Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Opera      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 azblueskies57
Msg: 1
OperaPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I am doubting not much here. Not much in the general population either. I only listen to classical, opera and gospel. No one else I know does.
 Herkimer
Msg: 2
Opera fans?
Posted: 8/15/2005 11:35:17 AM
I only listen to art music, be it classical, opera, jazz, musical theatre...I think life is just too short to waste it listening to garbage
 GentleHand
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Opera fans?
Posted: 8/15/2005 7:07:15 PM
Wozzeck by Alban Berg:

A simple soldier is chewed up and destroyed by the oppressiveness of "the system."

writ in 1820 considered modern opera.

last i saw it was in Seattle, done professionally

our university's drama department did a fabulous time with it,
it was a play adapted to modern opera.

heh.

i loved college.
 smart__cookie
Msg: 4
Opera fans?
Posted: 8/16/2005 3:24:37 AM
I love La Boheme.
 Herkimer
Msg: 5
Opera fans?
Posted: 8/16/2005 6:11:14 AM
Wow...Otto...you grasp of the obvious is certainly..well.....obvious LOL

Nutcracker IS a ballet....last I checked there are no lyrics in a ballet! LOL
 Rug Doctor
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Vancouver Opera
Posted: 3/9/2006 2:15:34 PM
Opera= "show tunes" for straights ? hehehe
 Brolga
Msg: 7
Opera
Posted: 12/28/2006 7:31:48 PM
Love this thread!
Where did you go to see all those operas in one year?
Do you remember Rosa Ponselle? (I think you're too young, but you may have heard
recordings.)
Frederica von Stade did the Duchess of G. Gorgeous aria: "Dites-lui." Wonderful,,plaintive voice.
I saw Joan Sutherland in Lucia when she was 37. Amazing experience!
 Rose Bubbles
Msg: 8
opera
Posted: 1/30/2007 7:12:33 PM
I love opera.
Verdi is my favourite.
 techgirl27
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Opera
Posted: 1/31/2007 5:40:54 PM
I played in operas for 6 years in College (did a double major, with music).

I really miss the big productions and great singing. Puccini, Bizet, Mozart, la la la la la la la
 Rose Bubbles
Msg: 10
Opera
Posted: 5/12/2007 6:55:05 PM
Do you like Carl Orff -Carmina Burana?
 musicmammad
Msg: 12
Opera fans?
Posted: 7/20/2007 11:07:38 PM
The Phantom of the Opera is NOT an opera and there are no songs in The Nutcracker, it is a ballet.
 musicmammad
Msg: 13
Opera fans?
Posted: 7/20/2007 11:14:42 PM
The "little guy" is Jose Carreras, who is a tenor.
Sarah Brightman is not an Opera singer.
The Phantom Of The Opera is not an Opera.
 No prince charming here
Msg: 14
Opera fan?
Posted: 7/21/2007 7:15:26 PM
Yes, most certainly. Get my fix on cbc radio 2. I haven't got a favourite as I find them all very good. Though I did try to get through listening to Wagners The Ring Cycle completely. I think I need more listening endurance.

I do like almost every genre of music.
 musicmammad
Msg: 15
Opera
Posted: 7/25/2007 6:51:19 PM
Loreena Mckennitt is a Celtic folksinger. She isn't "semi opera". Not even close. A singer is unlikely to be able to "go" opera unless they have had extensive vocal training. Perhaps you could benefit from listening to some real opera singers singing real opera.
 Beholder
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Opera fans?
Posted: 11/8/2007 10:34:19 PM

Sarah Brightman is not an Opera singer.
No? What defines someone as an opera singer? Being professionally trained and singing opera to an audience? Then she certainly qualifies. She doesn't only sing opera pieces, but I don't think sometimes singing a different genre of music somehow makes you less skilled or valid than someone whose art is more focused there.

Anyway, I'm not a huge opera fan - other than just the pieces Sarah Brightman sings, I also like some of the songs from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana and Delibes' Lakmé, though.
 artbroken
Msg: 17
Ben Heppner
Posted: 1/16/2008 5:14:21 AM
I just saw him do a recital last night in Thomasville, Georgia. He was absolutely phenomenal, filling the concert hall with an artistic, beautiful yet powerful sound. :)
Pavarotti is still my favourite though (closely followed by Gedda)
 Beholder
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Opera stuff
Posted: 2/11/2008 3:51:10 AM
Well if this thread is going to rise again, then alright.

I'll admit, while I do think she has a powerful voice, she's been mic'd when I've seen her live, so she may well not be able to be heard over the instrumentals in a classical opera setting.

As for the Pokemon movie - she just covered a song by Sissel which they then used as the movie's theme - at the very most that's selling out, but she is an incredibly talented singer regardless.

Listen to her renditions of Nessun Dorma, O Mio Babbino Caro, Lascia Ch'io Pianga - she may not be an "Opera Singer", but she can certainly sing opera.
 anne04915
Msg: 19
Opera stuff
Posted: 2/12/2008 5:56:48 PM
I love opera butn I have yet to see a live performance. Does anyone know where in Maine they have opera performances?
 Opera_Kitty
Msg: 20
Opera stuff
Posted: 2/13/2008 11:32:27 PM

The Nessun Dorma she does sounds wrong... it is a tenor aria, and it sounds strained when she sings it. And also, a bit lesbian, since the text is a love poem to a princess.

Well, she gets around the gender thing by changing "principessa" to "principe." Out of context - and for an audience that is not primarily an "opera" audience, it's a pretty minor thing. Anyone who has only heard Nessun Dorma out of context and does not follow opera is not going think it "sounds wrong."

Yes, she has pretty bad diction, not the greatest technique, and could most likely not hold her own in a production mounted at the Met, but she has introduced opera to an audience that would not normally give it a second listen. She is a brilliant business woman and very talented.
 Opera_Kitty
Msg: 21
Opera stuff
Posted: 2/14/2008 12:19:57 AM

Frankly it can't be that hard to sing, Michael Bolton recorded it. Lascia Ch'io Pianga is an aria often given to first year vocal students. My dog can sing O Mio Babbino Caro, it is a very basic piece.

Ok...I was going to just let this go, but it's bothering me. I find it highly offensive when opera snobs have to minimize the accomplishments of a non-opera singer when they record/perform an opera piece. Rather than giving them credit for what they have done, the reaction is "Well, it isn't really that difficult of a piece anyway." Since that is the reaction, they must have done at least a passable job, otherwise the argument would be that they were stepping out of their abilities, not that the piece isn't really difficult. Not to mention the slap in the face to the legitimate opera singers who have worked on those pieces. Would Bolton's or Brightman's performance fly on the legitimate opera stage? No. But why be rude and nasty?
 Zeppolino
Msg: 23
Opera stuff
Posted: 3/30/2008 2:46:22 PM
My apologies to all those opera affeciandos out there who have a wealth of knowledge about the subject. My love for opera comes from the heart, not from the head and heart together. Have always been an admirer of Puccini. Can't imagine the world without "La Boheme" and "Tosca".
It was my good fortune a few years back to visit Puccini's home at Torra del Lago. To see the actual piano where he first heard the incredibly powerful compositions was truly magical. And as a special treat Puccini's grandaughter happened to be visiting there that day, so I got to kiss her hand in honor to my late father, who had introduced me to his work.

There is a much more recent opera that has onlyh been performed three times, but if you ever see that it is being produced, go see it (I believe a CD is available): "Akhanaten" by Philip Glass. I was fortunate to see it at the Boston Lyrical Opera, and it was a mesmerizing experience.

And to those who have yet to see Opera live and staged in its full glory, there's is nothing else like it. Go if there is any way you can.
 ericp331
Msg: 27
Opera stuff
Posted: 5/30/2009 5:45:17 PM
The last opera I saw was in Rome in November 2007 when I was there on vacation. Rossini's "Mose in Egitto."
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Opera fans?
Posted: 5/30/2009 8:04:58 PM

oh dear. if phantom of the opera - classical than shakira probably diva of la scala opera house.
by the way. tchaikovsky wasn't shakespear. composer only and did his nutcracker as a ballet. that's mean there no lyric to sing

First - Phantom of the opera may not be "classical", but it's certainly opera.

Second - Tschaikovsky wrote all his music with the human voice in mind - he just never bothered to add lyrics. There's a reason why his stuff is so melodic, and has been adapted for movies & soundtracks more than any other classical composer.

I spent almost 20 years listening to nothing but classical, and I even sing some opera myself - but only in private, or when I want my daughter to leave the room :-)

Last few years, I've been listening to more and more different types, no doubt due to the influence of my daughter, and having to fight for control of the speakers.
 ericp331
Msg: 29
Opera fans?
Posted: 5/31/2009 9:07:13 AM
Phantom is as much an opera as Les Mis is. Neither of them are operas. If they were, they'd be performed at the Met, Covent Garden, La Scala, and, because Phantom takes place there, at Palais Garnier.

Phantom is a musical. No, it's not a traditional dialogue, song and dance musical, because it's sung all the way through, but it is still a musical according to music scholars.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Opera