Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shaftguy
Msg: 414
Can men and women be friends without sex?Page 16 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
That can be very hard because opposite attract and there are alot sexual vibes nad chemistry as friends which can lead to lovers
 touchmeimsick
Msg: 415
Can men and women be friends without sex?
Posted: 7/17/2006 9:06:25 PM
Men and women can DEFINITELY be friends without sex.

I have a lot of gay male friends.

But yeah... Even straight males can be freinds with straight females with no sex involved.
 Kiruban
Msg: 416
Posted: 7/19/2006 5:05:22 AM
The Answere if you ask me personally is simply YES!!!. Its just like sitting beside a hot steamy girl in your Classroom when you were in your High School. Just like many ppl hve mentioned, its how you interract with each given situation. Sometimes, a lifemate is found via a good friendship. You just have to have a good strong heart, hope, and tons of patience.

Its also depends on what the girl thinks and behaves like. I have a girl whom I have been in contact with for 6yrs and we are very good friends. We just don't ignore each other in any occasions. Hmmm, so yes....A GIRL AND A BOY/MEN AND WOMEN/OLD LADY AND OLD MAN/ can be FRIENDS!!!!!

If you refuse to accept this as a fact, then you must be calling yourself and occasional drinker/Alcoholic and drink coca cola/pepsi instead of "Beer,Rum,Vodka,Champagne,Wine and blah blah blah blah blah!!!! just like every other COOL DOODS!! hehe
 bertram
Msg: 417
Posted: 7/19/2006 6:15:21 AM
no they cant.females believe anything.males e z going.female retarded baby makers.no sex no listen.
 Crabby_Old_Spinster
Msg: 418
Posted: 7/19/2006 7:31:12 AM
It takes two to tangle.... I have many male friends that I don't have sex with. I guess the person unable to have platonic relationships with the opposite sex might not trust one who can. It's an insecurity. You have to look at your life and see where you have a friendships with men you don't intend to sleep with to understand. Sometimes a cup of coffee is just a cup of coffee. I would believe there is no sex with your boyfriend cause he goes out not with one woman but as you say 2 to 6 there is safety in numbers.
 marcym1
Msg: 419
Posted: 7/19/2006 7:49:42 AM
All my friends are male as I grew up with males..I have even been told by my friends I have a special position amongst men,i fit none of the catagories,that they talk about when talking of women..I am not a tease,a cold fish an easy women,or sneaky...Don't get me wrong i love being a women,but being raised around guys and hanging out with women the things i have observed,the differences between male friends and women..I trust men much more to keep a secret,not stab me in the back or talk about me..And would never ruin a friendship by sleeping with them...I have a couple female friends,but none I do things with because they are busy or too far away...However i do not look at them like that..Just a person trapped in a males body..
 julietjuliet
Msg: 420
Posted: 7/19/2006 8:05:46 AM
Definately! My best friend of 6 years and i have never become emotionally or physically involved in any way shape or form. We can talk about anything and flirt our a***s off, but it stops at that. So yer it is possible to be platonic friends.
 messmore3
Msg: 421
Posted: 7/22/2006 5:22:38 AM
I agree with this statement, to add to it though here are some points too. For example yes a man and woman can be friends without sex. That's kinda funny, should'nt the question be "Can a man and a women be friends?" The sex part happens whether people are friends or not and are in a relationship or not alot of times. So this is a silly question. Also, if a man and woman become friends and someone likes the other person more than friends... I believe that it was always the case and the person just wasn't brave enough to mention it and later does and the opposite can't break the rules or just simply never had an interest. To save the person's feelings from being hurt both parties usually tend to brush it off lightly but sometimes that doesn't work in some friendships either.

I am just thinking that sex itself isn't a determining factor in any friendships of the opposite sex since some people abuse it and some just ... well you know the rest. It's really hard for me to explain what i mean about this. I think a man and woman can be friends, and then I think that it's hard for a man to be a friend to a woman at the same time unless he grew up with her. I think most men chose their female friends carefully if they never met them before, most of us won't be friends with someone we can not be particularly partners with. You never know the intentions of anyone who says they want to be "just friends" for example on this site alone, how many of us are looking for "just friends" on here? If that were the case, guys would email guys right? I don't.

I hope I don't sound crazy but I should be hitting something here.
 Genuinebeauty1964
Msg: 422
Posted: 7/23/2006 1:06:01 AM
Yes I think you can be just freinds...I have a very good guy friend..we do hang out quite abit...known him a few years he is actually on the site.
He knows me really well probably better than most of my freinds...
We have not done anything sexual..Its called respecting each other. I consider him a very very good friend. He is a total sweetheart of a man and will someday make a woman very happy.
We do date others...no big deal and we know where to draw the line. When your freinds..you want to see them happy bottom line.
He is a totally hottie,but very very down to earth...Good freindships are very hard to find...If a woman asked me about him..I could say yes he is worthy go for him.
 msmudd2255
Msg: 423
Posted: 7/23/2006 8:10:19 AM
God yes. the best friends in my life are those women I chose not to sleep with. We are still around and the relationships get stronger.
 ctrydancer
Msg: 424
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2006 10:23:39 PM
chef...you have a bond and an intimate friend. It's about compassion and communication. I expect such a friend to feel they can talk openly and have a safe haven if need be. By saying it hurts you to see her with other guys I am seeing you say you are not a couple but wished you were.

I want to have men AND women that are friends without sex. I miss all my friends up North and want to make new friendships down here. North Carolina is pretty lonely with all my family not around. SO....if you want to go to the movies, the mall, out to eat, out dancing, the concerts, out and about discovering and spelunking yell.

I can keep up with you all youngens
 babyfacedrey
Msg: 425
Posted: 7/24/2006 11:26:54 PM
I believe it is healthy to have friends of the opposite sex. How else do you learn to have a close mental intimacy with the opposite sex? Two of my best friends are male and we have supported eachother through relationships, life issues, and always have the bonus of the opinion of the different sex. I think where people get messed up is when they cover up sexual intentions with friendship and that happens often. Is your ex going out with these woman for an ego boost or are they long term friends? There can be alot of variables to this. I just know for me it is possible.
 dave1234
Msg: 426
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2006 4:03:59 AM

(Msg 584) I have been friends with a girl for a number of years and we've had sex numerous times.
Naturally I developed strong feelings for her though she had none for me. At times I wish that we'd never been intimate as I"m hurting now.We both agree that we'd never be a couple
but it hurts to see her with other guys and I'm sorry this ia now straining our friendship.

I'm sure she had feelings for you. They just were not as strong as yours for her.

Let's face it. She must have felt safe with you. She must have felt you were a nice person so isn't that what friendships are all about?

We all have friends of different closeness. Some friends will do a lot for us and some friends are, well, not so generous. She gave you all she had to give. That is a friend. She can't help it if the romantic feelings were not there. At least she gave herself to you and tried it. That's more than a lot of friends will do. A hell of a lot more.

Hold on to her.
 julietjuliet
Msg: 427
Posted: 7/25/2006 5:21:07 AM
yes they can just be friends. I have a best friend of 5 years, male and single, and we are just that FRIENDS.
 Tango57
Msg: 428
Posted: 7/25/2006 5:49:10 AM
Most of my friends are men. Some of them are ex-boyfriend's whom I'm still friends with and the relationship will never get sexual again - strictly platonic. Most of my men friends are just friends - the relationship was never sexual - we were simply only friends. Yes, there have been some brief moments in the platonic only relationships where there might have been an attraction but it was never acted upon or discussed - it was just something that was felt.

I have never betrayed or cheated on anyone I was dating or involved with. If someone I'm dating makes it past a certain time and we are having a more serious relationship - they get to meet my male friends.

Finally, it is totally possible for men/women to be friends without having sex. There are some men that can't do it - some women that can't do it - I think they fall into the minority or they are simply not open-minded - perhaps they don't trust themselves. Like I said - I'm loyal and I'm very honorable in that regard!

Tango57
 Genuinebeauty1964
Msg: 429
Posted: 7/27/2006 7:37:22 AM
Well I can't wait for my friend to get back from portugal...lol He was right its a long 5 weeks without him here.....Best hang out freind I ever had.
 treemanbdj
Msg: 430
Posted: 8/2/2006 11:05:55 AM
Sure they can, as long as they are adults..

