Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FescheLola
Msg: 228
view profile
History
Genital HerpesPage 5 of 34    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34)

In a nutshell, no thanks, I know there are alot of people out there who have contracted it accidently and that is a shame but I wouldnt have sex with anyone with it, no way

10 bucks says you already have.....

I belive the rough stats on it are 1 in 7 have it. Maybe more because many who have it dont know. Also many who have it dont tell because they think "No OB no transmission".

Herpes is the gift that keeps giving.
 whothehellknows
Msg: 231
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/8/2008 6:36:24 PM

I would run as fast as I could. Who the heck wants a incurable disease. And if they have herpes, god only knows what other diseases they could have.

Your ignorance on STDs is amazing. This and the HIV comment you posted in another thread really shows how little you know about STDs, risk and what 'type' of people have them.
 FescheLola
Msg: 232
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/8/2008 7:41:23 PM
Right on ilegion...

The thing is its the "See no evil, Hear no Evil, Speak no evil" mentality....No people are getting in the mindset that you can look and tell what someone has...

Herpes is an STD for which there is no cure, hence its stigma.

The AIDS and STD terror of the 80's and 90's has calmed considerable. People arent getting tested, and safe sex is on the decline.

I would run as fast as I could. Who the heck wants a incurable disease. And if they have herpes, god only knows what other diseases they could have.

Yeah, I belive you would "run".

Tell me have you ever been tested for AIDS or other STD's?

Do you use a condom for Oral sex?

Do your partners use dental dams when preforming oral sex on you?

Do you know what STD's are out there and how you get them? i.e. Hepatitis for example? Unlike AIDS it can live for hours on surfaces, and is transmitted via saliva and blood.

Here are some Herpes stats for you. Wise up.

--------------------

-One out of five of the total adolescent and adult population is infected with genital herpes.

-Infection is more common in women (approximately one out of four women) than in men (almost one out of five).

-Male-to-female transmission is more efficient than female-to-male transmission.

-One in five Americans have genital herpes (yet at least 80 percent of those with herpes are unaware they have it).

-About 80 percent of American adults have oral herpes (cold sores).

-An estimated 25 percent of American adults have genital herpes.

Still feel "safe"???
 FescheLola
Msg: 236
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/9/2008 6:50:39 AM

Yes , I use a condom every time.

Good. Do you know how many don't?

And you of course know that Herpes and Hepatitus can still be transmitted with or without a condom...right?

No , I do not give oral sex. I'm not stupid.

Really? Good for you.

However a great majority are "stupid" in your words.

You are a nice person I am sure, but you can be rather blunt and tactless. 2 things are real RN is not...Well a good one.

You were a CNA, right?

Yes, I have been tested for both diseases after my 3 broken relationship

Excellent. However the validity of Herpes testing is hotly debated. Last time I checked there was no carved in stone US test for it. AS a "nurse" you would know that generally the ony time one knows is if a skin sample is taken during an OB. And considering some never notice OB's and a few lucky ones never have it....Well....

I am very herpes,aids,hepatitis phobic.

You know, a Nurse in this day and age would not word it that way. When my mother became a nurse in the early 80's, Many Nurses, and Doctors were "phobic" too....Patients didnt get treatment because of "phobic" people.My mother stopped working in hospitals because of some of that ignorance...Thank god thats changed...People arent "phobic" they know how its transmitted and what the risks are. Well SMART people.

So, you better damn well believe I have been tested after breaking up with a man. 2 ex-husbands and a boyfriend. I do not just sleep with anyone. I am extremely cautious.

As should more people be.

However the only way to be100% safe is to abstain from sex period.

Another thing, I saw your gay man comment....Gay men were indeed at more risk for HIV. Did you know that rate has dropped? and young Straight people now top the charts?
Why? Gay communities educated each other after dealing with ignorance and condemnation...Safe Sex in testing went up among them way before it did with the straight population.
 Reno849
Msg: 237
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/9/2008 8:06:46 AM
Condoms are very ineffective against the spread of genital herpes. The shedding can occur on thighs, buttocks, etc, and those areas are susceptible to receiving the virus, as well.
 Farbman
Msg: 238
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/9/2008 8:40:50 PM
If you get it on your face, it's herpes simplex, but if you get it down "there" it's herpes complex. If you get it both places it's herpes duplex.
 BIGMANME
Msg: 240
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/9/2008 11:19:23 PM
Hell if you know you've got it and its not a problem to yourself - you should just share it around with all the wimen you can. Yeah, the wimen suffer a whole eap moren us men, but then yah got a set that r faithful to yah - cause they cant get laid elsewhere. I reckon spread the joy. In my town Armidale NSW, I've infected at least 10 and I got a good supply now.
 Lovely73
Msg: 242
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/10/2008 2:12:13 PM
Wow, this whole thread makes me shake my head at the amount of ignorance on this topic. With so many people out there infected (many not knowing), how can there be such little public education on it?? Why isn't it on Oprah or 20/20??

Geez, how can it be stated any more simply, people??? Just because someone has been tested or has only had 2 or 3 partners means absolutely nothing!! Standard testing doesn't test for it and most people don't even know they have it so EVERY single person you sleep with is a risk. Now add that cold sores are increasingly being transmitted to genitals through oral sex. As many as 80% of people have the cold sore virus in their system. My friend had 4 partners throughout her life and used condoms almost every time...she now has herpes. Do people not read the info presented here??? C'mon, people, open your eyes!!!
 spitfire6844
Msg: 250
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/20/2008 5:59:27 PM

If so, why would you not date someone with Genital Herpes? Same basic disease...different form.

VERY different form. It's dangerous to compare Herpes 1 with Herpes 2. It's almost like saying that human herpes and simian herpes are the "same basic disease". No one here would ever want to get Simian Herpes B.

Human Herpes Simplex 2 is not deadly, but it manifests VERY differently than Herpes 1. Herpes Simplex 2 attacks the neurological system more aggressively than simplex 1 does, and is not as localized as simplex 1.

Dating someone with Herpes Simplex 2 (unless you already have it) is out of the question.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/20/2008 7:18:42 PM
^^Because getting a cold sore in the corner of your mouth once every few years is a lot easier to manage than having your whole crotch break out with all the discomfort that's involved. There's a world of difference. It's only barely the same disease.
 DemonLeather
Msg: 255
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/20/2008 9:00:44 PM
(SIGH).... it would be MY luck, to come down with the first recorded case of "HERPAIDS"
 spitfire6844
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/21/2008 12:51:50 AM
I respect anyone who's dealing with the condition. It has nothing to do with a person's worth.

But, I can't buy the premise that a guy can be in the "shedding" stage of HSV-2 and not know it--meanwhile getting with a woman and spreading the disease to her. The disease is being spread because people (mostly guys) are being flagrantly careless--period. I can accept the premise that a woman may not know that she has it; but that only tells me that if and when she DOES become aware of her HSV-2, then she must have had some pretty bad outbreaks. Not exactly a risk-free situation for any future guy that comes along.

The PC line is for people to say they'll go ahead and take the risk. (Hey, it's a manageable risk, right?) Can't agree with that. I do have HSV-1 (from when I was a little kid) and I haven't had a cold sore in probably 15 years. Asymptomatic, baby! I'm not about to risk getting HSV-2 and have to deal with that mess for another 20 years before the outbreaks finally lessen in frequency. No way!

The solution is for people to partner up accordingly. If you're seronegative for HSV-2, then you pick partners who are negative. If you're seropositive, then a good match would be with a responsible seropositive partner. That's the best way to go!
 spitfire6844
Msg: 261
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/21/2008 7:11:09 AM

By the way - do you only stick to people who are positive for HSV1, or do you date HSV1 negative people too?

C'mon...let's be real. The risk of passing on asymptomatic, oral HSV-1 to a partner is virtually nil. There's no friction and no blood-containing fluids in kissing. Asymptomatic HSV-1 is NOT spread orally. Also, HSV-1 infection rates are actually declining in North America, while HSV-2 rates are climbing. Why do you think that is? It's because HSV-2 is more contagious.

