on this journey.

Night, night:)
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 3/4/2019 8:46:10 PM

Nick Cave: An Introduction to The Gospel According to Mark

When I bought my first copy of the Bible, the King James version, it was to the Old Testament that I was drawn, with its maniacal, punitive God who dealt out to His long-suffering humanity punishments that had me drop-jawed in disbelief at the very depth of their vengefulness.

I had a burgeoning interest in voilent literature, coupled with an unnamed sense of the divinity in things and, in my early twenties, the Old Testament spoke to that part of me that railed and hissed and spat at the world.

I believed in God, but I also believed that God was malign and if the Old Testament was testament to anything, it was testament to that.

Evil seemed to live close to the surface of existence within it, you could smell its mad breath, see the yellow smoke curl from its many pages, hear the blood-curdling moans of despair. It was a wonderful, terrible book, and it was sacred scripture.

http://www.nickcave.it/extra.php?IdExtra=78

Wow Vlad. I would not know how to respond to this. I was raised with the Old Testament and never did my young mind grasp the evil suggested here, nor do I feel it now. I can only continue my journey on my search for my Truth.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2019 11:05:45 PM
Shirley
"Wow Vlad. I would not know how to respond to this. I was raised with the Old Testament and never did my young mind grasp the evil suggested here, nor do I feel it now. I can only continue my journey on my search for my Truth."

Ah but the part i posted was only the start. It is the rest of the foreward that Nick Cave wrote that i found interesting. When he reads the new testament and finds jesus.

From what i can remember the old testament is a bit violent is it not?

And how is the toothache? Have you visited the sadist dentist yet?

Post filler

I believed in God, but I also believed that God was malign and if the Old Testament was testament to anything, it was testament to that.

Evil seemed to live close to the surface of existence within it, you could smell its mad breath, see the yellow smoke curl from its many pages, hear the blood-curdling moans of despair. It was a wonderful, terrible book, and it was sacred scripture.

http://www.nickcave.it/extra.php?IdExtra=78
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2019 7:46:22 AM
generations ago, the church's suggestion to its members was, "pray, pay, and obey". and i guess in biblical times, when adulthood began around what we consider a teen (there are notions that the word "virgin" just meant "young girl") i guess the church at that time wanted to reign in teenage fun, knowing it could lead to other issues (for example, its thought priests take a vow of chastity b/c they were getting the local girls pregnant, and their children could claim inheritance of church land--land, of course, being the very symbol of wealth and of power).

luckily, the church is rethinking its position. which raises its own question, should God change to fit society? but if society defines what it thinks is proper for God, then perhaps change is good. After all, once God witnessed the destruction of the Great Flood, He decided to never do it again. So apparently even God can't see far enough into the future to avoid making a mistake now and then.
 platitude545
Msg: 80
Posted: 3/5/2019 9:13:09 AM

Platitude....Your posts seem to reflect that you too have had bad experiences in the Church and perhaps even raised in the 'fear' of God like I was, rather than the 'love'. Anything worth doing as a teenager or young adult was a surefire invitation to the fires of hell. LOL. I get it. No drinking, no gambling, no dancing, no sex of course!

Fortunately, I was raised in a secular, non-christian household....that is not to say though that I escaped from all thought control or was able to avoid all implicit issues of guilt. I think issues of Guilt are universal when it comes to religion. In my case it was a subtle, although not overt directive, that I would be much better off dating and marrying a Jewish woman than a Non-jewish woman, and there was the implicit directive to my sisters not to date non-jewish men because they were not as considerate to women, and tended to drink more than jewish guys.

Of course what is so funny about all this is some years after my father died, my mother remarried a "non-jewish" guy who also happened to be an alcoholic. My Dad drank hardly ever. Must admit we never saw what my mother saw in this guy...but she was happy....so.
 platitude545
Msg: 81
Posted: 3/5/2019 9:17:00 AM

He decided to never do it again.

