Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Dogs in the Workplace      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wood_smell_as_sweet
Msg: 26
view profile
History
the dogs want to sniff my dogsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Double Cabin, the issue isn't that dogs are being allowed in the workplace. The real issue is that poorly behaved dogs are being allowed in the workplace. It should not be up to the employees to earn the dog's obedience. Its the responsibility of the dog owners to teach their dogs good manners. I would not bring my dogs to work if they barked at people and licked at them.
the dogs want to sniff my dogs
Posted: 4/17/2019 4:29:40 PM

You can make an effort to be part of the solution and do your best to bond with your coworkers and make the required effort earn the dog's love, respect, and subsequent obedience.

Yeah, and let's see if we can get dogs hired as official employees, too, while we're at it. Pffft.

The incredible universal arrogance some of you have demonstrated here in declaring dogs don't belong in any workplace should make almost anyone question how flexible you're capable of being when it comes to any kind of relationship.

This is some of the nuttiest shit I've ever read here, and that's saying a lot, because there's never a shortage of formidable competition.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2019 7:52:32 PM
The guy has a point. The worst dog bite I've ever had was my own fault because I apparently let off little fear vibes when it came lunging at me while I was walking up my own driveway. It was a German shepherd. It took a chunk out of my ass. I was a teenager. The owners were living on my parents' property. For free. I was glad when the lady explained to me that it was my fault, because it allowed me to learn from the experience. I've tried to be a better person since.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Dogs in the Workplace
Posted: 4/17/2019 9:26:42 PM
I love animals, dogs and cats... That said, I work for the Dept of Veteran Affairs, and in the last 5 years there is a lot more dogs at the VA with their veteran owners. However many of these dogs are not true Service Dogs, they are emotional support dogs, or other versions of pets. They do not have the training of a Service dog, and is easy to observe. We have to call Police Services and have them address it.
Posted: 4/18/2019 8:12:49 AM

I've tried to be a better person since.

I hope you've sought counseling to help you better relate to the pooches. If not, I implore you to do it NOW. Your relationships with human beings will surely improve as a result.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2019 8:41:45 AM
"some of the most profitable businesses in the world, allow workers to bring in their dogs"

>>>unless the business is pet-oriented in what products it sells or services it provides...i just don't get it. part of it is due to my allergies--i can be around an animal for hours, but after 48 hrs my reactions are as obvious as they are disgusting to look at. i would have to petition to work from home, b/c unless there's a cleaning crew removing dander and saliva every night, its probably in the air filters, fabrics. another part of why i don't get it is, i grew up when dogs and children were frowned upon in the workplace (tho i live in the snow belt, so there had to be some leeway. typically a worker would bring their child home on lunchbreak). for centuries, companies have stayed in business working without dogs running around the place. how exactly have things changed that that no longer works for productivity? how do loudly barking dogs (according to the OP) make a workplace less stressful?

(i guess i missed that memo)

other than the need for a service dog, why exactly do i need fido licking my feet in order to do my job (maybe we could go back to creepo male coworker giving shoulder rubs)? i've been bit twice in my life, but dogs don't stress me out. i just don't need 'em having accidents or licking me or freaking out during a thunderstorm in order to accomplish my job. it would be great to say, "just quit your job", but some people do still need the insurance or live in an area of few jobs. what i think the real issue is, the higher ups saying" this is the deal, live with it!" and that does not jive with:

"The incredible universal arrogance some of you have demonstrated here in declaring (your opinion) in any workplace should make almost anyone question how flexible you're capable of being when it comes to any kind of relationship....You can make an effort to be part of the solution and do your best to bond with your coworkers and make the required effort..."

shoot, my last job, my immediate boss would be visited by an old friend who would light up a cigarette in our office full of computers. so i'd walk out and return in an hour. my boss got the clue, he's welcome to have friends come and smoke and i'm welcome to stop working around it. so his friend would visit when i was on lunch. otherwise, smoking isn't allowed in a business, tho smokers would argue it calms them down, too (i would debate back that they had to leave whatever was causing them stress, to go outside to smoke, and that was what was really calming them down).

oh well, it seems to be a thing now. this article says 9% of business offers it as a benefit. maybe its due to low unemployment tightening up the labor market.

https://www.cleartheshelters.com/More-Companies-Allowing-Employees-to-Bring-Dogs-to-Work-489922521.html
 cooldog65
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2019 8:50:28 AM

The worst dog bite I've ever had was my own fault because I apparently let off little fear vibes when it came lunging at me while I was walking up my own driveway. It was a German shepherd. It took a chunk out of my ass. I was a teenager. The owners were living on my parents' property. For free. I was glad when the lady explained to me that it was my fault, because it allowed me to learn from the experience.

The owner should have been held responsible for this. Unless you provoked this dog, this wasn't your fault at all.
 wood_smell_as_sweet
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2019 9:53:13 AM
There's been an increasing number of incidents in my area where people are being bitten by urban Coyotes. It must be their fault. Small dogs are being attacked and killed by Coyotes too. The dogs must be at fault.
 Whatsamattababy
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2019 2:57:22 PM
"Unless you provoked this dog..."

Alas, this can be open to interpretation. That lady said she saw me swing my backpack at the dog. I don't remember this, but likely I instinctively put my hands out to shield myself, and happenned to be holding my backpack. My trying to defend myself may have provoked the dog.
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2019 8:38:41 AM
if it happened in your driveway, then in an animal's mind, you were in your hunting/mating territory, and have the right to defend it from invaders. the last time i got bit by a dog, it was a rescue dalmation who was known for breaking ground floor windows to charge at people walking by. it was my landlord's dog, his renter let me in to the kitchen to hand over the rent check. is it my fault i was on its territory or is its known behavior the fault of the owner? the only good thing was, they never raised my rent even when other costs went up (i shared a furnace with them on the property so my heat was included in the rent), afraid i'd decide to sue.

if memory serves, legally a dog's actions are the responsibility of its owner. just like a young child.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 4/24/2019 1:31:49 PM
ROTFLMFAO. ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
 wood_smell_as_sweet
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2019 10:05:30 AM
Yesssssss.....she gets bitten by someone else's dog in her own driveway and its her fault. Hilarious.
 Jay6598
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2019 11:15:58 PM
Oh Posh!
Her dislike of dogs at the workplace is not a reflection of her ability to maintain a relationship.......

I get it. You may like dogs in general, but I can see how if they're little yappy things it might get to you day after day, all day long, week after week.....month after month, yap, yap yap..
I think it's more like she started her position and no dogs were in the workplace and now the BOSS has brought them in and she didn't get any choice in the matter. And she's EXPECTED to like the dogs. She may get a raise if she takes them for walks and gives them treats...or
she may get fired if she kicks one out of the yappy way. :) #itsafineline
 Coma_White
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 5/2/2019 9:48:11 PM
God, I hate it when people bring dogs to work. Why the hell would you get a pet that's not able to be left alone while you go to work? I just don't get it. Our secretary brings her dog to work but the boss likes dogs so it's cool with them. I'm allergic to most dogs and cats so I find it annoying. It doesn't help that the dogs next door always wake me up barking at nothing. Woof! Woof! Woof! Woof!
 BaldwinMotionPhaseIII
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2019 9:32:53 AM
the only thing worse is a couple loudly gettin' it on in the next room while you haven't in years. and i speak from too many years of experience. would rather listen to real jackhammering out at the curb.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Dogs in the Workplace