Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Famous -Favorite Female Singers-      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 daynadaze
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Famous -Favorite Female Singers-Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
So many here that I agree with. I love Janis Joplin, have you ever heard her sing A Woman Left Lonely?
 forumslady
Msg: 27
Famous -Favorite Female Singers-
Posted: 3/21/2017 11:53:16 AM
Daynadaze- "So many here that I agree with. I love Janis Joplin, have you ever heard her sing A Woman Left Lonely?"
I didn't think a song she sang existed that I hadn't heard, but this one I hadn't.
I listened to it.
Wow, wow. That, in a way, was her theme song. She had so much heart break and pain in her life. That made me tear up. So, soulful and bluesy.
Thank you for that, I LOVE her, she is my favorite and NO one will replace her.
 daynadaze
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2017 1:41:57 PM
You are welcome :-)
 forumslady
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/21/2017 1:53:51 PM
daynadaze- I'm going to return the favor and suggest that you watch VH1's special on her. It was a part of their legends series,
Google "Janis Joplin, VH1, legends" and you will find it.
It's long, but Soooo worth it. :)
 tomfiend
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/21/2017 2:32:35 PM
Nobody mentioned Barbara????? perhaps the greatest Female singer of all time (considering she also is a great actress too)
 trinity818
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2017 2:34:51 PM
^^^
It's true! Nobody mentioned Barbara.

Or is it "Barbra"
 tomfiend
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/21/2017 3:16:16 PM
^^^ Trinity...you are so clever...how come you are still looking....somebody should have swept you up long ago with that wonderful sense of humor?
 razors_edge55
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2017 3:24:54 PM
nobody said "Taylor " or Miley,, or Britney,,,no no ,,let's not turn this into the sheep dip of lady singers ,,
one nobody noted and she was a honey and ,what a voice ,Lena Horne
and how about Tina Turner
ha ha ,,,how about Enya ,,,I like her ,by the way
 tomfiend
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/21/2017 3:31:16 PM

Taylor " or Miley,, or Britney

My daughter loves them. I can't stand them ... but for a few of their songs.

I'm guessing the older women here don't even know who they are unless they have teenagers or young adults in the household.....the guys may only because Taylor is pretty.... Britney used to be (or is it Brittany? you may have to consult with Trinity on that one) and Miley has become pretty outrageous by flaunting sexuality.
 razors_edge55
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2017 3:45:13 PM
the best I can say is Tayor writes a lot of her song ,and she is not a media whore ,,,the others as Dee would say "Meh"
all threw history so many greats ,,,most here don't know ,,even josephine baker was a really good singer
and maybe GTO might have heard of Maria Callis ??
and least we forget "the queen of the blues" Bessie Smith
 gtomustang
Msg: 36
I just met a girl named Maria
Posted: 3/21/2017 3:51:47 PM
actually, I had never knowingly heard of Maria Callis. To express it crudely, she certainly has a set of pipes. Impressive range, I just listened to a "Best of" on youtube. Used to love Enya and a band she played in for a while, Clannad. Also enjoyed Sarah MacLauchlan (here's an earworm for you)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K0qCCfeMAE

and i'll toss in Tarja, a duet with one of my fav female singers, but probably too "hard" for some (she's the second refrain in the caramel coloured jacket):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6MpsDPKts

one final opinion--I remember when people thought Lady Gaga was going to just be a female Marilyn Manson, just out to be a character, and then she sung with Tony Bennett...
 razors_edge55
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2017 4:30:59 PM
I kinda like Ga Ga ,I saw an interview seemed like a down to earth gal,,but she did kinda get her early look from
Dale Bozzio ,of missing persons ,,see there song "words"
oh just came to me Linda rondstadt (everything )
and mazy star "fade into you "
 tomfiend
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/21/2017 4:52:01 PM
Fwiw, bought alexa from amazon..A few bucks for unlimited music library (for prime members). Just tell alexa to play any artist or song you want....and it's instantaneous. Impressive technology. .and I still love Enya.
 daynadaze
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2017 11:13:58 PM
When Lady Gaga is dressed up as herself and just sings a song, she'd fabulous, but I can't get into the gimmicks she does. And it's Britney, I don't care for Britney or Taylor, and I can't stomach Miley. The times I've heard Miley sing she was awful, of course that's a personal opinion.

When Whitney Huston belted out, I Will Always Love You, or whatever the name of that is, she was beyond wonderful, it was magic. And then she threw it all away.

Bette Midler, she has a fantastic voice, my favorite is The Rose. And yes, Barbra, another fabulous voice, and Adele.

I like people who can contain their voice while belting it out there where it goes right through you. Music is amazing

I'll have to look that up on VH1, thank you for the info.

_GypSea_
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/22/2017 2:21:24 AM
Edith Piaf, what a voice for a little squirt of a woman - especially in 'Non, je ne regrette rien'. WOW!
 forumslady
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/22/2017 4:14:58 PM
daynadaze- I absolutely can NOT believe I forgot Bette Midler! :o
The Rose is one of my favorite songs too.
LOVE her!
 cooldog65
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2017 10:22:13 AM
So many of the girl and mixed groups I love had great female lead singers, but their names weren't well known. A few here...

The 5th Dimension - Marilyn McCoo and Florence LaRue. Marilyn was the primary lead singer until she left in 1975. Florence took over after that.

The Three Degrees - Sheila Ferguson, Valerie Taylor, and Fayette Pinkney. All 3 of them did their share of lead singing.

The Marvelettes - Gladys Horton and Wanda Young each did their share of lead singing. Gladys on most of the early hits and Wanda on most of the later ones.

Brenda and the Tabulations - Brenda Payton. "The Touch of You" and "Right on the Tip of My Tongue" are a couple of my favorites.

The Royalettes- - Sheila Ross. Their biggest hit is "It's Gonna Take a Miracle".

The Flirtations - Ernestine Pearce. "Nothing But a Heartache" is a Northern Soul classic.

The Velvelettes - Carolyn Gill. "He Was Really Sayin' Somethin'", "Needle in a Haystack", and "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You" are my favorites.
 Fish_finder_ON__check
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/26/2017 12:22:40 PM
Ever so many good singers out there. Above all I like (in no special order):

Barbara Streisand

Karen Carpenter

Agnetha Faltskog
 Fish_finder_ON__check
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/26/2017 12:25:09 PM
I forgot to add to the list...
and

Celtic Woman (a group but great singers)
 Ouija2025
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/26/2017 12:29:38 PM
imo Whitney ruined that lovely Dolly Parton song.
I freakin LOVE gaga. And Miley is super cute and sweet.
Mine
Annie Lennox
Florence Welch
Christina Aguilera
Patsy Cline
 forumslady
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/26/2017 1:09:38 PM
ouijhttps://forums.plentyoffish.com/a2025- Dolly Parton's version was tender and sweet, so I get what you are saying. Whitney did it much different, but I loved her version too.
I realize we are in a thread about women singers, but it reminds me of Metallica redoing Bob Segar's "Turn the page."
I'm a huge fan of both, but I did NOT like Metallica's version, at all.
 razors_edge55
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2017 2:27:10 PM
yes both Dolly and Whitney I thought were great in there own way ,,but dolly did write it so she has the edge lol
I like Diana krall ,,she is easy ,, my ex was in radio so I heard a lot of stuff ,,once saw Nanci griffith what a singer,
Bojrk out of this world,,,,oh the beat goes on
 Butterchickenchuck
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/26/2017 4:09:14 PM
Why is this in " Off Topic " ?????

It has nothing to do with Trump !
 gtomustang
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/26/2017 4:57:34 PM
" it reminds me of Metallica redoing Bob Segar's "Turn the page." I'm a huge fan of both, but I did NOT like Metallica's version, at all."

>>>alas, not everyone can be Johnny Cash covering "Hurt" :) Shinedown didn't do too bad covering "Simple Man", but then they started with a good song to begin with.

Chuckie, I didn't know Trump was off topic. I just thought he was "off" :)
 forumslady
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/26/2017 5:53:40 PM
gtomustang- I loved Johnny Cash and thank you for mentioning him, because June Carter Cash belongs on my list.
As far as covers- It gets really interesting when people don't know a cover is a cover (well, most of them), ala Tina Turners take on Proud Mary. ;)
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Famous -Favorite Female Singers-