Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?Page 6 of 23    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23)
^^^^^
K22.
Why must you always try to get a rise out of people? Does this entertain you in some way?
What makes you say that evil is ignored and then try to begin a hate debate over white supremacy and Trump?
Shall we define evil?
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?
Posted: 3/17/2019 8:47:09 AM
^Because he has invested too much emotional capital in his hate to respond any differently.

Spectrallight
Msg: 128
Posted: 3/17/2019 9:37:05 AM
^ or you could just ignore anything they have to say.

A bit like a child when they are being naughty. You don't rise to it nor acknowledge bad behaviour. Punish!

Do you think if they never got a reply that validates their bad behaviour they would continue in such a way? No they'd stop it as it doesn't give them the attention they crave so much, and if they respond in a respectful manner you then reply to them.

Not exactly hard. Try it ;)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 10:00:41 AM

My first step to develop a closer relationship with God was to begin reading a daily devotional and the bible and the second is to eliminate alcohol from my life. Alcohol does not enhance my life in any way including physically, emotionally, spiritually or financially.

I find this personally a bit ironic.

I had added alcohol to my supplements for medicinal reasons. I use medicinal because it's often used a joke but it's also true.

First, I don't understand why alcohol is considered in some way needed to be excluded because you have decided to become for devout. Christ turned water into wine, he didn't turn wine into water.

Second, 5 oz of wine a night helped increase my HDL from 36>55, which is more healthy. Doesn't have to be wine, it could be roughly 14 grams of pure alcohol in any form.

Of course, just like Vitamin A, too much alcohol is bad for you, but a little is healthy.

(Did you know, an entire polar bear liver contains enough vitamin A to kill as many as 52 adults)
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 10:29:30 AM
Doremi

"""Providing we believe it"""
In other words, we don't have freedom of thought. We either believe jesus died for our sins or go to hell, or so say the calvinists. Can you show me where in the bible it says that, because if it doesn't, what others say about it is immaterial.

Here is one verse and you can find many more if you research on the internet and follow up in the Bible because many verses taken out of context are not totally clear. We have the freedom to believe or not.

Revelation 21:8
8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

The Bible really is an extraordinary work of art. Did you know that over 3,000 prophesies have become reality and that just over 3,000 remain? The Bible has been proven to be historically correct by secular historians who benefit nothing by this admittance. It is amazing that the King James version of the Bible has 783,137 words co-written by many authors and there is not one single contradiction! The Bible has been translated into 532 languages, sells 100 million copies each year and has sold over 5 billion copies worldwide! On a humorous note, the Bible is the most stolen book of all time. God's little joke? Why would a non-believer steal a Bible? Makes one wonder.

Seamist

As for Jews, Jesus, etc., no one died for my sins. You have faith. Faith is called just that, "faith". Its not called "fact" for a reason. If faith gives some folks comfort, there is nothing wrong with that.

There are many proven facts throughout the Bible but I've always found it surprising that the Jews accept the Old Testament but not the New but even so, devout Jews believe in the coming of the Messiah. They just don't believe he has already lived, died, was resurrected and ascended into heaven all for our Salvation. They're still waiting. I would consider that faith.

My new born faith and I say "new born" because I am still working on it, gives me great comfort but I too, have many questions and sometimes I feel dubious and even resistant through parts of my journey probably because doubt and desire for proof is human nature.

I truly believe however, that I have reached Day 26 of sobriety with no withdrawal symptoms or cravings only through the help of God. I also truly believe that my daughter who was near death almost a year ago, and would almost certainly have been dead today, had she not been receiving God's help when she found the strength to go to Teen Challenge to battle her heroin addiction. God has also helped me to realize that I have to be a sober pillar of strength and an example for her when she returns home in order to continue her recovery.
I call that faith.

AMEN.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 10:41:56 AM

I truly believe however, that I have reached Day 26 of sobriety with no withdrawal symptoms or cravings only through the help of God. I also truly believe that my daughter who was near death almost a year ago, and would almost certainly have been dead today, had she not been receiving God's help when she found the strength to go to Teen Challenge to battle her heroin addiction.

Now I do believe if you have an alcohol addiction, the likely best way to stay sober is to totally avoid drinking, and faith is often a big part of getting over it.

I tend to think there is a genetic component to addiction. Some people can get easily addicted to substances and have a very difficult time quiting, while others seem to be able to partake and give it up if they want to.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 10:43:24 AM

First, I don't understand why alcohol is considered in some way needed to be excluded because you have decided to become for devout. Christ turned water into wine, he didn't turn wine into water.

Alcohol does not enhance my life in any way including physically, emotionally, spiritually or financially.