BDJ
 mr.single
Msg: 431
Posted: 8/2/2006 1:09:40 PM
i think it depends on your teenage days. were you a man who got a lot of sex from different women? pretty women? all types of women? if so, its very hard for you to just maintain a platonic friendship with a women you vision sexually. Am I'm talking about myself? just wondering if other men feel this way I do.....
 noel66
Msg: 432
Posted: 8/2/2006 5:06:23 PM
Absolutely!!! The truest friend I have ever had is a female I have met on this site. Friends are all we could be due to extenuating circumstances. But it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Had sex ever entered the picture, I would never have the friendship that I now count as one of the greatest treasures in my life. If either of us is able to enter into a long term relationship, we will both be totally supportive of each other, and we will remain lifelong friends.
 ohhhhhhh
Msg: 433
Posted: 8/2/2006 7:57:27 PM
It does depend on the person. Myself....I have way more guy friends then girl friends...and no I do not sleep with them! I actually live with one of my best guy friends and notta has ever happpened! Honestly if someone is going to cheat on you they are going to do it. By you telling them who they can't hang with just isn't cool. Guys and girls come and go your friends stay forever!
 ASD_79
Msg: 434
Posted: 8/2/2006 10:07:23 PM
I have a female friend that is cheating on her husband (not with me btw) when she started this I was very upset with her not because of her husband who's a jerk but mostly for her kids sake.
 orrn007
Msg: 435
Posted: 8/3/2006 4:47:49 PM
I think it might be possible. I also think it depends on where you are from. What I mean is small towns areas have different views than your more populated areas. Also how you were raised. I am from a small town area, if I am seen with a man it is assumed that we are sleeping together. I do have several male friends that we once were in a relationship and yes we slept together. But it wasn't fulfilling enough for me I guess it wasn't right. My best friend now is a male. We have known one another for around 10 months now. We think alot of one another and help each other out alot mentally and physically. We have recently slept together once in these 10 months. He tells me that he doesn't see me any other way than friends, and he doesn't know why I see him as a possibly relationship down the line. He keeps saying, " what do you see in me I have nothing to offer you, you can do better." Strange thing, last night he told me he called up another female to see if she wanted to hang out sometime because you can never have to many friends. He saw the look in my face that it bother me but I didn't say anything. An hour or so later he asked me have I felt about it and that we needed to talk about it. I told him it was not my place to say anything, ( hey I am on plentyoffish) know what I mean? He also let on to me later without knowing, He stated, "well aren't you dating ________ you know that dig shot PA?" When if fact I am not he is in my past, who calls me at times. It became clear to me what he was doing. He seem to be very interested in how I felt about us without asking. Saying "we need to talk about this." when infact there is nothing to say because he maintains we are just friends. You know " I am really OK with that". That statement really seem to really bother him. Sorry I know I went way off track. Just needed to get it out. Am I really way off base in thinking that he wants his cake and eat it to. Or even that he cares way more about me than he wants me to know.
 chameleontat
Msg: 436
Posted: 8/3/2006 5:24:04 PM
Of coarse they can. I have many close female friends and I do not and would not sleep with any of them. It is a sad thing that someone should even question this, people are so much more than just objects of sexual desire.
 mtb gurl
Msg: 437
Posted: 8/5/2006 7:55:46 PM
I agree totally with Tyric it is a "trust" issue and I also agree that you shouldn't put yourself in certain situations because after all "we are all human". I have a few guy friends but when I'm in a serious relationship I'm a little more careful about the time I spend with them and I bring my partner with me a lot of the times too, so that they are comfortable with the situation.

But it really all does boil down to communication and values and wanting the same things out of life! Not everyone does want the same thing....some people want to "share" everything with everyone!!
 workerbee68
Msg: 438
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2006 8:35:48 PM
I was just talking to someone from this site about the same subject. She can't believe that I have close female friends. Most even know that I am getting a divorce and they still have not made any moves on me. Could be that they truly value our friendship.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >