Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > She used a gift card to pay for her meal      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 76
view profile
History
She used a gift card to pay for her mealPage 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

Did you never go with your wife to a restaurant, even before or after your marriage? Married people can have 'date' nights too.

Only with a lot of family or friends. That wasn’t too romantic. We didn’t have money to eat out due to circumstances I will not discuss here.

Interesting concept. I would be interested in your reasoning here.

TheGuardian.com contributor Ally Fogg argues that while the friend zone does not exist in a literal sense, men who use the term "friend zone" are not necessarily misogynists who feel entitled to sex. He states the term's usage reflects a genuine emotional experience for straight men with low self-esteem and self-confidence. He places blame on ingrained gender roles.[9]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friend_zone
 spot4username
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Have giftcard, will travel.
Posted: 4/3/2019 12:39:16 PM
*sigh*
I can't believe I am about to write this but here goes - I know most people don't care but since some people do seem to want to be pedantic about it here is an accountant's perspective in a retail environment and yes, food and beverage/hospitality is retail. Of course there may be exceptions here and there but this is a very industry wide breakdown of the standards that are set in place for the vast majority or retail establishments.

Giftcard
A giftcard is a method of payment. It can be specific to a business, a group of businesses or bank issued (like Visa or MC). A giftcard is used after all discounts and coupons have been applied. A giftcard is used after taxes and the transaction has been totaled. If the giftcard does not cover the full amount of the transaction another method(s) of tender must be presented. All giftcards should be returned to the customer regardless of whether they are "empty" or if they have a remaining balance as "empty" cards can often be "reloaded" and it is the property of the customer.

Discount
A discount is not a method of payment. There are many different types of discounts. For example - active military, senior citizens, students often receive discounts that are a percentage off their transaction. Many business run sales that feature percentage discounts. These sorts of discounts are taken after coupons are applied but before taxes.

Gift Certificate
A gift certificate is a method of payment. There are many different types and are particular to the business. They are usually for a monetary amount. For example - we issue many gift certificates to charities and they use them in silent auctions and whatnot for fundraising. A gift certificate is used after all coupons and discounts have been applied. A gift certificate is used after taxes and the transaction has been totaled. If the gift certificate does not cover the full amount of the transaction another method(s) of tender must be presented. Gift certificates do not have a carry over balance. If you make a purchase that totals $19.00 and your gift certificate is for $20.00 you do not receive $1.00 in change nor do you receive a new gift certificate with a value of $1.00.

Coupons
A coupon is not a method of payment (even if it says it is for a free item). There are two types of coupons. Manufacturer coupons and Store. A manufacturer coupon is offered by the manufacturer. They are available in a host of locations - Sunday paper, online, on the packaging of the product, via a Catalina machine (these are the coupons that are printed when you make a purchase and your cashier hands them to you with your receipt). Manufacturer coupons have limitations – dates, product size, product type, doubling, amount (even if it says the item is FREE there is a limit) etc. Store coupons vary greatly. They could be for a set amount - $5 Off!, a percentage Save 20%!, an item Get a FREE Appetizer, etc. These sorts of percentage discounts are coupons and not accounted for the same way that something like a Military discount is. They are physical and must be presented by the customer, retained by the store, and sent to corporate along with manufacturer coupons for a store to receive reimbursement. Most stores require the transaction being totaled before coupon(s) and then a new total reflecting the coupon(s) and taxes is calculated. This is because of the limitations of many store coupons requiring a certain amount being spent before the coupon can be used.

Now go forth and date with reckless abandon!
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2019 1:13:00 PM

The friend zone is actually a relatively new concept. It was popularized by an episode of the sitcom “Friends” in 1994. Some people don’t think it really exists. I believe it exists and has to do with ingrained gender roles.

Yeah that show made it cool to live in a roach motel NYC apt sleeping in bunk beds with roommates but on that show ALL the friends were sleeping with each other at one time or the other. Even Joey (I do a good Joey imitation)) and Chandler seemed too close sometimes(raises brow).

But there is no friend zone UNLESS you go and put yourself there. It isn't like the twilight zone where you just end up no matter what you do. You can't be in the friend zone if you don't accept being her invitation to a useless relationship of wanting what you don't have.
 spectravision
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2019 1:25:35 PM

But there is no friend zone UNLESS you go and put yourself there.

