Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > How much do our living arrangements play into other people's dating d      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jay6598
Msg: 26
view profile
History
How much do our living arrangements play into other people's dating decisions?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I personally don't care if someone I meet is renting or owns something.

I care more about a potential partnership where decisions can be made together to decide whether or not to rent or own something.
I care if someone if financially stable, NOT meaning wealthy, but pays their bills and makes a couple of wise decisions along the way.
I absolutely care about communication and character.

So, I wouldn't worry about if you rent or own. I'd worry about finding a good partner that will allow the two of you to make plans and realize them.
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 27
view profile
History
How much do our living arrangements play into other people's dating decisions?
Posted: 4/14/2019 12:47:33 AM
Rents here in busy towns are extortionate. I’d be paying triple what my mortgage used to be. Don’t fancy that.
Of course I would date a renter, their financial affairs would always be their own.
 purrfectionately
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2019 1:14:46 AM
We all evolve into our current dating philosophies. Our financial, physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual health speaks volumes as to the kind of person we are. I no longer date frivolously, and these reflections all play a major role when seeking a partner. Even if its someone to spend time with, I desire what my heart desires. So yes living arrangements from how someone lives, to where they live all play a role.

Many property managers in places like NYC have difficulty making a profit especially in older buildings that need constant repair. Ever price water heaters large enough to carry the load of an entire building? How about heating units? What about a pipe that rots through the wall (from years of draino use- unknown to the owner), creating water damage through several floors in the building. How about outside and hall lights? Taxes? Fines from the city for improper tenant disposal of garbage? Theres so much more to it people have no idea. What about that mortgage payment? The one tenant that trashed the entire place? OR places like NYC where its very difficult to evict someone even if they didn't pay rent for a year? I can keep going...
 sunflower100
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2019 12:51:57 PM
Haha cooldog. You rock.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2019 6:01:33 PM
surelyIam

you are right. Women in particular want a man that can offer at least as much as they have. If he is renting and she has he own home. he is not going to be sought after particularly.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/14/2019 6:03:55 PM
if the person is taking care of family members such as older parents then living with them may be acceptable.
It depends on whether he has a stable job and is financially secure.
 cooldog65
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2019 1:13:50 AM

Haha cooldog. You rock.

I rock...I roll...I got plenty of soul...
 julystorm22
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2019 10:40:53 AM
That's not all rental units in Canada though. When I lived in Manitoba there was rent control so rent was cheaper. In Southeast Saskatchewan, where I am, there is no rent control and there's like a .07 vacancy rate. No new rentals have been built, just condos, and like I've tried saying but people who don't live here have tried to argue, most condos are not rented out. Even people with lots of money who don't want to buy often end up living in old rundown houses because 95% of rental units are less-than-stellar quality or they are houses currently for sale and it is agreed the renter moves out within 60 to 120 days of the sale of the house. I was lucky enough that due to government cuts to healthcare my hours at work were reduced and I went below the income line cutoff for government-subsidized housing. I rent a 3-bedroom government-subsidized house for $945 (plus utilities which are about $400 a month including heat, power, water). I also got in because I have 3 kids and it is pretty difficult to find an apartment building that accepts kids (even though it is illegal to deny people with kids, most apartments get so many applicants that a landlord can be choosy).

I understand completely that in places like Vancouver, Toronto and New York City it is normal for people to rent. Here though, it is something which kind of relegates you to the lower class. Its expected that most adults 30+ own their own homes. I owned a house at age 24. However, if a guy is divorced I usually completely understand why he is renting. Most divorcees did own their own homes post-split and many are in between homes until their current home (which their ex lives in) sells. The real estate market has stagnated the last couple years so it's difficult to sell a house. If I hear though that a single man, never married and has never had his own home, I am concerned and I would question is financial stability.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 12:02:19 PM

I owned a house at age 24.

I rent a 3-bedroom government-subsidized house for $945 (plus utilities which are about $400 a month

Obviously, you didn't move on up to the East Side, to a deluxe apartment in the sky, like the Jeffersons.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 1:09:53 PM

you are right. Women in particular want a man that can offer at least as much as they have. If he is renting and she has he own home. he is not going to be sought after particularly.