When you read the info on variants of the Herpes virus family---like Simian Herpes B-- it really wakes you up to the relative seriousness of different strains. Deadly stuff. We just can't be nonchalant about it. If someone is symptomatic (exhibiting symptoms) for ANY herpes virus--heck ya, they should tell their partners. If one is asymptomatic (not exhibiting symptoms) for HSV-2--yeah, you should still tell potential partners.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/21/2008 10:37:19 AM
Let's be clear. There is virtually NO chance of HSV-1 oral-to-oral or oral-to-genital infection occurring from an asymptomatic host. None.

There is a 4% - 8% chance (for each contact) of HSV-2 genital-to-genital infection occurring from either a symptomatic or an asymptomatic host. Significant risk. I would modify my statement to say that if someone has been asymptomatic for genital herpes for a safe number of years (15 - 20), then that risk may be acceptable to some. It's still a risk.

As far as the comparison between Simian HSV-B and Human HSV-1--yes, there are molecular similarities between them. But, that's where it ends. Simian HSV-B has never been caused in any way by Human HSV-1. Either of the dominant human strains makes a person more at risk for SERIOUS complications should that person ever be exposed to Simian Herpes B. Oral HSV-1, because it's much less contagious, presents less of a threat for simultaneous infection with any kindred virus in the Herpes family. The same can't be said for genital herpes.

Simian Herpes B IS an extremely common infection among primates, and there have been numerous human cases all over the world. The human death rate from Simian Herpes Simplex B is 80%. That's 8 out of 10 people dying! We've got to limit the spread of ALL the Herpes viruses so that Simian HSV-B can be more successfully treated when and where it spreads to human beings.

We also know is that genital HSV-2 has a high probability of being passed on to embryos in a pregnant woman. There is little chance of neonatal transmission of oral HSV-1. We've got to play it safe when it comes to genital herpes!
 spitfire6844
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/21/2008 12:36:03 PM

The overall HSV-1 seroprevalence is dropping a few points per decade in the US, as in all industrialized countries.

The above is a quote from the CDC. HSV-1 rates are dropping. HSV-2 rates are the ones which are climbing. LOL at anyone who thinks that oral HSV-1 is a danger to neo-nates. While genital HSV-1 may be dangerous to newborns, Oral HSV-1 is not. It's important that people realize that localized ORAL HSV-1 is the least contagious form of this disease. Period.

I had a recent physical, and my doc said that I've seroconverted and have NO viral load for HSV-1 in the bloodstream. None at all. If there is any HSV-1 left, it would only be in the lymph nodes and perhaps in the spinal cord. No virus in the blood at all. So no, the 80% of North Americans who have asymptomatic, oral HSV-1 are not a significant risk for spreading anything. HSV-2 carriers and, specifcally, HSV-1 and HSV-2 genital sufferers are the risk.

But, you're welcome to post your "facts", sweetnfeisty. I did read the link you put up earlier. And I do have the latest info. on all this.
 isolated1
Msg: 268
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/21/2008 12:59:33 PM
if u know u have it and don't tell someone that is just wrong, not knowing is diff; all the stats in the world don't change that fact
 spitfire6844
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/21/2008 1:01:56 PM
How the heck do you think all those people got genital HSV1 in the first place?

Because someone who was in the active, symptomatic phase gave it to them.

By the way, since you insist on speculating--I generally don't do cunnilingus on women, so NO, I'm not speading oral-to-genital HSV-1 to any women. There was no need for you to speculate about me specifically anyway. And I don't "know" that I have anything, Isolated. I've had sores on the corner of my mouth a couple of times as a kid. I didn't get an official diagnosis from a doc, dude! :laugh:

S0, the point is--when I'm having sex with a girl, I'm not spreading herpes. Period. Never. People who have genital herpes can be spreading the disease. People need to be responsible. Everyone should be with partners who match up with them as far as genital herpes goes. That's the key to all this.
 OOhMeeOhhMy
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/21/2008 9:59:03 PM
wow... ignorance at its finest in this thread.... funny how people are punished for honesty... there are so many people who have it... and just assume because they don't have an outbreak... that they don't have anything... most people with herpes are asymptomatic.. herpes isn't part of standardized STD testing... neither is HPV or HIV... so make sure you ask to be tested for them... and make sure you ask for a blood test... swabs don't do shit if you don't have a sore... and a swab is only good if it is done with in 48 hours of the sore being present....

http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn.cfm

* Herpes simplex virus can cause symptoms on the mouth (oral herpes) or genitals (genital herpes).

* About 50 to 80 percent of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly called cold sores or fever blisters.

* About one in five adults in the United States has genital herpes. However, most people don’t know they are infected because their symptoms are too mild to notice or mistaken for another condition.

* Herpes is most easily spread from genital-to-genital or oral-to-genital contact during an active outbreak or during prodrome -- the few days just before an outbreak.

* Oral and genital herpes can be uncomfortable, but they are generally not dangerous infections in healthy adults.

* Herpes does not affect the immune system. It is rare for adults to have any health problems from genital herpes.

* However, having genital herpes makes it easier to acquire and/or transmit HIV, a virus that can cause AIDS.

* There are several days throughout the year when herpes can be spread even when no symptoms are present (called asymptomatic reactivation or asymptomatic shedding).

* The surest way to prevent the spread of genital herpes is to avoid sexual contact during an active outbreak and to use condoms for sexual contact between outbreaks. Suppressive (daily) antiviral therapy with valacyclovir has also been proven to reduce the risk of transmission to a partner.

* Most couples decide together how to reduce the risk.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 275
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/22/2008 9:06:46 AM

HSV 1 can convert to HSV2.

midnightchatter--No, it can't. What you meant to say is that both the HSV-1 and HSV-2 viruses can manifest orally or genitally. HSV-1 doesn't "convert" to HSV-2 or vice-versa. Ridiculous.

Willprevale is absolutely right. Good post.
 anyoneoutthier
Msg: 280
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/24/2008 7:46:07 AM
Life is just like russian roulet so why put one more bullit in the gun.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 282
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/24/2008 8:21:49 AM

Simplex 1 and 2 are really now the same thing.

Damn it, superduper: they are NOT the same thing. Look, I understand that you want people to be "sensitive" or whatever on this issue. We can all appreciate those who are dealing with genital herpes. There have been posters who have the courage to come on here and talk about their challenges. It's awesome that they are able to do that. I started off my first post by giving respect for people who have it. No one is questioning that.

But, let's be clear: the HSV-1 and HSV-2 viruses are NOT the same thing. They are related viruses; but they only share about 50% of their DNA. As a matter of fact, there is more similarity between HSV-1 and Simian HSV-B than there is between HSV-1 and HSV-2. Obviously, the fact that Simian HSV-B is so similar to HSV-1 should be of no comfort to anyone! (Simian Herpes B is almost universally fatal!) All of the viruses in the Herpes virus family are similar, but they can have very different manifestations in the human body.

What's alarming on the thread is people taking a fatalistic approach toward STDs (oh well, we're probably all going to get them anyway--don't worry about it). Ridiculous. The old measures for being careful should still apply. You don't want to get this shít. Period. That message should be as strong as the message of compassion for the sufferers. We want the best for everyone, no matter what their condition is.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 284
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/24/2008 9:33:15 AM
Sweetnfeisty, I had read the article before, and I read it AGAIN after you just posted it. It's a good article, and it definitely highlights the differences between HSV-1 and HSV-2. They are similar viruses with noticeably different manifestations. They are NOT identical.

The inescapable fact is that HSV-1 is usually spread through contact with infected lips, while HSV-2 usually spread through contact with infected genitals.

Only about one quarter of people with genital HSV- 1 shed virus at all in the absence of symptoms, while 55% of people with HSV-2 do

HSV-1 and HSV-2 do tend to manifest VERY differently. Period.

