Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 astrosky
Msg: 28
view profile
History
what is more important...the person picture, or taking a chance to get to know them 1stPage 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
If someone refuses to show me their picture, and so far I like them, I just schedule a coffee date with them as soon as possible. This cuts right through the crap about being coy about looks. And usually they bail on the date because if they're too chickensheet to show their face on line, they're too afraid of rejection to meet me in public either.

I had one of these faceless wonders cancel our first date because it was raining! He never tried to reschedule either...he knew if we met "too soon" his looks would do him in, I guess!
 drpookie
Msg: 30
what is more important...the person picture, or taking a chance to get to know them 1st
Posted: 8/23/2005 1:33:00 AM
^^HOLY SHIT
Me:

No picture=0 emails in 45 days

6 Pictures =0 emails in 345 days

conclusion=chicks dont like chubby babyish looking guys, Im a prime example of exactly what they dont want

Tips to guys=dont look like me, if you do, give up, become gay or jump into a volcano
 irish622
Msg: 33
view profile
History
what is more important...the person picture, or taking a chance to get to know them 1st
Posted: 8/23/2005 5:13:55 AM
very well put, deception will not get anyone the relationship, or even perhaps friends, they are looking for
 Missy
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/23/2005 9:05:48 AM
I have 3 pics i send out..from a glam pic..to two everyday pics...which do you think gets the most replys? all are me...so i never know if that person wants to know me for me or the person in the glam photo

Its the one of your leg that got me baby ;) LOL That IS your leg...right???

However big our hearts are, we are visual creatures
very well said DC, sad but true

And Charles Manson is a good writer....

Well-written profiles can be just as much of a lie as good photos....

(except mine, of course )
LOL Calgarydude - and mine too.

I personnally i like taking the chance in getting to know that person, besides doesn't the saying go "Don't judge a book by its' cover".
and we all know the best things in life (or in books) are between the covers...right? ;)

I had one of these faceless wonders cancel our first date because it was raining! He never tried to reschedule either...he knew if we met "too soon" his looks would do him in, I guess!
this just happened to me Saturday night. My pals figure he's a married fish and his wife wouldn't let him out to play.

Me:

No picture=0 emails in 45 days

6 Pictures =0 emails in 345 days

conclusion=chicks dont like chubby babyish looking guys, Im a prime example of exactly what they dont want

Tips to guys=dont look like me, if you do, give up, become gay or jump into a volcano
baby boy, it could be because you're 18 and most of the people on this site are much older...try sending emails out to women in your age group..see if that helps.

What kills me are the people that put pics in their profiles or send via fishmail that are obviously very old. These people can't seriously be interested in meeting anyone, they're just here to play the games. If they were serious, they'd update. Come on folks its 2005 - no excuses anymore.
 Missy
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/23/2005 11:17:53 AM
Posts do it for me too sista Di, why do you think I asked Druid to marry me after reading his?? sigh, lol
deeds and words speak louder than pictures anyday - still its nice to see who you're talking to
 Missy
Msg: 40
 irish622
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2005 10:58:08 AM
very well put, I, for a while refused to post a pic as I put no faith in them, had many woman either disappear or tell me they refuse to talk to me with no pic, and I could tell you about some stories of how deceptive they have been with their pics.
Anyway, I completely agree with you, women these days put everything into looks.....
 Tigress
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/24/2007 7:50:59 PM
I think that both are equally important. What if you are talking to someone for a long time and the two of you are getting along great, and then... you finally get a photo or meet the person for real, and they are a Troll???

OR, you are knocked off your feet by a person's photograph, but they don't have anything interesting to say, don't have anything in common with you, have a bad attitude, or can barely spell well enough to communicate with you???

You have to connect mentally AND have a physical attraction for it to work.
 cuspofgemini
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/18/2007 6:25:08 AM
MOST people on dating sites are usually looking for some type of physical/sexual relationship. For me, sex is a very intimate and sensual experience. If there is no physical attraction in any way at all, the sex part will NEVER happen. I don't care how great your "personality" is. We all have a certain type of person that we are attracted to in a visual sense. What I find attractive in a man may be the complete opposite of what some other women find attractive in a man.
For me, there also has to be a strong emotional connection. If it's not there, the sex will NEVER happen.
Why meet a man when you know right off the bat that he's not your type?
I don't get it.
 jf468
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/8/2008 3:36:39 PM
A picture gives a broad idea of what a person looks like, but you can't always determine how good looking a person is from some pictures. Unless a man was completely not my physical type, I would not rule him out based on some pictures. Therefore I would say getting to know a person is more important. Then I would find out his personality, interests, values, beliefs etc.
 judyarlinepuckett
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 2/9/2008 1:54:35 PM
Photographs;

