Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is tha      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tom42149
Msg: 61
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?Page 12 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
I give my cell #, because that IS my home number. I have wireless Internet, so no landline phone line. I am sure this is becoming more common, as more & more Internet connections become available daily. Personally, if I owned stock in a landline phone company, I would be selling it, ASAP!
 HOTPINKANGEL
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?
Posted: 10/2/2007 12:42:28 AM
Seems I have created a MONSTER>...I was only asking IF that meant he was taken....but it did get some awesome responses.....Thanks for helping me...and NO I AM NOT A STALKER...Times are different now...I realize that I need to come into the right century...but when you have been burned byMEN who cheat I was curious as to could that be a sign he is....thanks again for the help,,,FYI....he is long out of the picture..LOL..
 NatGoat
Msg: 63
Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?
Posted: 10/4/2007 12:17:17 AM
I don't even HAVE a cell-phone . .
If we get along by E-mail . . I'll _Offer_ my Home # . . !
~ . . is that fair . . ? . . ~
 EC22
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/4/2007 2:45:37 PM
Absloutely not. It is easier to reach me on my cell phone because I'm not home that often. Some people might not have home phones. The only reason I have a home phone because it is necessary for my home alarm system.
 footballatrider
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/5/2007 6:30:39 PM
Personally, I DO NOT ANSWER my HOME PHONE. But always have my cell on me
 jon525
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/5/2007 6:50:25 PM
I don't have a home phone.
I have 2 cell phones, 1 for work the other mine.
I leave mine a home but if someone didnt know I lived alone they might wonder like you. Jon
 Mouseyou
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/5/2007 10:38:46 PM
HI girl,
I've been in the telephone business for about 22 years. When I get home OR at work, I hate answering phone calls. I give out my cell # because it's more convenient. I'll answer it. I only use my home phone to make long calls as I use Vonage and get free long distance. If you want my home number, shoot me a line, but once again, I'm never home except to sleep.
You have a valid point though, watch out fer the wierdoes
Take care of yourself & be cautious. ( like these little smileeees)

C ya soon,

Phil
 Pisces619
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/5/2007 11:24:14 PM
Had to change my home # so many times because of all the #*%!!^ psychos I've met it's not funny. I'm also cautious about giving out my cell... so there
 Who.Me
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/19/2007 8:20:45 AM
Personally, I don't have a home phone anymore...just my cell and I am most definately SINGLE!!!!!
 wahya
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/12/2009 11:23:50 AM
Hey Donna, you know me....used to drive over the road, was never home, so all I have is my cell, couldn't see paying for something I was never home to use, now that I am driving local, just stuck with it, don't get enough calls to see paying for home service....
 hawaiian punch
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/4/2009 11:29:24 PM
Im a girl and If im going to give out a number it is going to be my cell phone as well. It is better not to give your home number at first for the worry they can find your real addy and if they are touched in the head you might be in trouble. It does not mean your hiding anything at all. After you get to know that person and you know they are safe, if they wont give you a home number get up and run away real fast! So men are not the only ones.
 SMaggs
Msg: 72
view profile
History
 kenfla38
Msg: 73
Posted: 4/5/2009 9:20:17 AM

I am very curious about this one...seems all I get are cell phone numbers....rarely do i get a home phone number...how about you????...Donna in Illinois

... There can be any number of reasons who someone doesn't give you a home #:
1) They have no home phone (which is becoming more and more popular)
2) Their cell phone is the easiest place to reach them (as it's with them most of the time)
3) They don't want you knowing where you live until they know you better (as you can easily do a reverse search to find someone's address from a phone number)
4)....OR they could be married,in a relationship, or have some other secret they're not to anxious to share (such as they live in their parent's basement or currently reside in a prison cell).

I wouldn't read too much into it for a first or second date. But generally, if someone is being secretive after that, you have reason to at least be suspicious. Have they not told you were they live (or invited you over?)... Have they not told you were they work/what they do, etc? It's understandable that people don't necessarily want you (who they don't know) instantly able to find out everything about them such as where you live (as we've all heard the psycho-type stories), but after a few good dates... if the other person is being secretive or avoiding certain topics... or avoiding sharing a home phone number which you know they have, you have every right to be suspicious and to use good common sense as to whether you want to continue to see this person and/or to confront them as to what they seem to be hiding.