Something to consider: Syphilis was thought centuries ago to be a relatively harmless disease. People thought that after the 1st stage (the chancre) that syphilis went into remission and you were over it. We've only discovered since the 19th century that syphilis only lies dormant and then re-manifests symptoms in a more severe 2nd and 3rd stage. Luckily, syphilis is caused by a bacterium and can be cured if caught early.

The point of the above statement is that virology is a tricky science. We're still learning about the Herpes virus family, just like we're still learning about all other recognized viruses. Who knows what we'll find out about herpes in the future? Who knows whether some of the herpes viruses will mutate into deadly strains such as Simian HSV-B already is? We should NEVER be nonchalant about an STD--whether it's HSV-2 or anything else. We're not talking about a bacterial disease which can be cured. As with all virus-caused diseases, herpes can't be cured--it can only be localized (hopefully) to spinal cord and lymph glands where it stays dormant.

No one is attacking anyone. People just need to have great hygiene; regular physicals; and need to use discretion when picking sex partners. It's not too much to ask. We're all equally responsible for preventing the spread of these diseases. The spread of oral HSV-1 can't be curbed in modern society; but the spread of the other viruses in the Herpes family can be curbed. We must be responsible for that.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 286
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/24/2008 11:21:59 AM
Jeanie:

In the 1950's, scientists isolated a group of viruses called Human T-cell Lymphotrophic viruses. These viruses caused mild symptoms in a group of patients studied in Japan and Africa. It was thought that the HTLV viruses didn't cause "terminal illness or anything". No big deal, right? Then, in the early 1980's, it was discovered that one of these HTLV viruses (called HTLV-3) had developed the ability to replicate far quicker than the other HTLV viruses. HTLV-3 was causing a cluster of symptoms in patients which, over time, responded less well to viral medications. People started dying from the disease or "syndrome" caused by HTLV-3. One of the more famous early victims was Rock Hudson, and in time, HTLV-3 was renamed HIV! The "syndrome" was eventually named AIDS.

The point is that, when this family of viruses (HTLV) was first discovered, the research at that time didn't indicate that they caused life-threatening illnesses. Now, other HTLV viruses are suspected of being much more dangerous than was initially thought. The activity of viruses over time is unpredictable, and care should be taken with any viral illness.

So far, the herpes virus family is not thought to be lethal (with the exception of Simian HSV-B), but who knows what science will uncover about it in the next few decades. There are at least 9 different, recognized herpes viruses. Any or all of these viruses could mutate from a manageable strain to a lethal one. Hopefully, that doesn't happen; but we can't be nonchalant about it.

Just be careful: that's all.
 fancynanci
Msg: 288
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/24/2008 1:18:15 PM
I would run away and FAST. I don't want Herpes or any other disease.
 spitfire6844
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Genital Herpes
Posted: 1/24/2008 2:45:49 PM
Are all cold sores herpes in the mouth?

No. HSV-1 is probably the most common reason that people get "cold sores", but there are other causes (usually fungi like candida, or parasites) That's what I was trying to tell sweetnfeisty: most likely, if one can remember having cold sores more than once--one probably has HSV-1; but it's not definite if you haven't been diagnosed with it.

IgG screening was mentioned. Yeah, I've had that testing in connection with allergies, and wasn't told that it was positive for HSV-1.

Oral HSV-1 is pandemic. That means that virtually everyone (>80%) has it. There's no point in taking precautionary measures to avoid spreading it beyond having good hygiene and avoiding contact with others when you're symptomatic. That's enough for HSV-1. Genital herpes is an epidemic (10 - 20%), but not pandemic. There's still a chance to limit the spread of genital herpes, which is what we must do.

Someone asked why I was so interested in this. I dated a girl a long time ago who was good enough to be truthful about it before we had had sex. Do I question my decision not to have sex with her? You bet. She was beautiful. Do I think I did the right thing? Yeah. You do not want to be a dude with genital herpes. The only thing more painful for a dude is circumcision. (It's too late to avoid circumcision ) But, hives all over your****and excruciating pain are not worth taking a chance with genital herpes.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >