Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Artists are weird      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tmbmx
Msg: 13
Artists are weirdPage 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
and most dont care what other people think because they are who they are!!!

If you dont like me they bye. Yes i am differant but that is not a bad thing. It does scare some people at work though.
 Pandy
Msg: 14
Artists are weird
Posted: 9/25/2005 10:44:22 PM
I'm not overdramatic OR overly emotional , but I do get caught up in the aesthetic appeal of things to the detriment of reality... as a child I could never look where I was going. As an adult, I drive around with my drink/purse/shopping bag on top of my car, lose my keys three times a day, and never remember to buy light bulbs or toothpaste when I need them rather badly.

I'm hopelessly scattered because I only have room for one thing in my brain at one time.
I can reason through nearly anything if I apply my full intellect (made 1568 on my SATs) but I'm so easily distracted that it goes beyond funny.

Yes, I am weird. I own it, I accept it.
 ~softEDGE~
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Artists are weird
Posted: 10/1/2005 2:31:25 PM
huh? there has to be a point?
or just an exchange?
 wonkavision
Msg: 16
Artists are weird
Posted: 10/1/2005 2:45:57 PM
Being that art is the unique self-expression of a human being shaped by skill and knowledge in one's medium, wouldn't weird kind of be a requirement? Who wants to see the self-expression of a banal average joe? To be art, a work should be novel and fresh, otherwise it is just craft, so someone who sees the world a little askew is far more likely to produce art, wouldn't you say?
 wonkavision
Msg: 17
Artists are weird
Posted: 10/1/2005 2:59:20 PM
Art is a sublime form of commnication, very true. It is a method by which passionate and profound people can speak to history whether with words, brush strokes, musical tones, film, or dance steps.
 wonkavision
Msg: 18
Artists are weird
Posted: 10/1/2005 3:19:47 PM
I prefer movements to organizations. You know like the Algonquin rond table or the beat generation. Organizations inevitably slide into beaurocracy and corruption, but a group of artists meeting to lambast the world and share ideas over a beer is somehow purer.
 wonkavision
Msg: 19
Artists are weird
Posted: 10/1/2005 11:28:41 PM
I believe you may have a point there. Many things are eventually hijacked by dogma, since the majority of the population cogitates dogmatically, it stands to reason.
 GentleHand
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Artists are weird
Posted: 10/2/2005 12:04:50 AM
I endeavor photography, painting, sculpting etc, etc...etc.etc...

yes artists are totally, beautifully, fantastically, deliciously, tragically , painfully wonderfully, inordinately, insanely and perfectly weird.

too true.

Not only are you a Visual artist, you write well also.

Strange artist happenings:

1. Walking thru boston gardens, looking up, sun gleaming through clouds, looking for best shot, getting vertigo, snapping photo, passing out... heh

2. Trying to explain art to someone verbally, beating my head against wall, and calling it art.

3. Disappearing for 4 days, forgetting time, not calling my job, and come too after being awake 72 hours straight, covered in oil and reaking of mineral spirits, and my family is at the door wondering if I'm alive. Then sleep for 2 days straight.

4. Paint for the weekend straight, and go back to work with stubborn oil all over my hands, face, in my hair, and my eyes still wild from a night of bring ideas to life.

5. Sitting in a group of people, good people, and not relating whatsoever because they think like bankers, and businessmen, not an artist. Wanting to whip out my game boy, and play old school castlevania.

much much more.

/me pulls paintbrush from in between teeth.

To satisfy family, my shrink say's im normal.

until I tell her about an idea about new subject matter.
 GentleHand
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Artists are weird
Posted: 10/3/2005 5:52:43 AM
this thread made me make the "online portfolio's" thread...

so far, with all these artists, I'm the only one willing to show some online work..

confusing, I'm PROUD of my art.

http://gentleartknoxville.tripod.com
 wonkavision
Msg: 22
Artists are weird
Posted: 10/8/2005 1:07:48 PM
"because if you are not creating something ....
you are just sitting and watching....
the world was not created by watchers"

Very nice. I have to object a little though to the attack on jocks. Although sports for the most part don't interest me, I am athletic. I bodybuild, hike, work out on heavy and speed bags, but I am also very artistic. I draw, play guitar, write and act. There is no reason you can't be both. In fact it reminds me a little of the misconception that science and art are mutually exclusive. In fact they share many similarities. Great scientists, like great artists, are by necessity highly creative, and great artists, like great scientists are very rigorous. There is also relavent overlap to athleticism, so don't dismiss all jocks out of hand. Generally speaking though, I must make the concession, your assessment seems to be the case.
 :
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Artists are weird
Posted: 11/26/2005 8:43:46 PM
Weird = interesting.

