Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How did you learn to cook?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bczin
Msg: 37
view profile
History
How did you learn to cook?Page 9 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Out of desperation! My mom couldn't really make anything other than green bean casserole, and chocolate chip cookies. Anything else and you were risking your life! So rather than heating up tv dinners in the microwave I started cooking and never really stopped.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 38
view profile
History
How did you learn to cook?
Posted: 11/29/2007 9:00:54 PM
I have pretty much taught myself what I know to date.
Not that I am a fancy cook or anything like that! lol
Mom was never really into cooking so I was left to my own!
 magnusfl
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2008 6:51:27 PM
I grew up in NY only child of a single mom and her boyfriend was to cheep to pay for a babysitter so instead he took me to some of the best restaurants on long island and NY City on his expense account so I developed very fine tastes in food at an early age so when I was 13 my mom started her masters degree so was not home at night so had to make dinner for us and TV dinners just did not cut it
So I started and while I made some things that were inedible I also made things wonderful so I continued learning and got better so not a bad cook at all now and yes I made very nice dishes such as beef wellington I also excellent on the grill and make wonderful omelets
 TrackMan391
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/8/2008 7:02:03 PM
I pretty much learned by watching my mom (and to a lesser extent, my dad). My family wasn't into restaurants, so I had plenty of opportunities to observe how they cook. By age 6, I could already make breakfast foods and desserts. Over time, I picked up on things, so by the time I started high school, I knew how to make a complete meal. This served me quite well, especially after I got my own place. It's fun to try a recipe from the internet or my own rendition of a family classic, although like a lot of people pointed out, it gets boring when you know you'll be pretty much the only one to eat it.
 JustMeinBflo
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2008 7:53:20 PM
For me, it was just trial and error, although I had watched cooking shows in my late teens, for some weird reason.

I rarely, rarely use recipes, just my imagination, and it seems to work well.
Posted: 10/1/2008 10:25:09 PM
When I was a little girl , spent my lazy day of Summer breaks at my Grandparents
farm in Virginia. There I got to spend time with two people that were my heart of
hearts and loves of my life- My sweet loving Grandparents. When being there with
them I'd help my Grandmother in the kitchen - Till one day at age 6 I pulled up a
a stoole and adorned apron just like my Grandmother wore and helped her in the
kitchen bake homemade bread & pies ! Then from that point on I watched her real
closely how she preparped meals of all kinds and her spices and special touches they
made everything taste fine. I learned to cook by someone I loved best and that loved
me unconditionaly that was my Grandmother Effie Mae whos jams and pickles were
the best and better than all the rest!
The rest of my cooking lessons was from my Mother,
then what I learned in cooking class at school ,
followed by many cook books that I collect.
I still feel I was taught by the best ...
My Grandmother she made everything taste great !

This Forum I Post In Loving Memory Of My Late Grandmother
.....................................She ... Taught Me The Real Meaning Of Life !!!!!
-Brenny-
 webweebil
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2008 2:27:22 PM
My Italian grandmother. She had her own garden and made everything from scratch, from sausage to bread to pasta. I was fascinated by her alchemy and spent a lot of time in her kitchen. She always had biscotti on hand to sweeten the deal and make sure I was around to lend a hand. Smart woman.
 tonyyarusso
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2008 11:14:30 PM
Camping. If you're going to go out in the woods and burn twice the calories you normally do, it doesn't take long to learn out of necessity. I wasn't completely clueless to begin with, having some basics from my parents at home and at parks (we camped a lot together), but then began to develop my own on scout outings. Throw in a little competitive nature of teenage boys along with being really hungry and you'll understand why it's important to be able to come up with a seven course meal miles from civilization using only a campfire and Coleman stove. Way cool. I'm just now beginning to translate those skills into a "normal" kitchen...
 PickMe_PickMe
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/28/2008 5:23:52 AM
Everyone thinks my dad taught me to cook because he was a chef.
He didn't but he taught me two excellent things:
1. What good food tastes like - bad food is unacceptable
2. Not to be afraid in the kitchen - good ingredients and methods = good food

Then I hit the books over 40 years of trial and error.
 fancynanci
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2008 4:01:22 PM
I learned Italian style cuisine from my ex-mother-in-law. I learned Asian-style cuisine on my own from books. Everything else - I learned through trial and error, and 8 years of subscribing to Bon Appetite Magazine. Cooking is one of my greatest passions. I just love feeding people.
 ejluvtolaugh
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/30/2008 10:29:59 AM
When you grow up in the kitchen it just seems to come natural. As I became older it was if you want to eat you must help find the food or prepare it in some way.

Living on a remote island, though it was the largest island in the nation gave a young child an open view to alot of assorted fruits, vegetables, island herbs, natural cooking utensils, and a open ocean and grounds of fresh fish, fowl, and other meats.

We would buy our staple goods by the 25 to 50# bag that were brought over by the ferry. Our kitchen was with us at any given time or place since it was basically an open fire that you would start whenever or where ever you were at.

Watching over the shoulders of the islanders and or active participation was my best teacher and the taste of the food after working hard to obtain it was definitely rewarding.
 jadegreen
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 12/4/2008 2:24:49 PM
Well, I didn't really learn most of my cooking from my mom like many would, although I did learn to slice a potato fast by watchin mom...I learned by watching aunts and friends and such..kinda self taught....Usually all my friend cook well so i learn a tip or recipe from each one...Read a lot of recipe books too...
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/5/2008 12:36:24 PM
My X husband was/is a Fine Dining Chef, and I used to go work with him all the time, and travel to high dollar places all over the United States, and we worked with a lot of famous Chefs. It is the one good thing I did get from my marriage...especially since I live on the Atkins diet!! I make all of my own sauces, salad dressings, soups, stocks, not to mention I LOVE doing all of it. And I know what is being put in the food I eat. It has also really changed the way I shop, and I spend a lot of money on good food. But it beats eating porrly, and I can make it last a long time. The most fun of all of it was meeting all the chefs we see on tv, and spending time in their kitchens, and learning things I would never have gotten to see.
 Green Eyes In Florida
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2008 4:51:34 PM
Part of this explanation is quite comical if you think about it.

First of all, I was fortunate to grow up in a household where even though my parents divorced, my mother made sure that we were provided what we needed; including, a housekeeper that cooked us meals regularly except on the weekends which would usually entail Saturday night going to Little Caesar's Pizza and Sunday was take-out chinese food. The housekeeper cooked homemade meals prepared Monday through Friday and dinner time was exactly at 5:30 on the dot where we sat, my two sisters and I and our mother for family dinner.
I remember that my mother could NOT cook worth anything and usually burned EVERYTHING; including, the chocolate chip cookies and steaks on the grill. It wasn't until I was a grown adult living on my own and tasting a medium rare steak that I realized that a steak was SUPPOSED to look and taste scrumptious like that. (My mother's version looked like a burnt, dried out black shoe..lol)
When I was leaving for Ohio to attend college, I remember asking the housekeeper to not only show me how to cook some of the items that she prepared, but also how to do laundry because I didn't want to be embarrassed in college going to the coin laundry with all the other students and NOT knowing how to do my own laundry. (I probably would have sent my laundry out to a dry cleaning establishment to do it for me-NO KIDDING.)
So, to wrap this up, I have become a rather wonderful cook and baker, (if I do say so myself..patting self on back) and usually have no complaints for those that I cook for.
That's my story and, I'm stickin' to it..lol
OH...and if I've been redundant and repeated myself on this thread, I can't remember. I tell everyone that I gave my brain cells to my children. LOL

~~Beth~~
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How did you learn to cook?