Exactly.
 FFS38
Msg: 80
view profile
History
She used her body to pay for her meal
Posted: 4/3/2019 4:38:31 PM

Guy #4 - Wanted me to pick where to go. I told him he could choose. He wouldn't so I made a couple suggestions but then he suggested more expensive places.

Perhaps he had heard about guy #3?

Guy #3 - I had just wanted a quick meet-and-greet at a Timmy's but he insisted on supper at a nice restaurant. I instantly began worrying in my head about the cost but when I tried to talk him into a place cheaper he told me not to worry about it and said he would pay for it. Inwardly I felt bad because I knew I didn't really like him and slept with him later because of the nice meal and guilt that he'd paid so much for supper.
She used her body to pay for her meal
Posted: 4/3/2019 7:06:31 PM
Kokanee?? I just looked at your profile and noticed two things. One of your dislikes is a woman who doesn't know how to openly flirt. Well, not only did this girl fail to do that, but so did you.

The other dislike is a woman who swears. So, if she happens to be flirtatious and says "Hey, how about we ditch this joint, and go back to my place so I can f*ck your brains out!"

You would reject her? Say it isn't so, man. Come on.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2019 8:56:12 PM
I have a 50% coupon for a store sale tomorrow. Say today, I could go and spend $100.00 but instead I go tomorrow and get the same items for $50.00 after the coupon. That fifty is now still in my pocket. It may not be a recognized method of payment but in this scenario, it has a monetary value even if only intrinsic until the actual purchase. So then I go to a restaurant with a coupon for a free meal with the purchase of a meal. Each meal is $20.00. Now I still have $20.00 instead of having spent $40.00. Soooo.....I beg to differ. Pedantic perhaps but the coupon still means money in my pocket. LOL and I will buy a man some dinner with it!!!!!

Now someone tell me I'm right so I can go to bed....lol!
 FFS38
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2019 1:00:55 AM

the coupon still means money in my pocket. LOL and I will buy a man some dinner with it!!!!!

Lol....is this based on the Guy #3 principle?
 spot4username
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2019 1:51:46 AM

I have a 50% coupon for a store sale tomorrow. Say today, I could go and spend $100.00 but instead I go tomorrow and get the same items for $50.00 after the coupon. That fifty is now still in my pocket. It may not be a recognized method of payment but in this scenario, it has a monetary value even if only intrinsic until the actual purchase. So then I go to a restaurant with a coupon for a free meal with the purchase of a meal. Each meal is $20.00. Now I still have $20.00 instead of having spent $40.00. Soooo.....I beg to differ. Pedantic perhaps but the coupon still means money in my pocket. LOL and I will buy a man some dinner with it!!!!!

Now someone tell me I'm right so I can go to bed....lol!

It is not a method of payment. The store does not receive payment when you use your coupon. The money your coupon replaced does not show on the bottom line as an amount in the black. We do not see a gain when a coupon is used. When a giftcard or gift certificate is used there is a gain. Those are amounts that are entered as deposits. You can think of it however you would like but it is not money going into the account of the business.

As I prefaced my many words with - this is from an accounting perspective. Now I am off to play with money and numbers. Everyone have a wonderful day!
 _Rise_Above_This_
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/4/2019 3:37:01 AM
^^^^
Are you saying you decided to babble because you couldn't figure out Shirley was talking about money in her pocket from an accounting point of view.
 SurelyIamShirley
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2019 9:08:20 AM
^^^^^
It is an amount in black in my pocket....lol. Sheesh. These accounting types can be soooo anal.... lol - I wish I knew how to use all those funny little pictures. I think I need the dancing pickle. col (Ha ha BC7 - used it again!)

Lol....is this based on the Guy #3 principle?

Errr....lol...no. He would have to put out for me! Shhhh. Just not 'that'.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2019 9:10:12 AM

Kokanee?? I just looked at your profile and noticed two things. One of your dislikes is a woman who doesn't know how to openly flirt. Well, not only did this girl fail to do that, but so did you.

Lol, I guess at did fail to do that, but I'm working on it. I guess it just irks me when women don't put any effort into it and expect men to impress them - you impress me honey.

The other dislike is a woman who swears. So, if she happens to be flirtatious and says "Hey, how about we ditch this joint, and go back to my place so I can f*ck your brains out!"

Flirty dirty talk is different. I work in a macho male-dominated environment - I hear the F-word too much. There's a time and place for swearing, such as, "@#%*!!! I locked my keys in my car!" but there ain't no reason to go around cussing all the time.
 julystorm22
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2019 10:28:17 AM
I agree. I can swear with the best of them but to me there is a time and place. It really bugs me when I'm out and about with someone to places like out for lunch, at the grocery store, at work and people are swearing. I have no problem with swearing in itself but I really kind of look down on people who swear in places that really they shouldnt be swearing at. I go out with my kids and I know they've been exposed to a lot of swearing but I want them to learn that there are places where it just isn't acceptable.
 cooldog65
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2019 12:26:33 PM

I think I need the dancing pickle

It's a green banana and here it is...
 spectravision
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2019 2:32:05 PM
and again

Shirley have a look at this link ;)

https://forums.plentyoffish.com/15823718datingPostpage14.aspx
Posted: 4/4/2019 7:43:04 PM

I guess it just irks me when women don't put any effort into it and expect men to impress them - you impress me honey.

Well, as Journey sings in their monster hit "Don't Stop Believin'", you need to "hold on to that feeling". Don't ever play the role of circus monkey.

but there ain't no reason to go around cussing all the time.

I don't know about that. I find it f*cking cathartic.
 julystorm22
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2019 8:36:13 PM
I don't think it's that women sit back and wait for guys to impress them. What I think is that women are unsure about a guy's intentions and wait for a guy to give her some idea or impression about who he is and his motives. Remember that women are all about nonverbal communication, we try to read people and understand things about them just based on seeing.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2019 8:59:25 PM
^^^ In my experience women are the more verbal sex. On average they talk much more than men, although there are always exceptions. What bothered me when I was with my ex is that when I’d come home after a long day she wouldn’t be quiet. I just waited to relax and not listen to some long rant.
 ssm508
Msg: 94
view profile
History
She used a gift card to pay for her meal
Posted: 4/5/2019 7:00:31 AM

The gift card doesn't matter but the fact that she jumped forward to pay her half and also said the 'friend' word was a classy way to reject him.

Using the word "friend" probably means she wasn't interested. But in general splitting the bill on the first date / meeting doesn't necessarily mean she wasn't interested. Some women simply think it is the correct thing to do or they want to "prove their independence". I dated a woman that told me during a first date / meeting that she prefers splitting the bill. Regardless of how well the date went.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2019 7:33:15 AM

I don't think it's that women sit back and wait for guys to impress them. What I think is that women are unsure about a guy's intentions and wait for a guy to give her some idea or impression about who he is and his motives. Remember that women are all about nonverbal communication, we try to read people and understand things about them just based on seeing.

How about you be that woman that sits down, gets an impression of the guy and then decide whether or not YOU are interested
in what his intentions are? Maybe tell him what your intentions or expectations are and not wait for him to make the first move?
If I like someone, I let them know by my mannerisms or words. If I don't like someone, they'll also know by mannerisms or words.
I don't like guessing games. You're either in or out.

That's not to say things might not work out afterwards...but at least you both go in knowing you're going to give it a try.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2019 7:34:39 AM
And yeah, what's with all the hate towards the f word? Sometimes it's the only word that works in the situation you're in.
 spectravision
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2019 8:16:38 AM
^^ It works for a lot of things
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2019 8:20:41 AM
Lol yeh, that’s the internet for ya, there is a disdain around using words like friends, nice etc.
We need ever more words to describe the same thing.

It’s always going to be split regarding who pays.
There’s no right or wrong way.
I’m always in my bra or pocket pulling out my card (don’t carry a bag) I’ve been single a long time, its just automatic.

My ma always expected my pa to pay when out but that’s cos he ‘controlled’ the money even though she earned more. Seemed strange to me.
 spectravision
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2019 8:25:20 AM

My ma always expected my pa to pay when out but that’s cos he ‘controlled’ the money even though she earned more. Seemed strange to me.

My mum looked after the money. This is why my dad always said to me . If you win £200 at the bookies you only won £50 haha. He always made sure she never wanted for anything and it was rainy day money. I guess he was self deceiving himself. He wasn't bad with Money or ought. It was how it was.
 FFS38
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2019 1:23:10 PM

I don't like guessing games. You're either in or out.

I guess that's the general idea, behind the hole thing?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > She used a gift card to pay for her meal