Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 687
Genital HerpesPage 33 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)
If someone is really deathly worried about herpes or any STD really, that person should not have sex or kiss anybody, because there is ALWAYS a risk you can get it, even with a condom, even if you think the person is "clean". A lot of people have genital herpes without even knowing it because they never had an outbreak. In many cases, decades can pass before herpes becomes "active". In other words, you could have contracted herpes decades ago but never knew it because it never manifested itself with painful sore, flu-like symptoms, etc. My job (nurse) has opened my mind a lot about STDs and the often ridiculous stigma attached to them. There are no routine tests done for herpes and HPV (gential warts). They are usually diagnosed when the person has an active outbreak, with a culture or by clinical diagnosis. Women can find out if they are HPV carriers by having PAP smears. Many times, we've had couples where one person has a genital herpes outbreak and their partner of several decades has never had one. They then get a blood test that can show if they also have it (but it is not done routinely to my knowledge). I've seen kids as young as 2 with active herpes (oral) outbreaks - should they be shunned right from the start like a leper because their mom gave them herpes? Please, be real. I'd worry more about Hep C or HIV, herpes is child's play in comparison, it won't kill you.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 688
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 11/1/2014 12:34:11 AM
TIK, what you say is true. For my generation oral herpes was called a cold sore and was given no special mention, for the most part. In fact, even though my undergrad and graduate education was (quasi) medical in nature, I didn't become aware of what "cold sores" really were until I was nearly 30. I don't think I was particularly ignorant (could be mistaken),, although it almost seems like it now with 20/20 hindsight.

I further concur, with this one caveat: herpes can spread to more sensitive areas of the body if not treated properly. A herpes infection in the eye can lead to blindness. And in some susceptible individuals herpes can be more than an inconvenience. So let's not diminish it's potential severity - rather, retain some perspective.

TK
 hemingway114
Msg: 689
Genital Herpes
Posted: 11/1/2014 8:24:22 AM
The best way to prevent STD's is monogamy and marriage (Some people think monogamy is a type of wood!).
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 690
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 11/3/2014 4:52:22 PM
There is no test to see if a man has HPV but a women can found out through a pap smear. There is test a blood test for herpes . You can find out you have herpes with out breaking out.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 691
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 11/4/2014 12:46:04 PM
Monogamy IS a type of wood. Hehe.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 693
Genital Herpes
Posted: 12/8/2014 10:56:18 PM

Posted by r239:
"lots of people will still want her..."

Lots of people will still want whom?

My suggestion is to stay monogamous and always get tested before entering another relationship.
That is to increase safety just in case your previous partner was not 100% faithful. Good luck.
 ohenryx
Msg: 694
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 12/9/2014 11:24:17 AM

Tarnished_Knight
For my generation oral herpes was called a cold sore and was given no special mention, for the most part. In fact, even though my undergrad and graduate education was (quasi) medical in nature, I didn't become aware of what "cold sores" really were until I was nearly 30. I don't think I was particularly ignorant (could be mistaken),, although it almost seems like it now with 20/20 hindsight.

As far back as I can remember (ages 5 or 6), I occasionally had "cold sores" or "fever blisters". Nothing much was thought about it. I never gave it a second thought until people became aware of / started discussing genital herpes, which was roughly around 1980.
 Supersoulson
Msg: 695
Genital Herpes
Posted: 12/9/2014 11:27:43 AM

I had an experience a while back in which a young lady informed me, prior to any sexual activity, that she had genital herpes

You fared better than a friend of mine who was told AFTER the sex.

When he asked her why she didn't tell him prior her response was :

" you didn't ask "
 Brissy_boxer87
Msg: 696
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/15/2016 7:05:34 AM
This is for the aussies out there, facebook now has herpes singles/support page its called "herpes singles australia"
 Nth_degree1111
Msg: 697
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/15/2016 10:07:13 AM
Ah, the thread where those with herpes try to convince those without that it's no big thing. Except is really can be. A former boss used to take time off when he got cold sores, the experience was so bad. As for those saying that if you are afraid you shouldn't have sex, get over yourselves! My partners and I get tested for everything before we get physical. That way we can be completely relaxed, knowing that we are totally safe, with no nasty surprises down the line. Finally, for those who still insist that you can only be tested during an outbreak, wrong. There are several blood tests to detect herpes. I know. I've had them, and I'm clean. Hahahaha!
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 698
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/15/2016 10:25:18 AM
Oral herpes (HSV1) can be passed to the genitals, and genital herpes (HSV2) stays genital.

Is that a selling point for genital?
 dameunbaso
Msg: 699
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/15/2016 10:34:04 AM

Oral herpes (HSV1) can be passed to the genitals, and genital herpes (HSV2) stays genital.

Is that a selling point for genital?

So does that mean that you can't get HSV2 on your mouth?

And since they are kind of competing similar viruses that create a similar immune response, what happens when someone gets the oral one down there, can they still get the g one?
 Chromis1
Msg: 700
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/15/2016 10:39:21 AM
My first date with the parking lot lady bordered on scary. She went on and on about how I can't trust anybody, how I should be tested myself, how anybody I'm with should be tested. It was like a 15 minute diatribe. So dutifully, I made an appointment with my PCP. The assistant drew vials of blood, a vial for each test, and when she unwrapped my arm I asked "what about the vial for herpes?" Raising an eyebrow she responded "are you experiencing any symptoms?" "Well, no, I'm not". "Then we don't test for it". Reason: my insurance wouldn't cover it. They'll cover a test for syphilis, presumably because it'll make you go insane (see, e.g.: Adolph Hitler), but they won't cover a test for what must easily by the most widespread genital disease on the face of this adulterous planet. I left feeling as if nothing had been accomplished.
 ThroatLozenge
Msg: 701
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/15/2016 10:42:29 AM
That is my understanding. But I'm open to other's thoughts on this.

I guess my point was that the stigma for HSV2 is much worse then the cold sore.

I'm not sure what happens when oral goes down there. Maybe it goes back to mouth later?

I'd date some with herpes safely, understanding that nothing is 100% safe.

On a side note, there was a sad story a few years back regarding oral herpes being passed on, unintentionally , to 2 boys during their circumcisions as part of the ultra-Orthodox Jewish male circumcision ceremony, (metzitzah b'peh).

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/07/health/new-york-neonatal-herpes/
 Blackwood85
Msg: 702
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/15/2016 2:35:51 PM
Saying genital herpes can only be transmitted to your genitalia and not your mouth is not much of a selling point though. I briefly talked to a girl who had HSV2, I didn't look down for the herpes on her but she was a little weird and something seemed....off about her so I ended it before it got started.

With that being said, the herpes wasn't a deal breaker but it seemed like a hassle, so why even deal with it especially if I'm just dating and seeing what's out there. There are plenty of women who are STD free so why am I pursuing who has an STD?
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 703
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/15/2016 10:55:45 PM
I guess hooking up with some who also has herpes is a way to deal with it. I believe there are sites for that.
It can be passed on unwittingly and as has been said even with condoms. Those who contract it usually have a compromised immune system at some point. I guess if you have sex you are going to have risk it. Why is there not a cure for it by now?
 hemingway234
Msg: 704
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/16/2016 11:34:51 AM
I've had all my shots.
 cooldog65
Msg: 705
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/16/2016 8:06:35 PM
Could we say that this topic that has laid dormant since the end of 2014 had a recent outbreak?
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 706
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/17/2016 4:10:17 PM

Saying genital herpes can only be transmitted to your genitalia and not your mouth is not much of a selling point though.

And it's not really 100% true. You can get either affecting either area. In 2/3rds of people, it doesn't do anything to the person. And if one has HSV1 but not HSV2, it'll be hard to catch HSV2 because of the antibodies already prepared for it. Of course, one wouldn't be planning on "rarely having sex" with that person. IMO, here's where it wouldn't be a problem for me if a gal had HSV2:

- I've had what seemed to be a small cold sore once in a great while thru my years, so like most people I have HSV1 which makes it harder to catch HSV2
- She caught it Many years ago, and has never had any symptoms since (common; plus, it's transmittable potency declines over the years)
- Even though it's unnecessary for one's own benefit, she'd take a Valtrex type med
- Condom sex in change of seasons or when either one of us is sick (or if she's naturally wet, so I can last longer in general - lol)

There are plenty of women who are STD free so why am I pursuing who has an STD?

Well, 50-75% of unmarried American women between 45 and 50 have genital herpes, so I would imagine that the younger ones aren't so far behind. Combine that with the fact that HSV1 is a sexually transmittable 'disease' that a majority of people have -- and all that just being one type of virus -- the "plenty" amount is rather small to be free from anything. :)

I think when one announces something that rarely shows symptoms, one is going to think that they have an active form of it -- which, yeah, there is plenty of women who don't have active forms of HPV, HSV, bacterial infections, yeast infections, or viral infections.
 rockstartrucker82
Msg: 708
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/18/2016 4:27:19 PM

Why is there not a cure for it by now?

Because the odds greatly favor that you and almost everyone else in this thread has some form of herpes (some estimates say up to about 90% of the population). And then most people who have it will never show a single symptom of it their entire life. A cure for it isn't really a high priority because extreme outbreaks are the exception to the rule. To pretty much everyone, it's only MAYBE an occasional minor inconvenience, but most likely asymptomatic for their entire life.
 StumbledBkn
Msg: 709
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/19/2016 8:59:14 AM

My partners and I get tested for everything before we get physical. That way we can be completely relaxed, knowing that we are totally safe, with no nasty surprises down the line. Finally, for those who still insist that you can only be tested during an outbreak, wrong. There are several blood tests to detect herpes. I know. I've had them, and I'm clean. Hahahaha!

That's great that you can afford it. The only people I know that can afford it are the ones that have sex on an extremely seldom basis. And, by the way, don't relax 100%. Some blood tests are more/less reliable than others. The most reliable is a Western Blot which costs hundred$ and takes a month or so (if you're lucky) to get the results. And NONE (zero) are reliable if you've had sex 4-6 weeks before the test. It usually takes that long for antibodies to show up in the blood at a level that any blood test can detect.

For those that are skeptical of the 1 in 4 statistic, or the 70%-80% unaware statistic, don't go by how you "feel". It's a fact. Check out some reliable sources. That means, if you know beyond all doubt that your three best friends are not infected, then you're probably the one.

Frankly, there is no way for a sexually active single person to reduce their risk to zero. So if that's the goal, then the only choice is total abstinence.

Bottom line, you're statistically safer by picking up someone in a bar that knows they're infected, knows their own body, and knows how to protect a sex partner. I personally know several long term discordant couples (one hsv+ and one hsv-) who have been leading a normal monogamous sex life for many many years and yet, they remain discordant. So that tells me it's a manageable condition. If you run across "the one", and they're hsv+, I wouldn't head for the hills without at least doing some research first.

Good luck out there everybody :-)
 StumbledBkn
Msg: 710
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/19/2016 1:45:04 PM

Here in Canada we just go to the doctor or clinic and the testing is free....

That's great if you live in Canada ;-)
 Nth_degree1111
Msg: 711
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/21/2016 6:08:16 AM

That's great that you can afford it.

Canada. It's covered. Socialized medicine is great. Don't let anyone tell you differently. (And no, it's not free, our taxes cover it)
 StumbledBkn
Msg: 712
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/21/2016 12:43:18 PM
Has anyone read past the first line of my post?? LOL!
I can appreciate your love of country and its healthcare system, and I really do think it's great that you have it. But I was hoping to enlighten somebody with all the research and typing I did. My two fingered typing system doesn't exactly make for lightening fast keyboard work. Soooooo is nobody interested in the rest of my post? LOL!
 revoskeepnus
Msg: 713
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 7/31/2016 5:50:17 PM
shingles, herpes, etc... all herpes infections are caused by lack of enzyme balance. Rahter, you break out when not in balance.

In the case of herpes it's Lysine and Arginine.

Taking Lysine will prevent any breakouts.

Honestly, that's probably what Valtrex is.

yer welcome.

ps I don't have it, just know about it.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >