Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Review      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Profile Review Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

As I have said many times(wish PIG was here to back me), the more attractive she finds you from your profile, in addition to photo's, the more likely the sexual tension builds, and she will be into you if you met in the real and there is a bit of attraction transferred to real life.. If she is in to you , the more likely she will be "just the way you want her"

Brotha Joe, (what's up, meng?) there was a time when I would have agreed, but not today. Profiles mean nothing now. It's all about the pics and stats. If I were to go through profiles of the women in my area, the vast majority will be barely a sentence or two. My last profile stated as I was only here for the forums, yet I was getting 2-4 messages a day.

People think of the written portions of profiles as lame sales pitches now, and I don't blame them. Their focus is more on finding someone that appeals to them aesthetically and meeting as soon as possible to find out what the person is truly like rather than take the word of the pitch, and end up with someone who doesn't parallel it.

Just because a woman identifies as a feminist, doesn’t men she doesn’t mean that she thinks equality applies to dating

Pfft. That's when you decide what she thinks about the issue doesn't really matter. If a woman ever tried to tell me where "equality" applied and didn't apply, I would be out of her presence before she could even finish her sentence.
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 3/29/2019 3:30:55 PM

^^^ Yeah, I know women are not all the same, and not all of them want the same thing. The irony is that this Strawberry Jello lady wants me to believe all women are alike. The law of attraction says that if you’re confident and really believe you can find the kind of relationship you desire, there’s a good chance you will succeed. Negativity and thinking no woman will want a man just for who he is as a person will just cause bitterness and failure.

Really? That's what you took away from my input? I never said that or implied that. Sure, positive thinking helps. But understanding your audience and your competition helps too.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 3/29/2019 4:45:24 PM
^^^ My audience is only a certain kind of woman who values equality. Those who think differently, why should I care about dating them? Somebody’s financial situation can be improved with hard work and good planning - shallowness cannot be.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 3/29/2019 9:57:48 PM
Chivalry goes two ways and it's not about the money. If I get to a door first and there is a man immediately behind me, I will hold the door for him. I generally offer to split the bill and if refused, I leave a generous tip. If I know I don't want to see him again, I insist on paying my way. If we continue seeing each other, then pay back is a pleasure perhaps with a home cooked meal. You will find that many women are independant in the same kind of way but any woman still feels a bit special when her date holds the door for her or helps her with her coat. Again, chivalry is not about money and you are not coming across as being all about male and female equality, but as concerned about the money. Many people have agreed. You might consider the advice.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 3/30/2019 6:59:42 AM

Again, chivalry is not about money and you are not coming across as being all about male and female equality, but as concerned about the money. Many people have agreed. You might consider the advice.

EXACTLY! 100% how he comes across ,and his examples of showing equality are flawed. Worse he tried to reflect my pointing out his flaw in logic by saying my argument was flawed, although by his very examples he proved men and women are NOT equal.
So as Mr. Freud would say" lets get to the root of the problem?"
OP thinks he doesn't have "money". He never defines how much money he has or doesn't have but seems to even look down on people . He used an example of how people are shallow in California because of this.
He even went as far some place as saying he wants a women who isn't shallow and wants him for his personality and LOOKS, but part of that is the very definition of shallow. Wanting him for his looks is no more or less shallow than wanting a man who is financially secure. Physical beauty is a traded commodity , same as money. But with money you can buy looks and about your comment that people can lose money isn't exactly true. People lose looks also and wealth is rarely lost. Sure the lucky guy who wins to lotto most likely will lose his money but wealthy people usually pass their money to kids,etc.

The law of attraction says that if you’re confident and really believe you can find the kind of relationship you desire, there’s a good chance you will succeed. Negativity and thinking no woman will want a man just for who he is as a person will just cause bitterness and failure.

True agreed. But having a hang up about "money" is actually not confident and a turn off probably. Just be happy with what you got and stop being judgmental about money. Accept that you can support yourself and that it is enough.You are educated which means you can make more than average in a 1st world country and your job description seems good.

But stop thinking you need a certain figure or a women is shallow. Ask anyone who has money, you gotta respect it but not fear it. Money for most people is an accumulation of their energy since it is what we get paid for every hour we toil in the soil. If there wasn't pay most people wouldn't work. Heck, I am getting paid and I don't work! Just living a normal life is good enough for most girls.

