Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 steelermoma43
Msg: 549
Can men and women be friends without sex?Page 21 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
Yes,men and women CAN be friends with out sex...My roomate and I have been friends for years,and we have never slept together.We go out to bars and have a great time together,ive had plenty of times that i was so waisted,he could of gotton what he wanted,but loves me enough to respect me and our friendship..Oh,yeh...he just wanted me to add that hes single,and looking...Hes 6'4 and weighs 250,built really nice....My point is we are both good looking people and we dont have sex,friends are like that....When i was dating my ex,he accepted the fact that all of my friends are guys,im a little bit of a tom boy and thats what he liked,so if your ex-boyfriend wants to be an idiot and act like a child,then its better off hes your ex...keep him that way..
 Outlawktty
Msg: 550
Can men and women be friends without sex?
Posted: 11/17/2006 10:05:10 AM
But if your girlfriend saw your female friends as a threat to your relationship, that to me, would indicate that she does not trust you enough to have those feale friends. The same would be true of the woman having guy friends!
 CaNaDiAnEsCaPe
Msg: 551
Posted: 11/17/2006 10:14:00 AM
2 of three of my closest friends are men. one is such a great person.... its almost the brother i never had, the other.. well.... hes gay so i am just his hand bag LOL
 khailey
Msg: 552
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2006 10:17:52 AM
YES!!!!!! Men and women can be friends without sex.. I have lots of male friends..
 khailey
Msg: 553
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2006 10:19:35 AM
And it might be the "new generation" thing.. I don't know- my male friends NEVEr have disrespected me.. and if they have- they are the ones I'm not friends with!!
 Mary031649
Msg: 555
Posted: 11/19/2006 8:39:42 PM
I may be wrong, but I think that the problem arises when you go to your friend male or female with problems about your relationship..... Those are the very things that you should be working out with your guy/gal.

It doesn't always have to be about sex. By sharing what belongs in your relationship with someone else, you are cheating on your "mate" and yourself.
 musicnut46
Msg: 556
Posted: 11/20/2006 8:37:22 PM
You got it Actually Women make better friends anyway...been doing it all my life......got a 11/2 year-old sister.........hung-out with her "friends" till she graduated and most of them had kid sisters I went to school with anyway Problem with that being:never dated till I was about 30:too busy having fun with "friends"
 marshw
Msg: 557
Posted: 11/20/2006 9:01:35 PM
If the guy is gay they can, or if the girl never stops saying no. If she says yes, well, you know...unless of course he's really gay.
 ISO
Msg: 558
Posted: 11/20/2006 11:13:35 PM
Definately not. Impossible.
 JUST A LOOKING 4 U
Msg: 559
Posted: 11/20/2006 11:16:53 PM
Yes I think they can. I have alot of male friends. i would not cross that line. If you would cross that line. You may lose your firend. I dont want to take the chance
 Meer Kat
Msg: 560
Posted: 11/20/2006 11:19:40 PM
Of course they can be friends. The people that I know that don't believe it's possible, are the people who have cheated on their SO or are constantly tempted to cheat. I have never dated a man that didn't have female friends, nor have I had a man in my life that was not accepting of my men friends. But then again, I only date men who believe it's possible to have friends of the opposite sex, who are self-secure and they also trust me. I think that translates into "healthy relationship."

Kat
 Ms. Me
Msg: 561
Posted: 11/21/2006 12:19:58 AM
Everybody is different but it still boils down to one thing though. If u're just friends with the opposite sex, than it stays that way. No sex, no making out, no nothing doesn't matter how "hot" that person might be cause u just wouldn't look at him/her that way. Just wouldn't be natural. So the answer to ur question girl is if ur boyfriend is really just friends with his gal pals, or in the back of his mind he does have interest in any of them and can imagen himself being with any of them sexually. If he can, u're in trouble. But unfortunately u'll never find out the real truth about what he might be thinking about them cause if he has desires, he would never admit them to u. If he doesn't than he would act accordingly and he wouldn't even ray out doubts about them in any way towards u. So listen to ur instincts. THat's all a person can do. Just a note, an ex: My closest friend is a guy. We met and dated but for only a month. We became real great friends since, it's been 2 yrs and we don't have sex. I could never imagen it eventhough he is an attractive guy. A lot of man didn't date me any longer as soon as they found out that my friends r all man, and I'm especially close to this guy. U know, they made the call. Fine. They listened to their sixth sense, eventhough I don't think I gave them any reason whatsoever to doubt me. But then again, they never gave me a chance to get to know me more and see that I can be trusted anyways. So, at the end, their loss. So u either leave him if u feel that uncomfortable, or u get to know him more and give him and urself a chance and see what's really up.
 crystalise
Msg: 562
Posted: 11/21/2006 12:37:06 AM
There is no black and white to this situation however I will try.

I always have the rule, if she was a friend before I came along then she is ok
[and as long as I have met her and see she isnt some ex or girlfriend- wannabe who is playing the friend card to get back with him well you know the deal on those ones]

If she has come along after me - she is not ok

Sure you can poke a lot of holes in that. But it seems to work for me

I do believe men and women can be friends without sex. I have one and in over a year we havent kissed or even flirted yet we hang out all the time. He actually has a few female friends. And no hes not gay. He simply is a guy who has very strong convictions that he is only going to hook up with "the one" but in the meantime he enjoys womens company as well. And he communicates the platonic thing to very early on. Simply a hetro guy with strong standards on relationships for himself. It's possible.
 mythicaldreams
Msg: 563
Posted: 11/21/2006 6:26:11 AM
Ever see that movie When Harry Met Sally? Of course these days there are alot of men/women relationships with out the sex being involved. It complicates things when you involve sex...The security of who you are as a person determines your ability to have this type of a relationship.
 blacksheep30
Msg: 564
Posted: 11/21/2006 8:01:14 AM
Yes, men and women can be friends without sex. I've always had mostly male friends. Doesn't mean one or two haven't been interested in me in other ways, or vice versa, but if we have an agreement to just be friends, then it goes no further. But, for the most part, my guy friends are just like my girl friends as far as how I feel about them, and they see me just like they see their male friends.
 Soul Seductive
Msg: 565
Posted: 11/21/2006 10:32:05 AM
Of course men and women can be friends without sex involved...the majority of my friends are female and I have'nt sexed them or even tried to....you just have to have that mutual understanding that " we are just friends, not friends with benefits"...case closed !..
 musicnut46
Msg: 566
Posted: 11/21/2006 11:58:42 AM
All my "friends" are women,door left open with some You Gals are awesome Men will be men and Women will be women Had best Lady"friend" fom 1978-1988,"dated" the last couple of years and ruined the "friendship"."friends" are "friends" and even considering "dating" can do that
 Mary031649
Msg: 567
Posted: 11/23/2006 5:49:33 PM
musicnut...you mean sort of like this

Oh come again tomorrow
Let not our friendship end
For friends are sometimes lovers
But lovers are never friends.
 musicnut46
Msg: 568
Posted: 11/24/2006 12:48:25 AM
Nope...I just mean in my experience that in my experience "dating" can ruin "frienships" "Friends" can "date" and lovers should be best "friends too
 mari_jayne
Msg: 569
Posted: 11/24/2006 7:00:24 AM
Definately!!! I've spent the last 6 months with my boyfriend without sex....and now that we split....still no sex....but we are friends now tho....i think its great to have a man in your life that your not sexual with....builds character....
 bucsgirl
Msg: 570
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2006 4:49:41 PM
Well you aren't gonna be invited over to play with my brothers. Pfft!
 jmg052
Msg: 571
Posted: 11/25/2006 6:13:11 PM
Yes, a man and woman can be friends. I have a friend I have known him for over 30 years, we have always been there for each other, even when I was married, he never tried to get me in bed and I the same, we both recept each other friendship. I know it is hard for some people to understand that people can be friends with each other no matter who they are.
If you don't trust the one you are with, then the relationship probably will end.
 Northgirl
Msg: 572
Posted: 11/27/2006 12:43:17 PM
Yes you can be friends without sex. I have a good male friend who is a perfect gentlemen.
He believe in old values. My friend and I respect each other too. We can talk just about anything between the two of us.
 shortstuffT
Msg: 574
Posted: 11/27/2006 8:33:25 PM
My boyfriend is having a hard time just trying to make female friends cause as soon as they find out about me they don't want to be friends with him anymore or they want more so they stop the friendship which in today's society i think is ridiculous because it's all about friendship and not about sex. I have male friends and they know about my boyfriend and have absolutely no problem with that and only see me as a friend and someone to shoot the breeze so in today's society, ya why can't men and women be friends even if the guy is in a relationship, doesn't mean they want to sleep with the woman.
 HemlockStones
Msg: 575
Posted: 12/1/2006 10:09:01 AM
shortstuff is right on.
most of my friends are women, and my gf will just have to deal. relationship is about trust, not about ownership. those who say that trust means never doing anything that results in a negative response in the other person are unclear on the concept.

trust mean we are all innocent until proven guilty, and we always give the benefit of the doubt. I am not responsible for her feelings, nor she for mine. if we constantly have to second guess ourselves to avoid stepping on landmines, that is not the basis for a healthy relationship. insecure? see a counsellor. don't make me pay the freight for your baggage.

sure, there may be an underlying attraction between men and women friends. there may even have been a previous intimacy. so long as that is over and done, who cares? not me.
there is a huge difference between thought and action, and every system of ethics must acknowledge that gulf, or it is unworkable.

when I am in a loving relationship, she is the top priority and no one else gets the same intimacy privileges. but I still value my other friends of both sexes, and I will make time for them too. anything else devalues all of us. I have been in a distrustful relationship, and I will never allow that to happen again.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >