Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can men and women be friends without sex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DevilYouSay
Msg: 801
Can men and women be friends without sex?Page 33 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
yes he should be ok with it if he is self confident, loves and trusts you.
 golfphan
Msg: 802
Can men and women be friends without sex?
Posted: 7/24/2007 8:22:36 PM
Speaking for me personally,if I'm attracted to her,we probably can't be friends.Why?Because I will want to sleep with her at some point.It's that simple.If she isn't interested in me,I would probably be too embarrassed or mad to continue pursuing a friendship with her.Just one man's opinion.
 hunny147
Msg: 803
Posted: 7/24/2007 11:06:08 PM
men and women can be friends. some of my closest friends are guys and there is no romance between me and all of them lol... if you really do trust each other and perhaps get to know those ppl he is with...then ull see....if he is not a trustworthy person, then i would understand why you would worry
 fishbill
Msg: 804
Posted: 7/24/2007 11:31:36 PM
Yes I agree men and women can be freinds without sex. Even if one of them might have it in the back of the mind, I've been there, and some women freinds might have wanted more (Oh, I flatter myself). So the OP is easy to answer.

HOWEVER, if you are in a committed relationship, you shouldn't hang around with opposite sex single freinds IN PRIVATE. it is socially awkward and gives off bad appearances at the least...and very often results in mixed emotions if not jealousy of another partner....and at worst might result in rape or accusations of rape, especially if drinking is involved. Many, if not most, counselors and psychologists will agree about the not "being alone in private" if you are in another relationship. Of course no sex is involved most of the time, but obviously there seem to be a lot of cheaters around.
 InSiGhT_62
Msg: 805
Posted: 7/25/2007 12:28:35 AM
F*CK I don't even know anymore....

I have plenty of male friends... and I definitely don't want to sleep with them... However, if a man I was dating had really attractive friends i would be a little uneasy at first, but i would never tell him to get rid of them.... I've seen this break up many relationships.... however this usually occurs when the men/women talk about their life happenings with their close friends rather than their significant other. I would like to think that the man in my life would come to me first with his problems and confide in me rather than another woman.

Like most have said..... when you have plenty of opposite sex friends and your balancing a gf/bf at the time.... you need to let them know that you can be trusted..... don't EVER LIE.... -if ur going out with a friend of the opposite sex.... let it be known..... maybe even open an invitation for gf/bf to join...... make them feel included in your life.... they should definitely be either way

ByWayofBeanTown
Msg: 806
Posted: 7/25/2007 8:55:32 AM
I think they can... But it would have to stem from a basis where no one was originally attracted to the other..for there to be less confusion! I have some great male friends..and never have we looked at each other "like that" I mean we may agree that the other is attractive..but not be attracted to each other!!!
 AngelnGa
Msg: 807
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2007 10:25:50 AM
Absolutely. Friendship is special and its not always a sexual thing. Mature people can be friends without intimacy.
 lonelynlooking15701
Msg: 808
Posted: 7/25/2007 10:26:03 AM
Welllllll, since over half my friends are women, if they can't then I'd better get busy, lol.....

Seriously tho, OF COURSE they can! Sadly sex usually changes the entire dynamics of the "friendship", and often screws things up.... but a little harmless flirting can be fun sometimes.
 jcl1ros
Msg: 809
Posted: 8/1/2007 2:11:40 PM
Of course it is possible to be friends.
Espcially if the two people involved know what sex is with love, and what it is without. There is no comparision.
Then again it depends on the morality of the people involved (or at least one of them ) - especially if one or more are in a relationship.
 CajunSweety30
Msg: 810
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2007 4:04:34 PM
Men and women definitely can be friends without sex... U just need to put them in the category with your female friends... Which are OFF LIMITS!!! Definitely don't cross the line with a male friend b/c you'll never get that friendship you had before
 prettyinpinkxo
Msg: 811
Posted: 8/1/2007 4:28:42 PM
I have a couple of male friends who I go out with on occassion, no sex at all, BUT, if and when I do get into a serious realtionship with a guy........that will STOP. Just out of respect for the other person. I would expect the same.
 .Marc
Msg: 812
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2007 4:34:01 PM
I refuse to stop doing things with my female friends simply because the person I am dating has trust issues. That is ridiculous.

If I wanted to sleep with my friends I wouldn't need to date anyone new.

Of course, women have made up the majority of my circle of friends in my life time... so I'd essentially be turning my back on everyone I know if I partook this sort of asinine behavior...
 prettyinpinkxo
Msg: 813
Posted: 8/1/2007 4:53:28 PM

Of course, women have made up the majority of my circle of friends in my life time... so I'd essentially be turning my back on everyone I know if I partook this sort of asinine behavior

Not a trust issue at all.................it is a RESPECT issue. You should not put yourself in a situation with the opposite sex that has the potential of going further if you are in a serious relationship.
 .Marc
Msg: 814
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2007 4:56:32 PM
I consider it disrespectful for someone to expect you to disconnect long term friends that you have never had any interest in being physical with. For me it IS a trust issue. IE: You would have to either trust that I'm a gentleman and would honor our relationship.

To each their own though- we obviously have very different views on this sort of thing.
 weirdscienceofluv
Msg: 815
Posted: 8/1/2007 4:57:21 PM
Yes its possible, ive had women friends for years, they just like anyone can appareciate someone who can help when they need advise and literally someone they can depend on when they are in need. So yes i can say men and women can be friends without sex....
 jtme2j0urs
Msg: 816
Posted: 8/2/2007 8:44:45 PM
Yes but that changes with the addition of alcohol!!
 jeepgurl82
Msg: 817
Posted: 8/2/2007 8:57:01 PM
^^^^^ SOOO NOT true! All my guy friends and I have been drunk around eachother and i've NEVER crossed that boundary with ANY of my friends.

Usually it's them carrying me into my apt, tucking me into my bed and they crash in my sons bed or on the couch.

But I also agree with prettyinpink. If you're in a serious relationship, if your guy friends are gonna be out drinking with ya, if your b/f or g/f doesnt go along than you shouldnt go. It IS about respect. Not trust. The guy i'm seeing and I had this very discussion the other night.
 Simplysoft
Msg: 818
Posted: 8/2/2007 11:25:17 PM
Most of my friends are male. We get along great and we don't have sex. Sometimes I think it's easier to hang with the opposite sex, cause girl's can be cruel.
 i_am_lynna
Msg: 819
Posted: 8/3/2007 8:54:48 AM
I have men friends with whom I am not sexual. BUT typically they are someone I dated in the past and we both felt that there wasnt long term relationship potential - maybe something was missing from the list of what we both felt we wanted in a spouse. But, we remained friends. I guess it's certainly possible but I think some people use it as a 'excuse' to hang out with people they know their significant other would object to.

Like if you think about it.. if they are just friends why don't they include you in this group of friends?
I would be a little suspicious (maybe a lot suspicious) of a man's women friends whom he didnt want you to ever meet in person or hang out with them from time to time.

Now I do think everyone has friends at work.. (co workers) of the opposite sex.. and that doesn't necessarily mean anything is going on if they go together as a group for lunch.
 happyhazeleyes
Msg: 820
Posted: 8/3/2007 9:08:25 AM
Of course we can all have friends of the opposite sex! Where's it written that we should ONLY have friends of the same sex? However, if you are in a committed relationship and that person's MET your opp. sex friend, you have all spent time together talking, socializing, etc., is when your sig. other may come to understand that it is truly a friendship and nothing more.

I have male friends that will be a part of my life for a very long time and should I ever meet someone who becomes MORE then a friend, he'd need to understand that firstly I don't intend on giving up ANY of my friends for him. Secondly, I would want him to get to know ALL my friends, male and female. After all, aren't they a part of who I am? If a man expects me to give up having male friends then he is so NOT the man for me because what else will he want me to give up for him, my family? Good friends last forever and in my books they count no matter what the gender.
 slashfractal
Msg: 821
Posted: 8/22/2007 4:07:02 AM
Yes, but with hard work.
 junebug1946
Msg: 822
Posted: 8/31/2007 8:50:18 AM
I have been really good friends with a number of men. Right now there are two that are as close to me as family. We hang out together, share our passion for live music (both are musicians), and never has sex entered the picture. We show each other affection and share a love that is special and pure. Believe me it is possible to be friends without sex. My relationship with these two men is proof of it. Lovers are easy to find, but true friends are not. By the way, their girlfriends know that neither one of them would stop being my friend if they asked them to.
 silly12
Msg: 823
Posted: 9/2/2007 5:44:50 PM
Of course they can! We are all people. I have several male friends, and that is all that they are. Friends. Would I give them up if my SO asked me to? Nope. They come as a part of me and my life. I would include them in activities with my SO, and hopefully they would become friends too.

Now would I go out with them on a Saturday night and leave my SO at home? Heck no! I'd want my hunny to go out with me too! &
 seagirlgo
Msg: 824
Posted: 9/5/2007 12:28:10 AM
If anyone thinks that men and women can be friends I dare say they must be on another planet. We all start out when we meet each other with an attraction. One has it (the attraction) for the other, or visa versa. However, in the end whether you get together and 'it' ends and you become friends with the person, one of you will ALWAYS wants to 'get together ' in 'that way'. So I say 'give it up' there is no such thing as male /female friends......it is a primal instinct to mate, and it will always be. Just contact your subconscious mind and ask yourself if the person you think is your friend (opposite sex friend that is), really is a friend.
Sleep on it.
 Seasrching Woman
Msg: 825
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2007 1:10:13 AM
Silly question! Of course they can. I've always had men friends who were just that, friends. It can get sticky when they get a girlfriend because they don't always believe we are just friends. The true friends work through it and soon their girlfriends see I am not after their man. To tell the truth I have always had more guy friends then girlfriends, but that comes from being raised in an almost all boy neighborhood!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Can men and women be friends without sex?