Best Wishes
 forum101
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2009 10:44:19 PM
If I didnt have kids at home, I wouldnt even have a home phone. I would go cell all the way, and people could have delusions of what ever they want about it.
 Ender330
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2009 7:29:55 AM
All of you do realize that this post is OUTDATED! It was from 2005, when people didn't have 2 or 3 mobile phones, family share plans and My Circle.
 Jer-C-Girl
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2009 6:09:08 PM
I wouldn't think twice about what number to give --- most definitely the cell number. I am a paralegal and I introduced an attorney I used to work with to internet dating. Well, rule number 1 I told her, if you give your number to somebody give your cell number. Uh, turned out that her outgoing message on her cell gave her full name. Duh, now the person has not only her cell number but also home AND work. Had a problem with one caller and I assisted with getting rid of them. Nobody even knows where I live until I see them at least a third time. Again, most definitely cell number first.
 mthomjmark
Msg: 77
Posted: 4/20/2009 10:01:28 PM
for you to be very curious about this question op has me curious as to why you dont' knwo the reason.

many guys have wives, live with girlfriends, and they want to hide their lives; this is a no brainer; very easy to answer.
 barbee1970
Msg: 78
Posted: 4/20/2009 10:24:36 PM
Who wants a land line when they can have a phone where people can reach them anytime, anywhere? Half the time someone calls me I am at work or somewhere else.

And texting my son from few states away(he's in Fla) is awesome! We don't even run up a bill gabbing!
 marita_b
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 4/22/2009 1:56:17 PM
I often think about how fast things are changing these days,...
withing the last hundred years technology has changed more than any other time in history,....I consider the changes in my lifetime,....and then my children's, (young adults now),....the vast differences never fail to impress me.

MINE,...when I first came to Canada in the early sixties,...intercontinental phone calls were just barely available for individuals,...if you could aford to call to (Germany for example), you had to book that call at the crack of dawn with the oversea operator,...you then needed to stay near the phone and wait,...it could take 8 or even more HOURS,....and you couldn't say anything more than Hi you good? were all good here, and Merry Christmas, we'll call you next year,....

When my children were born cell phones, the size of military walkie talkies and computers (comodore 64)were just barely affordable/available,....and you had to know it's language which to me was like learning hyroglifiks, to me,....

The outrageous Star Trek dream was to someday be able to see the person you were talking to over the phone,...It was one of those,....nice but probably not in my lifetime things,....

No way could I have forseen twenty years later I would be making friends with strangers in other countries, as easily as I would to the neighbour down the street,...perhaps even easier,....

It all still boggles my mind,....regularly,....
BTW,....(LOL) we have even changed the language over those years,....changing nouns into verbs along the way,....(googeling)

Which brings me to my point,...(sorry,...bear w/me),...
that being since this thread was started in 2005, we have all collectively come to thins place where many of us in fact exclusively use our cells,....back in 2005 it was still far too expensive a service to be exclusively used,...

back then the motives of someone handing out their cell number might have seemed suspect and have ultirior motives,...not so much today,....

That was only 4 years ago people,....imagine where we will be in another 4,....

(no wonder I feel dumber every year)
 browneyesboo
Msg: 80
Posted: 4/22/2009 2:05:14 PM
I always use my cellphone. There is a phone where I live...but I consider it my
roommate's phone....it's his house.
Cellphones work like regular phones...you can block your number and you can trace
the number if you get it.
I don't have an ulterior motive for using my cellphone...but in this day and age with all
the crazies out there...doesn't hurt to keep your number and location to yourself until
you reach your comfort level.
 Trailrider71
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2009 1:50:29 AM
Nobody, regardless of gender, should give out a number to a stranger that can be traced back to them, where they can be found. Not everybody is a stalker, but you don't know from the first date, for sure. Hope for the best. Plan for the worst.
 marita_b
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2009 6:32:31 AM
here here,...it's nice to hear this coming from a man,...thanks
I have been touting this for years,....
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/21/2009 2:03:19 PM
I have a blackberry.

Why in the world would I pay for a home phone? That's just ridiculous, especially since I am shelling out almost 100 bucks a month for my phone service ... lol.
 barbee1970
Msg: 84
Posted: 5/24/2009 5:24:36 AM
I think land lines are fading away. I went totally wireless. My friends and family can catch me wherever I happen to be. I think lots of people are doing the same.
 GipsyKing
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2009 8:31:05 AM
In this day and age and like most of the other replies I no longer have a land line and just have my cell phone number. If anything that would raise suspicion that someone is not being exactly being honest is the times you can reach them or if you always have to meet somewhere else aside from their place.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why do guys give cell phone numbers instead of home numbers ...is that a clue they are taken?