You mean he has not decided to do it again....yet. He may kill us off with climate change, or maybe a large steroid is heading our way, or perhaps some sort of universal Armageddon is heading our way at this very instant at the speed of light...but at least when it takes us out, we will blink and then nothing.

https://www.facebook.com/ApocalypseNowThis/videos/309742589673282/
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2019 3:50:10 PM

Merely to praise Christ in His Perfectness keeps us on our knees, with our heads pitifully bent. Clearly, this is not what Christ had in mind. Christ came as a liberator. Christ understood that we as humans were for ever held to the ground by the pull of gravity - our ordinariness, our mediocrity - and it was through His example that He gave our imaginations the freedom to fly. In short, to be Christ-like. This essay originally appeared in the Pocket Canon

Gospel According to Mark, (C)Canongate, 1998

Hello Vlad.
You are right that the Old Testament depicts a lot of violence what with the Passover, the seven plagues, etc. I have not begun reading it yet but I have my memories.

Thank you for asking about my tooth. So far, so good, the antibiotics are effective and I feel very little pain. I may need another dose of amoxicillin as I only have three left and the faint throb is reminding of the agony I suffered. lol seriously.

I recently read again the book titled 'The Cross and the Switchblade' and I pray that I can be baptized by the Holy Spirit and try to live a Christ like life. I would highly recommend this book which in a novel form, takes us through the development of Teen Challenge Rehabilitation centres and the life changes for many addicts.

So, I read the article as you can see from the above quote. A poster sent me a PM referring verses that spells out what I feel I want in
a true relationship with God.
Proverbs 3 /5. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. 6. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your path."

I don't know yet how that will work for me but although we were given the freedom of choice, I want to include God by prayer in my decision making processes. There is much in the Bible and world events that we will never understand and perhaps it is better not to try but to continue to ask God's help for resolutions.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2019 9:24:59 PM
Well, a lot of churches are institutions of hypocrisy. For example, Joel Osteen refused to open his church to flood victims, yet he lives in a million-dollar mansion funded by offerings from his fellow Christians. Could not all that money be put to better use?
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2019 9:40:52 AM
"You mean He has not decided to do it again....yet. He may kill us off with climate change, or maybe a large asteroid is heading our way, or "

>>>i should have specified, He decided not to use a flood again. He does apparently still have plans for armageddon. and yes, climate change would be an ironic way to say, "remember that tree of knowledge? that's why you weren't supposed to eat it".
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 9:22:45 AM

Well, a lot of churches are institutions of hypocrisy. For example, Joel Osteen refused to open his church to flood victims, yet he lives in a million-dollar mansion funded by offerings from his fellow Christians. Could not all that money be put to better use?

Hypocrisy is a fact throughout civilization. Indeed, probably even pre-historic times.
Absolutely that money could be put to better use but why would we judge an entire Christian concept on the few or even the many hypocrites of the world? Even the Bible reports on hypocrisy. It exists. That is a fact. It will always exist. That is also a fact. The question however is how will we put our own efforts and even money to better use? Will we take it to God for answers?
Day 19!!!!! I'm winning!
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 3:33:09 PM
Kick the money changers out of the temple. Why must money be part of everything?
If you believe in money and its omnipotent power, perhaps you can hope for a trickle down shower....? That sounded so 80's
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 4:04:18 PM
^What money changers would that be?

I wasn't aware that the IRS was collecting the peoples' taxes at Churches and Temples.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 4:18:22 PM
They're all out for a piece of the action, everyone wants some money for their own little faction, whether it's a tax or a tithe.... The people in the end will hopefully thrive?

Hey, we're all paying in some way or another. We're all sisters, mothers fathers and brothers. Combine that with Christianity and POF and the potential is there for a world shaking change in thinking.... Or, maybe I am just exaggerating here....
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 4:25:43 PM
If you are going to attempt to quote the Bible....shouldn't you use it in the correct context at least? :)

More precisely...are you bothered by tithing and their tax exempt status?