What does OWNING a home have to do with offering as much as someone who does have one? I can buy multiple homes in cash with a Lamborghini in each garage(true)but are you saying I am offering less because I don't own a deed and have a monthly mortgage payment?(raises eyebrows). Plenty of rich rent here.

Obviously, you didn't move on up to the East Side, to a deluxe apartment in the sky, like the Jeffersons.

Bite your tongue , perhaps you don't understand Manhattan real estate. There are probably rent stabilized apt's in the Jeffersons building where a long tern tenant pays 700 a month and that includes heat and water. My mom lived on the most expensive block in Manhattan(E 57st) and had a studio for about 700 when she passed.
Archie Bunkers home would be worth at least a million now in that neighborhood.
 julystorm22
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 1:42:30 PM
It's a fact that the bigger the population density, the more likely that more people will be living in smaller units. In many cities, the rental market has developed into all income points (upper class, middle class, lower class housing) while in places with a smaller population density there are more people owning than renting with fewer rental units and less variety of rental units for price points.

At 24, with help from my dad, I bought a 2.5 acre place in rural Manitoba with a small house. Unfortunately, when I sold my home 3.5 years later to move back to my home province my credit wasn't great, thanks to a stone weighing me down. Post-split my credit has improved dramatically. My debts are mostly gone and I will be debt free by next year in March at which point I will start saving up for a downpayment for another house which will only take me two years. My goal is to buy another house in 2022. Until then I will try staying in my current rental but I'm worried that the rumours about government housing rents being raised are true and I might end up back living with my mom. I can't afford a rent increase and I might end up getting back into debt if it happens. My mom and I have talked and she thinks in one year I should move back in temporarily so I can save up a downpayment quickly in like 6 months for a house so I won't have to keep throwing money away on rent. A mortgage with taxes added in might be $400 a month whereas rent is over double.
 zonavar68
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2019 6:20:52 PM

It is, however, very important to me that a potential date does not live with his parent(s), and is able to take care of himself.

As a guy, I do agree, and that's what led me to ask about it. Since the perception seems to be that if someone rents instead of owns, there's a 'red flag' automatically triggered in regard to financial self-sufficiency, especially if (like me) a person has rented for a long time and doesn't own a property. Particularly in our 'officially mature' age range.

I guess if women do feel a guy can't 'provide, care and nurture' based on the person being a renter not an owner that's probably quite a vain assessment when the guy has a good job, lives alone, is self-sufficient, and comfortable with his current circumstances yet wants to 'trade up' to a better life with some nice company (ie. the reason for exploring dating).
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2019 12:59:16 AM
I’ve had two of my nieces live with me for well over a year (each) so they can save money for deposits for their own homes. They’ve both gone now.
That sounds like a good idea July....listen to ma :)
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2019 7:08:31 AM

I can buy multiple homes in cash with a Lamborghini in each garage(true)

LOL. no offence but I guess it's because you have been 'thrifty' being on this free site and all?
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2019 12:46:52 PM
Exactly! You know what they say about a penny saved and all! Read the millionaire next door..learn some good statistics. Avg self made millionaire has a watch under 200 bucks!
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2019 9:27:12 AM
the difference between "old money" and "nouveau riche" is in the spending and showing off. as for being a millionaire...earn $25K a year, and you can make a million in your life. its how you spend it, how you save it, how you invest it for retirement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/21/why-these-5-billionaires-still-drive-these-cheap-cars.html
 ssm508
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2019 12:03:50 PM

It is, however, very important to me that a potential date does not live with his parent(s), and is able to take care of himself.

There can be valid reasons why a person still his with his or her parents. It's not always because (s)he is lazy or irresponsible.
1. Saving up money to buy a house. This is primarily for people in their 20s.
2. Needed a place to stay until (s)he found their own place. This can be true for people that moved away and later moved back to the area where they grew up.
3. Taking care of sick, elderly, or disabled parents.
 spot4username
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2019 4:04:54 PM

the difference between "old money" and "nouveau riche" is in the spending and showing off

Money talks. Wealth whispers.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > How much do our living arrangements play into other people's dating decisions?