Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can men and women be friends without sex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 want to travel
Msg: 751
view profile
History
Can men and women be friends without sex?Page 31 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
i think men and women can be 'just friends', personally i feel comfertable having frends regardles, of age race or sex
 dave1234
Msg: 752
view profile
History
Can men and women be friends without sex?
Posted: 5/29/2007 2:12:24 PM
Riverratt8 asks in msg 980,
what if you are in a relationship and you lived in .....oh lets just say sarnia.......and your girlfrind lives in .....oh lets say windsor.......and you are talking on the phone and she tells you she is going out with her ex.......would you be concerned then.......to tell the truth it dosent bother me becouse i trust her.....but sometmes i get thoughts in my head.......am i wrong in wondering ?????

The problem I have with a partner who remains friends with an EX is not sexual one. I question their general attitude towards relationships.

If two friends casually date, whatever they classify "casually dating" as, then break up I can understand remaining friends. However, if two people have had a serious relationship, made long term plans or lived together then there were promises made.

Let's say your g/f initiated the break-up with her EX. The reason(s) must have been serious in order to terminate a serious relationship. Why would she remain friends with someone who did something seriously wrong? Conversely, if nothing serious happened what does that say about the value she places on relationships?

If the EX ended the relationship then she did something seriously wrong in which case you had better find out. If she didn't do anything seriously wrong then why does she still like the EX who dumped her for an inconsequential reason(s)?
 silentlonely
Msg: 753
Posted: 5/29/2007 2:39:09 PM
YES-ANYONE WHO SAYS DIFF IS LYING
 aikijin
Msg: 754
Posted: 5/29/2007 4:39:59 PM
I have gorgeous women friends with whom I do not have sex.

It does not mean that I do not want to.

With some of them, I would welcome the chance. In fact, I'd welcome the chance to move our friendship to a deeper relationship.

With others, I would avoid it, even though I would love it. Why? Because I know in my heart that we would never be a couple, and it would not be right.

Having said that, I do not decide for them. Who knows what might happen?

If I were in an exclusive relationship with a woman, I would not have sex with anyone else, simply because I believe that would be wrong.

I hope that helps.
 graysam
Msg: 755
Posted: 5/29/2007 4:57:22 PM
Just because you want to have sex with me or you want to have sex with him, doesn't mean we are having sex with each other. A lot of people have a difficult time understanding that one. If they do it means they are insecure and probably would not last long in a relationship with me anyway.
I have several great guy friends. I have even married some of them off to my great girl friends. Still I have lost several great guy friends to wives that don't quite get it.
 oleg060
Msg: 756
Posted: 6/1/2007 5:58:56 AM
It depends on his character. If he is a typical guy then I would say no... all he needs is to be "drunk" to slip up. Most guys usually think with their hormones instead of their brains unless he's able to control himself well. Some people also get along better with the opposite sex better or are equally well at being friends with both. I have more female friends than I do male ones and I don't go around sleeping with them. I can even lay in the same bed with the and cuddle and not grope them, etc. I know how to respect people whether they are male, female, or alternative. Also I know how to stick to boundaries (even while drinking). That is just me though....you'll have to take it on a case by case basis. Also it would help if you knew his friends...if they are a bit, I hate to say this, "skanky" then that might be a red flag. Afterall, some women can't have friends of the opposite sex either.
 italiann_sweetheart
Msg: 757
Posted: 6/2/2007 9:32:03 PM
Of course you can be friends without sex.

Some of them are male chat friends...others are colleagues male friends or hang-out friends and i guarantee we have never or will never have sex!!!
Sometimes its nice to get a male point of view.

Amber2007
Msg: 758
Posted: 6/2/2007 9:40:41 PM
Hrmm..actually they can do that but i think it takes a bit of will power. In all honesty there is somewhat of a sexual attraction between alot (not ALL) male/female friendships.
I am guilty of this but I have never taken things further than friends (while in a relationship).
If you are concerned about it then it is okay to ask him about it. Just never go accusing him of it. Guys tend to respond pretty badly when accused of something.

I'm kinda the same way here. A lot of my friends are male. I just prefer it that way. Sure there are a few I would not mind jumping into bed with but I am not going to do it. But seriously, it's all bout will power and respect for ones partner (if involved).

Joseph-Irvine
Msg: 759
Posted: 6/3/2007 12:17:56 AM
Yeah, I think it is possible for men and women to be friends and not have sex. Although, I should point out that if the guys has some value traits that many women want he may have a higher proportion of female friends than male friends. (i.e., rich, successful, rebel, attractive, etc). Many women seem to go after the guys another woman already has. It really comes down to what you are comfortable with. If you don't think the man you date should have other female friends than he is probably not for you.
 WinterWussy
Msg: 760
Posted: 6/3/2007 4:32:56 AM
It depends. Some guys are just horn toads and cannot be trusted. Other guys are so devoted to that person they are dating, they don't get turned on by other women as easily, and they can control themselves. If the woman says, no, then you have to oblige. My X husband refused to understand how threatened I felt by his secretive relationship with his X Girlfriend. He would sneak around with her, and later I discovered through some of his emails more was going on. We're divorced now.