If so, why? How does it effect you?
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 4:34:27 PM
I remember being flummoxed when Bill Clinton proclaimed The Church of Scientology to be a bona fide religion so did not have to pay taxes.

Still seems sketchy to me. No one ever talks about it.

Kinda weird~
 flowersinthelake
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Find what works for you
Posted: 3/10/2019 4:44:08 PM

I have found it to be more liberating as it teaches that not everything is in our control. That in and of itself can be very freeing. Being able to recognize and reconcile the things within and beyond our control can bring much balance and peace to the heart.

Any adequate therapist or DBT group facilliator would covey the same message (secularly). It does help to practice that you ry to gain control of your emotions when a crisis once begins or moves in progress (and sometimes, it's not always the best way to handle certain situations).

I vacillate between two thoughts: I'm a small (but not so insignificant) participant of this world, one that is evolving and the other that what has happened and what happens is random. I think both hold hands in trusting friendship, but the latter really helps me to separate the occuurence of painful events in my life and why I believe I was a target of these events and the former allows me to understand that I am worthy of my unrelenting self-love and self-respect. I find these to be very liberating above all else.

I don't need religion or somebody's idea of an omniscient, omnipotent and presence to feel my individual value and know that randomness of what happens is out of my control. What has happened or happens to me isn't any sign of something else to come not do I expect myself to find the (elusive) silver lining in these traumatic events.

If religion makes you feel more connect to yourself, your personal deity and the world, I support you in that. Others like me have our own way and it's just as meaningful and important.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Find what works for you
Posted: 3/10/2019 4:49:29 PM
I find the regular practice of Yoga nidra to be useful on a spiritual and practical basis. Grown a Lutheran. The two are not incompatible.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 5:05:31 PM
Wow 93, I hadn't thought of it but you're right in noting Churches are tax exempt. And, I have nothing against tithes, or tithing for that matter. It's not my money to waste.

I mean, I always thought the reason churches were tax exempt was so they could better use their organization and wealth to help the poor and downtrodden. And, the donations [or tithes] would not be used to further their political campaigns or views ...Which ensures their tax-exempt status..... At least, this is my understanding.

As long as it remains within these boundaries I say OK fine. .
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2019 6:37:11 PM
#95 Flowers....Interesting thoughts. Thank you.
$96 Clymennestra.....I looked up Yoga Nidra. I will definitely check it out.
#97 Doremi....^
A tithe to the Church, which is considered a charity and therefore tax exempt is necessary for the operation of the Church, including a possible mortgage, repairs and maintenance to the building and the property, a salary for the pastor, missions for the poor and needy, materials and programs for the members of the Church and numerous other items. Offerings or tithes are also used to further efforts to bring people to God, and not just to their own Church. The goal of Christianity is the Salvation of Souls and the Lord made that a free choice for all people.

Tomorrow is Day 20!!!! I went out for a light meal with a girlfriend who refused her normal glass of wine on my behalf but I told her that I was not at all tempted! She had her glass of wine, and I didn't give it a thought! Miracles do happen! I was a functional, daily drinker for almost 20 years. When I visit my son's homes, they generally have liquor in sight. I pick it up and look at it. Some kind of silly personal test but I could not do this without the Lord's help. I am still reading the daily devotional and some Bible passages each morning and I find that to be a great start to my day. The other day, I was in a gift shop and noticed a decorative plaque that said "Pray more, worry less". I automatically said in my head, "Thank you Lord" but then I also realized that I had been worrying about something and that was God's reminder that I just need to give it to God to help me with. I know that this sounds strange to some, but it is my truth and I love it!

Night, night and prayers for all of you.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2019 9:29:51 AM
the tithe should go to the church, one hopes it doesn't go to the sex scandal rulings b/c that wasn't the work of the congregation. but what does annoy is the donations the televangilists ask of retirees to mail in.

congrats on staying off the sauce. its a depressant, so that explains the mood change. some will find a need for sugar to match what the alcohol used to give, but of course you likely know what giving in to sugar cravings can do healthwise.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?