Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > how many online dates have you had?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 americangentleman
Msg: 7
view profile
History
how many online dates have you had?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Zero. . . .and the saga continues. . . .must be my luck...
 ace96403
Msg: 8
how many online dates have you had?
Posted: 8/16/2005 8:54:54 PM
what is a online date???? thats my question
 alucarm
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2005 9:21:14 PM
I've seen three different people.
 UrbanMyth
Msg: 11
Posted: 4/12/2006 9:24:08 PM
3 so far...I am still pretty good friends with one of them, and the other I still e-mail jokes and junk like that..the other was a freak..totally a freak..real piece of work. Oh, also have a stalker, luckily, she lives nowhere near me, nor have I met her in person. She keeps on asking me to marry her. What the hell? Scary. She says I am the only nice guy that she has ever talked to..and I am like 'you don't get out much, do you?'. That's like the second time this has happened to me. Oh well.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2006 9:40:06 PM
I think about seven or eight, but don't quote me.

All from POF ( one from Yahoo personals) , out of about perhaps thirty requests for a coffee together. Only three woman have ever accepted my invitation, the others invited me.

All were nice people , far prettier than their pictures would have allowed me to believe initially. I never had a bad date, and I think they would say the same.

All also followed the same pattern, one date only.

The last one, a woman I met from here and went out on a date with last week, is still an ongoing story. It remains to be seen where it leads, and I take each day as it comes. It may prove to be like all the others, or it may not.

What ever will be , will be.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/12/2006 9:44:16 PM
I have come to the conclusion that online dating just isn't my venue. I am just too freaking old....and not easy enough.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2006 9:51:55 PM
I don't think it's a question of age or anything else. I really am starting to realize that the entire online dating process is in fact not something that typically works well for anyone.

Look at the number of people that do it, and the few successes that occur. Compare that to the "real life" process, where it is typically much more rewarding.

If you are looking for just sex, or just friendship, the internet is a good thing. Combine both, and the wheels start falling off the silicon wagon.

Either we are all crazy, or the actual medium is the problem, in some mystical McLuhanesque way. Perhaps it's just the way we use this digital world to meet each other that causes all this, and I am trying to alter my use of it to see if that improves it any.
 who_the_fox
Msg: 15
Posted: 4/12/2006 9:57:48 PM
The medium is flawed for sure....but its not like I am dating in the "real world" either. I am at the point where I am becoming resigned to being dateless, boyfriendless, relationshipless forever. I am past the societal "best before date".

Online dating is just a giant "wish book"....it isn't about real people, it is about statistics, how tall, how old, what kind of body....and a lot of the people here are just preying on the lonely for sex or money or whatever.
 rory27
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2006 10:28:10 PM
or the actual medium is the problem, in some mystical McLuhanesque way

Excellent thought, Montreal.

I've only dated 6 or 7 women from POF, two of them mutiple times, but I've been here a little over a year. I quit sending out mail after week two of being here, just responding to others. Sent out quite a few again, though, several weeks ago.

I've also felt, but for longer than MontrealGuy, that online dating, despite some success stories from some wonderful people here, is not a good medium for dating success. The whole process is much too cerebral and careful. Most of us look at email or profiles in a calculated manner, because, after all, there's no real chemistry or personality-- no LIFE, to be short about it-- coming across typewriiten words. And the longer the correspondence goes back and forth, whether it's by e-mail or through the forums, the worse it is, IMO, because the cerebral connection has been established, and you've settled in as friends or acquaintances already-- it's a hard transition to then somehow transcend to a romantic interest from there.

Words are typed, or scanned, but you can't touch, smell, hear, or see the other person during this so-called "communication". And, especially from the man's vantage point, if he tries to quicken the pace to meet as soon as possible, he's often looked upon with apprehension, even fear, as being a "player" or "desperate".

As to this last point, 7 or 8 years ago I joined a phone-dating site for 2 months. I went on 32-37 dates in those two months. 80% of the women who initiated the messages left their phone #s. Conversation lasted, usually, no more than 15-20 minutes, long enough to establish a screening against egregious mismatches, and we met within the week.