So, you ask, is it healthy? Not always. It's a matter of trusting each other.
 Zaneyous
Msg: 761
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2007 6:29:43 AM
I have been friends with a few females that were attractive, but the truth of the matter is that when we were alone things ALWAYS went too far. It might start with me making a joke and she pushing me or whatever and BAM!

I had 2 friends that were married to someone else and when the others were at work one day all hell broke loose. I brought one friend over because we thought he would be at home. The girl is washing dishes and I'm watching TV. When I walk in the kitchen they are going at it. I hollered and threw a fit, but it was already too late for that. The girl was very pretty and the guy was just a loser friend that would never amount to anything and the friend that got cheated on was in construction making $70,000 a year.

If there is even a semi-attractive female most men would cheat. The odds are getting more even now, though because I know a lot of females that did it in the spur of the moment. You can try, but I don't believe it works.
 MB58SC
Msg: 762
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2007 6:31:07 AM
Some yes, some no. Isn't this obvious by now?
 JDMETRO
Msg: 763
Posted: 6/9/2007 7:08:03 AM
Yes they can - but if one of the parties wants sex with the other - it won't work in the long run and often even in the short run.

I don't like to be around women who wish to have a romantic / sexual relationship with me and I find them totally physically unattractive - or their personality turns off any hint of me having a sexual desire for them. The whole thing is just uncomfortable - so I avoid being around them.

Joe
 ArtofLiving
Msg: 764
Posted: 6/14/2007 5:39:00 PM
I think MB has it right, it depends on the people involved.
 imkimmi
Msg: 765
Posted: 6/14/2007 6:10:27 PM
YES!! My Best Friends throughout my life have been males. So Yes, I think so.
 TeJay
Msg: 766
Posted: 6/14/2007 6:36:57 PM
I broke up with someone in which I had a long term relationship with. I also had male friends. They crossed some lines that would be questionable just as soon as my ex was out of the picture. I never thought they were ever interested in me that way.
My ex never trusted them but I guess he saw things I didn't. I think you need to have trust. I think boundries, as well. You'll have to make a decission if a person is pretty special in your life and if you don't want to lose him, you should give them the respect and understanding. Sometimes, there are things they see when you don't.
 R_Keith
Msg: 767
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2007 7:07:42 PM
Sure. I've been friends with a woman for almost 15 years now and we haven't ever had sex.
 baby_girl8181
Msg: 768
Posted: 6/14/2007 8:19:17 PM
no because it will feel ocword to be in the same room together and when he drops u and finds someone else what do u do u can"t do a dame thing but stalk him not an intellagent choice or u can find ur self a gud lookin man and date him u need to move on or he needs to that is not a gud idea
 cantbymelove
Msg: 769
Posted: 6/19/2007 7:47:14 AM
Well , I can't help but think of the movie " When Harry met Sally, he say's all men wan't to have sex with you, but you think they don't, because they don't say anything out loud.She say's I have plenty of men that are just Friend's, and no sex involved. He say's sure but they all want to have sex with you. You must remember though Sally is very beautiful, and I,m thinking if you look that good, know wonder your Friend's want's to have sex with you....
 songbird1963
Msg: 770
Posted: 6/19/2007 7:50:05 AM
Since I have male friends I've never slept with....my answer would be yes. That doesn't mean that the thought didn't cross our minds though ;)
 me_aboy
Msg: 771
Posted: 6/19/2007 1:13:09 PM
heck naw....only a fool can believe that crap...
 TheDancingQueen
Msg: 772
Posted: 6/19/2007 2:27:50 PM
Men and women cannot be friends and only friends with no hint of sexual tension or interest ever unless there are extreme circumstances involved.

People use the term "friendship" often to just get some attention. A real "friend" doesn't string you along to fill their own emotional needs at the expense of your feelings.
 Scott_In_Tulsa
Msg: 773
Posted: 6/19/2007 2:30:09 PM
sure they can...but why would you want to do that ?
 RehabAddict
Msg: 774
Posted: 6/19/2007 2:30:33 PM
No. But it's not the sex you have to worry about. Someone is or will always hurt in silence.

Unrequited love is a killer.
 Catman 4 u
Msg: 775
Posted: 6/20/2007 3:16:31 PM
Oh come on...this is ridiculous my best friend of 20 years is a woman..we have 'never' had sex and I have other women as friends as well...Get past the gender and just see the person....Again 'whatever' what a stupid question...
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can men and women be friends without sex?