BTW girls in Toronto are actually not that down to earth. Many of my friends in NYC always joke that the girls in Toronto have an undeserved ego. Sure women in NYC have a big ego also but NYC girls on average are much more attractive and sexier so can back it up. Toronto girls no way! Montreal girls on the other hand..WE WEE( in our youth it is common right of passage to travel to Montreal to drink and go strip clubs when we tun 18).
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 3/30/2019 10:47:37 AM

Chivalry goes two ways and it's not about the money.

Exactly, chivalry does go both ways. And I wouldn’t call it chivalry, I’d call it manners. Chivalry is a medieval code of conduct for knighthood. Unfortunately there are also a lot of women out there who think it only applies to men - this is where I have a problem. If women can say “no hookups or FWBs” to weed out men who just want sex, I don’t see why it’s wrong for a guy to craft his profile to weed out women who would never think of paying for a date or asking a man out first.

Again, chivalry is not about money and you are not coming across as being all about male and female equality, but as concerned about the money. Many people have agreed. You might consider the advice.

Tell that to all the women who were calling men “cheap skates” on this forum a few years ago. Some women do think that it’s about the money. I can see the same thing in a lot women’s profiles where they seem to think that the majority of men are pervs and they come across as if sex is a taboo subject. Even men looking for a real relationship and marriage would not want a woman who thinks the majority of men are perverts and is close-minded about sex. That’s a major turnoff for men.

Wanting him for his looks is no more or less shallow than wanting a man who is financially secure. Physical beauty is a traded commodity , same as money. But with money you can buy looks and about your comment that people can lose money isn't exactly true. People lose looks also and wealth is rarely lost. Sure the lucky guy who wins to lotto most likely will lose his money but wealthy people usually pass their money to kids,etc.

Being attracted to somebody’s looks is actually being attracted to the person, not what you buy them. I guess I am cheap in some ways because before when I made below-average income I had to find ways to save money. Now that I’ve moved up a little bit financially it’s difficult for me to change that mindset. I prefer doing things the cheaper way, even if they’re harder - for example, walking to the store instead of driving to save money on gas. I’m not rich, but I can take care of myself and pay my bills.

BTW girls in Toronto are actually not that down to earth. Many of my friends in NYC always joke that the girls in Toronto have an undeserved ego. Sure women in NYC have a big ego also but NYC girls on average are much more attractive and sexier so can back it up. Toronto girls no way! Montreal girls on the other hand..WE WEE( in our youth it is common right of passage to travel to Montreal to drink and go strip clubs when we tun 18).

Yes, girls in Toronto can be shallow and French girls probably do have more sex than Anglo girls. But I don’t their lifestyle compares to that of girls living in lalaland. In Calgary generally people are polite and down to earth. I’ve never even had never anybody give me the finger when I cut them off. There’s been a huge influx of Filipino immigrants here in the last few years. Now they’re the biggest minority group on Calgary. Where I work they make up about 80% of the employees. They are very polite and down to earth.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 3/30/2019 11:18:59 AM

Being attracted to somebody’s looks is actually being attracted to the person, not what you buy them.

Not true. Looks is the wrapping paper. It actually doesn't consistently reflect about what a guy is about , his true self. We are born with our looks. No effort or work required.

Making money , unless your old money....takes work,often hard work and effort, intelligence,creativity , persistence, even discipline to accumulate it, and more discipline not to waste it. With money one buys looks. For girls, they can buy attractive clothing, nice make up and haircuts and even get a personal trainer in the gym. Lets not forget plastic surgery.

For men it is the same thing. Women mostly care that a guy looks "good", which is an attractive appearance. Money buys that.

I had a friend (went o Hollywood) that was very good looking, I mean 1 in million, the top .00001%. He has been on TV but I can't reveal who he is of course. He even had J LO hit on him. He was also very smart so a good combination(win chess in 3 moves). Problem is most women attracted to him mostly for looks and he could never trust them because he was so good looking that they would often cheat on their BF's or husbands just to be with him. Never met any women who could resist his charm but in the end he could never be happy because he knew ALL the girls were just using him because of his looks(women use that as status/trophy as well as men do) and he couldn't trust them. His game plan was to find a rich women since he thought that way he could at least get something. He always told me he would rather have money than be a "beefcake".
To repeat:If a girl like s you for who you are (ethics, values, personality,etc) that is one thing but if it is money or just looks or your fame they are all basically bad reasons. At least money means a guy can raise a family. But "money" means different things t different women. For most women it means you can support yourself, and a family if need be. Doesn't mean you need to buy a mansion with a bat-cave and call yourself Mr. Wayne!

ell that to all the women who were calling men “cheap skates” on this forum a few years ago. Some women do think that it’s about the money. I can see the same thing in a lot women’s profiles where they seem to think that the majority of men are pervs and they come across as if sex is a taboo subject. Even men looking for a real relationship and marriage would not want a woman who thinks the majority of men are perverts and is close-minded about sex. That’s a major turnoff for men.

Was? THEY STILL ARE. There is a reincarnation of an old time poster who has returned and is sprouting the same sh#t about cheapskates and the membership is going around in PM's saying it is_______ Not that it matters but
it is a cultural thing and the problem isn't a problem UNLESS it is a so called self claimed feminist who wants her cake and eat it to. But people see through that crap right away and gals get away with that simply because of desperate men who allow it. Now that isn't to say that there are not legitimate old fashioned men but those types of guys don't generally date feminists so a moot issue.

But not all are like that. Canadian feminists seem more likely to pay or offer.Brits too. Women from Iceland, Norway, Sweden, same thing. In Israel, they want guys to pay but except for the Russians there most don't. If you want more equality go to live in Sweden but in a decade when the new immigrants rule it probably be more old fashioned.
The rest of the world like Southern and Eastern a Europe is more based on chivalry and culturally old fashioned , but what is the problem?
The Eastern Euro's are cool with sex but old fashion, like the 1950's in other ways. Old fashion means they are generally less shallow.
Filipino women are VERY old fashioned ,
you know? In their culture man not only pays for them but for relatives as well.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 3/30/2019 11:50:30 AM
^^^ Well I generally don’t try to date women from cultures in which the man is always expected to pay. But even within cultures there are people who are different. My ex-wife was Greek, and I don’t even remember who paid more often - we both took turns. I’ve seen how macho the Greek culture is. She didn’t want to marry a Greek man because she would be expected to be a traditional housewife - which she didn’t want to be.

When I married her her brother told me that I didn’t know what I was getting into because her family acted like a Maffia. Her mother was falsely accused by her uncle of being a prostitute, so her uncle hired somebody to bump her off.

Actually the Filipino women are pretty generous. A coworker of mine buys me coffee sometimes.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 3/30/2019 5:32:56 PM

Actually the Filipino women are pretty generous. A coworker of mine buys me coffee sometimes.

LOL. I get it now. Basing an opinion of "Filipino" women on the "sometimes" generosity of one. Ta da. Therein lies the problem. No offence intended KI but consider it?
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 3/30/2019 7:32:35 PM
^^^I just said not everybody of a certain ethnic group thinks the same. A lot of the women who contacted me first on this site came from cultures in which the man usually comes pays. I always stated in my profile that I don’t believe in this, yet I had Greek, Lebanese, and Chinese women contacting me first.
 sparkyn98p2
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/4/2019 5:50:39 AM
Is it awful that I wanted to go get some popcorn while I was reading this thread? :D

I know you're getting responses now.
However, if you want my humble advice, you do go on about the money piece a little too long.
Just say you're not a sugar daddy and not looking for a sugar momma and keep rolling with the rest.

Or, leave it alone now that you're getting responses. haha
Just my two cents.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/4/2019 10:57:30 AM
OP...Glad to see the bearded photo is gone. Who was that? lol
Your profile reads quite nicely now. Much better IMO.
Curious as to what you mean by a dislike of....

Not knowing how to flirt openly

What? Like suggestive winks, coy smiles, come hither smoldering looks from under the eyelashes (like in movies), revealing clothing, deliberate attempts to display the body? When I was younger, my friends and I would tease those women behind their backs. Squeeze our upper arms against the sides of our chest to make our girls pop up and create a more impressive cleavage while we would wink and drawl suggestively...."Hiiii theeerrre! Is that what you like? So basically, you want a woman to flirtatiously suggest sex in this way when you meet her? That's what it would seem that phrase in your profile suggests. Really? I only ever did that kind of thing as a joke or with my SO and then it was generally an invitation.....LOL.....dreamy smile...tingles....goose bumps....remembering when.....
 spectravision
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/4/2019 11:03:54 AM
^^ As for not liking swearing include a joke about a swearing jar where each time they swear they need to stick a gift voucher in it
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/4/2019 12:55:32 PM
Just add to your profile, it will go over well:
"Relationships are not fairy tales, I'm not prince charming, and you're not a princess. It takes work from two. If you don't get it, we won't match. I can bring fantasy to life (can you?), but we have to re-visit reality occasionally. I can sweep you off your feet, but you'll have to knock my socks off. If you don't think you can get me barefoot, you probably can't. "
Then add if your a feminist :

"hey, so do you have a job? I need a woman who can support me while I play video games all day.” :P
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/4/2019 1:25:56 PM

Squeeze our upper arms against the sides of our chest to make our girls pop up

Works for me.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/4/2019 8:00:15 PM

What? Like suggestive winks, coy smiles, come hither smoldering looks from under the eyelashes (like in movies), revealing clothing, deliberate attempts to display the body? When I was younger, my friends and I would tease those women behind their backs. Squeeze our upper arms against the sides of our chest to make our girls pop up and create a more impressive cleavage while we would wink and drawl suggestively...."Hiiii theeerrre! Is that what you like? So basically, you want a woman to flirtatiously suggest sex in this way when you meet her? That's what it would seem that phrase in your profile suggests. Really? I only ever did that kind of thing as a joke or with my SO and then it was generally an invitation.....LOL.....dreamy smile...tingles....goose bumps....remembering when.....

What’s the point of dating if no flirting is going on? You said you only did this with your SO, but what did you do before he became your SO? I’m sure you had to show him you were interested in something more than just a friendship?

Canadian women are generally very passive when it comes to flirting openly. As an experiment I sent out opening messages saying, “Hey baby;” Some women were offended by it and some thought it was funny. I sent one to a Latina women, and she wanted to talk with me on the phone right away. When I said I didn’t feel comfortable giving my number out right away she got mad and blocked me. In some cultures flirting openly is expected.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/4/2019 8:34:07 PM

What’s the point of dating if no flirting is going on? You said you only did this with your SO, but what did you do before he became your SO? I’m sure you had to show him you were interested in something more than just a friendship?

IMO a flirt is a tease. Before he became my SO, we were busy learning about each other....how to kiss....how to kiss.....breathing heavy...etc...etc.....and it was really good and I really, really liked him soooo...he became my SO. Then I flirted and I wasn't teasing.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/4/2019 8:55:20 PM
^^^ Exactly, you were flirting before he became your SO. A woman has to show sexual interest in a man by teasing, and vice-versa.

I don’t see why some women had a problem with me calling them “baby.” In my experience more women call men they don’t know by pet names. The woman behind the cash at the liquor store just called me “hun.” I didn’t have a hissy fit because of that.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/20/2019 9:06:20 AM
^^^^^
That was not flirting. That was seriously getting to know each other better and it certainly didn't happen on the 1st, 2nd, or probably even the 3rd date.

Being called "baby" by a male stranger is creepy, far too intimate and even demeaning IMO.
 backcreek7
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/22/2019 6:58:55 PM

being called " baby " by a male stranger is creepy

^^^ I would most whole heartedly agree ~ although I think " sweetheart " is valid & a genuine sentiment of affection. I sometimes refer to women I've known for a time in writing as such, because they simple ARE .... what can I say ? Or >>>> what should I say to describe, how I feel about a woman friend ? ^^^

... Part of the reason why I feel comfortable calling a woman friend " sweetheart " is because I feel most all women ARE exactly such, and deserve to be told ~ as it's a complement, if done correctly ...

... heart / sweetheart / sun ...
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/24/2019 7:34:55 PM
^^^^^
Mr BC7....you can call me sweetheart any time you like.....sweetheart....col with my wittle comfy T-shirt. Wink. I fringed the sleeves and hemline and it is soooo....cute and comfy!
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/24/2019 8:31:30 PM
I think you and July S. would hit it off like a house on fire, and... she is Canadian too.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/26/2019 3:30:43 AM

That was not flirting. That was seriously getting to know each other better and it certainly didn't happen on the 1st, 2nd, or probably even the 3rd date.

Being called "baby" by a male stranger is creepy, far too intimate and even demeaning IMO.

A female Filipino coworker of mine calls me “baby” all the time and sometimes jokes that I’m her boyfriend. The thing is, she’s married. I don’t take it seriously, as I know she’s probably not serious, and there are cultural differences. A woman on this site also recently called me “cutie” when we just started texting each other. If I did that to a woman, I’d probably be blocked or get a nasty response. I don’t know why some women believe that they can’t be creepy; that it’s only men who can be.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/30/2019 9:09:07 PM
From what I hear the dating sites were more genuine back in the day..What is average to one may not be to another. Asking strangers opinions is a waste of time. So much depends on the walk, the talk and the physical chemistry.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Profile Review
Posted: 4/30/2019 10:47:43 PM

I think you and July S. would hit it off like a house on fire, and... she is Canadian too.

I’m more liberal than she is. She doesn’t even like feminism.
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Profile Review