The point is, there was no cerebral build-up, with a fussy shopping list mentality. The attitude on both sides was, "hey, let's get together and have fun, and see what happens."

After the two-week mark from when I joined last year, I've treated this site, gratefully I hasten to add, as a cool place to read and post poetry. The dates I've treated as a bonus. Most of my dating occurs, and is focussed, in the "real" world.
 sunnychic78
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2008 11:18:29 PM
zero dates from the internet....
made a lot of friends though.
 arwen52
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2008 6:36:59 AM
In the last three years, over 20. I'm counting a first meeting as a "date." Really, I can't remember all of them. Once I met three different new guys in one day. That was too much! I've met two in the same evening and, coincidentally, they both wanted to meet within half a block from each other. I was nervous the first one would see me with the second one & told him I was meeting a friend afterwards.

The guys I'm meeting now are better than at first. I think I've gotten better at screening people & developing a sense of who would be someone I'd like to know. I've also gotten better at putting out who I am.

Ya never know. I met a young guy who lives in my neighborhood and we're not quite what each other is looking for, but we really liked each other's company and agreed we should stay in touch. We're practically neighbors and who knows, we may end up introducing each other to someone better suited.

The experiences have been all over the map, including one screwy guy who began diagramming sentences on a napkin within five minutes of our first meeting. He was a bit of a nut. Mostly, a few were boring. One sleazeball couldn't go 15 minutes without talking about drugs or sex and was obviously trying to get me to do that with him. But once I got past a certain point, they've been moderately to fairly interesting. And the last one . . . amazing but geographically challenged.
 ryansmsk
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/19/2008 10:01:15 AM
none since i rejoined this site this fall , only in the early stages of messaging singles . an actual date still seems very elusive .
 4408joseph
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2008 10:05:56 AM

Once I met three different new guys in one day. That was too much! I've met two in the same evening

Holy Cow. Would you like to be my secretary??? Talk about "TIME MANAGEMENT"

In my best David Copperfield dating mode I couldn't pull that off..

Dates, or meets???

Less of the first then the later...
 Sherlock101
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2008 11:12:35 AM
I've been on a little more than a handful of dates with women I met online over the last few years. I do live in a small town though and I was also out of circulation for a bit while dating someone I didn't meet online.
 cfb62
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2008 11:55:32 AM
In the last year...10ish.
 cfb62
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2008 11:57:25 AM
It's because too many guys lie and misrepresent themselves.
Plus you can't order chemistry like a pizza.
I'm sure desperate people don't need to date too many people.
They just take whatever they can get and aren't picky.

entrepreneur08
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/20/2008 12:59:32 AM
Over the years I can't even remember the count. I have had 2 long term relationships from online dates.

From this site? I would say about a dozen or so.
 *topchef*
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/20/2008 10:11:27 AM
Not nearly enough. rolleyes:
Still single, still looking, still an optimist!
 electrawiz
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/21/2008 5:25:25 PM
I have met 8 or so prospective dates in the last 8 years. One was only a first meet, she brought her one-year-old son. Six lasted for a month or two of dates and ended as friends. The last date and I had a relationship for 6 years. Probably not the norm, but, I like people who share the same interests as I. I feel this is a great medium to find people with like interests!
Posted: 12/22/2008 6:28:54 PM
From here. Zippo. Zilch. Nada.

Which is ok. I prefer to meet people in the real world instead.
 GooonieGooGoo
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/23/2008 10:00:03 PM
2 from this site a long time ago, and 2 from eHarmony. I'm not too picky, just seems that most ladies in Minnesota are "picky" and are looking for the cream of the crop. I can't blame anyone for me being single still at the age of 40, it's because of severe social anxiety and depression from being alone and single. That's the first step, admitting that I am the one that has the problem....
 SoILL Jim
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/24/2008 6:09:39 AM
That's none of your business. And members really should not answer this question.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > how many online dates have you had?