Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 askaris
Msg: 878
Can men and women be friends without sex?Page 33 of 53    (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53)
I think you can definitely be friends....even if you once did have sex..
You have to be really grounded in who you are, and decide if the friendship still has meaning to you
Would I remain friends if the other person was dishonest or kicking my self esteem????
Absolutely not
 memethree
Msg: 879
Can men and women be friends without sex?
Posted: 2/10/2008 12:57:21 PM
I have one truly good friend that I don't have to think about wanting to "sleep" with me. Although I know he does [and I don't feel the same way], he is such a gentleman and wouldn't try it. If it didn't end our relationship it would certainly change it from a great one, which it is now, to one that was so totally different we wouldn't ever be as close. Known him for what seems like forever and wouldn't exchange that for the fleeting fling of the world of sex. Nope. True friends are too hard to come by.
 Blk_Archangel7
Msg: 880
Posted: 2/10/2008 2:17:06 PM
of course you can be friends without sex. I'm friends with a lot of females. Doesn't mean that I'm going to be having sex with them
 smileatjen
Msg: 881
Posted: 2/10/2008 2:41:32 PM
Yes you can have friends without any sex. OH I couldn't even bare the thought of having sex with some of my friends..not that they are attractive, but they'd have some smart remark during the act lol
 TombstoneTom
Msg: 883
Posted: 2/10/2008 6:03:50 PM
Very unlikely.

It;s simply how we are wired. anytime a male and female spends time together, it will cross their minds.

Human nature is human nature no matter how much we try out the grey area, or how we spin it.

Tom
 pattyinla
Msg: 884
Posted: 2/10/2008 8:24:29 PM
I have worked in a male dominated profession for 28 years and I have incredible bonds with some of these men. In some ways I am even closer to them than their spouses. But I have never slept with any of them. We go out after work, we go to events, all sorts of things but there is a level of trust there and I would never break that trust.
That being said their significant others know me and are comfortable with me. I think the question is...how comfortable are you with his friends. I strongly believe that if you sense there is a problem then there is a problem. Listen to your little voice, it will never steer you wrong.
 BamaBob
Msg: 885
Posted: 2/10/2008 8:43:02 PM
I think it really depends on the venue of when and where you came to know them. There are several women I knew when I was growing up that we have always been friends, especially those I knew in the church I grew up in. I always put many of them on such a pedestal that I could not date them. It was kind of like I didn't want them to know the real me! Or maybe I just didn't want to tarnish the purity I thought of them. Maybe they were too much like sisters to me or something. I do know that I hardly ever dated any of the girls I knew in school or church. But, for the most part, if she's a hot looking sensuous babe then there's no way she can just be a friend.... most girls like that are simply not going to allow a guy to be "just friends".
 Lavinia10
Msg: 886
Posted: 2/10/2008 8:44:21 PM
Absolutely. However, a boyfriend so busy with female friends would not make me feel good either. Obviously you were not a priority in his life.
 daylilliesback
Msg: 887
Posted: 2/11/2008 9:39:03 AM
@ It;s simply how we are wired. anytime a male and female spends time together, it will cross their minds.

^^^its all about setting boundaries and having self control.
 wondering1980
Msg: 888
Posted: 2/11/2008 9:43:21 AM
depends on who the chick is....its a double standard...i have lots of male friends i've never had sex with and never will ....there so close to me now i consider them more like brothers so nope its a myth...sounds like your ex can't be friends with women without sex..
 edward1224
Msg: 889
Posted: 2/11/2008 9:47:35 AM
Yes, I'm friends with several women without having sex. It just depends on what the relationship is composed of.

Ed
 psylocke23
Msg: 890
Posted: 2/16/2008 10:04:51 AM

I can't believe how many guys on this thread have claimed to have no female friends, and have denied even the possibility of being friends with a woman!

Seriously, guys, you're depriving yourselves. Women put a lot more effort into friendships than guys do, in my experience. Sex doesn't have to be an issue, just try a little self-control.

Truly!!!
 Dic Tracy
Msg: 892
Posted: 2/16/2008 10:48:18 AM
Sex or no sex, Why unjustifably arouse suspicion, or jealousy (the most dangerous of human emotion) by sending free time with the oposite sex if in a realtionship? Its how my conduct affects others... especially the one closest to me, that I take in to concideration. For that alone I am responsible. Keep in mind that I only speak for myself on the issue. Standards & values differ with each & every individual.
 komodo
Msg: 893
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2008 3:11:02 AM
Yes, it is possible to be just friends with women without the proverbial "friends with benefits" concept getting in the way. Although, it does depend on the people involved and their, I'm sorry, their "maturity" level. - just my opinion. Based on the fact that I've got many female friends. A few people that I've met don't believe in the idea, thats OK for them....
 happyhazeleyes
Msg: 894
Posted: 2/23/2008 11:09:23 AM
Most definitely men and women can be friends without sex. I have male friends I'd never sleep with, but I consider myself blessed to say they are good and caring friends.

Could you imagine a world where men and women did nothing else but have sex with everyone they met???

As exciting as that might sound to some, I think even the most verile of us would tire of that much 'excitment' and long for some good ole fashioned conversation and genuine friendship.

Happy fishing and remember, be careful what you reel in.
 clovisblues
Msg: 895
Posted: 2/23/2008 11:43:53 AM
I have several female friends and one of them I do go out with - lunch this time of year, and kayaking when its decent. We were romantically involved and I wouldn't give up the kayaking unless someone else presented themselves and was as much of a fiend for small boats :-)

She reminds me she has pants I could get in every now and then, but that is off in the past for me and she has been seeing other people. Its all good ...
 gjay1
Msg: 896
Posted: 2/23/2008 3:17:48 PM
i cant believe there are so many people who have issues with this - i have always had friends of both sexes and of all ages - and they are all so important in my life...
the male friends ....never never has the idea of sex been an issue!! we are friends not anything else....but this doesnt make it a lesser thing...it means they are my friends and as such so very valuable to me - whether they are male or female - young or old....and ive been out with fellas who have close women friends ....of course i believe thats all they are - there is no reason why not and i find that people who have both male and female friends are just so much more comfortable in relationships as a result of the opposite sex being familiar- not some foreign species!!
 ZirconInTheRough
Msg: 897
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2008 3:33:21 PM
I'm very good friends with a few women.
One of which I was in a serious relationship with, but we never slept together.

Yes, there are some guys who keep 'female friends' as a cushion for when/if things don't work out well between them and their current g/f. In fact, the women themselves may not even be aware of that intention, but I still maintain that some guys do, and they are perfectly functional friendships.

If you have any doubts as to whether or not a man is keeping ladies on the stringer, then start examining his previous relationships, and ask the women themselves.
Pay attention to what kind of activities he and his female friend do together.
It's hard for me to say what key indicators one should look for when a man keeps women on the stringer, because I don't know.
 caramelkiss31
Msg: 898
Posted: 2/23/2008 4:53:30 PM
Yes men and women can be friends without sex.... my best friend is a man we have been best friends for 13 years and sex has never been an issue. He gives me advice from a man's stance and i give him advice from a woman's and it works out well in both of our relationships with other people. We have the best of both worlds....I get the mans point of view and he receives the woman's point of view... we have never crossed that line, it would be like sleeping with my brother and he with his sister. I think that if people can't be mature enough to understand, you can have a friend ( opposite sex) that you don't sleep with they need to grow up.. there are some things in life that supersedes the superficial carnal desires and takes on a life of something deep and sacred ...a commitment between a man and a woman that's not sexual, but something bonded.
 Cynderella
Msg: 899
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2008 11:26:55 PM
I think on a women's behalf Yes...

On a man's behalf No...

I think they can start out that way but the wanting what you can't have thingy creeps in.

Maybe if it were a Will and Grace thing.
 nycdoctor
Msg: 900
Posted: 2/25/2008 6:11:20 AM
it is impossible because in the back of the guys mind..he thinks one day you will me the PY
 Esro
Msg: 901
Posted: 2/26/2008 6:57:42 PM
I most defiantly say they can.

My best friend is a woman. When we were younger we slept together and had a short relationship. We both knew that we were better friends and have know each other for over 19 years.
She has even gone so far as introducing her 2nd husband to me and telling him that if I don't like him they are gonna have a problem. Needless to say I liked him and they got married.
From what I am reading though my situation is rare. This I find to be sad. I have a few female friends and they are defiantly stronger friendships than I have with guys.

Guys you just gotta realize the best resource you have is your friends. If you can't have a female friendship then you are missing out on a very honest and strong friendship. Females are way more dependable as friends and are way more blunt and to the point. Not to mention more reliable and trustworthy. Any guy that is lucky enough to have a female friend will benefit in the long run.

Esro
 shotinthedark62
Msg: 902
Posted: 2/26/2008 8:24:25 PM
Something I've noticed over the years is that there are alot of men and women on earth. Not quite sure of the percentages though. I think its healthy to have friends of the opposite sex and I think its cool that opposites can have plutonic relatioships. I also think that we should be considerate of our Lover's perspectives and nuture them so that no inhibitions will taint their thoughts of us.
 magnusfl
Msg: 903
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2008 4:10:00 PM
yes we can I got a lot of women friends and alot of them have a lot of guy friends but if you were my friend I suspect that would not be the case if the right lady was agreeing but that would be for the very long term if things worked out
 Prissymae
Msg: 904
Posted: 3/3/2008 4:13:07 PM
The very best friend I've ever had is a male. And yes the "no sex" applies.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >