Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Flat Earthers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Flat EarthersPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

I do belief that the guy who started it was quite serious. Conspiracy beliefs are actually more common than you think.

It is Seriously believed to be flat or seriously believed it could be flat by an increasing # of people. It got "reborn" out of what was initially a joke on a forum, and it spawned believers. It's an example of how screwball & stubborn with pride people will get on something being true -- even when it's clear as day not even close to the truth.

Things like social media help fuel this. It goes to show how stupid people are -- that it can seriously go THAT far with a small % of people. Being halfway to that ridiculousness is still incredibly ridiculous. Quite sad.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/12/2019 9:20:34 AM
One of my favored magazines for reading, in addition to Scientific American is the Skeptical Inquirer. Based on its recommendation, I purchased a book on Conspiracy Theories...and until I did, I never fully realized just how many conspiracy theories there are out there, all over the place...from the Kennedy Assassination to Lizard Men living in a Hollow Earth type of thing......the one I will never get though is the 911 theory that the government brought down the towers. The number of people to pull off that conspiracy would be huge...somebody would talk...regardless of the fact that the science has easily proven exactly what happened...still a large number of otherwise rational people believe the Government was behind it.

So as the saying goes...you can fool some of the people all of the time....its just the nature of our humanity..Trump of course knows this...his lying has a purpose. When he says something enough times, people simply believe it.
 Dadbod_67
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/12/2019 10:35:53 PM
I read something the other day, saying that 99.9% of Flat Earth conversation is people making fun of Flat Earthers, while the other .1% is people actually believing in it.

What strikes me as interesting is that there are a long list of intellectuals claiming that they don't believe in anything that can't be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt. But, doesn't belief imply faith? Isn't faith the providence of religious people? Are they saying that they only put their faith in science? Ask an intellectual for their proof of a round world, and the first thing is a list of websites they can bring up.

Why did I join the Flat Earth society? Cuz they give great parties, where you can meet lots of interesting people with different points of view, and they won't make fun of you if you disagree with them. Do I believe the Earth is flat? No, I don't. I think t's round. But can I prove it either way? No, not me personally. I'm willing to admit that I don't know everything there is to know in the world.

I joined the Flat Earth society for the same reason I joined a local Bigfoot research party: Great parties, good people, running through the woods in the weekends we meet having fun.

I can honestly say that the "fringe" people are more accepting of people than "mainstream" people. They are just more used to thinking outside of the box, and new thoughts don't frighten them as much.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/13/2019 9:33:35 AM

What strikes me as interesting is that there are a long list of intellectuals claiming that they don't believe in anything that can't be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt.

That is BS. Very few things can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Even in Court, the prosecution need only prove something beyond a reasonable doubt.

I get the joining the Flat Earth society for fun and kicks, but to suggest conspiracy theorists think "outside" the box is ludicrous. My guess is that people who believe in outlandish conspiracies have a very limited capacity to think, which is why they are so easily fooled into believing unprovable conspiracies.

As for not accepting the earth is round without proof beyond a shadow of a doubt, i.e., absolute proof, what do you consider all of the photos of the earth from space, how about how the earth below you in a high flying jet seems to curve? How about the other planets that are spheres?

It is not the same thing as "faith" as in believing in God, it is faith that there are people who have integrity and that there are certain things for which there is so much evidence, like the earth is a sphere, that the issue cannot legitimately be disputed, unless of course you have the limitations of a conspiracy theorist's mind, in which case you instead believe that thousands and thousands of people for more than the last thousand years have all been part of a huge conspiracy to deceive people as to the nature of the Earth.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/13/2019 3:00:36 PM

I read something the other day, saying that 99.9% of Flat Earth conversation is people making fun of Flat Earthers, while the other .1% is people actually believing in it.

Yes, most Conversation is due making fun of it -- like in forums like these, Reddit, or in You-Tube comments after one seriously posts a video claiming it's true. As with any other wacky belief that too many people believe in. Even not-so-sane people will chime in, making fun of it.

What strikes me as interesting is that there are a long list of intellectuals claiming that they don't believe in anything that can't be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt.

That's not true. Many do have Mere Beliefs -- to varying degrees of certainty. Depends on how far from a shadow of a doubt. We're All like that -- except when it comes to things that hit our Emotions & Upbringing. :)

But, doesn't belief imply faith?

No. Belief doesn't mean something isn't certain to be true. You can believe AND be certain about something. Believing something doesn't imply that you Merely have Some belief in it. Belief does not equal faith. They're two separate words.

Isn't faith the providence of religious people?

Absolutely Not. Who told you that? That's complete nonsense. Everyone will come across things in life that they have faith that it's true. Intellectually Honest people will accept their faith to be broken when evidence ends up showing otherwise. That's the difference. Loyalty, or intellectual Honesty? What say you, my friend? :)
 Dadbod_67
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/14/2019 8:37:12 AM
I'm not sure where I stand, honestly. Mostly I try to live a good life, be nice to people, and find interesting people to talk to =)

I've always thought that I'm a pretty open-minded person, and willing to entertain new things. That being said, it doesn't mean I change my mind whenever the wind changes directions, either.
 kavapaw22
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/14/2019 8:39:15 AM
^^^ well you got me thinking I should definitely join these organizations for the parties.....it gets very, very tiring and boring going to parties with "professionals" who for some reason believe they are the elitists of the world.
 Dadbod_67
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Flat Earthers
Posted: 3/14/2019 6:40:32 PM
Of course you should! It never hurts to expand your circle of friends, no matter who you are.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Flat Earthers