To add.....I often felt awful in the morning and the periodic blackouts, particularly when I drank too much on an empty stomach made me disgusted in myself. Most important, I saw the danger of that my daughter who is a concurrent substance abuser would choose to drink with me and have alchohol become her next addiction. I'd say those are all pretty good reasons. My decision had nothing to do with my decision to pursue Christianity other than asking for God's help to succeed.

You know? Before all of this, my pride would never have allowed me to be so open publicly and you know what they say about pride. First of all, it is considered a sin and even people know the saying....."Pride goeth before a fall" and I've been falling my whole life.
 Inicia
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 11:15:28 AM
^^congrats SIS! glad you have began sobriety- congrats on finding your place of strength! hopefully u will always find it..

when devout christians(sometimes) have pursued contact with me it has ended up being an ugly challenge of my faith, btw was not shaken lol..i have been the biggest challenge and downright terrifying challenge to my own faith.couple good songs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMlou7Q0GRE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV1XWJN3nJo
 kavapaw22
Msg: 134
Posted: 3/17/2019 11:22:04 AM
If you want to know all about the contradictions in the bible, I've heard this is a good book, this guy was an evangelical pastor and now a professor at a divinity school.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jesus+interrupted+by+bart+ehrman&crid=3CVLAQ6L7NVRC&sprefix=jesus+inte&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10

This crap about Satan..just another contradiction. Christians condemn Jewz and non believers to hell for being nonbelievers. But if there is a devil, why not put the blame on him instead of the non believer? On the one hand you blame Satan for all of the evil in the world, but you blame man for non believing.

Do you think its okay to threaten people with hell for not succumbing to threats of eternal damnation...and you all have the audacity to call me a hater? The hypocrisy of organized religion knows no limits. It should be a crime for inflicting thought control and guilt on young children about this crap

Went to a funeral where all the pastor did (or whatever he was) was rail against how non believers would go to hell without regard to his diverse audience. Utterly disgusting display of religiousity.

And let me again remind you that not a one of your loving religious people condemned little red when he accused Jews of killing jesus. Disgusting in it's own right. Such loving people you are.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 11:26:08 AM
SurelyIamShirley, blackouts didn’t particularly bother me, I was a little bemused by them. Hangovers aren’t pleasant but to be expected.

But I vividly remember the last time I got seriously drunk and it worried me. It was about 27 years ago.

It was in Canada (I was living in WashDC), I was with a couple of sales guys on a business trip, they kept buying me drinks while in a lap dance place. I was drinking on an empty stomach and would down them like soda pop while being distracted.

After a lot of alcohol, we all went to a steak place and I had a huge steak on top of it all. They wanted to go back to the bar, I said I had enough and was going to walk back to the hotel, which was only a few blocks away.

But I couldn’t find the hotel, being drunk I was tempted to “rest” for a while on a park bench but realized if I did that I would pass out on the bench, maybe get picked up by the police. So, I hailed a taxi to take me two blocks.

I got back, passed out on the bed.

What bothered me, when the alarm woke me up for the high tech meeting I had to attend, I started to vomit, and couldn’t stop. It was so bad, I vomited in the hotel elevator trying to get to my meeting. And was worried all meeting long that I would get sick during the meeting. Not only that, the two sales guys kept asking me on the trip back if that was me that got sick in the elevator. The total lack of control while sober is what really bothered me.

I never had more than two beers or two mixed drinks in a day after that happened. Often I didn’t drink anything alcoholic for months. So it’s not hard for me to avoid drinking, I think the hardest thing to give up would be caffeine.

May God bless you on your journey.
 Seamist474
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 11:36:07 AM
Nothing worse than those that credit god for the good sh!t that happens while at the same time blaming satan for the bad sh!t that happens. Where was god when the alcoholic became an alcoholic or a drug addict became a drug addict ? Where was god when god believing family buries a 4 year old that had cancer or burns the home of christians with 4 children inside or where was god when priests were raping catholic children?

What is wrong with saying "I have the strength to change my life" and giving yourself credit for your change...whether its giving up alcohol, walking away from drugs, losing weight or becoming a kinder person or volunteering or giving of yourself to others? How can someone thank god for getting them sober/clean and sober/thinner/healthier when not chastising god for how they got to were before seeking change?

And no, I don't want to date anyone that is this religious and has a need to "witness". I don't want to date a conservative either. Was it god that made me be this way in my thinking?
 kavapaw22
Msg: 137
Posted: 3/17/2019 12:10:10 PM
^^^ they are just so damn judgmental and hypocritical...but it is simply impossible for them to see it. Blaming Satan for what happened in New Zealand for the slaughter of innocent men and children instead of putting the blame where it belongs...in this case on a deranged white supremacist...i.e. an extremist, I guess that somehow absolves them of their own extremism.

I wouldn't have bothered posting on this thread again until Shirley plainly stated that Christ forgave you for your sins if you believed he was doing so. Because she refused to stop at the Christ forgave you for your sins, but had to add that extension, again shows the religious and judgmental hypocrisy.

I wonder how many people who suffer from depression and alcoholism have done so because of the guilt they felt all of their lives by never measuring up to what their religions expected of them. I have never been religious one day in my entire life. I went through the typical Sunday School for reformed Judaism, had my Bar mitzvah and was confirmed by my Sunday School...but do not believe my parents one day in my life inflicting religious mandates on me, nor do I recall ever actually believing in God.

And yet I have managed to be moral and I have never been close to clinically depressed...so religion is not mandatory to lead a good life or to escape "Satan's" clutches.

And I also know, that if I were not the victim but the observer, I never would have allowed Little Red's accusations of being Jews being responsible for Killing Christ...but all of the religious here did, except for MR who in fact spoke up for Little Red.. When the leftists attacked Rose for being so vocal about her belief in Christ, I stood up for her..telling the leftists she was free to believe what she wanted instead of what the leftists demanded of her. Two things the leftists despise...religion, Israel and non-jewish liftists...jews.

Such extremism, hypocrisy and Judgment by the Religious. So pathetic.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 138
Posted: 3/17/2019 12:19:47 PM
And by the way, this is really a Nonsensical Thread. Of course Christianity and POF can be combined if both parties have similar beliefs, what the hell is the problem? This is a rhetorical question is it not? If somebody wants to date only those who think the way they do, is that not their prerogative? And if a person does not care about the other's religions, is that not also their prerogative?
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 12:30:01 PM
^""accusations of being Jews being responsible for Killing Christ"

This is a shame. I thought we made progress.

Would you like to discuss why you feel this statement to be true? :)
 kavapaw22
Msg: 140
Posted: 3/17/2019 12:41:20 PM
^^^ You admirably retreated form your position with further debate...but you did initially support Little Red when in a matter of fact manner, you stated that a Jewish Tribunal did convict Jesus, ergo, the Jews were responsible for Killing Jesus.

You know as well as I that the only purpose for Reds accusations is because (1) he is about a revolting man as is possible to be on POF and (2) his accusations were an expression of utter contempt he obviously has for Jews, for me and for Israel. (he only originally started stalking me when it was obvious I was a Jew supporting Israel).

I appreciate your retreating from your initial position...I actually have more condemnation for the religious Hypocrites here who never spoke up against Little Red. Which of course is very, very typical for the types of people the religious are. Of course the leftists never spoke up either...because they hate the Jews and Israel equally. Nobody...not one person spoke up.

I get most people probably didn't bother reading Little Red's rants and i get most people really didn't care what he had to say and didn't want to get into a controversy over it...so I really don't blame anybody...other than the religious hypocrites. As for the leftists, they are generally extremist skumbags anyway, so I expected nothing from them.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 12:55:31 PM
^I made no retreat as I made no such claim to retreat from.

If I were to make a statement as to who....literally...."killed" Jesus I would have to say it was Roman soldiers.

I was merely pointing out that the Sanhedrin played a role in the....Crucifixion.

But you consider the mentioning....just the whisper of such a role...is evidence of the speaker being an antisemite.

That is not the way to have open and earnest dialogs. :)
 kavapaw22
Msg: 142
Posted: 3/17/2019 1:09:56 PM
^^^ Of course it was evidence, because you need to consider the context in which you made your initial Statement. It was immediately after Little Red accused Jews of killing Christ and my objection thereto. If you brought up the issue of the Tribunal in an independent manner, then you could fairly argue you were not attacking all jews in Perpetuity the way Little Red meant it, but simply stating what the Bible said about it, only later clarifying that you were not attacking the Jews of today of being responsible for Christ's killing.

Look MR. We have been over this and you are trying to dance around a thread here....it is a given fact that extreme aholes among the religious have blamed Jews for eons for killing Christ. That was a significant source of all of the antisemitism out there. Now you are trying to convince me that is not what you meant initially when you supported Little Red, but I don't believe you. For whatever reason, you have developed some sort of a Kinship with Little Red, so when I condemned him for his revolting accusation, you chose to support him. You know it, I know it, and its there in the threads for any who want to read it.

I see in Little Red a small thinking man who in the past has wanted to debate the accuracy of the Holocaust. In the end I could care less if every religious person here, the Shirley's of the world, thought the Jews responsible. No skin off of my nose and has no effect on my success in life. But when I learned of the Nazis and the Holocaust at an early age, and have studied much more indepth since than, I still never really understood how the Nazis became who they were and how the Jews were so docile in the face of so much anti-antisemitism.

Little Red is a zero to me, but I honestly see him as being the board Nazi....thus my contempt for him and thus my reason for taking him on. He is not quite as overt as people like Galaxy (the ugly little guy from Italy), but close enough. I also see how at least 40% of our country has been swayed by a Grifter, so it is like living out in real time what happened in Germany long ago. Then there is the leftist trash like Elphaba who is so far gone it is impossible for her to see the issues with what the Palestinians do.

So in the end, I am not going to make a difference in what people think here. The haters like Little Red will continue to be haters, Elphaba will always be a wicked witch, Jovan always classic far left extremist trash, but I enjoy railing against this mindless hate and extremism.

I don't care so much about the Religious like Shirley believing that non-believers go to hell for not accepting Jesus in their life. I get she is a victim, not a perpetrator....but others are not just victims, they are the problem. Still, it is difficult to have respect for religious people when it is so clear that they are very selective about being decent and who they are decent to.
 rednwhiterider
Msg: 143
Posted: 3/17/2019 2:34:09 PM
happy SAINT PATRICK'S day!!!

easy to be joyous on days like today...

Saint Patrick was a gentleman,
Who through strategy and stealth,
Drove all the snakes from Ireland,
Here’s a toasting to his health.
But not too many toastings
Lest you lose yourself and then
Forget the good Saint Patrick
And see all those snakes again."

and may the saddest day of your future be no worse
than the happiest day of your past.
 Million_Reasons
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 3:02:28 PM
Msg: 142

I do not speak for Red and I can not read his mind to know his intentions.

But based upon interactions between Red and other posters, I have observed....I do not believe him to have the character you have assigned him.

I, also, see how quick to judge you are....never once asking for clarification. I asked the original "Sanhedrin/Pontius" question of you simply because you piqued my interest with your reference to the Pope. It was in the context of learning what your knowledge of the historical account of Jesus' death was. How it is covered from the Jewish "perspective" so-to-speak.

Even though...it wasn't the most pleasant exchange....I did learn. I am always appreciative of that. :)

***Happy St. Patricks Day!

Sadly...I am part Irish and I didn't know about the snakes. :/

Does anyone know if the snakes are still absent from Ireland?

Might have found my new home! :D
 Inicia
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 3:14:34 PM
yeah hypocrisy and judgement do run amok-all of us fall prey to that especially when rash and angry-apparently if we aren't looking in a mirror that agrees with every dribble from our mouth everybody else is worthless shit!
 kavapaw22
Msg: 146
Posted: 3/17/2019 3:34:03 PM
^^^million you are a poor judge of character or you haven't been paying attention...more importantly knowing what he said repeatedly, you find no fault. You think its perfectly okay for a message board poster to accuse the Jews of being christ killers and Muhammad poisoners. To my satisfaction that speaks spades about you. But since you are not the person I once thought you might be, since we are not friends..no big deal.

By the way, we never learned anything about Jesus in my religious school. Why would we? Jews, except the Jews for jesus, have never believed jesus was anybody worth learning about, apparently. He was just one of many false prophets. The new testament is not for us, it's for you. You get a more loving God but one who is quick to send you to hell for eternity. We never were taught anything about hell in my school. We were never threatened with eternal damnation. I'm glad about that. I think that's a terrible burden to put on a child.

Million_Reasons
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 3:46:20 PM
"Jews, except the Jews for jesus, have never believed jesus was anybody worth learning about, apparently. He was just one of many false prohets."

I gathered this based upon your answers. I did learn. :)
 kavapaw22
Msg: 148
Posted: 3/17/2019 3:50:28 PM
^^^right, I want to make clear though my religious education was pretty superficial. Just on Sundays. It may be different in other schools that taught religion to an in depth manner. In that case, comparative religion may have been part of the curriculum..
 Seamist474
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2019 6:35:21 PM
My grandmother came to Canada as a 6 year old from England. She died about 20 years ago at age 103. We did the church thing on Sundays and Sunday school, Mom sang in the choir. The family burial plot is at an Anglican Church graveyard. Granny always used to carry this little white zippered rectangular purse thing to family weddings and funerals. I always thought she had her bible in there until one day, not long before she died, I asked her how old her bible was and if it was a family heirloom. She said no, she didn't have a bible. I asked, what's in the white zippered case - she said "lipstick, a kleenex and a cigarette, I don't believe in that god bullshit". That cracked me up. She told me all I needed to know was "do unto others". That was the best "witnessing" I've ever been given.

Nothing has screwed us up more than religion. imho
 kavapaw22
Msg: 150
Posted: 3/18/2019 5:10:41 AM
^^^^^it depends. If you are taught you may go to hell and Satan is to blame for all bad in the world, real problem. If you are simply brought up to believe God is good and there to help, not so bad.

Its hell, the devil and threats of damnation that is the real problem imho. It's the extremism, the judgmental attitude by the bible believers who create all of the problems. And the hypocrisy. So much hypocrisy.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Christianity and POF - Can they be combined?