So much in this world just bores me to tears. Sometimes I pray for someone to say something inspired or original, I just pray that something interesting will happen; or that someone communicates a new and interesting idea, whether the medium be art, words, or some other sensation.

I love art.
 Polly_G
Msg: 24
Artists are weird
Posted: 11/26/2005 9:20:28 PM
I agree...weird = interesting.

I think I'm too intense for most people though. It's a lonely life being "special" hehe.
 :
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Artists are weird
Posted: 12/7/2005 12:54:53 AM
I am not an artist, though I am weird (my connection to this thread), how weird do you have to be before any action you take in interacting with others becomes performance art?
 Polly_G
Msg: 26
Artists are weird
Posted: 12/7/2005 9:52:07 PM
Weird and wonderful!!!

Yes, I lose my car keys 5 times a day, my wallet at least twice. I bump into things a lot. I have a short attention span so have to learn things fast but sit me down sketching or painting and I only move for pee breaks.

I would never break wind in a public washroom because someone might recognize my shoes. Oh sorry guys, I forgot girls don't do that.

Maybe just a teeny weeny bit intense. Give me monotony and give me death

Very few people actually understand me
 Active Imagination
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Artists are weird
Posted: 12/16/2005 6:37:27 PM
I wish I had the time to read all the responses to this post because I think it's a very important topic. I personally don't think that artists are wierd enough, at least not anymore. We've started getting used to recognizing pre-packaged styles and personalities as wierd and have taken a blind comfort in promoting them. We live in a time that is not condusive to the traditional role of artistic rebellion. For art to truly benefit from the perception of being weird, it has to be eaten up and disseminated in a familiar media environment that people aren't threatened or intimidated by. To actually be weird means that an artist is probably committing her/himself to obscurity, and ultimately insignificance. It's the double-edged sword that faces all creative minds with a sense of integrity - balancing an authentic and truly controversial message with the means of being able to disseminate it in a broad enough environment where it can can have an effect. Weird is only as important as the scope of its ability to corrupt!
 carrotwax
Msg: 29
Artists are weird
Posted: 12/18/2005 6:46:29 PM
I have a good energetic/intuitive sense, so this is more focused in that area.

Anyone can make art, but there are people who seem to be "wired" specifically for creativity - that is, creating something new and bringing it to the world. They seem to have more "channels" of input going on. Like bringing in something from another world on one channel, then there's some for the emotional resonance of the creation, something on the backburner, etc. There's often a feeling of being "spacey" sometimes for them, but it is so integral to the process of creation, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Mind you, I don't really separate someone bringing in something new to paintings or music to something like a relationship or even in a corporation. It's all related.

Flaky enough for you all? ;-)
 Polly_G
Msg: 30
Artists are weird
Posted: 12/21/2005 10:20:07 PM
I do font guessing too kurisub.

I've done some graphic and webpage design so I'm always conscious because of the work I've put into my own stuff. I am pretty amazed at some of the graphic design that goes into advertising. Where do they come up with all the stuff!!
 :
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Artists are weird
Posted: 12/23/2005 10:34:52 PM
This is true; most artists I have known were big dramatic sacks of tears waiting to explode at the slightest indication of something true or beautiful.

What is the difference between weird and interesting?

Where is the ordinary factor?

The boring factor?
 toonsmith
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Artists are weird
Posted: 4/8/2006 8:19:19 PM
I feel perfectly normal. It's the world that's weird.

Toon
 toonsmith
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Artists are weird
Posted: 4/9/2006 8:15:30 PM
Good luck with you as well, my friend.

Artists aren't weird, they're just naturally drawn to self expression.

Toon
 Thatguy67
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Artists are weird
Posted: 12/5/2008 12:55:56 PM
I met Bjork back in 1993. She was pleasant enough but did come across as a little odd.
I dunno if her personality was molded from her being the artistic type or that she would have had that disposition if she was in another line of work.

Wire Man
Msg: 36
Artists are weird
Posted: 12/6/2008 11:53:27 PM
People usually tell me I'm one of the weirdest people they know, but they love it because there's never a dull moment around me. I'm always stopping on the side of the road to take pictures, chasing lizards and snakes in my yard to look at the patterns and colors in their skin, picking up random pieces of metal to use in sculptures (I found the front axle of a tractor and carried it home over my shoulders), and doing things out of the blue constantly. I like being weird though. Apparently I'm never the same from day to day either.
 :
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Artists are weird
Posted: 7/20/2009 12:59:56 AM
Or are the Weird just hard wired to be Artists?
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Artists are weird