Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Dealing with Angry Kids      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry KidsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
msg#25:
She goes from 0 to 100 so quickly and the throwing things and hitting things gets intense.

Could be your oldest girl is approaching puberty. Lots of hormone fluctuations, etc. going on. It's a tough time for young girls.
My great-granddaughter got her period three days after she celebrated her tenth birthday. None of us saw THAT coming though she WAS acting a little squirrel-ly!
Best of luck to you~
 julystorm22
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry Kids
Posted: 4/17/2019 2:46:47 PM
Maybe hormones do have something to do with it. She will be ten in less than 3 months and she is 5'1 and still growing fast. And kids nowadays seem to be developing quicker.
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry Kids
Posted: 4/17/2019 3:12:49 PM
msg#27:
Maybe hormones do have something to do with it. She will be ten in less than 3 months and she is 5'1 and still growing fast. And kids nowadays seem to be developing quicker.

Time to have 'The Talk' (again)~
(Smile)
 spectravision
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry Kids
Posted: 4/17/2019 3:18:30 PM

Not sure about that. I remember at primary school over 30 years ago a girl had her period in the playground for first time at 10 years old.
 Kokanee_Ice
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry Kids
Posted: 4/18/2019 7:29:59 PM
Well in my grandfather’s day he would have threatened to get the belt - not that he’d actually do it. Nowadays you need to listen to what they say and empathize them.
 julystorm22
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry Kids
Posted: 4/19/2019 9:52:17 PM
Unfortunately, kids have too much power now. Back in my day I listened to my parents (for the most part) because I respected them. Yes, I may have been a bit difficult for my mom a fair bit back in the day but I never did half the things my kids did or said what my kids say. I had a few wooden spoons broken on my butt too and if I pushed my mom too far I got my dad's belt. I only got three beltings from my dad over my childhood and I still believe I fully deserved them. I used to give my kids the odd spanking and it kept them in line but then I did it after me and my ex spit and he called social services on me so I had to stop and now my kids laugh when I tell them to do something, telling me I can't give them a spanking because that's "abuse" and they'll tell their dad. Meanwhile I have virtually every person I know telling me they need a good spanking.
 spectravision
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry Kids
Posted: 4/20/2019 5:47:14 AM
I got the belt on a few occasions, and did me no harm. I never lifted a hand to my son ever as it doesn't work in my eyes.

I think you have given the children to much power so need to divide and conquer. Start with the oldest and the others will fall in line. It won't be a quick fix. It will take time.

Just do the best you can July, and in time things will get better.
 julystorm22
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry Kids
Posted: 4/20/2019 9:05:15 AM
Divide and conquer is a good plan but how do I do that? The problem is she is the most independent and the younger ones do need more immediate attention. It's not as if I can take her on a 3-day camping trip in the bush without them. I tried a reward system these past two weeks and my 7-year-old is thriving on it as she loves the rewards but it has seemed to make things worse with my 9-year-old who refuses to do the things she needs to do to get the rewards and then is furious with me for bringing in the rewards system and intensely jealous/angry at her sister for winning all the rewards. Its turned into a competition with one person refusing to compete because she doesn't like the rules. I'm gonna stick with it though in hopes that my oldest will work through the jealousy enough to realize she wants to get the rewards.
 spectravision
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry Kids
Posted: 4/20/2019 9:22:24 AM

Divide and conquer is a good plan but how do I do that?

That's hard to say as I don't know the child, but don't let her get away with anything that belittles you in front of the other kids.

Keep with the reward system. She'll come around to your thinking when she continuously gets nothing. It's your way and that sets the tone.
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry Kids
Posted: 4/28/2019 8:23:12 PM
to July... I’m not going to dare try offering advice on how to deal with your girls... I know it’s tough... Just offering a supportive - you are strong and can handle this....

However, I do have some amazing names of childhood *advisors* (they don’t like the term experts) and if you get a chance, could look them up...

Maggie Dent (Western Australian)

Nigel Latta (irreverent & Politically incorrect New Zealander)

Stephen Biddulph (Tasmanian - and one of my best guys)

When my lad was giving me loads of grief, I took a lot of advise from the Empowering Parents website... to the point when my lad went on an in-house fury rage, no “bluffing” anymore, I called the constabulary and three squad cars pulled up.... (my kid is big & strong, and can do damage in one of his rages - BUT I’m not suggesting you call cops on your girls... that’s just where I went, and it helped *scare him straight* with ‘in my home’ boundary setting...)
https://www.empoweringparents.com/

Good luck with it... don’t forget to take time to breathe.... and it’s not “bad” parenting to countdown the days until they are 18 and you can run-away from home.... lol ??????
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry Kids
Posted: 4/30/2019 5:18:30 PM

countdown the days until they are 18 and you can run-away from home.... lol ??????

Or they run away first.
 julystorm22
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Dealing with Angry Kids
Posted: 4/30/2019 9:10:33 PM
Oh, my 9-year-old has run away a few times but she doesn't get too far as you can't throw a stone here without hitting someone you know. She ran away one day and I posted on Facebook if anyone had seen her and several Facebook friends in town posted me updates. My main worry is in a couple years if my ex starts helping her run away and hides her on me which he would definitely do, plus he doesn't care if she goes to school or not.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > Dealing with Angry Kids