Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can men and women be friends without sex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 niterider4343
Msg: 476
Can men and women be friends without sex?Page 20 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
I have female friends its strictly platonic,anyone can have friends of the opposite sex.now as your boyfriend theres nothing wrong with him havin friends but do you know these females? also in any relationship there has to be trust!and I know it can be hard especially for the fact hes got alot of females as friends...but it is a fact men and females can be friends without sex.I have metalot of women that have known more guys than women.so i hope that answered your question
 vonnegite
Msg: 477
Can men and women be friends without sex?
Posted: 9/5/2006 6:11:56 AM
definately
most of my close friends have been men - and i end up nearly losing them when they date jealous women - who do not want them to have female friends...
also have dated men who could not deal with the fact my friends are male...
 Carnation66
Msg: 478
Posted: 9/6/2006 8:00:35 AM
I AM FROM THE OLD SCHOOL. WHERE I COME THAT IS NO NO. I AM TALKING ABOUT MEXICO
 wsrfr33
Msg: 479
Posted: 9/6/2006 9:58:21 AM
I think the opposite question should be asked: Can men and women be friends AFTER having sex.

I had a female friend in her 50's who I discussed this with. I said that I thought she and I could be friends even after sex. She strongly disagreed and wouldn't even discuss it with me. She said "having sex changes everything". I shrugged my shoulders and didn't say a word, so I dropped the idea. If I gave her a hug, and I touched her bra strap, she would recoil and said "you aren't allowed there". So I said "fine...it was an accident anyway".

I did the same thing, though accidentally at a nice dinner that *I* was paying for and she reacted the same way.

I don't know...maybe she did really believe that ...and maybe she just wasn't attracted to me. Doesn't really make any difference anyway, but we are no longer friends, but not just because of that.
 strangebloom
Msg: 480
Posted: 9/6/2006 10:16:55 AM
Its actully a good question... but my first instinct was to say no... and that we should all start having sex. :P

Ahem. Back to the question... yes men and women become platonic friends all the time. :)
 strangebloom
Msg: 481
Posted: 9/6/2006 10:18:01 AM
wsrfr,

Good question too. Its worthy of its own thread I think since it is a different topic.
 bb_121
Msg: 482
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2006 10:24:46 AM
Sure....it happens all the time. I guess as long as there both happy with there boyfriend/girlfriend. Then on the other hand, there's always the friend who's secret is that they would like to hook up with there 'friend'.
 Melcontent
Msg: 483
Posted: 9/7/2006 6:20:14 PM
Sure they can! I have guy friends, and it's one of my main stipulations that we never have sex.
This works best when you are not physically/emotionally attracted to them. Case example:
My friend Rick is a total sweetheart...to a fault. He always come off too eager to please, not just with girls either. He makes loads of people uncomfortable. Me, I have lotsa patience and I know he's a great guy, but not THE guy. We play sports and go out for wings together, then go off on our separate dates.
 cabman86
Msg: 484
Posted: 9/7/2006 6:39:24 PM
i have a lot o flady friends that i dont have sex with. many of them are very beautiful.

we hug and kiss each other in greeting and saying goodbye but never even think about sex with each other. it would ruin the friendship.

so yes men and women can be friends with each other without having sex. on the other hand, why does your boyfriend go out with these women without taking you with him? that is another question.
 funnygirll
Msg: 485
Posted: 9/7/2006 7:16:28 PM
I have to see proof first.... I know a lot of guy-girl friends who at some point slept together but figured out that they made much better friends than lovers.

I personally don't know.... been under a rock most of my life and am only recently learning about FB from this website... yes, PoF is corrupting my innocent mind....
 Little Red32
Msg: 486
Posted: 9/8/2006 2:05:47 PM
Thats a good question and On some level we all hope that we can go back to being friends when you break up but after you have had sex with that person it's always in the back of your mind so no After sex they can't be freinds. It never works out that way. Unless you never had it with that person and don't want to.
 sassytexan77
Msg: 487
Posted: 9/9/2006 9:26:04 PM
I think that men and women can be friends without sex. I have quite a number of male friends, and while some have admitted to wanting to hookup they know I don't feel the same. To them, losing a great friend isn't worth that risk knowing I love them like a brother. Granted there are a few I'd enjoy hooking up with myself, but I'm very much in love with my boyfriend and wouldn't do anything like that and screw up the relationship he and I have. He knows my friends are almost all men, and he trusts me to got out with them and not to cheat on him. He even trusts me to go out with my best friend alone, when all my best friend does is talk about sex in front of my boyfriend...but thankfully my boyfriend has already figured out my best friends personality, and knows that he's just seeing how serioushe is about me and the relationship we have together.
I trust my boyfriend and he trusts me, and that's what it comes down to. Even if you a person tends to be the jealous type, it still comes down to trust. Trust and respect, if you don't trust or respect your partner then you should remain friends and not date.
 lahunt
Msg: 488
Posted: 9/10/2006 2:21:04 PM
That has to be heavily considered.I'd been friends with this guy for twelve years, during which
he'd vanish for a couple of years, and then call me out of the blue like nothing was the matter, for f***'s sake!I dumped his sorry ass two weeks ago, by the way!
I had a seriously BAD crush on this guy, and if he wanted sex, I'd have said"Name the time and place!I'll bring the condoms!"
To tell how and where I'd met him would take too long!He never reciprocated my feelings of love. We were just"good friends".That still never let the feelings I had for him, die.
Sometimes, sex CAN ruin a good friendship.Other times, the "friend's" behavior may be what
destroys the relationship!
The REALLY hard part was, I DID love him! Not anymore! Those feelings are gone.
Now, it's time for me to move on!
 2pathscrossing
Msg: 489
Posted: 9/14/2006 9:54:47 PM
Yes, this I know for a fact. I don't know how long this is possible but I know that some hard feelings can exist in this type of relationship. Not everyone's motives are the same.
 mortalez
Msg: 490
Posted: 9/17/2006 3:01:59 PM
yes its possible just not probible.
all my female friends except one i have slept with atleast ounce, usually there was booze involved(I dont drink much now lol), or a break-up inwhich a shoulder to cry on led to a bed to lay on.

In all of those times I dont believe the sex was planned on either of our parts it was just the right timing.
Thats why to this day I avoid women with male friends because all it takes is for us to get in a fight(and all couples will at one point) and her friend that smiles in your face will be on my girl.

And if you dont believe me ask yourself if there was ever a boyfriend/girlfriend that started of as just a friend for months or even years and grew to be more?
 _Dude_
Msg: 491
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2006 3:30:10 PM
Well I say "YES" .. I do it all the time. Some girls [women] are just cool to hang around with but I don't feel sexually attracted to them. I have found that being honest is the best way to go though.

I have had "sex friendships" and I don't like em at all. Everyone agrees and at some point down the road someone seems to get hurt somehow.

All-in-all though, yes I say you can be friends with a women and keep it as just a friendship.
 Liana41
Msg: 492
Posted: 9/17/2006 3:43:02 PM
Without a doubt they can!! Some of my best friends have been male and they bring something different to a friendship that sometimes women can't .... in terms of giving their standpoint on issues from a MALE point of view! Not only that, but if I want to challenge myself physically and go do some activity that requires more than a bit of athleticism, I think it is great to have a male friend who might also be highly athletic and make my feminine side whine a bit but yet have me become pissed off enough to keep up with the challenge. Men make great friends and I respect them for reaching a comfortable level where they can appreciate my feminine side and not cringe like an immature school boy if I want to talk about things that women should only discuss (not).
 Orange Juice Blues
Msg: 493
Posted: 9/17/2006 8:22:20 PM
Can men and women be friends with sex?
 Uncle_Enrico
Msg: 494
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2006 10:10:37 PM
Women make great friends for men! And vice versa! Romance is optional.

Men make great friends, too, for sports, physical activities, etc. But if you really want to talk, email, share...women are terrific.

Now if I could just put physical activity together with the right woman plus talk and romance. I'd be most happy.
 queenrhiannon
Msg: 495
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2006 10:33:10 PM
676 you cannot seriously think that way - I don't know if you said that to get attention or what - but if you are serious - its people like you that is wrong with the world...
everything is about sex, women are just objects and property - grow up.
I have male friends that I have been friends with for 15 years. No they are not ugly or desperate - some of them happen to be famous musicians. They live in the sex comes easy world. Thats why when they get a good friend, they hang onto them. They have respect for me - and I for them - RESPECT. What happend tomorrow if you were in an accident - and couldn't function anymore? Would you just have male friends? Those females that you supposedly are boinking that you call your friends, would you just dump them out of your circle?
 forty-six and 2
Msg: 496
Posted: 9/17/2006 10:38:02 PM
I am a living example that men and women can be friends without sex!
 teacup_98_98
Msg: 497
Posted: 9/19/2006 6:04:49 AM
men and woman can be friends with out sex, and if your partner is going out with woman well do u trust him? Cause trust is a big part, If there is no trust then hes not the man for you, my husband passed away 2 years ago and he had many woman friends and i was fine with it and he was fine with me having men friends, but there has to be trust.
 tj7
Msg: 498
Posted: 9/19/2006 6:23:44 AM
YES men and women can be friends without sex..............I've proved it for years.

Throughout my years, I've had more male friends than female and did not have sex with them. I get along with them better - I would rather talk about sports and cars and guy-stuff, then sit with the women and talk about shopping and gossip. Don't get me wrong, I have women friends and love em to death, but I'd rather hang with the guys and joke around.

The great thing is that some of my women friends are the same way as me so my girlfriends can sit with me and the guys and have a great time.

Back on the subject..........I have had guy friends for years WITHOUT having sex with them.

The big thing is TRUST!!!!! I am a very trustworthy person and the guy that I'm with HAS to trust me, but I also prove it to him. And if the guy I'm seeing has 'girl friends', then he needs to also be trustworthy and prove it back to me.
 **showstopper**
Msg: 499
Posted: 9/20/2006 2:15:28 PM
Yes, I'm best friends with my perfect match. I'm honestly not attracted to her anymore, and I just let her sleep around *laughs hard
 lindalttl
Msg: 500
Posted: 9/28/2006 12:56:25 PM
I have a guy friend. I have been friends with him for about 3 years. He is my best friend and we have been growing closer. The boyfriends I have had, have been jerks. They get close to you physically and dump you. I have emotional closeness which I longed for with the others boyfriends and just didn't get. He may not be the one at the moment, but, he is the best yet. I have been taking classes on healthy relationships and I have learned what I have done wrong and others in my realtionships and I am working on myself. I personally would like the whole package but I haven't found that yet.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can men and women be friends without sex?