Pictures give a person a idea of who you are,not just in the obvious,as in attractive,
but things such as friendly eyes,and a confident smile.
They say a photograph is worth a thousand words,
the words are important too,
giving your thoughts and views.
Don't be shy about a picture,
it's not a contest.
it's just another way of giving
a person a insight to
you as a person,
and a potential friend...
 o1217
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/9/2008 3:53:56 PM
Heck Reality Most need some sort of attraction but in the end personality does over rule. At our age, taking a chance on words is not reality.
 J.R.0950
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/9/2008 4:04:59 PM
picture for me,if you arent attracted to someone youre not going to want to get to know them,not in a relationship type situation anyways,but its equally important that they`re a good person inside as well.
 StarliteKisses
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2008 7:07:26 AM
When I first started using dating sites, I too thought it superfacial to not consider profiles without pictures. Then I realized that while writing these men, I was forming my own image of what they looked like.....and my image never mirrored what they truly looked like....needless to say I was always disappointed. So now I like to know what I am dealing with from the get-go. And yes, that IS part of the attraction. For me....no picture....no reply.

~Sexy Vixen 4u~
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 90
Posted: 2/22/2008 10:21:40 AM
Since these threads just will NOT quit showing up, gonna repeat this at least one more time, lol!

We have FIVE senses; ONE brain; ONE soul. All of the five senses do NOT equal half a brain or half a soul. To let 1/5th of a lesser important sub-set of who I am do the picking? Not going to happen *for me* ~~

Perhaps, the rest of ya'll need to ask yourselves if the picture thang is werking so well for you, why are you still on PoF, still looking. . . .

Good luck. . . .

woobytoodsday
Msg: 93
Posted: 2/22/2008 10:46:04 AM
If all of you were truthful, you would agree.

Nope. I met my last SO after a year on a blog with no pics. We began emailing, and I was in love before I'd seen a pic. By the time we met, he could have looked like the hunchback of Notre Dame, and it wouldn't have mattered. It lasted until he died.

I've responded three times on PoF to guys with no pics. Two are good friends, and one is the fella I'm in love with. Did not see a picture of him until I knew there was a very good chance I'd fall in love with him. And *never* asked for a picture at all.

I'll repeat: NOT GONNA LET MY EYES DO THE PICKING!!!!

ItsMargo
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2008 11:07:15 PM
I met the fellow I love on PoF... he didn't have a pic available. We got to know each other really well through IM, email, phone before we met each other.

It was exciting to do a "blind date". He had, I think, more at stake in not having a pic available than I had. He faced rejection based on *looks* because there certainly was a chance I might have taken one look at him and said "ugh, sorry, but no." We both faced the potential disappointment of the amazing "virtual world" connection we'd developed not being able to make the leap into the real world.

Neither of these potential negatives are life threatening... so why not go for it?!
 ItsMargo
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2008 7:27:16 PM
^^ That is the danger of it. By the time you have talked and established a connection... the last piece to be tried on is physical attraction. It can be a clunker of a rejection at that point and really isn't for the faint hearted (that's why I chose to post a pic, lol)

My bf and I met here on PoF, he did not have a pic. We had an amazing online connection; that first physical meet was really a blind date.

I didn't gag and run in the other direction, so we're still together.
 ciscoj33
Msg: 114
Posted: 3/30/2008 5:29:59 PM
if you don't think women go after looks then you are living in fantasyland. And detroitdrew has perfect evidence for that. character and the quality of a guy went out with the 20th century. for women nowdays it's all about looks. looks is just like****size. if a woman says****size isn't important, she is lying to you. if she says looks aren't important, she is lying to you. ya'll wake up and smell the coffee guys. women aren't that hard to figure out. they're way too simple-minded to keep throwing you for a loop.
 mthomjmark
Msg: 120
Posted: 4/19/2008 1:24:32 AM
I look at the photo, and if I think they are attractive to me then I read their profile; most pictures to be honest though are fairly old. One women was 31 and had a prom picture up. lol; I mean its ok, everyone can do what they want but thats what I do.
 DDay555
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2008 2:10:42 PM
I think the photo starts things off and unless there's something you're hiding, is pretty mandatory in the online dating scene.
 DDay555
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2008 7:52:09 AM
Yup they do...
Um, perhaps in my case REMOVING mine would be better...
 CherylCake
Msg: 136
Posted: 5/6/2008 8:14:41 AM
No Pic No Meet. Sorry. The front door says alot about the inside of the house.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >